The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why I finally agree that FLStudio is ****.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Fl studio is a great daw, if you vibe with it's workflow. It's Achilles heel for many people who are used to or prefer traditional track management (such as myself), is that the mixer, playlist, and sequencer are all independent of each other. It has strengths for people who like to work that way, but for conventional editing is a nightmare. There are so many routing levels involved for basic things it is very tedious.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevisi0nary View Post
Fl studio is a great daw, if you vibe with it's workflow. It's Achilles heel for many people who are used to or prefer traditional track management (such as myself), is that the mixer, playlist, and sequencer are all independent of each other. It has strengths for people who like to work that way, but for conventional editing is a nightmare. There are so many routing levels involved for basic things it is very tedious.
nailed it. I hated how modular it was. There's like 17 different ways to accomplish a single task. That would be good if it wasn't so hard to figure out what was done to accomplish a specific task. I remember having to spend hours to figure out what some parameter had some automation going on, working backwards to figure out where and how it was configured/set up/recorded.
Old 16th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raffivegas View Post
nailed it. I hated how modular it was. There's like 17 different ways to accomplish a single task. That would be good if it wasn't so hard to figure out what was done to accomplish a specific task. I remember having to spend hours to figure out what some parameter had some automation going on, working backwards to figure out where and how it was configured/set up/recorded.
Exactly. I remember trying to remove automation and then learning I had to "delete" it twice. I'm not sure if this was addressed as it's been some years since I used it but this type of thing is the opposite of practical.
Old 17th July 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Not much has change in the way of workflow since this thread was started, basically FL's workflow has been stagnant for many years. Most of the updates are a distraction from the fact that the core of the application isn't seeing any significant improvement. I don't even know why they bother to code free instrument plugins like FLEX (delivered recently), when the following have sucked for years and still suck:
  • Window management
  • Browser
  • Large arrangement management (e.g. no folder tracks)
  • Color selection
  • Renaming clips in playlist
  • Snap to grid
  • No way to tell which parameters an automation clip is linked to
  • ... and more

FL does some things very well but the UX is very messy and inconsistent across the board. Every update fails to deliver on the promise of a better UX and I'm reaching now considering other options, not that they other options are perfect either. It's just that Bitwig seems to be going in the direction I'd like FL to go, at a much faster pace.
This isn't an attack btw - just an observation:
Yep window management and browsing is still not great.
You can group tracks in arrangement mode (and you can group channels) and collapse/expand them.
You can colour song tracks, channels, mixer channels etc.. not sure what you mean by color selection.
You can rename clips in the song mode playlists.
FL has always had extremely robust snapping...?
Automation clips have the name of the parameter, but sometimes it can be cryptic.

They recently introduced instrument tracks so a generator (sampler/synth/whatever) channel can now 'own' a mixer channel, which was one of my my main issues because of the over-modularity.

My main gripe with fl studio is it takes forever to lay out a song structure oh and sample management is AWFUL. The plugin database is still a bit of a mess but it's getting better.

I'm not sure how one couldn't get along with FL Studio unless they were used to another DAW, because definitely it is its own beast, but a super powerful flexible beast.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search