The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternative to Avid pro compressor? Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Alternative to Avid pro compressor?

I am so impressed using Avid's pro compressor. Really smooth and transparent but not too transparent. Works really well on vocals. I have it on trial along with a Pro Tools trial. Can anyone recommend me any similar and perhaps better alternatives? Something I could use in Logic as well. Thanks!

Here are some that Ive already tried but still preferred Avid's:

FF Pro-C
DMG Compassion
Klanghlem DC8C
Waves C1
Waves Rvox
Waves Rcomp
Flux Pure Compressor
Sonnox Dynamics
Elysia Mpressor
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Melda MCompressor
Plugin Alliance Vertigo VSC-2
Stillwell Rocket

Compressors are like ice cream though, the flavors I like might not be what you are into. Some of the ones you already passed on I think work quite well.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
Melda MCompressor
Plugin Alliance Vertigo VSC-2
Stillwell Rocket

Compressors are like ice cream though, the flavors I like might not be what you are into. Some of the ones you already passed on I think work quite well.
Thanks. I am looking for flavor similar to avid pro compressor
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

Honestly for me Compassion can be made to sound like pretty much anything you want if you spend the time to set it up. That would be the one I would have told you to try out, but you've already nixed it (it does cost more than Avid Pro Comp, but it does play well across platforms. The next one with the kind of flexibility and character you are looking for that I would recommend would be Melda MCompressor (but it does not do negative ratios like APC).

Good luck with it I'm curious as to what you'll end up with... maybe come back and say what you ended up with if anything.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Avid Pro Compressor has a pretty similar flavor to Avid Pro Compressor and its only $99 bucks!
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Avid Pro Compressor has a pretty similar flavor to Avid Pro Compressor and its only $99 bucks!
L to the O to the L !
Old 8th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvalmont View Post
Except for that whole "only in PT" thing...

OP, it is funny to me that you listed three of my "go-to" compressors in your list. Funny because all three are chameleons, hence my liking them as "go-to's": Pro-C, Compassion, and Mpressor. Frankly, given your list of "not-for-me's", I'm at a loss for suggestions - not something that happens that often. I must admit I've never really messed with Avid's plugs - when I use PT I use 3rd party stuff, for the most part - but I have no doubt it is a fine comp.

What didn't you like about the alternatives you've tried? Maybe that could help with the suggestion-making? I mean, sonically Compassion can replicate most anything (with time), so obviously it wasn't just about sound. Oh, and "transparent but not too transparent" is exactly what I grab the Elysia stuff for...

Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

McDSP Compressorbank would be my recommendation. Might not look as sexy as hardware modeled plug-ins, but sonically it's among the top of the crop.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
So far Mcdsp I think came the closest out of everything I tried. What avid does that none of the others seem to do is is just really smooth natural and clean compression. When I want more hardware sound I get really good results with UAd's 1176 Rev A combined with Uad's La2a grey on vocals. But sometimes you just want clean compression. Honestly Avid's pro compressor and the digi eqIII are two plugins I'm trying out that are making me want to switch to pro tools just for those 2 plugins.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dented42ford View Post
Except for that whole "only in PT" thing...

OP, it is funny to me that you listed three of my "go-to" compressors in your list. Funny because all three are chameleons, hence my liking them as "go-to's": Pro-C, Compassion, and Mpressor. Frankly, given your list of "not-for-me's", I'm at a loss for suggestions - not something that happens that often. I must admit I've never really messed with Avid's plugs - when I use PT I use 3rd party stuff, for the most part - but I have no doubt it is a fine comp.

What didn't you like about the alternatives you've tried? Maybe that could help with the suggestion-making? I mean, sonically Compassion can replicate most anything (with time), so obviously it wasn't just about sound. Oh, and "transparent but not too transparent" is exactly what I grab the Elysia stuff for...

Hard to put into words but I'll try:

Pro-C - not enough weight
Compassion - a little rough sounding
Mpressor - this one is on the right track but still not quite as natural/simple to my ears as avid's
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

McDSP Ultimate Compressor!
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
McDSP Ultimate Compressor!
This was one of the best from what I tested
Old 9th August 2014
Lives for gear

Glad you found something you liked.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear
So I've come back full circle to fab filter Pro-C. At first I thought it was too light when I was in clean mode. But after discovering and playing around with the classic mode it really rocks and I think I was able to get a better sound and have more flexibility than avid's. Go fabfilter!
Old 15th August 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegel View Post
So I've come back full circle to fab filter Pro-C. At first I thought it was too light when I was in clean mode. But after discovering and playing around with the classic mode it really rocks and I think I was able to get a better sound and have more flexibility than avid's. Go fabfilter!
agreed...the classic mode for pro-c is usually my favorite.
I think it is most similar to the digi compressor...it's a good one.
Old 15th August 2014
Gear Addict

Metric halo channelstrip 3
Sonnox dynamics

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search