The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I would like to upgrade from Saffire 56 to something higher-end, but under 2.5k Audio Interfaces
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

I would like to upgrade from Saffire 56 to something higher-end, but under 2.5k

I like my Saffire 56, but would like to take the next step up, but stay below $2,500. I AM ON A PC! I would really love to go with Focusrite RedNet, but unfortunately it would be out of my budget since I would have to go with 2 separate units to match what my current Saffire 56 has (Why, oh why Focusrite did you have to do it that way???). So, with RedNet off the table, UA's Apollo comes immediately to mind- Would it be a great step-up for me?

Any opinions welcome.
Old 19th October 2014
Gear Addict

RME UFX is worth a look. More connectivity options than the Apollo. Solid drivers, low latency.
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

UFX is not TB unfortunately.... although I'm not absolutely opposed to USB. I think I'm done with FW, though.
Old 19th October 2014
Here for the gear
How about the new Apogee Ensemble? Right at 2500. We have the Quartet and it is awesome. My guess is the the Ensemble is even better.

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Audio Interface | Sweetwater.com

Neil McTavish
Briagha McTavish
Old 19th October 2014
Lives for gear

I agree, the new Ensemble would be perfect for you.
Old 19th October 2014
I think the new Ensemble is the best device you could get for that kind of money. 8 preamps plus 2 Jfet DI's and 2 inserts on your preamps plus 2-ADAT i/o and thunderbolt with only 1.1 ms RTL (official Apogee numbers, haven't tested it so I can't find out). Think is sick!

Only other option that has the same quality convertion would be the RME Fireface 802, I've heard the thing and it sounds amazingly clear, since they put the same converters in it like that have in their Micstasy, the Apollo, though I'm not impressed with Apollo's sound, it's good don't get me wrong and I loved working with it, but it didn't blow me away, since latency performance wasn't as good as I prefered.

The new Motu AVB line would also be cool, the 8M would get you 8 preamps as well, but I'm not sure they are going to sound as good as the other three interfaces. Metric Halo would also be a good option, but honestly the new Apogee interface would be the one I'd get if I was in the market for a new one since I could record a band in my DAW doing all my monitoring without having to switch to some mixer.

These are just my opinions and I know some guys swear by their Apollo, so honestly whatever you get is going to be awesome!
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktiki411 View Post
How about the new Apogee Ensemble? Right at 2500. We have the Quartet and it is awesome. My guess is the the Ensemble is even better.

Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt Audio Interface | Sweetwater.com

Neil McTavish
Briagha McTavish
Nice.....but I guess I should have mentioned that I am not a MAC guy. I am actually bewildered why so many companies make great products for either only MAC, or only PC. I guess they like selling to limited markets.

PC PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Old 20th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
Nice.....but I guess I should have mentioned that I am not a MAC guy. I am actually bewildered why so many companies make great products for either only MAC, or only PC. I guess they like selling to limited markets.

PC PLEASE!!!!!!!!
Then forget about thunderbolt.
The only option I can think of if you want great sound and better performance would be the RME Fireface 802, preamps sound great.

That is if you are wanting to have preamps. If you only need I/O than there are a lot more options!
Old 20th October 2014
RME UFX's USB is as good as Firewire.
For PC and $2500 budget, you won't be disappointed with UFX.
Btw, how many I/O do you need?
Old 20th October 2014
Gear Addict

He said he wanted as much I/O as his Saffire 56. The UFX would give him more.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

I know that this is way out there, but...

What about a used Antelope Orion? You will be able to come right at that 2500 or maybe just a very little bit more.

I have seen them up here in the classifieds for 2500-2800 used and even seen one or two go for 2450.

I absolutely LOVE mine, and I had an LS56 for a while, and the Orion is in a whole other league, I can honestly say it will take your mixes to the next level from the LS56.

The other thing I would totally think about if I were in your situation is the UA Apollo.

Jim
Old 20th October 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
Then forget about thunderbolt.
The only option I can think of if you want great sound and better performance would be the RME Fireface 802, preamps sound great.
Why forget about Thunderbolt when he has a nice new X99 machine which can run it?

Nothing from the existing RME lineup can compete with the new Motu AVB series at anything other than driver performance. The conversion is in another league and comparable to Symphony, better connectivity (USB/TB/AVB networking), DSP FX for those who want it, and you can get 16 channels of conversion for $1500 (or less channels with added preamps). It's the first time Motu has ever released converters which are comparable to Apogee's flagship model. Word is they won't have their Windows drivers released til end of the year though.

A lot happening with interfaces recently. Good time to retire old recycled forum hearsay in favor of doing some homework on the new offerings.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
I know that this is way out there, but...

What about a used Antelope Orion? You will be able to come right at that 2500 or maybe just a very little bit more.

I have seen them up here in the classifieds for 2500-2800 used and even seen one or two go for 2450.

I absolutely LOVE mine, and I had an LS56 for a while, and the Orion is in a whole other league, I can honestly say it will take your mixes to the next level from the LS56.

The other thing I would totally think about if I were in your situation is the UA Apollo.

Jim
Thanks for letting me know about the Orion. I will definitely put it on my short list.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Why forget about Thunderbolt when he has a nice new X99 machine which can run it?

Nothing from the existing RME lineup can compete with the new Motu AVB series at anything other than driver performance. The conversion is in another league and comparable to Symphony, better connectivity (USB/TB/AVB networking), DSP FX for those who want it, and you can get 16 channels of conversion for $1500 (or less channels with added preamps). It's the first time Motu has ever released converters which are comparable to Apogee's flagship model. Word is they won't have their Windows drivers released til end of the year though.

A lot happening with interfaces recently. Good time to retire old recycled forum hearsay in favor of doing some homework on the new offerings.
Thanks. I will also consider the MOTU if or when they get Windows drivers.
Old 20th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
UFX is not TB unfortunately.... although I'm not absolutely opposed to USB. I think I'm done with FW, though.
RME's USB drivers are very low latency and rock solid on PC. My brother runs an older UC on his PC and driver performance is a dream.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search