The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
8Port/SE earthvega DirectMusic driver revival MIDI Processors
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear

8Port/SE earthvega DirectMusic driver revival

apparently earthvega is no longer suporting custom directmusic midi driver and the driver certificate is expired. me and few other gs members were have discussions thru private messaging about this issue, but decided that making a thread about this would be useful so others can be aware of this and can contribute / help.

I still have the rar installation file available.

there is a price to pay microsoft to buy / extend driver certificate.
the more people we will have to participate the cheaper it will be for us individually.
Old 25th August 2014
Here for the gear

Just want to add something, this applies mainly to the 64-bit version as the 32-bit driver doesn't need a certificate.

Now I noticed a problem with the driver being that the serial number + username is hardcoded and encrypted in the sys file and the setup, meaning that everyone who has the 64-bit driver has to get the driver signed individually. (Fortunately, we could share the certificate and sign the drivers in bulk, but everyone has to upload their driver files and we can't upgrade from a version to another using a different serial number as far as I know.)The sys file would be very hard to decompile to figure out how it works. There might be a way to do a hex edit between different driver versions to put the right encrypted serial in place, but I cannot say that this would work properly.
Old 27th August 2014
Gear interested

On 64bits it's possible to use a self signed driver (with a tool that can be found here), but you have to run windows in test signing mode ( run cmd as administrator -> Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON ).

How much is MS's certificate?
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

How does 'test mode' differ from normal mode ? Besides having 'testing mode' ssi played in the screen ?
Old 13th October 2014
Lives for gear

Btw, can someone find a good link or post instructions how to enter test mode properly ?
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Nut

Is this the old Opcode unit?
Old 17th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha View Post
Is this the old Opcode unit?
Yep that one

8Port/SE earthvega DirectMusic driver revival-image_3077.jpg

Originally it didn't come with 64bit directmusic driver. The driver was developed by earthvega connection who disapeared about a year ago and the driver certificate expired as well
Old 17th October 2014
Gear Nut

I used to have the 2port. I may even still have the old driver on some disc somewhere!

Do you NEED to have the driver certificate updated? I've never had a problem with bypassing that.
Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manymanyhaha View Post
I used to have the 2port. I may even still have the old driver on some disc somewhere!

Do you NEED to have the driver certificate updated? I've never had a problem with bypassing that.
The only driver certificate needs be renewed is earthvega's custom driver for 8port/se. Original one's certificate is ok except that it's not 'directmusic' but 'windowsmidi'
Old 18th October 2014
Lives for gear

Hey Antdes and Pranza, do you have your 8port/se working ??
Old 24th October 2014
Here for the gear

Hello,
I would be interested in a 32bit driver for that interface, which is not available anywhere on the Internet...
I would like to program the Patchbay for studio usage with my old PC which runs under WinXP...
Any support is appreciated.

Kind regards, Nils
Old 20th December 2014
Here for the gear

Oh turns out I wasn't following the topic...

Well, driver signing certificates can go between $200 to $500 and the only difference with test mode is that you can install unsigned drivers. You can start Windows 7 by pressing a key in the boot menu to disable signature enforcement during driver installation. If the driver is signed with this tool: Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b, then it's going to work after reboots without test mode.

However, Windows 8 will disable the driver as soon as you go back to the normal boot mode. There you have two choices: sign the driver or put Windows in test mode.

I don't have a parallel port to test on my current mainboard, but at least the driver installs successfully.
Old 29th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdes45 View Post
Oh turns out I wasn't following the topic...

Well, driver signing certificates can go between $200 to $500 and the only difference with test mode is that you can install unsigned drivers. You can start Windows 7 by pressing a key in the boot menu to disable signature enforcement during driver installation. If the driver is signed with this tool: Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b, then it's going to work after reboots without test mode.

However, Windows 8 will disable the driver as soon as you go back to the normal boot mode. There you have two choices: sign the driver or put Windows in test mode.

I don't have a parallel port to test on my current mainboard, but at least the driver installs successfully.
Thanks a million!!!
Old 11th February 2015
Here for the gear

I have a version of the Win7 driver with a generic registration (I think I was the last person to buy it before he stopped development), but it won't install under Win8.

I'm trying to contact the developer at the moment to see what options are available. I'm willing to put up some cash to get a new version of the driver if the issue is the cost of the certificate.

If I get in contact with the developer I'll direct him to this thread.
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post
I have a version of the Win7 driver with a generic registration (I think I was the last person to buy it before he stopped development), but it won't install under Win8.

I'm trying to contact the developer at the moment to see what options are available. I'm willing to put up some cash to get a new version of the driver if the issue is the cost of the certificate.

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppeteer View Post

Hi! Is there still a developer, or at least someone that takes care of the driver? I must have missed that, thought that Earthvega was not available any more... I'd like to purchase the driver...
Old 16th February 2015
Here for the gear

I noticed Evert updated his LinkedIn profile recently, so it sounds like he's still alive. However, it also states he quit EVC last October.

By the way, I found a $95 USD code-signing certificates. We can sign drivers for up to a year with it, and they should not expire again.

Now, I don't believe there'a generic 64-bit driver around and I haven't found anyone with the latest version.
I have no clue on what to do with this, but the setup.exe and sys files are custom-compiled for every registration numbers.

nilsd, I have no idea if Evert will come out of the blue if we start sharing our drivers and serials...
Old 16th February 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdes45 View Post
nilsd, I have no idea if Evert will come out of the blue if we start sharing our drivers and serials...
Fair enough - i didn't want to ask for illegal actions
But if ever you manage to contact him, maybe it is interesting that there are still people interested in the driver, as obsolete as it may be...
Old 17th February 2015
Here for the gear

Smile

Guys,

I've had no luck so far with Evert, but will keep trying.

In the meantime, I've found a workaround to get access to the 8PortSE from Win 8.1 (or even a Mac or XP if you are that way inclined).

I was looking at the interfaces by Alyseum as a potential alternative, but being broke at the moment was still keen on using my existing hardware.

Alyseum sits on top of a network messaging system called CopperLan CopperLan which is available free, and can route MIDI over a network. It's like a networked version of MIDI Ox

Basically, I used my old DAW (Win 7 - 64 bit laptop) which has the 8PortSE drivers (and Midex 8 Drivers) and installed CopperLan on it.

I also installed CopperLan on my new Win 8.1 DAW. Connected everything with virtual MIDI cables and now have 16 MIDI I/O from my win 8.1 machine.

No problem for my studio where I can have a laptop sitting in the corner serving MIDI to the rest of my network, but probably not ideal Live.

The performance seems OK. I had to adjust sync by -25ms within Ableton Live to get an ableton kick to line up with a Korg EMX-1, so probably a bit more latency than a direct connection, but still very workable, and importantly the latency seems pretty constant. The copperLan guys claim that it won't mess with SYSEX either, so that's encouraging, though I haven't tested it as yet.

Just to be clear this 25ms isn't simply the MIDI latency it's the whole chain of Ableton Live -> Win 8.1 -> CopperLan -> Win 7 -> 8PortSE -> EMX1 -> RME UFX (audio) -> Ableton Live -> Audio Outputs

This will certainly serve my needs for the short term until we can get a better solution. It's clunky in that you need another PC to act as the MIDI server, but it also has the advantage that any computer or copperLan device in your network can access any MIDI port connected, and the patching capabilities are pretty comprehensive.

I'll do a step by step showing the process over at Godlike Productions shortly for anyone who wants to pursue this.

It should be equally applicable to any MIDI interface for which you have xp or win 7 drivers.

Last edited by Puppeteer; 17th February 2015 at 03:15 AM.. Reason: Fixing urls
Old 26th February 2015
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

I've managed to get in touch with Evert from Earth Vega and he's given us the OK to try to get this driver working under Windows 8.1. He isn't able to provide support as he is busy and not using the 8PortSE any more, but it is a great gesture from him.

I'll liase with antdes45 and see if we can get something functional going.
Old 4th March 2015
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

A bit of an update. We've successfully tested a test signed driver under windows 8.1 and verified that it installs and works.

The next stage is to purchase a certificate to sign the driver so that you don't need to be in developer mode to use the device.

If you are interested in using your 8PortSE under Windows 8.1 and are prepared to share the costs of a certificate, please confirm by replying in this thread. The more we get, the cheaper it will be for everyone.

antdes45 will post more information shortly. Hopefully the costs won't be too steep.
Old 5th March 2015
Here for the gear

The certificate is $70 USD split between users interested in the driver (we're two for now). We can sign the driver once and it will work for a lifetime until Microsoft changes their driver model (still good for Windows 10 I believe). Puppeteer has the latest 3.6.488 64-bit driver with a generic registration.
Old 5th March 2015
Here for the gear

Hi!
Please count me in, thank you for your persistence on this one!
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

count me in as well. thank you so much guys!!! these are the best news I heard this year! you guys are awesome !
Old 7th March 2015
Gear interested
After “upgrading” (I use the term loosely) from Windows XP I thought that I had left my beloved 8PortSE behind as I moved on to bigger and better Windows 7 64 bit with a MOTU 896 Mk3 and two MOTU MIDI Express 128, but have been without MIDI for months due to regular BSODs!

I did contact Evert to look at the possibility of buying a 64 bit driver, but never got a reply.

There are no parallel ports on my motherboard, so I would have to find an appropriate card – preferably with two, to run both my 8PortSEs to give me the 16 channels that I need and throw the MOTU crap away.

Any, help, recommendations for cards, links to drivers, etc., would be hugely appreciated – I need to get my music back on track!

…and needless to say, yes I’m in for any funding!

Much thanks…
Old 7th March 2015
Lives for gear

will not work also on win 7 ?
Old 7th March 2015
Here for the gear

The 64-bit version should work with Vista, 7, 8.1 at least. I have not tested to see if it worked on a 32-bit OS. But, I also have the 32-bit version for XP that might work with Windows 7 32-bit.

Now I managed to pay $70 for the certificate, however, the certificate authority needs my ID to be validated by a notary or attorney (I really don't know how much that will cost) and they want fax + registered mail copy of my ID proofs. Let's see how long all this takes.
Old 7th March 2015
Here for the gear

MaleXLR

This is the card I got for my PC. - 1 Port Parallel PCIe Card They also have a PCI version with 2 ports and laptop cards.

Antdes, the notary fees shouldn't be exorbitant. It's basically an ID check under oath and should be pretty quick.
Old 8th March 2015
Gear interested
Thanks Puppeteer... looks great. Any thoughts on where I can get me the Windows 7, 64 bit driver please?
Old 9th March 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaleXLR View Post
Thanks Puppeteer... looks great. Any thoughts on where I can get me the Windows 7, 64 bit driver please?
That's the one we are looking at getting re-certified, and that we are chasing contributors for.

The driver will work for Win 7, 8, 8.1 and probably 10 all 64 bit.

If you purchased the original driver from Earth Vega Connection, it will work for Win 7 - 64 bit, but not for newer OS's. Earth Vega no longer offers this driver for sale and is no longer developing the driver, hence our efforts here.

Last edited by Puppeteer; 9th March 2015 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: typo
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search