The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves Soundgrid Studio System Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Nut

Hardware Waves Soundgrid Studio System

Hey All,

Waves has released Soundgrid Studio System and I'm very excited about it... please check the links and feel free to ask any question... I'm testing the DLS for a year so I'll try to share my experiences as you want and ask any question... I'll be online ...

Thanks

Ümit

SoundGrid Studio System | Waves

Compatible with most native DAWs
Bridges Pro Tools HD and HDX DSP with the SoundGrid DSP server in order to process plugins in low latency while recording
Compatible with Waves and third-party plugins
Plugin chains used for low-latency monitoring are instantly available for mixing as well
Up to 8 plugins per rackFully automatable
Presets for plugin chains can be saved to and loaded from any DAW
Quick access to plugin parameters within your chain
Intuitive MIDI control over all plugins
Avid Control Surface support
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

It appears they have a native version called Studio Rack which basically hosts Waves plugins like a rack of hardware. It's free to those with at least one product current with WUP.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Addict

I just got Mercury but I'm wondering how or why would this be of more use than saving an effects chain in my DAW of choice?

(ok I get it there's one edge I can think of: you could load these chains in any daw the same way. might be useful for daw hoppers)
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear
Yes-

Please detail the roundtrip analog to analog monitoring latency with 4 Waves Plugins through one of the Soundgrid I/O boxes and PT11.

Mic --> SG I/O --> 4 plugins --> SG i/O --> Headphones (DAW = PT11 Native with buffer set to 512)
AT:
44.1kHz and 96kHz
Please include any buffer settings from either ProTools or the Waves SG system.

Also is there any latency difference between different SG I/O boxes (DLS and IOS for instance)

Lastly - if one wants to use a NON-SG plugin for monitoring - forcing one to go THROUGH PT and not straight through the LowLatency waves path - what would be the total latency for --

Mic --> SG I/O --> 1 PT11 AAX Plugin --> SG i/O --> Headphones (DAW = PT11 Native with buffer set to either 44.1/32 or 96/64)
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
It appears they have a native version called Studio Rack which basically hosts Waves plugins like a rack of hardware. It's free to those with at least one product current with WUP.

AND it runs 3rd party plugs. One up on Slate's VMR? Or two, since VMR is not ready yet...
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Maniac

where is the studio rack in the w9 installer? cheers
Old 23rd July 2014
Lives for gear

just get Plogue Bidule. done.
Old 23rd July 2014
Gear Nut

Some pictures

I am uploading some pictures...and tomorrow I'll give some more details...

Thanks

Ümit

Waves Soundgrid Studio System-capture-d-ecran-2014-07-23-22.21.19.jpg

Waves Soundgrid Studio System-capture-d-ecran-2014-07-23-22.21.19-2-.jpg
Old 23rd July 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelironsteel View Post
just get Plogue Bidule. done.
That would be nice. However, IME, Bidule when hosting VSTs on a Mac is a gigantic CPU hog.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

Hi,

You must have Waveshell 9.3 and 9.7 on the same folder( WAVESHELL FOLDER)
Please trash all Waves caches and prefs. Open WLC and click on "refresh" open your DAW... it must work.

Good luck

Ümit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
Yes - does anyone have the free Studio Rack working?? With HD Native I have nothing though I 9.3 via 9R19 and Soundgrid Studiorack via the Soundgrid Studio 9R1 installer... comes up as Waveshell 9.7...
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

Use your Waves Uninstaller...
you can find it App/Waves/Utilities/ Waves Uninstaller

Then; Support Tools-> and Remove Waves Prefs/Cashes
and Open WLC and login then click on "refresh" open your DAW... I hope it'll help you

Cheers

Ümit

UninstallerWaves Soundgrid Studio System-capture-d-ecran-2014-07-24-02.45.52.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post
I don't do these types of things often...
Which things exactly do I need to trash?
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'd like to give this a shot, since it's free, if it improves my workflow, why not?

Anyway, all my plugins say I have the latest version. Do I still need to downloaded the latest installer?
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by meric View Post
Use your Waves Uninstaller...
you can find it App/Waves/Utilities/ Waves Uninstaller

Then; Support Tools-> and Remove Waves Prefs/Cashes
and Open WLC and login then click on "refresh" open your DAW... I hope it'll help you

Cheers

Ümit

UninstallerAttachment 409132
Have tried this now. And frustrated to say I also cannot seem to get this to work. SoundRack Bundle shows up in my Waves folder but nowhere in PT...
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Same here, however, it is working in LogicProX
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear
Yup, same here. But it works in Logic, just not in ProTools
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

It's free to those with at least one product current with WUP.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Nut

Hey guys,

They'll fix this issue today.

Cheers

Ümit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Yup, same here. But it works in Logic, just not in ProTools
Old 24th July 2014
Lives for gear

I'm having issues with the licence... I've installed it, and it is appearing in my plug-in lists. I also licenced it using WLC the same as all other waves plugs, but for some reason when I try to launch the plug-in it says it cannot locate the licence for it. Very odd. This is in both Ableton 9 and Cubase 7.5.

I had a go at clearing the pref cache, but I'm on Windows so the instructions don't work for me.

I've sent a message to tech support, hopefully they'll come back with something soon.
Old 24th July 2014
Here for the gear

Waves have now posted a new installer and all seems to work now for me. Just redownload and install.
Old 24th July 2014
Gear Addict

too rich for my blood, lol
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Head
An interesting and innovative product... but I think it will live and die on 3rd party support. I hope waves is doing everything they can to court as many developers as possible... perhaps even subsidizing development.

fabfilter, 2c audio, native instruments!... audioease... get these guys on board and people will buy your servers. I don't need a DSP server to run the SSL channel plugin.

or better yet develop a shell that allows any AU or VST plugin to run on an SG server. Even if latency was higher, as long as delay comp fixed it, I would still be interested as I think it would be more elegant than VEP based on what I've seen.

also as a suggestion let us define custom names for the studio rack plugin so that we can see at a glance what is contained in a particular insert slot in our DAW. just seeing "StudioRack" everywhere in your DAW's mixer could be a bit of a drag.

I like the idea of latency free monitoring during record through FX independent of buffer size... this feature was brought up in another thread... don't know why they aren't pushing that more.

anyway, still keeping a solid eye on this product- I'm in the market for both IO and more power so I am interested but not quite sold yet... and I have WUP'd Mercury Soundgrid (was originally TDM).
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Cubase has had this for 10 years. VST link it's called

But why would anyone need this these days with the speed of modern PCs?? A pc sold at walmart can handle 100s if not 1000s of plugins right now on a single OS. How many plugins does the average working studio use on a project? Even VI, is not going to require this much processing for typical music projects.

I just don't think it's practical to invest in this. It's cool to be able to use multiple plugin technologies and stuff but who would need different plugin platforms in practice? I could only imagine people working on Feature films would need something this advanced but a large commercial facility that does music production would never need this. It seems like this is 10 years too late. It's a neat toy but not practical to invest in this. Cubase already does it for free all you need to do is buy another pc and you can use this technology for free. You can buy 4 core pcs now for $100, you can buy a few of them and link em up for nothing, not to mention Cubase is already arguably the best VI and midi app there is.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainrule View Post
Cubase has had this for 10 years. VST link it's called

But why would anyone need this these days with the speed of modern PCs?? A pc you buy at walmart can handle 100s if 1000s of plugins right now on a single OS.
Plus how many plugins does the average working studio use? Even VI, is not going to require this much processing for typical music projects.

I just don't think it's practical to invest in this. It's cool to be able to use multiple plugin technologies and stuff but who uses that many different plugins? I could only imagine people working on Feature films would need something this advanced but a large commercial facility that does music production would never need this. It seems like this is 10 years too late. It's a neat toy but not practical to invest in this. Cubase already does it for free all you need to do is buy another pc and you can use this technology. You scan buy 4 core pcs now for $100, you can buy a few of them and link em up for nothing, not to mention Cubase is already arguably the best VI and midi app there is.
from what I understand all VST Link does is provide a syncing protocol and MIDI throughput. So you can link timelines between systems and send MIDI back and forth... audio must be sent via regular audio channels as per usual. So pretty different actually.

yes you are right though if I were doing smaller scale productions something like this would be overkill.

From what I can tell this is the only DSP solution beyond HDX that offers the ability to more or less insert plugins into the DAW's mixer (using studio rack) without incurring much additional latency... as UAD adds another round of buffering I believe. but I could be wrong...
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear
The waves box is in many ways similar to apollo

LowLatency by using its own DSP AND its own mixer app, offload main DAW with processing plugins on its DSP.

So for low latency monitoring while recording - you need to run your DAW as well as THEIR mixer (where the plug ins go!) and configure it to monitor the DAW and the record enabled channels - just like apollo Console except substitute WAVES plugs for UAD plugs, Just like Zen Studio Console Substitute WAVES plugs for Antelope plugs, just like Metric HAlo (MIO) Substitute Waves plugs for Metric Halo plugs, just like the new MOTU TB box substitute WAVES plugs for MOTU plugs... you get the idea :-)

Now - if they get real third party support - things will get much more interesting. And the whole Ethernet connectivity and DSP farm scaling - also very much a great idea! But still takes a seperate mixer and program to make a low latency monitor mix! PT HDX is still the one and only King that lets you do all this in 1 program with DSP assisted low latency monitoring...

Finally - why has no company made one of these darned boxes that will just run AU??? Then everyones plugins would run on it!
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

I agree with above poster ... VEP 5 an external computer.
You can run a ton of plugins on an external computer networked with VEP 5.
No need for a monitor and keyboard even - just use screen sharing.
Why would one want/need a Waves DSP box?
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Got the StudioRack thing working in PT11 tonight with the new installer Waves released today.

Going to put it though it's paces in an hour or so by creating a vocal chain.

Don't have a comment on all the DSP stuff. Broke and beyond what I want/need. The StudioRack thing using Native processing thing for free is pretty cool, though.
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

Vep5 and a dedicated box brings routing madness to any rig
Old 25th July 2014
Lives for gear

VEP 5 routing is extremely simple simple compared to Digigrid - plus you loose physical I/O for plugins.
Digigrid runs Waves Plugs VEP runs anything VST or AU. Plus you can run older 32 bit plugs on VEP5
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Digigrid runs Waves Plugs
DigiGrid will run also with third party plug-ins...

cheers

Ümit
Old 25th July 2014
Motown legend

While Plug in Alliance is the only announced third party, soundgrid's market share in live sound should attract a great many others.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search