The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Software or plugin that would match two track volumes.. Metering & Analysis Plugins
Old 29th October 2014
Here for the gear

Software or plugin that would match two track volumes..

Hello, is there some type of plugin/software that would allow me to match two tracks for same perceived volume. I have the same vocal line recorded twice but apparently the person who recorded it had different recording settings for each take. Am trying to pan them out but one always seems louder than the other, so the pan is off....so apart from my ears....

Thanks a bunch
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Head

Why cant you just bring the volume down on one?
Old 30th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hey cherub2g thanks for reply, I obviously tried moving volumes up and down,the only solution so far I found is to do it with automation and my ears....as the volumes are different on each track and throughout the song ( Exact same vocal line on both tracks), the total stereo pan shifts all the time from too much L to too much R.
Was just wondering if there was like a plug I can put on each track that would like calculate to make same perceived volume on both equal all along the track...
I believe the key word is perceived volume to maintain an equal stereo balance....something like melda auto align but for perceived volume.
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Addict

This thing might just work: AutoGain volume automation vst plugin - HoRNet Plugins
Old 30th October 2014
Here for the gear

@Dimmy... Nasty....I believe that's it.... thanks will try asap
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear
if it's a lead vocal, double tracked the double
is supposed to be as humanly possible exactly the same
in timing, intensity , dynamic and pitch..
If is not, either have the singer do that (re track)
or you'll have to manually edit timing,
automate volume for both track thru the whole song,
compress them (send to a stereo bus, use dual mono comp),
tune them.
The end result it'll probably be questionable anyway

If the tracks have been recorded at different distance from the mic,
very lil you can do to fix that.

And regardless all of the above, I wouldn't pan hard LR
a double tracked lead (if not on "special parts" in the song)

But if you still only want to fix the volume difference
in the tracks you have, automate volume, or compress
the s#hit out of them, or both
Old 30th October 2014
Gear Nut

Try Perception bh Ian Shepherd

Or use a LUFS meter to match them
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeplaya View Post
Was just wondering if there was like a plug I can put on each track that would like calculate to make same perceived volume on both equal all along the track...
I believe the key word is perceived volume to maintain an equal stereo balance....
That is indeed the key word. It's also the reason why no such software or hardware exists. There's no formula for human perception, even for a specific individual -- your perception changes throughout the day, depending on what you've been doing, your diet, how much sleep you had, etc. Some people are deaf to certain frequency ranges that drive other people up the wall. And we haven't even begun to account for the differences in playback systems (what might sound perfectly level to you on one system may sound off on another).

We simply can't define what loudness means in absolute terms. So instead of perception formulas we use energy or power formulas, scaled and averaged in various ways to try to accommodate the characteristics of human hearing. Some metrics are simple (VU); some are more complicated (LUFS); but none can tell you when two things will have the same volume.

As always, your best tool is your own ears. Automating vocal volume can be drudgery but it's part of the job. For really unruly vocals, I'd attack the problem in multiple steps, first getting the big dynamic swings under control with automation and compression, then rendering the tracks and doing a second automation/compression pass for the finer details. Repeat as often as necessary.
Old 30th October 2014
Here for the gear

Thanks all for replies !
@Retinal yes you nailed the issue, mic distance is the main issue...and thanks for tips. @elauria thanks, will try it out, sounds interesting indeed...
@bogosort yes totally agreed! thanks for suggestions...
Old 30th October 2014
Lives for gear

NUGEN Audio Mastercheck
Old 26th November 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeplaya View Post
Hello, is there some type of plugin/software that would allow me to match two tracks for same perceived volume. I have the same vocal line recorded twice but apparently the person who recorded it had different recording settings for each take. Am trying to pan them out but one always seems louder than the other, so the pan is off....so apart from my ears....

Thanks a bunch
Did you ever figure out a good way to do this? Having a similar problem from a different angle. Was recording some (awful) rapper the other day, who said he had beats - turns out we had to download them from youtube. As mp3's. Some people...

Anyway all the tracks are made by different people, and their volumes are all over the place. Recording this guy was a nightmare, and I flat rated him for the mix. Now I have to deal with all these track volumes and I would love to be able to wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am it and wash my hands of it all. I've already put in way more time than I wanted trying to make his wack ass vocals sit in the mix somewhat consistently.

It doesn't have to be perfect this guy won't know the difference, and I'm pretty sure his "mixtape dropping" won't rock the rap world like he thinks it will.

So anyway did you find a plug that worked for you? How did that Hornet pan out?
Old 26th November 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherub2g View Post
Why cant you just bring the volume down on one?
This and compressing the two signals should work?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search