The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cooledit 2.1 on Windows 7? DAW Software
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Head

Cooledit 2.1 on Windows 7?

Hey everyone, I'm looking to use cooledit 2.1 on my windows 7 setup but for the life of me I cant get the directx plugins to work, "undefined external error" even without any plugins on if I just hit the refresh effects list button and try to press play afterwards the error comes.. completely locks up cooledit till I reopen it.

Other than that cooledit works fine on windows 7.. I've test two computers both have the same issue

I've tried all sorts of things.. compatibility mode, run as admin, changed to multiple output devices, etc..

THERE HAS TO BE A FIX.. and I'm hoping the genius is reading this.. I already expect a bunch of replies from people with no idea how to fix it who just wanted to get their post count up or something? seems to be the trend on this forum but JUST MAYBE.... someone will help. worth the try, thanks.

P.S. I've had multiple daw's.. I'm running pro tools 10 now, I just like cooledit better than anyother daw.. including audition, for quick projects.
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear
Try running VMWare and adding a Windows XP session to your Win 7 computer.... and you just open that operating system up when you want to work in Cool Edit
Old 28th October 2014
Gear Head

Not a bad idea atleast it would work, but I don't want to deal with possible input and output delays and just all around clutter and drive space for something that seems like it would have a simple fix.. The biggest change from xp to windows 7 I can think of that would possibly cause the problem is the version of directx being much newer.. and I can't figure out a command for cooledit to try to use dx9
Old 5th November 2014
Gear Head

bump.. If anyone can solve this issue ill shoot them some money on paypal.. It's worth it to me. My favorite daw and if I had directx capabilities I could convert most vsts and wouldn't need any other daw..
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear
Which version of DirectX does Cool Edit support? I'm not interested in trying to figure it out too lol, just out of curiousity
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear
Okay did some digging.. think I understand the problem.

Cool Edit Pro DirectX plugins were likely meant for DirectX 8, which seems like it was the directx version for Windows XP back in 2001-2004 (circa).

DirectX 9 is supposed to be backwards compatible, and in theory should work... however it seems like in actuality it probably won't, b/c old software like CEP don't seem to play nice with it. It's worth a shot installing DirectX 9, but probably won't work: How to install directx 8 on windows 7 64 bit - Configuration - Windows 7 . The person in this thread tried and his only hope was to contact the software developer to get them to get the plugins working for DirectX9 (which is the last DirectX to be backwards compatible). Since CEP is discontinued, obviously that's not gonna happen for you lol.

Your only shot is to 1) do serious research and try to find a good trusted copy of the DirectX 8 installer and see if you can install it on Win 7. Looks like it's gonna be tough, many have tried but I don't see any successes yet. That's your best hope.

If not, the only other solution is running Win XP thru VMware like I mentioned.

Hope this helps, and good luck! If it were me, I would try DirectX9 first to see what happens. If that doesn't work, dig high and low for DirectX 8. If you can't find it, i'd either do WMWare.. or basically give up lol.
Old 6th November 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Okay did some digging.. think I understand the problem.

Cool Edit Pro DirectX plugins were likely meant for DirectX 8, which seems like it was the directx version for Windows XP back in 2001-2004 (circa).

DirectX 9 is supposed to be backwards compatible, and in theory should work... however it seems like in actuality it probably won't, b/c old software like CEP don't seem to play nice with it. It's worth a shot installing DirectX 9, but probably won't work: How to install directx 8 on windows 7 64 bit - Configuration - Windows 7 . The person in this thread tried and his only hope was to contact the software developer to get them to get the plugins working for DirectX9 (which is the last DirectX to be backwards compatible). Since CEP is discontinued, obviously that's not gonna happen for you lol.

Your only shot is to 1) do serious research and try to find a good trusted copy of the DirectX 8 installer and see if you can install it on Win 7. Looks like it's gonna be tough, many have tried but I don't see any successes yet. That's your best hope.

If not, the only other solution is running Win XP thru VMware like I mentioned.

Hope this helps, and good luck! If it were me, I would try DirectX9 first to see what happens. If that doesn't work, dig high and low for DirectX 8. If you can't find it, i'd either do WMWare.. or basically give up lol.
Lol.. nice input, I did try directx9 but there was no command to make cooledit use dx9 instead of 11.. I tried -dx9 in the command line but the program isn't setup to understand commands like that, I don't think 8 would make much difference considering I know for a fact cooledit works with dx9 on xp.. I'm not really into giving up.. I'll keep trying different things.. also will keep checking back on this thread like I said if someone figures it out I'll pay them on the same day.
Old 23rd January 2015
Gear Nut

I had no issues getting Cool Edit 2000 running on Win 7 x64 other than the usual Win 7 buried mixer controls and the absence of DirectX 9.

My DirectX plugins would fail because they would not, as previously pointed out in this thread, run under DirectX 11. Apparently a lot of gamers have had this issue with their programs.

This is the error message received when running Cool Edit plug-ins under Win 7 x64:

"'Unable to connect with the specified filter. Most likely, this is because the output of the specified filter does not match that of the selection...

Others have also pointed out that running Cool Edit in XP compatability mode alone did not solve the problem.

I was able to get CoolEdit running with DirectX 9 by downloading and installing the DirectX 9 runtime.

Download DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer from Official Microsoft Download Center

Quote:
The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime provides updates to 9.0c and previous versions of DirectX — the core Windows® technology that drives high-speed multimedia and games on the PC.
The need for the Directx 9 runtime for compatability in the Win 7 x64 DirectX 11 environment is explained here: How to install the latest version of DirectX

Quote:
Install DirectX End-User Runtime if your application or game requires an earlier version of DirectX. Some applications and games require DirectX 9. However, your computer includes a more recent version of DirectX. If you install and then run an application or game that requires DirectX 9, you might receive an error message such as "The program can't start because d3dx9_35.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Note When you run this package, no change is made to your version of DirectX, Direct3D 9, Direct3D 10.x, Direct3D 11.x, DirectInput, DirectSound, DirectPlay, DirectShow, or DirectMusic.
I then ran the Win 7 program compatibility troubleshooter for CoolEdit 2000 with the DirectX 9.0c runtime installed. The compatibility mode that was automatically selected was XP SP2.

After that CoolEdit 2000 was able to run my 2002-era DirectX 9 plug-in.

Running dxdiag Win 7 still reports it is running Directx 11; Cool Edit, running in XP compatibility mode, is apparently using the Directx 9.0c runtime.

YMMV.

Wayne

Last edited by mediatechnology; 3rd February 2015 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: Clarity, Added photo of error message
Old 25th April 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Running dxdiag Win 7 still reports it is running Directx 11; Cool Edit, running in XP compatibility mode, is apparently using the Directx 9.0c runtime.
Hi.
Could you explain this a little more in-depth, please?
I'm having the same problem as a topicstarter.

I can't run my Direct X plugins at CEP 2.0
I'm getting this Device error.
I've installed the old DirectX, set the compatibilty to WindowsXP, but still no luck.

Can someone help me out?
Old 25th April 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'm getting this Device error.
FWIW I am not running CoolEdit 2000 in compatibility mode in a Win 7 x64 environment.
CoolEdit seems to run fine in Win 7 without XP emulation.

Is it seeing audio hardware?
With the DirectX incompatibility I saw filter errors.

Look at Options|Settings|Devices tab and see what audio devices you have available. This is what my Win 7 x64 motherboard's audio hardware looks like:

If those look OK or can't be made to work then we need to look elsewhere.

You might try taking CoolEdit's environment out of XP compatibility mode.

Also note for future reference that the Cool.ini file exists in a number of places but only one is used. I think mine is in /Users/. When you make a change to settings you might want to search for Cool.ini, find the one with the latest file date and save the path for future reference.

When you do get it running beware of unexpected SR conversion in Win 7.

Last edited by mediatechnology; 25th April 2017 at 02:37 PM..
Old 26th April 2017
Here for the gear

Early versions of Cool Edit (like 1.2) are working perfectly with DirectX on my machine.

I can't get to work DX in 2.1 version.
And 2.1 Device tab is different.

It's like this

It sees my external audio hardware, but when I'm trying to use any of DirectX plugins, I'm getting this External Device Error and CoolEdit refuses to play any audio getting this error again and again.

Error message
Old 26th April 2017
Gear Nut

I'm running V1.1 of Cool Edit 2000.
Old 27th April 2017
Here for the gear

I know that, but the problem is in 2.1 version.
Version 1 works fine except for few playing problems.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search