The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Updated ilok licence manager and wiped my PTHD 10 and 11 licences DAW Software
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Updated ilok licence manager and wiped my PTHD 10 and 11 licences

Help !!

I purchased an ilok with pro tools 10 / 11 HD licences and just updated the ilok licence managed.
It synced and now the ilok is empty.

What can I do I'm freeking :(
Old 2nd October 2014
well isn't that just special

honestly...why can't they figure this **** out? you have threads with guys scared to death of updating, you have threads like this with thousands of dollars in software sitting idle...and this isn't even the first, second or third time...what a joke, man...

if this were me, I'd be on the phone the second they opened the lines, getting ready to yell my brains out if they didn't have an immediate fix

how can you expect professionals to use a dongle that's going to wipe their licenses randomly when they update...it's like russian roulette
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

seems like there ought to be a word from the silent majority here.
My iLok stuff works fine - I just migrated my Duende Native stuff over due to erratic behaviour with the earlier CmStick dongle.
I am perfectly happy with the current iLok software, but of course there will always be people who get caught out somehow.
For instance I have had perennial problems with IKMM. especially since they went to the Custom Shop system. Not entirely their fault, no software house can account for every single variation of hard and software on a clients computer.
It is how they react to problems that counts.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwilson View Post
Help !!

I purchased an ilok with pro tools 10 / 11 HD licences and just updated the ilok licence managed.
It synced and now the ilok is empty.

What can I do I'm freeking :(
I'm sure that the Gearslutz community figure out how to help you Can you give us a bit more info?
  • Did you buy an iLok2 from the seller with the PT 10/11HD licenses already on it?
  • Was it a private seller or a store?
  • Did the seller transfer the iLok licenses to your iLok account?
Old 2nd October 2014
The update worked great here, W7x64.
Have you checked the various views at the top of the license manager?
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Did you make an account and click on the ilok icon that represents your ilok stick in the manager?
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel c View Post
I'm sure that the Gearslutz community figure out how to help you Can you give us a bit more info?
  • Did you buy an iLok2 from the seller with the PT 10/11HD licenses already on it?
  • Was it a private seller or a store?
  • Did the seller transfer the iLok licenses to your iLok account?
Private seller.

It was conected when I installed the new software. After it installed and synced there were 0 licenses on the ilok, previously 4 PTHD 10/11 and PT 10/11
Old 2nd October 2014
Have you seen the licenses previously that they were actually on the iLok?
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

yes they were visible previously.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

This is insane...

I have bookings and bands that have booked accommodation. No work no money no food ar....
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Not ideal but can you try downloading the demo onto the iLoks you just lost the licenses on?

I think that'll give you 30 days to get it sorted at least?

R.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

No demo period at end already
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I'd contact avid and beg them for another demo license.

Failing that, if you have a spare ilok, create a new ilok and avid account and get another demo that way.

Wish you the best of luck,

Al
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

I suspected that there may be some malware attached to this update. Basically it sounds like PACE is doing it's last rounds of clean ups for people who have unauthorized or duplicate licenses. Unfortunately Avid does not allow transfer of licenses to 3rd parties in their licensing agreement. I would imagine that Pace will fight you on this but you will have to contact them directly.

Probably your best bet is to contact the seller and ask him to deal will pace on your behalf. hopefully he is the original owner of those licenses. the original owner can contact pace and demand that the license be replace and or get avid to do it. If you go the avid route you may have to buy a support code from them which cost around $80usd.

Very sorry for your loss. And I wish you the best of luck.

Please keep us posted.

ej
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quite possible but there is no unauthorized or duplicate license.

I purchased the ilok with the license there was no transfer and should be no different than if I used my own ilok in another facility, that is one of the selling points of the ilok.

There is no legal right to delete a license despite any terms or conditions. Anyone in society is allowed to share or sell goods they have purchased regardless of whether a company like it or not. Most terms and conditions are not legal anyway.

If this is true then PACE are just cowboys with no more moral standing than the hackers they are supposedly protecting against.
Old 2nd October 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

We also need to remember that those duplicate licenses were created by Pace themselves. They never took any responsibility for their error but made their unsuspecting customers suffer for it.

Pace have shown to be "cowboys" a long time ago.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I purchased the ilok with the license there was no transfer and should be no different than if I used my own ilok in another facility, that is one of the selling points of the ilok.
Were you given the ilok account ID and password along with the iloks themselves when you made the purchase ?
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Its not a duplicate (which happened a while back to others) , its a legal license not registered to me but should be no difference. Its owned and paid for (not stolen) .
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Quite possible but there is no unauthorized or duplicate license.

There is no legal right to delete a license despite any terms or conditions. Anyone in society is allowed to share or sell goods they have purchased regardless of whether a company like it or not. Most terms and conditions are not legal anyway.

If this is true then PACE are just cowboys with no more moral standing than the hackers they are supposedly protecting against.

First of all let me state that i agree with you and that i know those licenses were more than likely 100% legit; however, this is still a slippery slope for you. Even though you bought the physical ilok containing the pthd licenses, that may still be viewed as an attempt to circumvent the license agreement plus doing so is done at your own risk...with no support.

I think the whole situation stinks where you own a license but not really and I strongly believe that we should have the right to sell licenses that we have paid for if we so choose. Unfortunately, everybody is trying to save money and squeeze as much profit out of situations as possible including us and them.

Pace's number one priority is to appease their developer clients; hence, the developers all got financial kick backs for the ilok apocalypse last year. Most ilok end users got crickets. Pace cracking down on unauthorized license transfers and removing the 7 day sync grace period is all part of this.

ej
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

FYI

I just saw this on the new features list which is what i believe happened to you:

"Corrected duplicates in License view of an iLok that belongs to a different account than the one signed in."

who knows what this actually means.

ej
Old 2nd October 2014
Gear Addict
If the original purchaser had bought the licence legally, then I don't see how the software can 'see' anything illegitimate about it. It should work attached to any computer. I also don't see how ilok have the right to remove a licence without checking its status with the user first. Maybe you need to be signed in as the original user?
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
FYI

I just saw this on the new features list which is what i believe happened to you:

"Corrected duplicates in License view of an iLok that belongs to a different account than the one signed in."

who knows what this actually means.

ej
So if another engineer comes into my studio connects his ilok to my computer then I sign onto my account for some reason - then the ILM deletes his licenses?
There's a handy feature I don't like. Last year ilok deleted a license that came with a license bundle with my Venue console. Avid replaced it a few days later it was still a bogus deal on Pace's part.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
So if another engineer comes into my studio connects his ilok to my computer then I sign onto my account for some reason - then the ILM deletes his licenses?
There's a handy feature I don't like. Last year ilok deleted a license that came with a license bundle with my Venue console. Avid replaced it a few days later it was still a bogus deal on Pace's part.
That is very valid point and scenario...kinda defeats the portability nature of the ilok system as a whole.

ej
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
No demo period at end already
That sucks... But aren't Pro Tools demos now attached to the iLok? I didn't think the demo software was actually timebombed or is it?

Just thinking if the iLok has no licenses on it how can it know that the demo is at it's end? Strange.

Regardless that's a tough break.

R.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

The demo is on another ilok. Yes it is a 30day demo.

Also unable to transfer licences which was the reason to upgrade also. I see many are also having this issue.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Yes i think this may be what has happened.

This WAS a major selling point of the ilok . They have absolutely no right to deleate another persons licence just because it is being used on someone elses computer.

The licence is also now not valid on the owners end as well.
Old 2nd October 2014
Gear Addict
It's like having the Stasi in your studio.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I suspected that there may be some malware attached to this update. Basically it sounds like PACE is doing it's last rounds of clean ups for people who have unauthorized or duplicate licenses. Unfortunately Avid does not allow transfer of licenses to 3rd parties in their licensing agreement. I would imagine that Pace will fight you on this but you will have to contact them directly.

Probably your best bet is to contact the seller and ask him to deal will pace on your behalf. hopefully he is the original owner of those licenses. the original owner can contact pace and demand that the license be replace and or get avid to do it. If you go the avid route you may have to buy a support code from them which cost around $80usd.

Very sorry for your loss. And I wish you the best of luck.

Please keep us posted.

ej
It's a bit hasty to jump to conclusions like this and blame Pace for "Malware" when you have no idea what actually happened. I feel bad for the guy, but it would be good to have the facts before blaming Pace.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Ye i hope so.

Technically nothing untoward has been done. It is not a duplicate licence and there was no transfer. I simply and another persons ilok attached to my machine when the new licence manager was installed.

I have contacted the seller and verified he has the license but it is showing on his end that it is no longer valid and acnnot transfer to the ilok when it is registered to his account.

This does sound like a bug but knowing PACE history its just as likley the have willingly deleted it.

Has anyone had any experience successfully negotiating the return of a license with Ilok ?
Old 2nd October 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Probably your best bet is to talk directly to Avid. During the last disaster, I followed several threads at DUC, and I got the impression that Pace doesn't give a rat's ass about endusers, however Avid appeared keen to resolve the issues.

Speaking of which:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=359151&page=3
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search