The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thunderbolt dock/hub performance for studio
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_deli View Post
Anyone else using the OWC TB2 dock?

First it kept losing the connection because of the supplied TB cabe.
It worked OK with an Apple TB cable.
But with some problems holding a connection when restarting or powering up my rMBP.
.............(
Hi Mc_Deli, maybe it was you who I was speaking to a few months ago before I bought mine.
Tbh, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with mine....either with the apple cable that I bought after our convo or the owc cable it came with..... it does get a bit warm, but I have never had any disconnection.... and I leave it on 24/7 unless it is in my backpack when I am traveling :-)

Did you ever try another unit?
rsp
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Hi Mc_Deli, maybe it was you who I was speaking to a few months ago before I bought mine.
Tbh, I haven't had any issues whatsoever with mine....either with the apple cable that I bought after our convo or the owc cable it came with..... it does get a bit warm, but I have never had any disconnection.... and I leave it on 24/7 unless it is in my backpack when I am traveling :-)

Did you ever try another unit?
rsp
...I will try some different TB cables first...
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

I couldn't find my answer yet so I'd like to ask. Will a Thunderbolt dock with 3 usb drives connected to it perform better than a USB 3.0 hub with 3 USB 3 drives connected to it or is there a bottleneck that makes them perform the same?

In addition would a Thunderbolt enclosure out perform the above mentioned for the drives that are Sata III?

Thanks
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

In 2013 Gizmodo did a head-to-head comparison between Thunderbolt (the original) and USB 3.0 and found that for speed alone Thunderbolt won:

Quote:
The ATTO benchmark clocked the Promise Pegasus R4 reading files in the 936MB/s range. We could literally copy 16.9GB of files to the R4 configured with SSDs in 23 seconds. Our gut says there's likely a lot more headroom left in Thunderbolt, too. USB 3.0 didn't impress us as much. The Startech cabinet was allergic to our OCZ SSDs. Performance wasn't stellar, but it wasn't horrible either. USB 3.0's speed is actually very respectable, but Thunderbolt clearly has the edge in pure performance.
Two years later TechRadar looked at Thunderbolt 2 and had a more nuanced opinion:

Quote:
USB 3.0 runs at up to 5Gbps and the incoming USB 3.1 should do 10Gbps. Thunderbolt can do 20Gbps.

As we've already explained above Thunderbolt 2 isn't actually faster than the original 10Gbps Thunderbolt standard, but if you wanted to get 20Gbps out of that you needed to combine two 10Gbps channels. You don't need to do that with Thunderbolt 2.

As with all maximum throughput figures, quoted speeds are theoretical maximums and don't take data overheads into account. The performance you actually get in the real world will also depend on your devices and their configurations.
And don't forget that Thunderbolt 3 is probably coming out in new machines starting this fall at 40Gbps - double the speed of USB 3.1.
Old 8th July 2016
Gear Nut

Hopefully this question isn't too ignorant. I've looked for this info but can't seem to find answers. If I got a thunderbolt hub connected to my 2015 macbook pro, plugged my ssd portable hd into the usb 3.0 port of the hub. Would this be as fast as plugging directly into the usb port on the side of the macbook pro? What about if I plugged my babyface into it? I'm sorry but I'm not sure of the actual logistics of these hubs and weather they are as quick as a direct connection.
Old 8th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
Hopefully this question isn't too ignorant. I've looked for this info but can't seem to find answers. If I got a thunderbolt hub connected to my 2015 macbook pro, plugged my ssd portable hd into the usb 3.0 port of the hub. Would this be as fast as plugging directly into the usb port on the side of the macbook pro? What about if I plugged my babyface into it? I'm sorry but I'm not sure of the actual logistics of these hubs and weather they are as quick as a direct connection.
I spoke with Apple, just today about the exact same thing and they told me a direct connection is always better. However, it could've been a canned answer, yet logical. Theoretically there shouldn't be much of a difference since the thunderbolt has way more bandwidth than what a USB SSD drive is capable of moving. Not so much the drive itself but the connection (Sata III). About your BabyFace, it should work as well even though most audio interface companies request their products to be connected directly to the computer's USB port. I believe it would be fine too. It's worth trying and before you use it live, use the hell out of it, just to be sure.
Old 8th July 2016
Gear Nut

I reckon I'll keep the babyface plugged directly in and get a hub to try with external hd and dongles etc. Now that I got the Macbook I'm starting to understand the hatred of dongles.
Old 11th December 2016
I just switched from a Belkin TB hub (older one) to an OWC TB hub because I wanted the HDMI port. I have it connected to my 2012 mac air, the TB port is for my Apollo 8 Duo, and I plugged the hdmi to my monitor and low and behold, digital noise. Ugh, posting this here for the small chance someone will have an idea for me? If I turn off the Apollo, noise stops. If i pull out the HDMI, noise stops. If I pull shielded trs/xlr cables from monitors, noise stops. tried switching cables, no fix. I could try a heavier guage HDMI cable maybe? There is a subtle digital noise coming from my monitors and Im going crazy. I was daisy chaining the LED monitor through the Apollo, but if i turned off the interface, my monitor would shut down. What else can I try? Thanks
Old 11th December 2016
Lives for gear

OWC
Old 12th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
I just switched from a Belkin TB hub (older one) to an OWC TB hub because I wanted the HDMI port. I have it connected to my 2012 mac air, the TB port is for my Apollo 8 Duo, and I plugged the hdmi to my monitor and low and behold, digital noise. Ugh, posting this here for the small chance someone will have an idea for me? If I turn off the Apollo, noise stops. If i pull out the HDMI, noise stops. If I pull shielded trs/xlr cables from monitors, noise stops. tried switching cables, no fix. I could try a heavier guage HDMI cable maybe? There is a subtle digital noise coming from my monitors and Im going crazy. I was daisy chaining the LED monitor through the Apollo, but if i turned off the interface, my monitor would shut down. What else can I try? Thanks
Wow! I wanted to go with OWC but ended up with another brand after I couldn't get one at the price I wanted. If you bought it new then I would exchange. If you bought it used I'd return it. Before you do both, make sure everything connected right.
Old 28th December 2016
@ smoovemode , I actually borrowed it from a friend. But I have great news! I ended up plugging the OWC TB dock into my Furman rack power conditioner, same thing my audio interface's power is plugged into, and voila, no more hum. Hopefully that will help out future peeps with the same issue.
Old 7th September 2018
Here for the gear

A little late, but an HP Spectre/Win10/Bitwig running a Focusrite 2/4 through its USB 3.0 works great. But run it through the thunderbolt output into a cable matters thunderbolt 3 hub to USB (which was highly rated and priced), and the rendering cant keep up with the buffer size even set to 1024. So somehow the cable matters box or its driver interact with the audio buffering and the buffer runs out, producing that glitchy noise. Unacceptable.
Old 7th September 2018
TNM
Lives for gear
All I know is I use the caldigit TS3+ dock and it is amazeballs and worth every red cent.

Disk transfer speed is no different than directly connected to the imac, I have the TB3/USBC daisy chain port running a startech raid enclosure, and both the other two usb c ports on the dock running external SSD's. I have 4 of my midi synths plugged into the USB 3 ports on it, and i haven't had a single issue. Nada. I might be pushing my luck but I'll be connecting my old imac via the display port to MDP in target screen mode for a second monitor and see how I go.. Will do this weekend. It's built really solid, even if wall power is on it shuts down with computer, has a very nice and not in any way eye piercing little blue LED, and can sit vertically or horizontally... I wish I could afford another one for the other thunderbolt bus as the imac pro has two. However, from my old imac, i do have the OWC TB2 dock, and apparently that will work via a TB3 to TB2 adapter, which I have.. So I might try that, then connect my UAD stuff to it via daisy chain rather than directly into the imac, and see how I go.

But in any case, for Thunderbolt 3 users, the cal digit TS3+ is the dock. I checked every available dock and every video review I could find, and it was pretty much unanimous that the Cal digit was the bomb, and they were right.
Old 2nd February 2019
Lives for gear

Anyone any idea on this Hyperdrive Usb -c hub for ipad pro'18?
Sanho HyperDrive USB Type-C Hub for iPad Pro 2018 SAHD319AG B&H

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search