The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can My Cheap Audio Interface Hurt My Expensive ADC Unit Signal As Spdif->USB only? Audio Interfaces
Old 9th October 2014
Gear Addict

Can My Cheap Audio Interface Hurt My Expensive ADC Unit Signal As Spdif->USB only?

I just reacquired my Burl B2 Bomber ADC from it's usual studio setting for some home use. And I forgot about the fact it requires an additional piece of gear to connect it to any of my computers as it doesn't have a usb/firewire output but rather just Spdif. So the last time I was using the unit at home I hooked the Burl's spdif out into a spare, inexpensive, $400 Mbox2 I had and then connected the Mbox2's USB output into my computers.

I still have that Mbox2. But I was wondering, can the cheaper quality of the Mbox2 affect my Burl unit's output signal if all it's doing is passing an already converted to digital signal to my computers? I mean in regards to firmware, software, drivers, and software setup, can using the Mbox2 affect my signal in a negative way? Or no, it should reach my computer DAW as exactly the way it left my Burl unit?

I ask because I need a way to get the Burl output to a Macbook Pro laptop and all i have is that Mbox2 to use right now. And I'm wondering if I should get something else for the task?

And if I SHOULD get something else, or if I just want to get something else that's not as bulky as needing to hook up an additional big audio interface just to convert a spdif connection to USB, any suggestions of something to get to work with a Mac laptop? I used to use my Mac Pro desktop which obviously had card slots for adding an audio card. But now just using my laptop, my Mac laptop doesn't allow for installation of any sound cards. So if I were to get something other than the Mbox2, I'm just looking for a small piece of gear to convert that spdif connection to usb, thunderbolt, whatever.

Thanks! Any info and advice is appreciated!
Old 9th October 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

So long your Mbox2 isn't faulty, there won't be any signal degradation. Typically, digital connections either work, or they don't.

If there was a problem, you would not be in doubt, since you would clearly hear pops and clicks. This happens when the clocks of both devices are not perfectly in sync, for example.
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Thanks so much for the reply Tui!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search