The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves Soundgrid Studio System Audio Interfaces
Old 28th August 2014
Could someone clarify what I would need and how it would be configured to fit with my system in order to offload the processing of my plugins to a Soundgrid system. I am having trouble picturing the set up.

It looks like I could get 20 channels of inputs if I got a Digigrid IOS, and a Digigrid IOX.

1. Is this true?
2. What if I wanted more ins and outs, like 24 or 32?
3. What if I wanted to use Chandler EMI 500 series preamps? How would I integrate them into the system?
4. Will I need to have an external clock to sync the additional inputs of the IOX?

I record live bands, do tons of overdub sessions, and even more mixing. Surprisingly enough the DAW that I use is Ableton Live 9 for recording, mixing, and post production for film.

A lot of the band sessions end up with 180+ tracks, and I am definitely beginning to run into CPU load issues as I start stacking up plugins, so having a way to offload this processing to another machine would really make my life easier.

I appreciate any insight into how I would put a system together to fit my needs.
Old 28th August 2014
Motown legend

It looks like all you'd need is a DSP server.
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
It looks like all you'd need is a DSP server.
not sure i understand. doesn't the IOS have a server in it? are you suggesting he get an additional server or are you saying it could be any of the waves servers, not necessarily the IOS?
Old 20th September 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
Thirdly, so far I get the feeling this DigiGrid stuff wants to be a solution to a non-existent problem: namely to provide more processing power for CPU weak DAW systems. There are way cheaper fixes for this than to invest into a rather complex DigiGrid system.
What are the cheaper ways to provide more processing power to CPU weak DAW systems?
Old 20th September 2014
Motown legend

The cheapest is probably a new $500 to $1000 computer. They've come a long way the past couple years.
Old 20th September 2014
Lives for gear
Any new reviews from actual users - i.e. people who bought one?
Old 20th September 2014
I would like to see an actual system set up.
Old 22nd September 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesura View Post
Could someone clarify what I would need and how it would be configured to fit with my system in order to offload the processing of my plugins to a Soundgrid system. I am having trouble picturing the set up.

It looks like I could get 20 channels of inputs if I got a Digigrid IOS, and a Digigrid IOX.

1. Is this true?
2. What if I wanted more ins and outs, like 24 or 32?
3. What if I wanted to use Chandler EMI 500 series preamps? How would I integrate them into the system?
4. Will I need to have an external clock to sync the additional inputs of the IOX?

I record live bands, do tons of overdub sessions, and even more mixing. Surprisingly enough the DAW that I use is Ableton Live 9 for recording, mixing, and post production for film.

A lot of the band sessions end up with 180+ tracks, and I am definitely beginning to run into CPU load issues as I start stacking up plugins, so having a way to offload this processing to another machine would really make my life easier.

You would need an ethernet port on your computer to go into the sound grid gear. The Digigrid is an interface and dsp solution much like an Avid hd interface. The soundgrid stuff is just the dsp. Because the ethernet port is scalable you could easily expand your system for far less in the future if you needed more I/O. The Soundgrid stuff is cool! and I'm glad to see a worth while option to the never ending money hole that Protools HD is. That being said I would suggest to anyone that is thinking about jumping in to this to look at merging techs line of AVB compliant interfaces. Pyramix is in many ways superior to Protools and is the stuff of choice in many of the symphony halls around the world. More 3d realistic soundstage, 8 mic pre option cards, digital, DSUB…….. ETC. You could have an external master clock setup but you don't have to, you could sink everything over the avb network, done. This is why I am really excited about the Motu line that just came out, AVB compliance! If you need a good interface to get into this avb game that is looking like the best way to go right now if you don't want to drop 5k. It would be awesome if motu or any company would just put out some raw dsp muscle without any bull**** proprietary plug-in platform. I believe Merging Tech. does this with vst but don't quote me on that. It is my firm belief that this is entirely possible but no companies are doing it simply for the fact that they can't keep bending you over year after year once they give you a product like that. UAD, Waves and avid are incredibly over priced for what your actually getting. I have used UAD powered plugs and they sound great! but guess what, T-racks stuff sounds better but T-racks stuff will eat the crap out of your cpu faster then you can call the police on avid for rapping you.

My suggestion is to wait and see how the motu line is received before getting into bed with waves. They did a 180 on everyone when they dropped axx support and so did avid when they dumped tdm. It's almost like they were having sex behind our backs…mmmm? And when you take a step back its almost like waves is trying to resell everybody the tdm line with a different name. lol

I appreciate any insight into how I would put a system together to fit my needs.
Old 23rd September 2014
Quote:
My suggestion is to wait and see how the motu line is received before getting into bed with waves. They did a 180 on everyone when they dropped axx support and so did avid when they dumped tdm. It's almost like they were having sex behind our backs…mmmm? And when you take a step back its almost like waves is trying to resell everybody the tdm line with a different name. lol
I think I'm already pretty in bed with Waves as my workflow revolves pretty heavily around their plugins, and a few from iZotope. I made a decision when putting together my latest studio to get very good at using as small a number of plugins as possible, and only buy ones that make my workflow considerably more efficient. So far my Waves collection has served me well, and really opened up the sound of my mixes.

I would prefer to not go down the road of trying every version of every tool that comes out by every company, but find one company that does a reliably good job at building the tools that I need. So far between iZotope and waves, plus the plugins native to my DAW I feel like I have a very fine set of surgical tools. So that being said, with myself already being fairly deeply committed to Waves, it almost seems like a logical progression to go with their Digigrid interfaces, and Soundgrid DSP processing.

It would be really good to see a system set up before I make the final plunge. I hate being an early adopter of first gen tech.
Old 14th October 2014
Gear Addict

I just talked to Michael PA ("Just one cable") this weekend and feel as if I finally have a solid grip on this digigrid thing. First-off, in my opinion, Waves did a ass backward job of rolling this out. This system is not really about DSP, which it does offer...sort of...in a way...but not like you think. Digigrid is going up against Focusrite's Rednet, plain and simple. AoE is a standard being rapidly adopted, and Waves has opted to go in a different direction than Rednet. Rather then requiring Dante capability and locking people into that platform, Waves and Digigrid have gone more open. It equals the capability of Rednet, and can integrate with other AoE systems like MOTU's. On top of that, if you want to host some plugins on a server, it offers that as well. I got the really strong feeling that with Digigrid, Waves doesn't give a rat's rear end if you use Waves plugins or not. They seem to be really pushing hard for third party adoption with this thing, and from what I gather, there are some companies who really want to get into the Sound Grid's live market. While for home studios, I don't see the necessity for this any more than I see Rednet as vital. But, for a medium to large sized commercial facility, this is a no brainer.

AD
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post
I just talked to Michael PA ("Just one cable") this weekend and feel as if I finally have a solid grip on this digigrid thing. First-off, in my opinion, Waves did a ass backward job of rolling this out. This system is not really about DSP, which it does offer...sort of...in a way...but not like you think. Digigrid is going up against Focusrite's Rednet, plain and simple. AoE is a standard being rapidly adopted, and Waves has opted to go in a different direction than Rednet. Rather then requiring Dante capability and locking people into that platform, Waves and Digigrid have gone more open. It equals the capability of Rednet, and can integrate with other AoE systems like MOTU's. On top of that, if you want to host some plugins on a server, it offers that as well. I got the really strong feeling that with Digigrid, Waves doesn't give a rat's rear end if you use Waves plugins or not. They seem to be really pushing hard for third party adoption with this thing, and from what I gather, there are some companies who really want to get into the Sound Grid's live market. While for home studios, I don't see the necessity for this any more than I see Rednet as vital. But, for a medium to large sized commercial facility, this is a no brainer.

AD
it looks like waves is still focusing on the dsp side of their marketing in this video i saw they rolled out a couple days ago Record with Hundreds of Plugins Using SoundGrid Studio | Videos | Waves

for me this is main reason i'm looking at digigrid, in particular the IOS box. i don't fully get the benefits of the ethernet/networking side of it. any chance you can explain this further? i run a professional home studio so am trying to figure out if this is something i'll have much use for past the dsp benefits (which for me are good enough att the moment).
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adogg4629 View Post

AD
Interesting perspective. It might reflect Michael's market and interest in the product more than Wave's intent with the products. I think Waves is probably interested in all aspects of Sound Grid .

I wouldn't knock the DSP capabilities of SG. Currently it isn't interesting to me until more 3rd party developers adopt the platform and I would upgrade my DAW first but the extra DSP would certainly be welcome.

Btw, I think it would benefit everyone if AoE replaced most if not all existing digital audio interconnect solutions.

Alistair
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew AE View Post
it looks like waves is still focusing on the dsp side of their marketing in this video i saw they rolled out a couple days ago Record with Hundreds of Plugins Using SoundGrid Studio | Videos | Waves

for me this is main reason i'm looking at digigrid, in particular the IOS box. i don't fully get the benefits of the ethernet/networking side of it. any chance you can explain this further? i run a professional home studio so am trying to figure out if this is something i'll have much use for past the dsp benefits (which for me are good enough att the moment).
I'm not sure how big your setup is, but mine is too small for the IOS box. I'm still strictly UAD for dsp. Had I a larger space though, I would seriously look at using AoE over CAT5 rather than long analogue runs. A lot more cost effective.

AD
Old 15th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Interesting perspective. It might reflect Michael's market and interest in the product more than Wave's intent with the products. I think Waves is probably interested in all aspects of Sound Grid .

I wouldn't knock the DSP capabilities of SG. Currently it isn't interesting to me until more 3rd party developers adopt the platform and I would upgrade my DAW first but the extra DSP would certainly be welcome.

Btw, I think it would benefit everyone if AoE replaced most if not all existing digital audio interconnect solutions.

Alistair
agreed.
Old 16th October 2014
I am right at the point in my studio growth that I wanted to expand the number of inputs, and the DSP processing would be a great additional benefit. I am considering the IOS, and one or two IOX. The money saved on not having to buy 24 channel Mogami cable and just running ethernet practically pays for one of the units.
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
I am right at the point in my studio growth that I wanted to expand the number of inputs, and the DSP processing would be a great additional benefit. I am considering the IOS, and one or two IOX. The money saved on not having to buy 24 channel Mogami cable and just running ethernet practically pays for one of the units.
Agreed. I bet you could even have the IOX in your live room, ethernet from there to the router, have an IOC in your studio for D/A into whatever "colored" mic pres you have, route them back into the network via the same IOC and send them to either your IOS server or DLS/DLI combo. All routing done with a cat 5. Not sure if this would double the .8 millisecond delay to 1.6 though. It probably would, but you can't get something for nothing.

AD
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew AE View Post

Based on the video link, if you track a live band with let's say 16 inputs: 16 Studio Racks set to "input" which would feed the eMotion mixer which feeds the headphones.The feed from the Studio Racks to the Daw channel would be muted (the DAW would still record the tacks). That means the control room mix would have to be done in the eMotion mixer. When the recorded take is completed, Studio Racks would feed the Daw channels which would typically be summed to a stereo out which feeds the eMotion mixer.This would require a separate control room mix done from the DAW to send the playback to the headphones. This 2 mixer workflow is exactly what I hate about these setups. Seems fine for an overdub scenario where you don't have to look at the second mixer; but for full band tracking and punch-ins, it's less than ideal.
Someone please correct me.
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantz View Post
Based on the video link, if you track a live band with let's say 16 inputs: 16 Studio Racks set to "input" which would feed the eMotion mixer which feeds the headphones.The feed from the Studio Racks to the Daw channel would be muted (the DAW would still record the tacks). That means the control room mix would have to be done in the eMotion mixer. When the recorded take is completed, Studio Racks would feed the Daw channels which would typically be summed to a stereo out which feeds the eMotion mixer.This would require a separate control room mix done from the DAW to send the playback to the headphones. This 2 mixer workflow is exactly what I hate about these setups. Seems fine for an overdub scenario where you don't have to look at the second mixer; but for full band tracking and punch-ins, it's less than ideal.
Someone please correct me.
Good catch. Can somebody track this down?

AD
Old 10th February 2015
Anyone heard any more about the IOX system? They showed the IOX and IOC boxes at NAMM, but they still have not shipped to retailers. Why the delay? What is up with the Digigrid system?
Old 10th February 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Anyone heard any more about the IOX system? They showed the IOX and IOC boxes at NAMM, but they still have not shipped to retailers. Why the delay? What is up with the Digigrid system?
Sorry for the double post but you bumped two threads with pretty much the same question...

If you look at this page DiGiGrid Interfaces | Hardware | Waves you can see that the IOX and IOC are not yet released. Like many companies the products were shown at NAMM (and before) but that does not mean they can be bought yet. AFAIK - the IOX in particular is very close.

WRT the rest of the SoundGrid System - DLS, DLI, IOS, MGO, MGB and several server models are all fully released and in stock at retailers.

"Whats up with the Digigrid system?" you ask...
SoundGrid system is working just fine over here! DSP power for my Native ProTools. Does exactly what its supposed to. Does that answer you??
Old 14th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProPower View Post

"Whats up with the Digigrid system?" you ask...
SoundGrid system is working just fine over here! DSP power for my Native ProTools. Does exactly what its supposed to. Does that answer you??
Hi.

I have a Hd native system.

Do I just need to purchase one of the soundgrid servers to make this DSP system work? or are the DLS and DLI required also.

Thanks.

Edit: Upon more research. It seems like the DLS is the box I need. The DLI box is used if you want to buy one of the mega servers like the Extreme.

Last edited by Ienjoyaudio; 14th February 2015 at 08:37 AM..
Old 15th February 2015
Lives for gear

They are pretty expensive and unproven. I think for me to get into a DLS system, they need to have some big sales.
Old 20th February 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ienjoyaudio View Post
They are pretty expensive and unproven. I think for me to get into a DLS system, they need to have some big sales.
I really think this system is optimized for large multi room installs. For the single room guys I agree with your wait and see what they offer in revision 2 approach.

AD
Old 6th March 2015
I have an IOS on the way, and installed the eMotion mixer today with the studio rack plugin. I was wondering if there was any documentation on setting up the emotion mixer to handle multiple cue mixes, and having it working with Logic Pro X?

Thanks.
Old 16th March 2015
Lives for gear

Is anyone using a DLS with Pro Tools HD yet?

I don't want to be the guinni pig.
Old 17th March 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
I can at least speak to using a DLS with AVID HD Native hardware (no HDX here).

I am using PT11.2.1HD + AVID 16X16 i/o + DLS and DLI. Been in service 3 months pretty much working as advertised. Although I own an AVID HD Native Thunderbolt box also - I never need more than 16 real i/o so I have been running this all using the SoundGrid OSX driver (leaving my thunderbolt box sitting on the shelf). I like keeping the server out of my recording and mixing rooms (hence the DLS+DLI) so another configuration that works well is an SGS1 server plus DLI. Close to the same cost...
Old 30th August 2015
Gear Nut

It's a little late reply but Yes it works PT HD/HDX/HDN with DLS...

Quote:

I don't want to be the guinni pig.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search