The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Samsung 840 (basic) and EVO firmware issue
Old 25th September 2014
  #1
Samsung 840 (basic) and EVO firmware issue -FIX OUT NOW

***Update: there is a fix out by Samsung for the *EVO only*. See post #22 below.***

Just a heads up, as especially the EVO's are popular and at some point many of you will get this issue, especially with sample drives:

AnandTech | Samsung Acknowledges the SSD 840 EVO Read Performance Bug - Fix Is on the Way


In case anyone has this issue, i.e. read performance drops to something between 2 and 20 MB/s, it is recommended to make a backup of all data on the drive and perform a secure erase. Definitely patch the new firmware when it gets released.

For OS drives, you'd have to use an image backup application, best before the issue occurs, otherwise it will take hours to do so.
Old 25th September 2014
  #2
Thanks for the heads up. I have two Evo, both for OS. I have to mirror or reinstall but no big deal.
Old 25th September 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Just a heads up, as especially the EVO's are popular and at some point many of you will get this issue, especially with sample drives:

AnandTech | Samsung Acknowledges the SSD 840 EVO Read Performance Bug - Fix Is on the Way


In case anyone has this issue, i.e. read performance drops to something between 2 and 20 MB/s, it is recommended to make a backup of all data on the drive and perform a secure erase. Definitely patch the new firmware when it gets released.

For OS drives, you'd have to use an image backup application, best before the issue occurs, otherwise it will take hours to do so.
thanks for the heads up! will go over to read the article....

.. just read it, wonder how soon the firmware will be released...?
Old 26th September 2014
  #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
.. just read it, wonder how soon the firmware will be released...?
No final word on it, but it seems top priority.

BTW: in our case the issue popped up much later, sample libraries sitting there over 5 months until the issue occurred.
Old 26th September 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
What about the 840 Pro?

Is it all 840 series SSD's?
Old 26th September 2014
  #6
The Pro is not affected, totally different beast...
Old 26th September 2014
  #7
Lives for gear
Thanks Leon,

That's good news as my OS drive is a 840 Pro.

I haven't loaded up my samples on my EVO 1TB yet,
I was going to do it next week.

Do you think this firmware update will be able to new installed
retrospectively on an already in use drive, or should I hold off installing
Komplete 9 Ultimate etc until I've updated the firmware.

Thanks
Old 26th September 2014
  #8
The data needs to be at least 1 month old, so I hope a bit that the firmware arrives before you get into an issue.
I had to backup the data first, which took ages, so if you have a spare backup drive lying around, it might be good to backup straight away.
Old 26th September 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
Thanks for your advice.
Old 26th September 2014
  #10
Lives for gear
 
lestermagneto's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
The data needs to be at least 1 month old, so I hope a bit that the firmware arrives before you get into an issue.
I had to backup the data first, which took ages, so if you have a spare backup drive lying around, it might be good to backup straight away.
Thanks again DAW PLUS for being on top of this, I will be following this thread closely!
Old 26th September 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 
kosi's Avatar
Is there a tool for Macs, to check the performance of the drive myself ?
Old 26th September 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
Is there a tool for Macs, to check the performance of the drive myself ?
There is this app for general testing:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blac...25264550?mt=12

However, I don't know how you'd test the read speed of existing data which is what the problem is here. The app writes new temporary data and reads it rather than reading old files.

I can't say I've noticed the problem on my 3 840 EVOs but since I do mastering I typically don't sit on projects for more than a month. And even if I do, I'm not doing large track counts.

I didn't even realize that SSDs had firmware but I'll be sure to update when it's available.

I will of course make sure all backups are up to date, but can anybody confirm that in theory the firmware update will not cause any data loss?
Old 26th September 2014
  #13
I haven't dealt seriously with macs in a long time, but any 3rd party read speed app should do the trick.
Write test apps which erase your drive will not test this as it is a read issue.

Firmware *may* cause data to be lost. I never had this issue but it is wise to backup. You should have current backups of your drives anyway...
Old 26th September 2014
  #14
I have two of them and tested the older one (about one yr old) with HD Tune pro 5.5
Indeed read performance is ~5MB/s in some sectors.
ETA has been released: Oct 15. Check the Anandtech site again.
Old 27th September 2014
  #15
Tested another one (bought in Aug, 2m old). No problem, ~350MB/s throughout the drive.
Old 27th September 2014
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
cube66's Avatar
 

Can we be sure about it is a software problem? I am not trusting Samsung because of their silence until now and how bad and rude their support is.

I think it is hardware problem, and Samsung is going to try to fool us that they have fixed it with software.

Only time will tell what it is.

If you have to buy SSD right now, go for the Pro version or another brand.
Old 27th September 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 
kosi's Avatar
Oh boy, this is some wild speculation here. Do you have facts to prove this statement ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by cube66 View Post
Can we be sure about it is a software problem? I am not trusting Samsung because of their silence until now and how bad and rude their support is.

I think it is hardware problem, and Samsung is going to try to fool us that they have fixed it with software.

Only time will tell what it is.

If you have to buy SSD right now, go for the Pro version or another brand.
Old 27th September 2014
  #18
Could be hardware problems but we can only speculate.
In the meantime Samsung 840 pro and Crucial M4 read very consistent. Crucial M500, M550 not so much.
Old 27th September 2014
  #19
Gear Maniac
 
cube66's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosi View Post
Oh boy, this is some wild speculation here. Do you have facts to prove this statement ?
Can you read?
Old 9th October 2014
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Does anybody have any news on this?

I have three of these 840 EVO SSD in various storage sizes. I'm almost due to expand to a 4th and would like to keep my drives all the same for aesthetics and other reasons, but I may have to try a new brand (or the new 850) if the 840 EVOs have this problem.
Old 9th October 2014
  #21
Samsung is going to release firmware update on 15th. We don't know if that really fixes the problem.
Old 15th October 2014
  #22
Samsung released a fix:
-firmware update
-performance restoration software

Samsung SSD (Solid State Drive) 850 and 840 series | Samsung SSD Website
Scroll down to "Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software"

Mac/Linux OS patch will come the end of October.

Large SSDs packed with data (i.e. 500GB/1TB) will require up to 8 hours to be calibrated.
Old 15th October 2014
  #23
Thanks. I'll try the fix for my 128GB EVO after making a backup clone.
Old 15th October 2014
  #24
Gear Addict
 
throbert's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS View Post
Samsung released a fix:
-firmware update
-performance restoration software

Samsung SSD (Solid State Drive) 850 and 840 series | Samsung SSD Website
Scroll down to "Samsung SSD 840 EVO Performance Restoration Software"

Mac/Linux OS patch will come the end of October.

Large SSDs packed with data (i.e. 500GB/1TB) will require up to 8 hours to be calibrated.
Looks like a migration app not a firmware update.
Oh there it is, never mind.
thanks
Old 23rd October 2014
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Arksun's Avatar
Hows everyone been getting on with their 840 evo since the new firmware and performance restoration fix?
Haven't really noticed much difference on mine, but then I wasn't really noticing any slowdown before.
Old 23rd October 2014
  #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Hows everyone been getting on with their 840 evo since the new firmware and performance restoration fix?
Haven't really noticed much difference on mine, but then I wasn't really noticing any slowdown before.
My 15mo old Evo drive improved read performance after the firmware fix. But to identify the read performance problem, you need to use the right tool that reads already written data and measures the speed, not reading temporary written by the benchmark tool.

In my case, some of the files were 50-70MB/s, and now after the fix, all the files are more than 300MB/s.
Old 23rd October 2014
  #27
If you didn't have problems before, you will not notice a difference. The patch fixes current issues and should make sure it can't occur in the future.
Old 1st November 2014
  #28
Lives for gear
 
sardi's Avatar
 

Mac restoration tool is out.

Samsung SSD Downloads | Samsung SSD US

My studio is in pieces atm so can't test it out, but if anyone does, please report your findings.
Old 1st November 2014
  #29
Lives for gear
 
kosi's Avatar
It says:
Dos version for MAC, Linux users ???

from the manual:
Software Requirements
A DOS bootable disk is required with the Samsung Performance Restoration DOS software and necessary firmware. A DOS bootable disk can be a USB, CD or DVD storage device.

5) If the SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO PERFORMANCE RESTORATION DOS Software is not launched, please follow below steps to change the BIOS settings & try again:
a) Turn "ON" PC -> Enter to BIOS set-up
b) In BIOS Set-up -> Select "System Configuration" - > Select "Boot Options" ->
Enable "Legacy USB Support"
??4 2014.10 (Rev 1.0)
c) Set "Boot Order" for the device being used for SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO PERFORMANCE RESTORATION DOS Software (USB Device / USB Diskette / Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive)
d) Save settings & proceed with SAMSUNG SSD 840 EVO PERFORMANCE RESTORATION DOS Software

Sonds extremely PC to me….
Anybody know better ?
Old 23rd November 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Justin P.'s Avatar
 

Has anybody gotten this to work with OSX?

I have been trying for a bit and it seems like a PITA.

Normally I'd do the boot from USB option but that seems even more involved so I have burned the ISO image to a CD but I can't get my Mac to want to boot from it.

Any advice?
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump