The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee: the new Ensemble Thunderbolt
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Strange. The Orph & Aurora are nothing alike. Aurora is so bland and less detailed. The Alphalink is dirtier than all of the above though. We have very different taste in converters. Did you take to Hilo at all? Lavry Black/Blue?
Haven't heard Hilo, and a while since I heard a Lavry Black, which is sweet but I need some channels in and out. Aurora has something in its sound that lends it a quality I like. Turns out Daft Punk and Mick Guzauski chose to make that last bland sounding record using them, too. Sounds terribly undetailed. And Orph also has something I like that sounds untoylike. The Motu is a bit toylike in sound.

I agree Alphalink is dirtier than all of them, hence I am on the move, but it still has a few attributes I prefer over the Motu. It moves air, for one. I am into emotions, not frequency puzzles.
Old 22nd October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post

I agree Alphalink is dirtier than all of them, hence I am on the move, but it still has a few attributes I prefer over the Motu. It moves air, for one. I am into emotions, not frequency puzzles.
Exactly, Those MOTU boxes spec well and for that price look like a great deal but MOTU have never been considered the "pro converter" guys. I have my doubts that they were able to pull off a box that competes with the symphony for less than half the price and specs alone shouldn't convince anyone.
Old 22nd October 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Instinct View Post
Exactly, Those MOTU boxes spec well and for that price look like a great deal but MOTU have never been considered the "pro converter" guys. I have my doubts that they were able to pull off a box that competes with the symphony for less than half the price and specs alone shouldn't convince anyone.
If you hear these kind of claims it's better to at least go check out their website to actually have some idea of the product, rather than assume one way or another based on past lower priced offerings alone. That's equally true the other way around. If you did you'd see they're a higher build quality than anything they've ever done. Nobody here is talking about specs alone, as these boxes have been out since the summer. You can pass audio through its converters with less distortion than any unit below the Symphony and it's very comparable, for reasons I already mentioned regarding the similarities between them.

<edit:>

Has anyone here noticed this? Despite my feelings on the inherent flaws and the way it's implemented, the remaining null testing thread has the Symphony & 16A measuring nearly identical. Results this close are usually only seen when comparing two of the same unit:

Apogee Symphony I/O (Ajantis)
Corr Depth: 43.4 dB (L), 45.6 dB (R) Difference*: -51.2 dBFS (L), -50.1 dBFS dB (R)

MOTU 16A (davidbayles)
Corr Depth: 43.4 dB (L), 45.6 dB (R) Difference*: -51.1 dBFS (L), -50.1 dBFS (R)

I can't help but wonder if Motu engineers cracked open a Symphony and did some studying. I don't know of any other logical explanation as to how this would happen between two competing companies.
Old 22nd October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
If you hear these kind of claims it's better to at least go check out their website to actually have some idea of the product, rather than assume one way or another based on past lower priced offerings alone. That's equally true the other way around. If you did you'd see they're a higher build quality than anything they've ever done. Nobody here is talking about specs alone, as these boxes have been out since the summer. You can pass audio through its converters with less distortion than any unit below the Symphony and it's very comparable, for reasons I already mentioned regarding the similarities between them.

<edit:>

Has anyone here noticed this? Despite my feelings on the inherent flaws and the way it's implemented, the remaining null testing thread has the Symphony & 16A measuring nearly identical. Results this close are usually only seen when comparing two of the same unit:......
Ive been to the website, I've read the details. Like I said it specs well. I know these are their new flagship level boxes. Have you used them to make music yet?
Old 23rd October 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat Instinct View Post
Ive been to the website, I've read the details. Like I said it specs well. I know these are their new flagship level boxes. Have you used them to make music yet?
Beyond specs, as mentioned in that other thread someone ran audio through each unit and the files nulled against each other to something like -77dB!

I don't have one. Just coordinated some test files.
Old 31st October 2014
Here for the gear

There absolutely is a sonic difference in converters.

Has anyone taken receipt of and heard a new Ensemble 2 yet?
Old 2nd November 2014
Jr.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
2 1/4" balanced monitor outputs
8 balanced outputs on 1 DSUB 25-pin connector
2 independent 1/4" stereo headphone outputs
2 1/4" dual-mode guitar/instrument outputs

edit: I'm still only adding up to 14...
2 1/4" balanced outs= 2 channels
8 balanced DSUB = 8 channels