The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why I finally agree that FLStudio is ****.
Old 10th November 2014
  #31
Lives for gear
 

For me it's strange enough to judge any DAW by its bundled plugins rather than its workflow, and that seems to go doubly so for Fruity Loops.

I can't say I've spent much time with it, but it always struck me as having a very unique interface and workflow, and as such would either suit an individual much better than anything else, or be a great hindrance, depending on who they were and how they liked to work.

If your time has any value at all, then in the long run having a DAW that YOU work quickly and intuitively on is probably more important than which plugins come with it.
Old 10th November 2014
  #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Not sure what eJay is
eJay




Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceemaster
And I work with more audio not midi...
That's the key FL Studio is (IMO) best used for midi based music. If you need to track a lot of live instruments, then yeah, it can get annoying. On the other hand, I find most of the ways other DAWs deal with vst instruments cumbersome, so it depends. But you can of course layer some stuff up in FL, then export to a another DAW with better multitrack recording & editing options and continue working on that song
Old 10th November 2014
  #33
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muser View Post
right down the middle
thats some funny sh!t dude


and eJay?... that stuff is soooo shady? they don't even offer screenshots for it. FACEPALM
Old 10th November 2014
  #34
Gear Head
 
Wondering Pigeon's Avatar
 

Everyone took this the wrong way! I still use FL studio and don't plan on switching anytime soon or at all for that matter. I use studio one for tracking actual bands and I use FL strictly for electronic/hip-hop/pop/EDM. I was just saying FLStudio comes off as childish and inconvenient compared to other daws in terms of structure/workflow and plugins, if it was not for the midi sequencer and piano roll it'd be useless, it is just as powerful as any other daw, I know. Some of the biggest hits in the world right now were made in FL, but in terms of stock and gui it's garbage and they have made little effort to improve, I mean has anyone seen what FL 12 is going to look like? They actually took a massive step back while Reason, cubase, logic, studio one and ableton are all taking steps forward.
Old 11th November 2014
  #35
Gear Head
Yea I seen 12 looks pretty cool... But it was a long time ago when it first came out and you could demo it
Old 11th November 2014
  #36
Gear Nut
 
MEDISIN's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSICMUSIC View Post
damn i didnt know arya stark was a FL user.
Old 11th November 2014
  #37
Lives for gear
 
peter_martin's Avatar
 

Sometimes people need to shift their paradigm on thinking "I only need to use one DAW for EVERYTHING".

I really enjoy using FL Studio (using the Mac version sans my Waves plugins - license center can't work and don't ever see myself mixing in the thing) to get ideas out quickly and render stems.

FL Studio is TERRIBLE as a mix environment, and Ableton's PDC for bussing (mix wise) is ****te.

Bought FL Studio way back in 2003 and still to this day get free upgrades. Revisited it earlier this year when the Mac beta was fairly solid and to my delight has been fun. Get something going super super quick, bounce the stems to Ableton to do further sound design - rehearse - perform, but not mix.

Enjoy mixing in Logic, and no so much ProTools.

Again no DAW will ever do everything.
Use them for their relative strengths.

Old 11th November 2014
  #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering Pigeon View Post
Everyone took this the wrong way!
What do you expect when you set a title like "Why I finally agree that FLStudio is ****"?



@qb748t394: eJay is pretty much "let's make a song for dummies" - they give you what we nowadays call kits and you just arrange the loops anyway you want to make some tunes. It's good for one thing: getting ppl that have no musical training and no knowledge about music plugins interested in making a "song". It's fun for an absolute novice and might light that creative spark in you that will push you to actually learn doing it the proper way
Old 11th November 2014
  #39
Gear Maniac
There seems to be a bit of stigma around FL Studio from its earlier ‘Fruity’ days… definitely gave it an air of beginnerism, and I think I heard that was one of the main reasons behind the name change.

Now though, it’s got features that I wish would be brought into Logic - that patcher and slip edit tool would be much used over here!
Old 11th November 2014
  #40
Re; eJay ...

Ah I see now. Any software, samples etc that have to have pics of sexy women on it must indeed be total crap ... much less pics with hooded thugs on it :eyeroll:

Re; The way you dress...

This say's a LOT about the kind of person you are IMO. Whenever I drive around and see some dipschlitz walking with his pants halfway down the thighs, it makes me want to shoot em lol. I picture FL users has these types lol

Re; One DAW to do 'everything' ... I don't see why not? I use Cubase to do everything I need to do, whether I need to record myself sing, play guitar, bass, drums, key's, program/write midi by way of mouse, or by playing a midi instrument (midi guitar, bass, drums), use virtual instruments, use outboard midi sound modules, etc. I would think that with any 'other' DAW software, I'd still be able to do all the above, and would work out just as well for me...once I got myself acclimated to using it....probably even Fruity Loops!
Old 12th November 2014
  #41
Yeah, at first FL was good mainy at building drum loops. Hence the central pattern generator. Unfortunately that's also why many ppl find it a bit awkward to work with (layout wise), because the piano roll is "hidden", while the multitracker is called "playlist" and not opened by default in earlier versions. But once you do understand how it works and organize your window with the browser on the left, the pattern in the middle and the playlist on the right (or any way you want) it becomes dead easy to work with. And like I've previously said, the vst instrument implementation is simly awesome.
So yeah, they had to change the name because ppl kept thinking that it's still just a loop creating tool, and not a proper DAW

As for the "one DAW to do it all"...IMO it's not a matter of being able to do everything in one host (they all meet - more or less - that requirement), but rather doing it very well, fast & simple. And that's the thing: some offer excellent capabilities for specific jobs, others not so. In the end, with enough time spent on learning the DAW in and out you can do it, but some simply prefer to do the job today rather than tomorrow and use multiple DAWs to achieve that goal (including me - well, in my case it has something to do with the DAWs' limitations as well - working on an old machine has its drawbacks, heh).
Old 12th November 2014
  #42
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering Pigeon View Post
Now don't get me wrong, I have used nothing but FL for 4 years I was a fanboy... But after witnessing all the great new versions of daws recently being released like Reason 8, Cubase 7 and Logic pro X, I finally understood why FL is frowned upon and gets so much hate. I'll start with a prelude. I understand that it has nothing to do with the daw and it's all about the user.. But that's a subjective con to people who are poor or on a budget. Although FL comes with some great plugins like Harmor.. and.. Well that's the only Plugin it comes with that's worth noting.. I mean yeah Poizon, 3x osc, and sytrus are good, but then you have flops like wasp, harmless and autogun. They just aren't that powerful in my opinion. And the stock samples I.e drums/loops/one shots are just the worst I've ever heard.. and if that wasn't bad enough you literally only get a few plugins even buying the signature bundle only give you maximus and sytrus, yeah they are pre loaded but you have to buy them in order to actually use them so Harmor/Poizon/Harmless all useless. It's like FL is just a coloring book that doesn't come with crayons, you have to buy them all yourself, so how are you supposed to make anything decent with samples and presets and synth engines that are so weak? That's right, stripped to bare bones FL is ****. The thing I hate most about FL is the childish GUI and awkward layout which is why I hate it.. The only thing that keeps me sticking with FL is the piano roll/step sequencer and nothing more. Ableton and Reason have the worst in my opinion but again subjective. If it wasn't for that I would have switched to reason a long ass time ago.
Not a cool story, bro.
Old 12th November 2014
  #43
Gear Addict
 

Pfft! Fruity Loops doesn't even come with a free toy.....like this awesome blue plastic demon whistle I found in my box of Cubase.
Old 12th November 2014
  #44
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
Pfft! Fruity Loops doesn't even come with a free toy.....like this awesome blue plastic demon whistle I found in my box of Cubase.
Yes!! Lol

stolen for signature!
Old 12th November 2014
  #45
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
What do you expect when you set a title like "Why I finally agree that FLStudio is ****"?



@qb748t394: eJay is pretty much "let's make a song for dummies" - they give you what we nowadays call kits and you just arrange the loops anyway you want to make some tunes. It's good for one thing: getting ppl that have no musical training and no knowledge about music plugins interested in making a "song". It's fun for an absolute novice and might light that creative spark in you that will push you to actually learn doing it the proper way
excellent point!

@hollandturbine: "demon whistle"?.. what?
Old 20th November 2014
  #46
I have been using FL Studio for over 10 years and I Disagree 98%. FL Studio in its stock form may not be all that great, but if the user can make or upload their own samples it is by far the easiest to use. As far as quality beats, you can make just as amazing beats on FL Studio as any other DAW(however I do use Logic also). It is up to the user to make the beats good by tweaking their own samples and adding effects, or using good plug-ins in which most are free and very good. It takes the right kind of ears to make quality beats. Check out my recordings! All made with FL Studio but some samples were recorded with Logic!
Old 20th November 2014
  #47
Lives for gear
 
CocaineAudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering Pigeon View Post
Now don't get me wrong, I have used nothing but FL for 4 years I was a fanboy... But after witnessing all the great new versions of daws recently being released like Reason 8, Cubase 7 and Logic pro X, I finally understood why FL is frowned upon and gets so much hate. I'll start with a prelude. I understand that it has nothing to do with the daw and it's all about the user.. But that's a subjective con to people who are poor or on a budget. Although FL comes with some great plugins like Harmor.. and.. Well that's the only Plugin it comes with that's worth noting.. I mean yeah Poizon, 3x osc, and sytrus are good, but then you have flops like wasp, harmless and autogun. They just aren't that powerful in my opinion. And the stock samples I.e drums/loops/one shots are just the worst I've ever heard.. and if that wasn't bad enough you literally only get a few plugins even buying the signature bundle only give you maximus and sytrus, yeah they are pre loaded but you have to buy them in order to actually use them so Harmor/Poizon/Harmless all useless. It's like FL is just a coloring book that doesn't come with crayons, you have to buy them all yourself, so how are you supposed to make anything decent with samples and presets and synth engines that are so weak? That's right, stripped to bare bones FL is ****. The thing I hate most about FL is the childish GUI and awkward layout which is why I hate it.. The only thing that keeps me sticking with FL is the piano roll/step sequencer and nothing more. Ableton and Reason have the worst in my opinion but again subjective. If it wasn't for that I would have switched to reason a long ass time ago.
So you're basically mad that the stock sounds are bad? Lol bro who uses stock sounds? Lol... If you don't have the money and want decent sounds from the beginning.. Yea I c your argue ment... But generally speaking... Stock sounds and drums are bad (to my ears at least). That gives you no reason to bash fl studio though... With any daw, you're going to have to go out and get those vsts to take your music to another level regardless
Old 20th November 2014
  #48
As I see, almost nobody agrees with you. allot of people use it. nobody buys FL Studio for the samples and vst it includes. so your calling Fl Studio ****ty just because it does not include the samples and VST's that you like? is that correct?
Old 21st March 2015
  #49
When it comes to beat making on the computer, Reason is a much better beat making program, combine it with your favorite DAW and some good VST's and your set.
Old 22nd March 2015
  #50
Gear Maniac
 
AndrasFL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandturbine View Post
Pfft! Fruity Loops doesn't even come with a free toy.....like this awesome blue plastic demon whistle I found in my box of Cubase.
So funny :D
Old 22nd March 2015
  #51
Lives for gear
 
Will The Weirdo's Avatar
I have found that some people just can't take constructive criticism, lol.
Old 22nd March 2015
  #52
Lives for gear
I think this can add to the debate:
http://youtu.be/o99TUSSqOJE
Old 22nd March 2015
  #53
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
When it comes to beat making on the computer, Reason is a much better beat making program, combine it with your favorite DAW and some good VST's and your set.
i think everyone uses the tool they are comfortable with and know who to use. I am in the NI Maschine camp. That said, i think the well made AKAI MPC stuff sounds amazing .
Old 23rd March 2015
  #54
Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
i think everyone uses the tool they are comfortable with and know who to use. I am in the NI Maschine camp. That said, i think the well made AKAI MPC stuff sounds amazing .
yeah your right about that. Gotta find the tools that work for you!
Old 23rd March 2015
  #55
Gear Maniac
 
AndrasFL's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qb748t394 View Post
excellent point!

@hollandturbine: "demon whistle"?.. what?
It's a funny comment about Cubase blue protection dongle.
When you buy cubase you'll get a really cool blue demon whistle. FL Studio doesn't give you a cool toy like cubase does :D
Attached Thumbnails
Why I finally agree that FLStudio is shit.-lllave-para-cubase-steinberg-dongle-usb-elicenser-16873-mla20128782695_072014-f.jpg  
Old 27th March 2015
  #56
Gear Nut
I use Cubase 7.5 and love it, so I don't know much about Fl. But Sytrus is more than a "good" synth, it's awesome, one I much prefer over Harmor. It's the synth that first got me really into FM Synthesis. Once I caught on to its admittedly tricky (and bizarrely tiny) layout, the payback in sound design was bountiful and consistent.
Old 27th March 2015
  #57
Gear Addict
 

Paragraphs are our friend.

..................


I guess this is home now.

All we can expect for the future...

Insult FLStudio. Get a pile on. Two minutes hate.


Image-Line got 99 problems, but fruityloops ain't one!


The fellas at Image-Line could use a few lessons in a few things, but on the whole, how to create a very useful DAW ain't one of them. It is insanely powerful when you learn how to use it. Granted, it might be a bit lacking in the hardware integration stakes, but it is also a lot easier than some other DAWs for setting some controllers up.

It's almost like a sport. Give FL a kicking. Any one that has used it knows its power. Knows to treat those that know and use it with respect. Ok, the mixer is a bit convoluted and lacking. I won't even go there and pretend to know its limitations, cos so many people do that so much better than me.

The great thing is. It was around at the beginning and it's still here in the big fight fest that is the DAW wars now. Ok, they are just concentrating on Vector support for now, but that's a big job. I hate the look of it, but that's just me. I hate the ****ty support. I hate the arrogant attitude of the people in charge there. I hate I have to buy glasses just to read the gui.

But, I can still make great music with it. And so can a lot of other people. The fact that most of the people _not_ doing that today are clueless 18 year old kids that will be deaf by the time they are 25 has nothing to do with it.

FLStudio is a wonder. A gift.

Sorry I added nothing to the debate. I was going to make a point. But I just rambled like everyone else. Oh well.

Hopefully you could at least read my incoherent thoughts, because they were not jumbled up into one giant cluster**** of a super paragraph, like the OP's.
Old 28th March 2015
  #58
Lives for gear
 

Old 28th March 2015
  #59
Lives for gear
 
kaboom75's Avatar
Some decent producers use FL. I use Ableton live because it came free with my midi controller I prefair it's look over FL. I demoed all the other top DAWS and none were as good as Ableton for ease of use and features. Anything missing or bad in FL or any DAW can be brought up to the best by using third party plugins.

Last edited by kaboom75; 28th March 2015 at 07:53 PM..
Old 12th July 2019
  #60
Lives for gear
 
Scoox's Avatar
Not much has change in the way of workflow since this thread was started, basically FL's workflow has been stagnant for many years. Most of the updates are a distraction from the fact that the core of the application isn't seeing any significant improvement. I don't even know why they bother to code free instrument plugins like FLEX (delivered recently), when the following have sucked for years and still suck:
  • Window management
  • Browser
  • Large arrangement management (e.g. no folder tracks)
  • Color selection
  • Renaming clips in playlist
  • Snap to grid
  • No way to tell which parameters an automation clip is linked to
  • ... and more

FL does some things very well but the UX is very messy and inconsistent across the board. Every update fails to deliver on the promise of a better UX and I'm reaching now considering other options, not that they other options are perfect either. It's just that Bitwig seems to be going in the direction I'd like FL to go, at a much faster pace.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump