The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Macbook Pro and Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 not working Audio Interfaces
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

Exclamation Macbook Pro and Focusrite Saffire Pro 14 not working

Hey Guys

In a nutshell, everything was working fine yesterday, haven't done any updates or even turned the computer off, yet when I plugged in my interface (Focusrite Saffire Pro 14) using a firewire cable into the firewire port my Macbook Pro Mid 2010, the 'power' and 'LKD' light came on my interface, but not the firewire light. I tried opening saffire mix control and it didn't recognise the interface being plugged in, as well as system preferences on the mac not recognising the interface as being a choice for audio output.

Slightly confused... I've tried turning the computer on and off, I've used 3 different firewire cables and all say the same thing. What is this an error of most likely? The interface itself or the firewire port on the Macbook? I wouldn't have thought the firewire port as surely the interface wouldn't have powered on if that was faulty? (There was no power supply for the interface other than through the firewire cable)

If it is the firewire port, anyone have an idea of roughly the cost of replacing this?

Thanks
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Addict

I dont know what the problem is, but i just wanted to give you a heads up on that firewire ports are not hot pluggable like USB, plugging firewirecables in and out while the equipment is on is said to be a possible cause to failure.
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonknight View Post
I dont know what the problem is, but i just wanted to give you a heads up on that firewire ports are not hot pluggable like USB, plugging firewirecables in and out while the equipment is on is said to be a possible cause to failure.
Ah I see, as in a failure to the interface of the mac firewire port?
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

First under the Apple menu/About This Mac/ More Info/ System Report/

Check to see if the Focusrite shows up on the firewire bus.

If you have another firewire device check to see if it shows up.

Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

try using the power adapter that comes with the Saffire
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redroom View Post
try using the power adapter that comes with the Saffire
Since kirstymarielord posted that there wasnt any powersupply included i thought it was was one of those that didnt have a powersupply, but the pro 14 comes with an external power supply according to the manual.
Especially laptops with their smaller firewire connectors are usually not able to realiably supply external firewire interfaces with power, so definately use the external power supply, it may certainly solve the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstymarielord View Post
Ah I see, as in a failure to the interface of the mac firewire port?
I think either one or both may possibly be damaged, so be careful.
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoubleyou View Post
First under the Apple menu/About This Mac/ More Info/ System Report/

Check to see if the Focusrite shows up on the firewire bus.

If you have another firewire device check to see if it shows up.

I've tried this and the focusrite doesn't show up. I unfortunately don't have another firewire device to try.

Mainly I'm just curious now as to how much it costs to replace the firewire port on this macbook? Because it's going to be a pretty hard hit if I have to buy a whole new logic board.

The thing that makes me think that the firewire port works on the laptop is because it's powering the focusrite on? Is this wrong for me to assume?
Old 7th August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonknight View Post
Since kirstymarielord posted that there wasnt any powersupply included i thought it was was one of those that didnt have a powersupply, but the pro 14 comes with an external power supply according to the manual.
Especially laptops with their smaller firewire connectors are usually not able to realiably supply external firewire interfaces with power, so definately use the external power supply, it may certainly solve the problem.

I think either one or both may possibly be damaged, so be careful.
Unfortunately I don't have the supply at the moment, I've been using it without the supply for years and have never needed it...but this interface is still being powered on when plugged into the macbook firewire port, it's just that the firewire light itself isn't turning on and therefore the mac isn't recognising the device.

Mainly I'm just curious now as to how much it costs to replace the firewire port on this macbook? Because it's going to be a pretty hard hit if I have to buy a whole new logic board.

The thing that makes me think that the firewire port works on the laptop is because it's powering the focusrite on? Is this wrong for me to assume?
Old 7th August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstymarielord View Post
Unfortunately I don't have the supply at the moment, I've been using it without the supply for years and have never needed it...but this interface is still being powered on when plugged into the macbook firewire port, it's just that the firewire light itself isn't turning on and therefore the mac isn't recognising the device.

Have you been using it for years with this macbook that you are using it with now ?

It isnt uncommon that there might be problems powering firewire interfaces via firewire, especially on a laptop, that why they include the powersupply in the first case.

I have no idea what it would cost if the firewire port is broken, but i really think you should somehow test the firewire port on the computer and the pro 14 firewire separately, if you can get hold of another computer or interface you may be able to determine what the problem really is.
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

If you have a Mac with thunderbolt you can use the TB to FW adapter.

But a dead FW port would require a new motherboard, may be cheaper to a new machine if you don't have Apple Care.

Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search