The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"Downgrading" might make more sense Audio Interfaces
Old 21st October 2014
Gear Nut

"Downgrading" might make more sense

My current setup is a Fireface UFX, Mac Mini i7 2.6, and Pro Tools 10. I'm at a point where I could make a bit of leap and getting enough projects into feel good about a new, even more solid investment. However, as I look at the DAW market and Apple…I can't help buy think they're both going in directions I don't like.

After exhaustive research, Pro Tools is definitely the DAW for me as it does everything the way I need it to, the way I like it. The HD systems have the last bit of feature set I would like (VCA, Disk Cache, Proper compensation for outboard, etc).

But here's my real question…am I insane for thinking that I should flip my current set up and get a technologically dead PT 10HD setup? It does everything I need it to, there's not a question there, but investing in used and "dead" tech kind of scares the hell out of me. Obviously thousands of major studios are still on 10HD systems (or older), so they're still valuable in terms of work…but yeah, just scared to get older tech instead of what I have. Say, an old Mac Pro tower, and HD2 system and a 192. Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search