The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
GuitarRig 5 Alternatives? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 4th September 2015
I have the axe fx, which I love. Tried amplitube and guitar rig. Have currently been using Bias FX and Bias amp on ipad, and have been very impressed. I use them for practice at the moment, but believe its a viable option. Possibly the desktops are better quality also. They are probably the best sim, I have heard.... That i have tried anyway.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPolo View Post
I have the axe fx, which I love. Tried amplitube and guitar rig. Have currently been using Bias FX and Bias amp on ipad, and have been very impressed. I use them for practice at the moment, but believe its a viable option. Possibly the desktops are better quality also. They are probably the best sim, I have heard.... That i have tried anyway.
I use BIAS on iPad. Its pretty amazing sounding and for practicing but its not the most stable app for recording. I havent tried BIAS FX or the desktop version.
Old 5th September 2015
Hi telecode - I haven't had any issues with Bias FX... its quite stable, from my experience. The main issue is, would I stop using my amp setup and Axe FX for recording for Bias Fx.... probably not. you get what you pay for, but the quality is up there with the other Sims out there (The effects are quite remarkable), especial used with a descent audio interface. Especially when you consider the price.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

S-gear, revalver, bias, NON-TRANSFERABLE. Otherwise I'd own none of the above

Kuassa's "creme" is really good but you can't be a novice with sims. You'll need some eq, maybe some comp and then gain staging is really important (it has a limiter which is ok, but can still get really bottom heavy if you are not careful)

It's like 39 bucks and has a demo. Can do clean to insane.
@Impulses: Mixed bag, but you CAN try something like ignite audios free impulse loader and then find "gods cabs" or just pay 8+ bucks per (or they have packages) for Rosen digital.
Old 5th September 2015
Lives for gear

Bx rockrack and amplitube are pretty good in my experience.
You can go high gain with these and it will be more realistic than guitar rig.

I still wouldn't call amplitube great for high gain althoigh the new Mesa boogie pack they have out might change that a bit.
The noise gate on amplitube sucks for high gain, plus the noise that is introduced from the plugin is absolutely crazy.
Im using pretty decent emg actives on on esp, btw.

Waves gtr I found to be pretty cool personally, but I only playe with it for a few days. More for crunchy tones or clean in my opinion and limited experience.

I keep hearing great things about bias, but listening to the demos and etching the videos I just did not hear that much of a difference to justify hopping on board with a new(er) plugin company that, truly... I'm not familiar with.
Old 6th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dented42ford View Post
I'm gonna agree with everyone that GR5 is "just not there" - yet, I think the same can be said for every single plugin and/or hardware box. Yes, that includes the Axe and Kemper (and yes, I have plenty of experience with both)!!!

The truth is, you'll never get "Oh My GAWD" sounds out of plugins
To be strict - This is all completely subjective, and if we're going the Appeal to Authority route - there are sim-amp tones being recorded by major artists, their techs and producers who are having no problems getting what are to them "Jaw dropping" sounds. They wouldn't even touch them whilst having access to real amps otherwise. There may be some that use them for convenience or cost. But that doesn't prove anything in itself.

I do agree that the sims are intrinsically conducive to more processed tones, and sims doing "minimal" or "Raw" require quite a bit of careful tweaking to work with the particular guitar and interface and their interaction...
The real problem is, a lot of people don't realize that. Amp sims are not just "Plug and Play" - but then, neither is a mic'd amp.

Last edited by Grant Ransom; 6th September 2015 at 01:32 PM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search