The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should i go Protools 11 or 11hd ?
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Should i go Protools 11 or 11hd ?

Hi Guys !

I´m now on Protools 10HD, and ask my self why haven´t I jumped over to 11 ?!
I think its time, but then.. 11HD or do i need it. All Native btw.. RME interface ++

Has anyone jumped from PT10HD to 11 ?

If so, what is your thoughts. Anything you miss from the 10 HD version ?
Old 11th November 2014
Gear Head

I have PT 8HD in one room here at our facility and in another we just installed PT11 (non HD). I have plenty of processing power on the new system, but there are automation functions that I miss desperately on the non HD system. For instance, no TRIM mode and no ability to quickly write an automation value over a selected range. There are other things like multiple video tracks that I also miss but can do without. If these functions are not part of your day to day work flow then PT 11 could work well for you.
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Avid has a upgrade half off sale on hd right now. http://www.avid.com/us/products/pro-...tcmp=AV-HP-S1a

I prefer 11 hd over 11 for post production work (has a ton of little features that you don't miss until you run into them). Also the meter options in hd are really nice if your both itb and otb (i.e. tons of VU options). It's a hassle upgrading from non hd to hd, so i would stick with hd.
Old 11th November 2014
Lives for gear

Thanx Guys !!

Yes, sticking to HD might be the thing to do, eventhough its 400$ more.
Old 11th November 2014
I know in my market, Pro Tools HD carries more weight with clients then LE or Regular 9,10 or 11 systems. I ran 10 on RME cards and Apogee converters but am getting more business now running 10HD on a HD3 accel rig and 192 i/o's clocked with a Isochrone OCX. After getting a good taste of HD in the past year and a half since my switch, I couldn't switch back, the automation and features others mentioned is a big part of it as well as having huge sessions up and being able to cut tracks without H/W buffer issues. Having a client listening to a full on mix and say " hey, I want to add another vocal track, can we do that quickly?" and all I have to do is lower my buffer to 256 and no issues, no shutting down plugs to get rid of latency for a quick track, this is HUGE for me.
Old 12th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
Hi Guys !

I´m now on Protools 10HD, and ask my self why haven´t I jumped over to 11 ?!
I think its time, but then.. 11HD or do i need it. All Native btw.. RME interface ++

Has anyone jumped from PT10HD to 11 ?

If so, what is your thoughts. Anything you miss from the 10 HD version ?
there are a lot of improvements in pro tools 11hd vs 10hd. took me a while to upgrade myself but I don't use 10 now 11 is that good.

If i were u I would get 11 HD because of the disk caching, it makes a huge difference when mixing natively. Seeing as you already own 10hd you should upgrade to 11hd not 11. I own both myself, because I had 10/11 then bought into HD native and got an hd license. i thought about selling 11Hd for a while but im so glad I didn't. I have never used 11 because 11hd turned out to be worth keeping. These are my thoughts on 11HD coming from 10 and 10HD:

1st Biggest thing I noticed recently is when you start doing large mixes and maxing out your computer - the same session is much more responsive in 11hd than 10hd. You can feel the lag on 10hd when you max it out natively. On 11hd you feel almost no lag like the session has no plugins on it, especially with the disk caching! Disk caching is not nearly as effective in 10HD - the Audio Engine in 11/11HD is highly improved. I can also get maybe 10-20 percent more power out of my system on 11. This is on a Hacintosh running mac. I have dual boot mac/windows but never mix on windows.

2nd big thing that is the gui is upgraded, the faders are much larger. At first this may not seem like a big deal, but when you get used to 11 and go back to 10, 10 will look like a joke. The small faders on 10 look so bad compared to 11 it makes u never want to use it again. Also the resolution on 11 is upgraded for Retina displays so its much clearer if you have a better screen (didn't notice it here as i dont have retina).

3rd thing is Offline bounce. I have used that every mix since I got 11. Recording or bouncing to disk always sucked. So offline bounce is a huge help especially if someone sends you a 1 hr podcast or something and you don't want to bounce it in real time. those three things r worth the upgrade price right there.

As far as stability, they are about the same, once your setup you can go for a long time with no crashes or problems. I just got done mixing for 8 hours today, this is what I do every day using 11HD consistently. I can say 11 upgrade is definetly worth it, and get hd because you will want disk caching.

I still wouldn't subscribe to their update plan though as I'm not sure what else we need here. Pro tools is almost perfect in my eyes. I can see myself using 11 for a while.
Old 13th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
Pro tools is almost perfect in my eyes. I can see myself using 11 for a while.
Until Pro Tools 12 comes out....
Old 13th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymetalguy View Post
Until Pro Tools 12 comes out....
lol
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search