The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pro Tools + Ableton or Pro Tools + Cubase? DAW Software
Old 24th October 2014
Gear Head

Pro Tools + Ableton or Pro Tools + Cubase?

Hey folks. Thank you for your patience having yet another "daw comparison thread", but I haven't found any discussions concerning "complementary DAW"

I'm currently working on Pro Tools, and I'm quite happy with it. None the less, I'm looking for a complimentary DAW for midi programming.

I've worked my way around midi in Pro Tools for long, and I'm able to pull off pretty decent midi tracks for things like drum sequencing, but my main issue with Pro Tools is that In all my years using it, I haven't been able to pull off great synth tracks for more electro stuff.

This is why I've chosen to try a new workflow which would consist of making arrangements,program all my midi and track minor things in one DAW (either Live or Cubase), and then bring it back to PT for tracking guitars, vocals, real drums (if any), and mixing.

Having said that, which one would you choose, and why?

I personally think Live packs GREAT programming sounds, and feels pretty inspiring to me. The fact that it can host VST and AU is a great plus, and I love how beautifully easy it is to automate the parameters of anything. I don't really like the audio tracking so far, and it feels a bit messier than cubase to some extent, but being a complement of PT would be great, I think.

And also, with Cubase, I think it's an all rounder, but I'm not digging too much the VI's that come with it. I love the midi programming and all, but I feel like getting Cubase would mean a total change in workflow, since you can do pretty much everything in it. Then again, it doesn't offer everything that Ableton Suite offers in terms of Virtual Instruments. (I'll still be purchasing synths like Sylenth and Nexus)

I'd love to know your inputs as to both of these DAWs keeping in mind that I don't want to SWITCH, but to get a daw to do what PT can't offer, which is heavy midi programming and, mostly, VST's and facilities for electronic music production.

Thanks!
Old 24th October 2014
Deleted User
Having used both Cubase and Protools here I would say they are more similar in flow/function than not. IF Live is inspiring you that seems like the choice. BUT, Id check on how well the rewire works with Protools, bugs etc. Cubase easily wipes Protools with midi function but the VST's are probably more interesting to you with Live
Old 25th October 2014
Lives for gear

Cubase and Ableton are two entirely different applications for two very different purposes. It really depends on what you need and want in the long run. Ableton is a production tool first, and a tracking/recording app second. Cubase does both very well, but cannot match Ableton's workflow for quick production.
Old 25th October 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post
Cubase and Ableton are two entirely different applications for two very different purposes. It really depends on what you need and want in the long run. Ableton is a production tool first, and a tracking/recording app second. Cubase does both very well, but cannot match Ableton's workflow for quick production.

Old 26th October 2014
Gear Head

Totally agreed. Cubase is a huge tool. But I'm thinking it could be too much for what I need, since I do (and love doing) all the tracking from within PT.

That's why I was thinking that if I purchase Cubase, I might as well switch to Cubase, but the idea doesn't turn me on as much, because there are several things I like more in Pro Tools.
Old 28th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.donoso View Post
Totally agreed. Cubase is a huge tool. But I'm thinking it could be too much for what I need, since I do (and love doing) all the tracking from within PT.

That's why I was thinking that if I purchase Cubase, I might as well switch to Cubase, but the idea doesn't turn me on as much, because there are several things I like more in Pro Tools.
Just stick with PT if you like it. There's no reason to switch DAWs unless you're sick of the one you're in, or you absolutely have to for some reason.

GL
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search