The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital - Signal Flow Audio Interfaces
Old 20th November 2014
Here for the gear

Slate Digital - Signal Flow

Hey all, been a browser here at GS for quite a while and finally decided to get on here and start discussing. My current setup is entirely ITB with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. When I need to track drums I use an M-Audio Profire 2626. Logic X is my DAW of choice and for years I've just been happy mixing entirely ITB with the stock plugins. I knew my mixes were never going to be pristine and what not, but I've always felt them lacking in many areas that I know analog gear does very well. I decided to demo some of the Slate Digital stuff and have been blow away by how they've transformed lifeless mixes into something I actually think sounds good. I was never really concerned about my mixes sounded because "good enough" was always...good enough. I now create mixes for projects that are used outside of my personal world, so it's time to get these things sounding much better.

The main plugins I'm currently using from Slate are the VCC, VBC, and VTM. On the mix I have been primarily working on my signal flow is what Steven recommends for the individual tracks: VTM -> VCC -> EQ/Comp/Etc. and then on the Master the flow is setup VMixBuss -> VTM -> VBC. With the release of the VMR I am very intrigued to completely start this mix over and go from the ground up using only Slate plugins. I downloaded the trial version of the VMR to test out and am just curious about signal flow and what the most "authentic" way is to replicate what's happening in an analog setup, as well as other signal flows you've found to be effective. I know mixing ITB will never be totally analog, but this is the closest I feel I can get with my setup. So, assuming you had all of the Slate Digital modelers at your disposal, how would you order their signal flow and why?
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear
You are a marketer's dream come true. Congratz.
Old 20th November 2014
Gear Nut

lol @ ^

It's ok, I've bought all of Slate's plugins too cause I'm super happy with the results and I like what they do. Recently bought VMR cause, I was blown away by it.

My workflow (might not be right OR even the best way to do it) is pretty simple.

INDIVIDUAL CHANNELS
First off I go into VTM, push it as hard as I want depending on the source and I'll use the output knob to gain stage into VCC. I try to get it around 0VU and slightly hitting red. This really depends on the source, some sources may not even get close to that point.

After VCC I'll add VMR and really it depends on the chain you want. EQ before compression or compression before EQ, whatever you want out of it. I'll mix and match whatever other 3rd party plugins that need to be used for my source.

BUSSES
I like to use VCC in a way where I group channels to a bus and then use the mixbuss plugin on the bus. Ex: Group all my drum channels to VCC API and put the API mixbuss on the drumbus. Followed by VBC if needed.

MASTERBUS
From what I understood, Mixbuss should be the first plugin in this chain. Then your VBC and then VTM last to emulate your mix going out to a tape machine.

You can of course put VMR either before or after VBC if needed.

Hope this helps
Old 27th November 2014
If you have two VCC groups and say have drums going through one VCC mixbus on a specific console setting and then the guitar group using a different instance of VCC with a different console should you two instances of Mixbuss on the buss channel set to respective groups?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search