The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UAD-2 Verbs Love or Hate? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 23rd September 2014
Gear Addict

UAD-2 Verbs Love or Hate?

For those of you on the UAD-2 platform, and specifically those of you that tend to find the verb offerings by uaudio dull or not close enough to the real thing... are you mixing in the box exclusively? I dig the EMT 140 and 250, but have not spent much time with the Lex just yet, and now we have the new AMS Neve RM16...

I've read tons of threads where users feel these plugins don't mix as well as the real hardware units. So I started thinking... maybe it's because there are no ad/da stages to the plugin and that is where a small percentage of mojo is missing?

So for those of you that feel these don't quite hold a flame to the hardware, do you totally mix ITB or do you do something else? I'm mixing on a console myself FYI and enjoy it. Maybe these plugs just need to be lined up with the right converters? Just a thought.
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear

I've had better luck with some plugin emulation verbs including the UAD ones by running them through a cheaper digital verb like an SPX90 (100% dry) to dull the top a bit. Seems to sound a bit more like the originals. The Lexicon, to me doesn't compare well to the real thing which I've spent a lot of time with over the years. The plate as well, though the UAD 140 is very useful, is much different when side by side. I'll usually print the plate at the studio so I have the option at mix and sometimes the UAD is preferabe. I think UAD shines more on hardware comps and saturation plugs which I find indispensable.
Old 23rd September 2014
Lives for gear
According to the manual/videos, the 140 emulates the amplifier and EQ circuits (it's not digital so no A/D/A) and both the Lexicon 224 and EMT 250 do model the full analog and digital paths (including conversion). Not sure about the RMX16 because it's not in the latest UAD manual - only in it's own manual linked to the plugin.
Old 24th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highphi View Post
For those of you on the UAD-2 platform, and specifically those of you that tend to find the verb offerings by uaudio dull or not close enough to the real thing... are you mixing in the box exclusively? I dig the EMT 140 and 250, but have not spent much time with the Lex just yet, and now we have the new AMS Neve RM16...

I've read tons of threads where users feel these plugins don't mix as well as the real hardware units. So I started thinking... maybe it's because there are no ad/da stages to the plugin and that is where a small percentage of mojo is missing?

So for those of you that feel these don't quite hold a flame to the hardware, do you totally mix ITB or do you do something else? I'm mixing on a console myself FYI and enjoy it. Maybe these plugs just need to be lined up with the right converters? Just a thought.
Well, you'll find about as many opinions on this as there are GS members... but I'm one of the people who believe that the EMT140 is completely indispensable and gets the 140 plate sound dead on. (and yes, I have hardware experience). I don't have any opinion on the 250; but the 224 really does sound like the 224 that I used to use in the 1990's. It does not, however, sound much like the 224xl, which some people are confused about.

Lining things up with the right converters may be the magic bullet; I use Apogee and have never had a single issue. The EMT140 is my go-to reverb on everything. It is amazing.
Old 24th September 2014
Lives for gear
140 and Ocean way Studios are must haves for me. Considering picking up the new AMS RMX16 as well. I really hope they do an eventide sp2016. Also would look forward to a quantec QRS, and a 224xl.
Old 24th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_fuzz View Post
I'm one of the people who believe that the EMT140 is completely indispensable
I'm the same way with that one. I try to find unique new (for me) reverb sounds to use on stuff every so often, and find myself reluctantly heading back to that. It just seems to melt into the track, where a lot of other stuff sounds patched in. It's pretty impressive when you consider how long it's been part of their arsenal. I've often wondered which other "virtual" processors of today will end up being as useful and respected ten years down the road.

George

PS- Own the 250 and Lex as well, and have been trying to make myself get a bit more familiar with them for a long time. Not sure on the 250, but I think the Lexicon has some stuff for me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search