The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MBP cool enough to keep fans from going mad
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Guru

MBP cool enough to keep fans from going mad

hi, can anyone tell me ...

1) how to keep an Oct 2013 rMBP 2.3 ghz. 16GB ram, 512 SSD cool enough so the fans do not go crazy ???

2) how are you guys doing it ???

3) how do you keep the bottom cool enough ???

4) not looking to run in clam shell mode unless you think that works better in cooling using external monitor ???

thx john
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Guru

i just picked up a refurb Macbook Air so this thread can go away .. unless it is not up to speed, then I ail be back to ask advise on MBP ..
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Something like this:

Amazon.com: Cooler Master NotePal ErgoStand - Height Adjustable Laptop Cooling Stand: Electronics

Doubles as a USB powered hub where iLok and eLicenser dongles are perfectly protected.
Old 8th August 2014
Gear Guru

thank you
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Guru

returned the MBA today for a NEW MBP 15" … the air was just not cutting it … screen is so much nicer and the size matters for me … and the power … MBA for general stuff is cool but i am a gearslut .. need more power
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Cooling pad, or try coolbook, which will basically throttle your processor, which might not be desirable.
Old 21st August 2014
Gear Maniac

make sure and clean the fans out every now and then too
Old 21st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
make sure and clean the fans out every now and then too
That's nearly impossible on macs. Best you can do is hold a vacuum on a breather vent. Good luck opening a Mac without voiding every warranty ever.
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post
That's nearly impossible on macs. Best you can do is hold a vacuum on a breather vent. Good luck opening a Mac without voiding every warranty ever.
Mine was out of warranty anyways.

Gettng in their and cleaning out the considerable amount of junk inside was like upgrading to a new machine
Old 22nd August 2014
Gear Guru

the brand new has some screws on the bottom .. if i need to i will crack that puupy open when the time comes … HAHA
Old 22nd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
Mine was out of warranty anyways.

Gettng in their and cleaning out the considerable amount of junk inside was like upgrading to a new machine
And, of course, this happens in desktops, too, though there's usually considerably more space and airflow in the big form factor.

My old desktop was nearly silent except about ten minutes into rendering video but every once in a while the fan would kick into a higher speed when there wasn't much of a CPU load and every time it was because the fan vents had become clogged. Like you say, cleaning the vents and it was like, well, it was purifying and cleansing.
Old 24th August 2014
Lives for gear
Is it even possible to run any MacBook Pro (or for that matter, ANY laptop) in the last 10 years close to 80% CPU without noisy fans kicking in? So far in my experience that's never the case. For the consumer, this isn't significant as in most cases you're likely to be playing a game when this happens and it'll go mostly unnoticed. Other "heavy" consumer uses don't come close to running a DAW with lots of VIs and processing.

Sadly, we often get suckered in by the "Pro" moniker, like we do with pricing like $9999.99. Other than the look, the form factor, and the price, there's nothing really "Pro" about a MacBook Pro. There's nothing really special about the I/O including the sound chip that would qualify it as Pro, and the rest is pretty much standard computer components.

I like and work with OS X on a MBP daily but 90% of my audio work is done on.desktop PC. If you need or want to stay in OS X and don't want to suffer noisy fans, then get a Mac Pro and stick it in a closet, a silent enclosure, or another room. The problem with a laptop is that it's just nor as convenient to do that and there's not a lot you can do to silence it without compromising its designed cooling requirements.

However, I do believe laptops have their place and uses. They're super handy on the road or on location although even there you don't want to be recording the sound of the morning mist off a lake... and your laptop! Which is why most location recording is done with silent recorders.

I was recently reading that the next generation of laptops coming out sometime in 2015 are going to be running on even lower power chips than the current crop, requiring not only lower power but also less cooling. This is a known problem and surely some day we'll have powerful laptops as quiet as an iPad... but for now, the perfectly quiet laptop is still a dream.
Old 24th August 2014
Quote:
Other "heavy" consumer uses don't come close to running a DAW with lots of VIs and processing.
One other I can think of: video editing and rendering.
Old 25th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbotkiller View Post
This is factually untrue. Opening a Mac does not void any warranty at all and is easy as a screwdriver. I have no trouble at all cleaning my MBP fans that way.

For those interested, I recommend Temperature Gauge Pro. I use it in conjunction with the aforementioned Cooler Master Ergo Stand with great success, and developer is super responsive. One possible scenario is to up the default fan speed a bit - where it's still silent - when using demanding apps, so as to have a cooler computer which will not engage fans full speed as often. You can also set at which temp the fans kick in, from which sensor etc. Plenty of ways to design something that will work for you, and the app keeps getting better.
Old 25th August 2014
Gear Guru

Temp gauge pro. I will check that out. Sounds like it has more function than SMC fan control.
Old 25th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
Temp gauge pro. I will check that out. Sounds like it has more function than SMC fan control.
The dev is awesome and has already implemented some ideas that caters to heavy users. I have no doubt that he will continue to do so if this sells enough! I really hope he gets to implement app-based automated rules, presets etc. but IMO the app is already the best as it is
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search