The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Apogee Symphony - Windows 7 alternative? Audio Interfaces
Old 4th October 2014
Here for the gear

Apogee Symphony - Windows 7 alternative?

I've had my sights set on purchasing a full-blown Apogee Symphony setup as a major upgrade from my Saffire Pro 40, but I just discovered that the Symphony doesn't support Windows

I absolutely love the inputs on my Pro 40, but my entire recording setup needs a massive upgrade since I now do full-time music production & recording. I've already moved to a new sound-isolated studio with serious acoustic treatment, along with a shiny new set of Quested v2108 monitors. I need enough inputs to record drums, which is why I bought the Saffire years ago.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pro-level interface setup that works for Windows (Cubase), comparable in quality to the Apogee Symphony converters/preamps? If Focusrite made a world-class version of the Pro 40 with the same layout, I'd buy it in a heartbeat
Old 4th October 2014
Lives for gear
Metric Halo's newest USB interfaces are finally Windows compatible.
Old 4th October 2014
Here for the gear

I am going to go with Metric Halo myself, but if you want Symphony on Windows, just get an RME HDSPe AES and the Symphony with the 8 I/O modules that have AES/EBU I/O and use it as a converter with the RME as Interface... I was thinking about that too, but then Metric Halo wins on price with their recent drops and probably on sound too (for my taste at least.. It's more neutral)
Old 4th October 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Metric Halo's newest USB interfaces are finally Windows compatible.
Not yet, announced, but not available.
Old 5th October 2014
Here for the gear

The Metric Halo ULN-8 looks amazing, especially at the current sale price. It seems to have everything I need in a single unit, just like my old Pro 40, except miles and miles better.

I have to admit that I feel strange putting my faith in a company's first version of a driver, not to mention buying a piece of gear I can't use yet. I'd love to have a setup that I could use the day it hits my doorstep, but the value of the ULN-8 looks incomparable. Should I go for it, take advantage of the sale, then pray for stable Windows drivers?

Other options exist, and if anyone has personal experience with other pro setups like this one I'd love to hear about it.
Old 5th October 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothMc View Post
The Metric Halo ULN-8 looks amazing, especially at the current sale price. It seems to have everything I need in a single unit, just like my old Pro 40, except miles and miles better.

I have to admit that I feel strange putting my faith in a company's first version of a driver, not to mention buying a piece of gear I can't use yet. I'd love to have a setup that I could use the day it hits my doorstep, but the value of the ULN-8 looks incomparable. Should I go for it, take advantage of the sale, then pray for stable Windows drivers?

Other options exist, and if anyone has personal experience with other pro setups like this one I'd love to hear about it.
I'm not sure but I don't think that particular model will be Windows compatible if it's the older firewire version. In the announcement they stated that only upcoming new USB versions will be windows compatible and not older FireWire versions.
Old 18th December 2014
Here for the gear

I know this is a bit old but I'm wondering the same thing. Anymore alternatives?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search