The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
FabFilter Pro-Q2 - Announced!
Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortWarning View Post
There is currently a sale on fabfilter bundles but nothing on individual plugins so I don't think Pro-Q will be any cheaper until much later in the year.

Would anyone be kind enough to send me a discount code?

Thanks a lot.

Yeah, FabFilter has a neatly automated cart - as you add plugins they prices drop. Be aware that they appear as 'bundles' and can only be sold as such if you ever want to unload them.
Old 15th July 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence Sanchez View Post
I'm not running it in parallel. Just on an insert on the bass track and high passing. I don't know if it's pre-ringing or phasing.... It sounds like phasing to me, not sure if it is.

It is a very noticeable issue. The bass is less focused and more spread out in the stereo field. Almost chorusy or phasey. In linear mode, all that goes away and the bass gets "mono" again and more focused, and more importantly, much more "correct."

Watched the video (again. It's a good one!). Still don't quite understand what's going on.... At least Linear mode solves this.

I mostly posted this to see if anyone else has noticed this when high passing the bass with Pro-Q2. Anyone else notice this?
It was a bug that I reported few versions before, and they corrected this but not 100%.

Still on Natural Phase mode is not exactly like it should be.

Reported here: FabFilter User Forum - Pro-Q 2 Natural Phase - post-ringing

So there is my report here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10416164-post136.html

And more from others:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10502736-post150.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10502784-post153.html

FabFilter User Forum - Pro-Q 2 natural phase w/multi-mic'd instruments

http://www.fabfilter.com/forum/2272/...15#comment8091

So I'm still on V1.23 until they fix all this mess.

Last edited by Den; 15th July 2015 at 10:44 PM..
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

I've also noticed Natural phase mode can have some issues equing the low end (cuts,shelves, boosts whatever) compared to zero latency mode, much prefer sticking to zero lat mode for handling the low end.
Old 16th July 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
It was a bug that I reported few versions before, and they corrected this but not 100%.

Still on Natural Phase mode is not exactly like it should be.

Reported here: FabFilter User Forum - Pro-Q 2 Natural Phase - post-ringing

So there is my report here:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10416164-post136.html

And more from others:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10502736-post150.html

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/10502784-post153.html

FabFilter User Forum - Pro-Q 2 natural phase w/multi-mic'd instruments

FabFilter User Forum - Pro-Q vs Proq-Q2

So I'm still on V1.23 until they fix all this mess.
Thanks for posting this. I knew something was not quite right. Hope they fix this.

So this doesn't happen with the original Pro-Q correct?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for posting this. I knew something was not quite right. Hope they fix this.

I guess another option is to not use Natural Phase in ProQ2
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
I guess another option is to not use Natural Phase in ProQ2
The problem with that is the latency of Linear Phase mode, but yea. It's an option.
Lives for gear

Quote:
The problem with that is the latency of Linear Phase mode, but yea. It's an option.
I generally just use the standard Zero Latency mode
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatworld View Post
I generally just use the standard Zero Latency mode
I think you might have missed my original point: Zero Latency and Natural Latency cause some sort of phasing (or something) when filtering the low end. So those modes are not an option.

Real bummer cause this is (was) my workhorse eq.
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think you might have missed my original point: Zero Latency and Natural Latency cause some sort of phasing (or something) when filtering the low end. So those modes are not an option.

Yep, I missed your original point
I really only use ProQ2 for narrow cuts and notches and it works well for me doing that, love the solo band feature for sweeps.
Lives for gear

Quote:

How steep a HPF are you using when you notice this?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
How steep a HPF are you using when you notice this?
In a session I'm on right now, I noticed the phasing on the bass at:

44.6 Hz using a 30 dB/oct HPF, and

16.2 Hz using a Bell 12 dB/oct, Q at 2.2, -30 db.

I tried using the above bell filter to do the same thing as the HPF in the hopes that the "phasing" would not be there. But it still is.

Again, this only happens in Zero Latency and Natural Phase mode. In Linear Phase mode it does not happen. And again, I don't know if it is actually "phasing." I describe it as phasing because it sounds like the bass is less focused, it's harder to place in the stereo field (sounds more spread out), and on certain fundamental frequencies, the problem is more pronounced.

Switching between the Zero and Natural modes, to the Linear mode sounds very similar to switching the phase on say a top and bottom snare mic. It's obvious that something is wrong, but since it's the bass, it's a little harder to hear it.
Old 17th July 2015
Lives for gear

Well, I would imagine that natural phase delivers what it says it does, which is the natural phase characteristics of whatever the slopes used. IOW, you will hear phase issues around and sometimes even well above the crossover. This is why I use first order HPFs almost as a rule.
Old 17th July 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:

No.
Pro-Q V1.23 is safe.

They changed the LPF in V2 also.

From FF Forum I quoted:

Hi guys,

In Pro-Q v1, we had implemented the 24 dB/oct and 48 dB/oct filters as 'doubled' 12 and 24 dB/oct filters. Due to this, they can 'accidently' be used a crossovers :-)

In Pro-Q 2, we've implemented 'true' higher order filters (at any slope, the gain at the center frequency is -3 dB/oct.

So to use Pro-Q 2's filters as crossover filters... just double them! In other words: you can re-create Pro-Q v1's 24 dB/oct filters by simply using 2 12 dB/oct filters in Pro-Q 2.
Floris (FabFilter) - Sep 26, 2014

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the best place to hear transparency of different EQ's.
shootout-dot-fm

Pro-Q V 1.23 is more transparent from Pro-Q2.

Last edited by Den; 17th July 2015 at 09:32 AM..
Quote:

Can you post an audio example of the phasing you are hearing in zero latency mode? I've never heard any phasing on my end, I'm interested in hearing what you've got going on. Maybe we can be of help..
Quote:

44.6 Hz using a 30 dB/oct HPF, and

16.2 Hz using a Bell 12 dB/oct, Q at 2.2, -30 db.
Wouldn't these settings increase phase issues anyway too much with any EQ? They look pretty extreme to me. Never used such settings.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Wouldn't these settings increase phase issues anyway too much with any EQ? They look pretty extreme to me. Never used such settings.
Maybe that's the issue. Is a 30 db/oct HPF extreme for the bass? That's what I'm doing in a current session, but I seem to remember that it happens at other octaves as well. I'll check that.

I actually think that it's this issue that Den was kind enough to post (but I don't quite understand the technicalities of it):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den View Post
From FF Forum I quoted:

Hi guys,

In Pro-Q v1, we had implemented the 24 dB/oct and 48 dB/oct filters as 'doubled' 12 and 24 dB/oct filters. Due to this, they can 'accidently' be used a crossovers :-)

In Pro-Q 2, we've implemented 'true' higher order filters (at any slope, the gain at the center frequency is -3 dB/oct.

So to use Pro-Q 2's filters as crossover filters... just double them! In other words: you can re-create Pro-Q v1's 24 dB/oct filters by simply using 2 12 dB/oct filters in Pro-Q 2.
Floris (FabFilter) - Sep 26, 2014
---

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
Can you post an audio example of the phasing you are hearing in zero latency mode? I've never heard any phasing on my end, I'm interested in hearing what you've got going on. Maybe we can be of help..
I'll do this as soon as I can.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Old 21st July 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Maybe that's the issue. Is a 30 db/oct HPF extreme for the bass? That's what I'm doing in a current session, but I seem to remember that it happens at other octaves as well. I'll check that.
I personally find it quite hefty, but not extreme. I usually use 12dB, rarely 24dB. Almost never more than that. To tame the low end 12dB is way enough.
Old 12th August 2015
I must admit, using all of the other FF plugins feel a bit dated now after using pro q2 for a year now. Wonder if the others will get updates at some point as well.

On a side note, I've been in the market for a good gate, but I now have an irrational fear that I'll buy their gate and shortly after (right after the grace period), a sweet update will come out and cost extra to upgrade.

hmmm..

Last edited by joe_04_04; 12th August 2015 at 11:53 AM..
Old 12th August 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_04_04 View Post
I must admit, using all of the other FF plugins feel a bit dated now after using for a year now. Wonder if the others will get updates at some point as well.

On a side note, I've been in the market for a good gate, but I now have an irrational fear that I'll buy their gate and shortly after (right after the grace period), a sweet update will come out and cost extra to upgrade.

hmmm..
Actually that'd be no bad, Pro-G is just great. Even if there would be a Pro-G2 after a couple of months, your money wouldn't be wasted, if you upgrade or don't upgrade. Pro-G does a great job.
Old 12th August 2015
Gear Maniac

I don't known how you use proq2?
I'm using it as a second eq like swiss tool: perfect for surgical op and for eqmatching.
As first eq i.m using AirEq.
Shame on me?

Last edited by djayart; 12th August 2015 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12th August 2015 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by djayart View Post
I don't known how you use proq2?
I'm using it as a second eq like swiss tool: perfect for chirurgical op and for eqmatching.
As first eq i.m using AirEq.
Shame on me?
Well, I use it two ways. I either use it entirely on its own to do all of my EQ work (cuts and boosts), or I use it as a surgical tool to remove annoying sounds when I'm using an emulation EQ that isn't surgical. So I'll use the emulation for color and workflow and then, if need be, I'll pop open pro q. For a snare that was just awful, I used Burnley 73 to cut the subs that didn't do anything, add some heft to the bottom to thick, and give it a sheen on the top end, then used FF PQ2 to remove 2 annoying resonances at 780 something and 800 hz.

So yeah, either on its own for everything or in conjunction with a character EQ.
📝 Reply