The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KitCore Deluxe question DAW Software
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Head

Question KitCore Deluxe question

Hello, gearslutz. I had composed this question for Sonoma and then was unable to send it to them. Hopefully someone here knows about KitCore and its usability.

I'm looking to get either SSD4 Platinum or KitCore Deluxe (and I realize that someday I may very well end up with both, but for now, with my limited college budget I'm looking at choosing one or another first) and I had some questions about KitCore's abilities.

See, as SSD4 can output to different mixer tracks in Pro Tools, I should be able to do whatever I need with it ... EXCEPT getting good cymbal sounds. That's where KitCore comes in. The Terry Bozzio cymbals are perfect, and very different from all the plain, standard-fare stuff in SSD (unless they have a lot of little chinas and splashes that I don't know about).

But ... as for getting a great bass and snare sound (maybe toms?) ... I know in KitCore I can mix and match drums, but that doesn't tell me, for instance, if I could layer two snare drums together to make one that I like, and adjust the mix of each. Or three kick drums, or whatever.

I also don't know if I can tune the drums or not. I don't think KitCore has envelope adjustments, which might be nice, but maybe not necessary if I can get drums that already sound great.

I also understand that KitCore is 32-bit, but when I see "will not work on 64-bit systems," or however it's worded, it makes me worry that it won't work on Win7 64-bit edition, even though I'm using 32-bit Pro Tools 10. I can use any other 32-bit program here, so I wanted to make sure KitCore would run.

Also, I don't really care about the audio file loops, so I'm not interested in DrumCore unless it has editing features that KitCore does not. Also, if KitCore does not with version 2, but if, say, a version 3 is about to roll out with these features, I'd be glad to know about that as well.

What would one do in KitCore to get the drum sounds they want, if none of the kits they select is quite right? Would they need to layer instances of the program? Would this work if there is not tuning adjustments?

Thanks for your time.
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Addict

I am pretty sure that drumcore 4 lite (if it's ever released) is the replacement for kitcore. Kitcore is 32 bit only and seems to be blended into Drumcore 4 for the next iteration. Sonoma starting selling upgrades almost a year ago and it's still not out.

DrumCore 4 Lite (pre-order) [005-000427] - $49.00 : Sonoma Wire Works, Online Store
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

The 32-bit KitCore demo, as it turns out, runs just fine on Win7 64-bit. But I'm using PT10.

I don't see any way of layering or doing anything to the drum sounds other than pitch and panning. Maybe this is why more people don't use it. But man ... those Bozzio cymbals.

Are there ways to do some of the things I've mentioned, and just can't find in the demo?

Thanks again.
Old 6th November 2014
I've used Drumcore up to version 2 and it didn't have layers or mixing of 2 sounds, even though you can have the 2 sounds in your mixer and hit them at the same time (workaround).
I am not sure what happened after V2, as Sonoma took over and I lost interest as development seemed to become really slow. V2 is Rewire only and 32 bit, which does not float my boat.
But those Bozzio drums indeed are the shizznit....
Old 13th November 2014
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply.

So basically, if we wanted to layer a snare drum, we'd have to have two kits open (you choose a snare, right? But cannot place a snare in a different cell than what originally had a snare?)

I've thought of something else.

Is there a way to choke cymbals?

Thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search