The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3
Old 12th August 2017
Gear Head

Just read this on SARACON | Weiss Engineering Ltd.

Hope its current and for real e.g. not a typo!!

“Doing the new Superior Drummer III Core Library, I’m reminded yet again that I can’t live without Saracon!”

Georg Massenburg, Professor, McGill University, Canada
Old 13th August 2017
Gear Maniac
Excited!
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear
I'm sure they will have legacy models in there and if there is any update at all required to use whatever is "Revolutionary" in the new Superior 3, I guarantee the last year or so of kits will easily update to whatever that thing is. Superior 3 must have been in development for a very long time, even if on the back burner. So the later kits would all have its tech in mind. I hope anyways. I bought progressive foundry not that long ago. A massive library that I guarantee was built with superior 3 in mind. I have no idea what superior 3 is, but my hope is that, if it has all the plugins built in, they update all the presets to this next generation.

My main concern is that I don't want to spend a lot of money. lol. Basically I am happy with this kit so I don't need any of the base kits that will come with superior 3 (probably). So I am hoping it is one of those "free" pieces of software, or at least cheap pieces, and its the kits that cost money.

I really really hope it has some next gen loop, and drum section building. EZdrummer has some great stuff but it is still quite clunky in what it does. I want more algorithmic tweaking. "softer", "harder", 'busier", and whatever else. Ez drummer kinda does some of this but I find its just not seamless. I do use it a lot though. And as mentioned before, I hate that the midi files from ez drummer, never quite translate to superior. hi-hat and other things sometimes just sound off and require a lot of tweaking of the midi file.
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Addict

found this blog link, but somebody pulled it back before I could read it. Just the google search caption is all that remains..

http://blog.timespace.com/2017/08/to...rummer-3-faqs/
Toontrack have done it again. Almost 10 years ago, Toontrack released the now legendary Superior Drummer 2 which revolutionized the drum software market ...
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedommer View Post
My main concern is that I don't want to spend a lot of money. lol. Basically I am happy with this kit so I don't need any of the base kits that will come with superior 3 (probably). So I am hoping it is one of those "free" pieces of software, or at least cheap pieces, and its the kits that cost money.
Many years ago my cross-grade price from DFH Superior Drummer to S2 was $50. I would be shocked if I see anything like that going from S2 to S3.

I too would like the freedom to just use the program without the base kits, but I would guess, for promotional purposes, they will include something new just to show off the possibilities.

I think Toontrack might have been satisfied simply milking EZD2 for all it's worth....and IMO it's worth a lot for the money. I wonder if sales have dramatically slowed down therefore it's finally time for S3 that seems like it should have been released 2 years ago?

I'm wondering if features such as tap-to-find will be included?

At the very least, I will be happy to receive TT promotions that are related to drums instead of the never-ending EZ mix stuff or endless SDX "sales".
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Many years ago my cross-grade price from DFH Superior Drummer to S2 was $50. I would be shocked if I see anything like that going from S2 to S3.

I too would like the freedom to just use the program without the base kits, but I would guess, for promotional purposes, they will include something new just to show off the possibilities.

I think Toontrack might have been satisfied simply milking EZD2 for all it's worth....and IMO it's worth a lot for the money. I wonder if sales have dramatically slowed down therefore it's finally time for S3 that seems like it should have been released 2 years ago?

I'm wondering if features such as tap-to-find will be included?

At the very least, I will be happy to receive TT promotions that are related to drums instead of the never-ending EZ mix stuff or endless SDX "sales".
yah all sounds good. For me the biggest is more advanced ways of writing and intertwining loops and creating song structures that done require me to buy 9 billions loops. Taking a few loops and using algorithms to create some in-between things and mix in fills is what I like. Ezdrummer does that not bad. but not great yet.

I'd love to see them go really advanced and do some integration stuff like Melodyne does in Studio One.

Either way I am super excited to finally have it out and it will be a day one purchase for me even if they really only do the bare minimum.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massan View Post
seems like it's happening

it would be interesting to see if they implemented more control on sample mapping/playback and unprocessed kits,
if it's just a continuation of the same marketing puff with a new flashy skin and overprocessed crap(eg avatar kicks), I'll be glad to pass.
I don't feel overly excited about the audio demo to be honest.

this is something I've been waiting for,GREAT NEWS!!!!
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Found this on vdrums.com, taken from that blog post before it was removed. Hope this holds you over 'til tomorrow!

Found this:

Toontrack have done it again.

Almost 10 years ago, Toontrack released the now legendary Superior Drummer 2 which revolutionized the drum software market and quickly became an industry standard. Superior Drummer 3, available worldwide on September 12th, has been completely redesigned from the ground up and includes a host of innovative new features to take your virtual drumming experience to a whole new level.

We imagine you have lot’s of questions and hopefully you’ll find some answers below;

What is new in SD3?

Superior Drummer 3 introduces a huge list of new features but here are some highlights for you;
New and improved workflow
Core sound library of over 230 GB, that’s ten times more than Superior Drummer 2
xx number of kits
An additional eleven room microphones are included set up in a surround configuration
Drum audio to MIDI conversion
35 SD3 mixer effects
Scalable interface
Detachable windows
Extensive MIDI library
Pool of electronic drum sounds

Are Superior 2 and Superior 3 different instruments/products?

Yes. SD3 is a completely new software engine so when you install SD3 it will not remove or replace SD2, both will exist on your computer independently of each-other.

I already own Superior 2, is there an upgrade to Superior Drummer 3?

Yes. As a registered Superior Drummer 2 user you save 50% on Superior Drummer 3. You can pre-order the Superior Drummer 3 upgrade now via the Time+Space website.

What if I recently bought Superior Drummer 2? Do I have to pay the full upgrade price?

Yes. There is no cheaper upgrade price depending on when you purchased Superior Drummer 2, it’s the same for everyone.

How is the Superior Drummer upgrade delivered?

The upgrade will be delivered as a serial number via e-mail from September 12th. You will then be able to register and then download the software and SD3 content using the Toontrack Product Manager. If downloading the 230 GB of SD3 content is a problem then you can also purchase the core sound library pre-installed on a solid-state drive (SSD) here.

I currently own EZdrummer 2, is there a crossgrade option to Superior Drummer 3?

Yes. Registered EZdrummer 2 users qualify for a 25% discount on Superior Drummer 3. As with the upgrade, the crossgrade will be delivered as a serial number via e-mail from September 12th.

You can pre-order the Superior Drummer 3 crossgrade now via the Time+Space website.

Will the full Superior Drummer 3 be available as a download or on a hard drive?

Superior Drummer 3 will be available to download on September 12th. You can also pre-order the 230 GB core sound library pre-installed on a solid-state drive (SSD) and expect to ship these out for delivery before September 12th.

What are the minimum system requirements for Superior Drummer 3?

TBC

How big is Superior Drummer 3?

The SD3 core sound library is just over 230 GB.

Do I have to download it all at once?

No. The SD3 core sound library download will be split into five parts, each around 50 GB in size which can be downloaded separately using the Toontrack Product Manager after registration. The first part represents a ‘Lite’ installation which can be used without downloading the other four parts. You can download the additional parts in the future at your leisure.

My download speed is slow, what other options do I have to get Superior Drummer 3?

If downloading the SD3 core sound library is a problem for any reason then we would recommend purchasing the core sound library on a solid-state drive (SSD) which can be pre-ordered here.

If I pre-order Superior Drummer 3 when will I receive it? (respond with info on serial and SSD).

If you pre-order SD3 today, your serial number will be delivered via e-mail on September 12th.

I already have some SDX expansions, will they work in Superior Drummer 3?

Yes, once you have downloaded the free SDX updates which add SD3 compatibility which will also be available on September 12th, your SDXs will not only work but include GUI enhancements.
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
Found this on vdrums.com, taken from that blog post before it was removed. Hope this holds you over 'til tomorrow!

Found this:

Toontrack have done it again.

Almost 10 years ago, Toontrack released the now legendary Superior Drummer 2 which revolutionized the drum software market and quickly became an industry standard. Superior Drummer 3, available worldwide on September 12th, has been completely redesigned from the ground up and includes a host of innovative new features to take your virtual drumming experience to a whole new level.

We imagine you have lot’s of questions and hopefully you’ll find some answers below;

What is new in SD3?

Superior Drummer 3 introduces a huge list of new features but here are some highlights for you;
New and improved workflow
Core sound library of over 230 GB, that’s ten times more than Superior Drummer 2
xx number of kits
An additional eleven room microphones are included set up in a surround configuration
Drum audio to MIDI conversion
35 SD3 mixer effects
Scalable interface
Detachable windows
Extensive MIDI library
Pool of electronic drum sounds

Are Superior 2 and Superior 3 different instruments/products?

Yes. SD3 is a completely new software engine so when you install SD3 it will not remove or replace SD2, both will exist on your computer independently of each-other.

I already own Superior 2, is there an upgrade to Superior Drummer 3?

Yes. As a registered Superior Drummer 2 user you save 50% on Superior Drummer 3. You can pre-order the Superior Drummer 3 upgrade now via the Time+Space website.

What if I recently bought Superior Drummer 2? Do I have to pay the full upgrade price?

Yes. There is no cheaper upgrade price depending on when you purchased Superior Drummer 2, it’s the same for everyone.

How is the Superior Drummer upgrade delivered?

The upgrade will be delivered as a serial number via e-mail from September 12th. You will then be able to register and then download the software and SD3 content using the Toontrack Product Manager. If downloading the 230 GB of SD3 content is a problem then you can also purchase the core sound library pre-installed on a solid-state drive (SSD) here.

I currently own EZdrummer 2, is there a crossgrade option to Superior Drummer 3?

Yes. Registered EZdrummer 2 users qualify for a 25% discount on Superior Drummer 3. As with the upgrade, the crossgrade will be delivered as a serial number via e-mail from September 12th.

You can pre-order the Superior Drummer 3 crossgrade now via the Time+Space website.

Will the full Superior Drummer 3 be available as a download or on a hard drive?

Superior Drummer 3 will be available to download on September 12th. You can also pre-order the 230 GB core sound library pre-installed on a solid-state drive (SSD) and expect to ship these out for delivery before September 12th.

What are the minimum system requirements for Superior Drummer 3?

TBC

How big is Superior Drummer 3?

The SD3 core sound library is just over 230 GB.

Do I have to download it all at once?

No. The SD3 core sound library download will be split into five parts, each around 50 GB in size which can be downloaded separately using the Toontrack Product Manager after registration. The first part represents a ‘Lite’ installation which can be used without downloading the other four parts. You can download the additional parts in the future at your leisure.

My download speed is slow, what other options do I have to get Superior Drummer 3?

If downloading the SD3 core sound library is a problem for any reason then we would recommend purchasing the core sound library on a solid-state drive (SSD) which can be pre-ordered here.

If I pre-order Superior Drummer 3 when will I receive it? (respond with info on serial and SSD).

If you pre-order SD3 today, your serial number will be delivered via e-mail on September 12th.

I already have some SDX expansions, will they work in Superior Drummer 3?

Yes, once you have downloaded the free SDX updates which add SD3 compatibility which will also be available on September 12th, your SDXs will not only work but include GUI enhancements.
Sweet. This was the blog that was pulled back before I could read it.

Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Wonder what the cost will be for those of us with SD2 and EZ2.
Old 14th August 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
50% off however much it costs. My guess is $150.
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skythemusic View Post
The blog claimed 50% off for owners of SD2, and 25% off for owners of EZ2.
Old 14th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
For me the biggest is more advanced ways of writing and intertwining loops and creating song structures that done require me to buy 9 billions loops.
Did you ever try EZPlayer Pro? I think EZPlayer is free?

It's not real intuitive to use, but in the midi realm I have created some very unique loops very easy. Most were happy accidents. But I don't see much response about it on forums. Perhaps because its an application that stays completely in the midi realm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrySmLXnDEY
Old 14th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
50% off however much it costs. My guess is $150.
thats what I'm thinking.
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Addict

Found this, but the link is already dead.
Attached Thumbnails
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3-sd3.jpg  
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

this looks so cool!!
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Did you ever try EZPlayer Pro? I think EZPlayer is free?

It's not real intuitive to use, but in the midi realm I have created some very unique loops very easy. Most were happy accidents. But I don't see much response about it on forums. Perhaps because its an application that stays completely in the midi realm?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrySmLXnDEY
Yes I have used it. I expected it to be updated many years ago to at least match EZdrummer's capabilities. Its a very dated piece of software. Much prefer to use EZdrummer2 for that. Not ideal, but works way better than EZplayer.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerone View Post
Found this, but the link is already dead.
Awesome. If it can help me wrote that many songs in 60 seconds then it will be awesome!!!
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Awesome. If it can help me wrote that many songs in 60 seconds then it will be awesome!!!
I'd settle for 60 days.. LOL
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
230 GB!! thats crazy. Excited to see what this brings though. I have a few of the core superior 2 kids and since getting progressive foundry I have ignored them since they are just dated in comparison, especially when played with an ekit.

Now I'm regretting getting the 1TB MacBook Pro. I do not have space....
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
A huge majority of that 230gb is the 11 room mics probably. I assume there will be a stereo only version. Thats what I will install.
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
230 GB!! thats crazy. Excited to see what this brings though. I have a few of the core superior 2 kids and since getting progressive foundry I have ignored them since they are just dated in comparison, especially when played with an ekit.

Now I'm regretting getting the 1TB MacBook Pro. I do not have space....
Agreed, thats a lot of space. As to the Mac, that is a decision you have to make. I don't want to open that can of worms..
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
A huge majority of that 230gb is the 11 room mics probably. I assume there will be a stereo only version. Thats what I will install.
A lot of that sounds like its electronic BOOM sounds made to compete with NI Maschine.

I don't really think thats what SD users want, but what do I know.

I'm looking forward into any automated song writing help with MIDI.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes I have used it. I expected it to be updated many years ago to at least match EZdrummer's capabilities. Its a very dated piece of software. Much prefer to use EZdrummer2 for that. Not ideal, but works way better than EZplayer.
I was thinking there are features in EZPlayerPro that are not found in EZD2?

The looping...loops nested inside larger loops...and ease of shifting the loops due to the separate play buttons for every track created. Can EZD2 do that? I'm not referring to midi drum editing. To be honest, I haven't used it in a long time because I haven't had the need for unique grooves so I could be wrong. It definitely is long in the tooth like...10 years old?
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
I was thinking there are features in EZPlayerPro that are not found in EZD2?

The looping...loops nested inside larger loops...and ease of shifting the loops due to the separate play buttons for every track created. Can EZD2 do that? I'm not referring to midi drum editing. To be honest, I haven't used it in a long time because I haven't had the need for unique grooves so I could be wrong. It definitely is long in the tooth like...10 years old?
honestly, just don't think about it. EZplayer is terrible. its 10 years old and terrible. Its not worth thinking about.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
honestly, just don't think about it. EZplayer is terrible. its 10 years old and terrible. Its not worth thinking about.
Fully agreed. It was a neat concept when it was released, but it's just relic-ware now. I rarely used it back then and I never touch it now.
Old 15th August 2017
Superior Drummer 3 yields endless choices for honing, shaping, and molding drums. Over 230GB of raw sounds were captured at Galaxy Studios by the legendary George Massenburg. There's also drag-and-drop support for individual or third-party samples. SD3's mixer provides advanced routing, control over individual mic bleed, and is loaded with 35 top-tier studio effects. And with integrated audio-to-MIDI conversion, Superior Drummer 3 provides powerful drum replacement and augmentation. Finding the right groove is easy, thanks to advanced search functions, and you can build and arrange full drum tracks without leaving the program.
Old 15th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginaryday View Post
Superior Drummer 3 yields endless choices for honing, shaping, and molding drums. Over 230GB of raw sounds were captured at Galaxy Studios by the legendary George Massenburg. There's also drag-and-drop support for individual or third-party samples. SD3's mixer provides advanced routing, control over individual mic bleed, and is loaded with 35 top-tier studio effects. And with integrated audio-to-MIDI conversion, Superior Drummer 3 provides powerful drum replacement and augmentation. Finding the right groove is easy, thanks to advanced search functions, and you can build and arrange full drum tracks without leaving the program.
So have they implemented an EZD2 search/tap2find and song creator type tool? If so I'd crossgrade for sure...
Old 15th August 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just spent a solid amount of time jamming with progressive foundry. holy crap that library is spectacular. Very interesting going from jamming with EZ drummer to this. the expressiveness difference is huge.
Quote:
I bought progressive foundry not that long ago. A massive library that I guarantee was built with superior 3 in mind.
I spent some time at the studio in Melbourne where Karnivool helped record that library during my second AE course, mate.

I haven't been there since the '90s, but it was a cool little place. Apparently the library turned out very-well; you're not the first to say this!

Quote:
I'm counting on this, mate. If there's not a stereo version, where the only things missing are the surround mic's, I'll simply not have the space and have to go without, which will be a huge bummer not even worth contemplating.
Old 15th August 2017
Haven't looked at any of the promo material yet, but Toontrack have their own compression algorithm.
I doubt the product will be a 230GB download. That's how much material they put together before they formatted it for the final product.
Also, put your drum libraries on an external HD. Large terabyte hard drives are cheap.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search