The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is SSD4 Platinum worth it for me? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Is SSD4 Platinum worth it for me?

Hi,

SSD4 is at a great price at the moment without a doubt. I've got other Slate plugins and love them so this is making my wallet itch! But I probably don't *need* more drums. So can you talk me into it or out of it?

I recently got EZ Drummer 2 and am very happy with it - I'm just a keen amateur who writes, records and tinkers about so EZ 2 is perfect in terms of ease of use. I've bought a few of the expansion packs and I'm happy with the quality of sounds and the variety is welcome.

So my questions are:-

1. Will SSD4 be pretty much 'plug and play' with EZ Drummer 2 as far as the mapping goes? I'm hoping just a menu selection in SSD4? If not, how much of a PITA is it?

2. It's been out a lot longer than EZ2. How is the quality of the sound vs the newer product? As I'm happy with the Indie Folk kit (for example) that I got which is also a year or two old I'm possibly not as fussy as some

3. Is it worth it for my situation? 100 kits sounds like a steal for the added variety but not if I prefer the EZ 2 kits from a quality viewpoint..... If the EZ 2 kits beat all or most of the 100 it'll go unused and, bargain or not, I'll have to pass.

Opinions gratefully received
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_W View Post
Hi,

SSD4 is at a great price at the moment without a doubt. I've got other Slate plugins and love them so this is making my wallet itch! But I probably don't *need* more drums. So can you talk me into it or out of it?

I recently got EZ Drummer 2 and am very happy with it - I'm just a keen amateur who writes, records and tinkers about so EZ 2 is perfect in terms of ease of use. I've bought a few of the expansion packs and I'm happy with the quality of sounds and the variety is welcome.

So my questions are:-

1. Will SSD4 be pretty much 'plug and play' with EZ Drummer 2 as far as the mapping goes? I'm hoping just a menu selection in SSD4? If not, how much of a PITA is it?

2. It's been out a lot longer than EZ2. How is the quality of the sound vs the newer product? As I'm happy with the Indie Folk kit (for example) that I got which is also a year or two old I'm possibly not as fussy as some

3. Is it worth it for my situation? 100 kits sounds like a steal for the added variety but not if I prefer the EZ 2 kits from a quality viewpoint..... If the EZ 2 kits beat all or most of the 100 it'll go unused and, bargain or not, I'll have to pass.

Opinions gratefully received
A lot of reads but no opinions which is fair enough - I don't know the answer either

I've been naughty / sensible (delete as applicable) and gone for it. With the exchange rate and the gift card from Audio Deluxe, it's working out about 50p UK per kit so it'd be rude not to really! I'm guessing that once the order gets processed my Internet bandwidth is going to be taking a hammering for a few hours as I believe we're talking 10 gig download or so?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

quality of sound is top. sampler/MIDI etc is better in EZdrummer and superior. I'd recommend it 100% but program your beats in EZdrummer and then change the mapping in Slate Drums to one of the toontrack ones and it should play easy.
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinated View Post
quality of sound is top. sampler/MIDI etc is better in EZdrummer and superior. I'd recommend it 100% but program your beats in EZdrummer and then change the mapping in Slate Drums to one of the toontrack ones and it should play easy.
Many thanks for the reply

It's downloading now but, by the time it's here and installed, it's going to be morning / work etc so I'm guessing I won't get to play till this time tomorrow.
Old 8th August 2014
Lives for gear

I have both. And many others!
SSD4 Plat I use a LOT for doubling or layering in with my superior stuff.
Old 8th August 2014
SSD is just good to use and hear,though it does bug the crap out of me that SONAR is left out of the "Multi Out's" mapping instructions,I'll try what another poster suggested earlier Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search