The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 5th January 2017
Hello everyone. I own and love 16a and 1248.
Why not MCU control over mixer? I imagine a new page where you put only the channels you want to see in your MCU controller. Would be a dream come true.
Old 5th January 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Hello everyone. I own and love 16a and 1248.
Why not MCU control over mixer? I imagine a new page where you put only the channels you want to see in your MCU controller. Would be a dream come true.
+1 Would love to be able to control the Motu Mixer via my MCU. Very frustrating not being able to!
Old 6th January 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
I have had the same issue.
I have tried the new driver on a Windows 7 Dell Vostro Laptop, which I then upgraded to W10, a 2013 MBP with W10, and a 2012 Mac Mini with W10 and it hasn't worked on any of them. I also tried to use Thunderbolt with W10 on Bootcamp and the system wouldn't even boot.

It works perfectly under OSX, but just not on Windows.
The 1.6 driver just don't recognize my soundcard. I went back to the last one.

Quote:
For the record with windows 10 my Motu 1248 and 24ao work great (aside from with Bitwig where I get dropouts which I assume is related to bitwig since reaper works great) ! so maybe you can upgrade to 10 if your hardware supports it?
I'm gonna try windows 10, with 7 it just doesn't work.

Quote:
Understandibly. However, it could be that the Antivirus interferes with the MOTU contrary to the other interfaces, as it is arbitrary towards different applications and processes.
I tried to disable the antivirus, it changes nothing.

I'm lost. I think I have to sell the 1248 or to buy a mac...
Old 6th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pifpaf View Post
The 1.6 driver just don't recognize my soundcard. I went back to the last one.

I'm gonna try windows 10, with 7 it just doesn't work.

I tried to disable the antivirus, it changes nothing.

I'm lost. I think I have to sell the 1248 or to buy a mac...
Did you contact MOTU? They were very helpful when I had issues and got me up and running.
Old 6th January 2017
Here for the gear

Yes, I'm in contact with them but right now they couldn't figure out what was the issue.
Old 7th January 2017
Here for the gear

Hello everybody,

I think I found the issue, thanks to the MOTU and GS people. I upgraded to windows 10 and now everything is working perfectly.

So the problem was something with windows 7 management of USB 3, the MOTU being USB 2.

Thanks to all the people that help me.
Old 9th January 2017
Lives for gear
I know the MOTU guys / gals were on this board at some point so I'll ask here, I've noticed the 1248 is now useable as an Audio Interface via ethernet on MAC (which may I say is mighty cool).. Is this happening for Windows at some point?
Old 14th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Polizzi View Post
T
"Low power detected" or somesuch, spontaneously re-booting, in the middle of sessions. Like multiple times, making me look like a total Goof.

Out-of-nowhere loosing connection with the converter - and then the discover app doesn't see the 16A anymore, til I reboot it: which takes for-EVER, with Clients standing there with their 'phones on, waiting to count into their next take..
Well, there it is. First time I've seen it in 2.5 years of use. Discovery app has lost the AVB network in the middle of a playback. I still have sound coming through, but the interfaces have become inaccessible. Quitting and restarting the Discovery app isn't working. This after both interfaces and the iMac requiring multiple restarts to get everything online. Hard restart of the 16A has brought it back.

I still get the 'low power - rebooting' warning at every startup....and power ain't low.

This latest set of updates have been an unmitigated disaster on my system, AND I've rolled it back to the previous version with no change in behavior, full uninstall and reinstall of the versions I was running previously, both firmware and Discovery driver. Those versions ran flawlessly on their initial install, which was at least 8 months looking at the time line.
Old 14th January 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAMD View Post
I know the MOTU guys / gals were on this board at some point so I'll ask here, I've noticed the 1248 is now useable as an Audio Interface via ethernet on MAC (which may I say is mighty cool).. Is this happening for Windows at some point?
I don't know of any Windows System or motherboard that comes with NICs that support AVB. You can add a PCIe AVB card to get similar functionality with MAC computers.

I wish Intel enabled AVB on the latest NICs being used with Skylake.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post

This latest set of updates have been an unmitigated disaster on my system, AND I've rolled it back to the previous version with no change in behavior, full uninstall and reinstall of the versions I was running previously, both firmware and Discovery driver. Those versions ran flawlessly on their initial install, which was at least 8 months looking at the time line.
ugh! i haven't had the low power issue, but i recently bought the new 8A to expand my 16A. My 16A has been rock solid. until... Reluctantly, i updated the 16A and driver to match the 8A. Besides my findings that the 2 units aren't sample accurate to each other (Grrrr!!...that's elsewhere in this thread), i've now been having a hard time getting the app to connect (safari can't find device), and sometimes it disconnects. Not a happy camper.
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
ugh! i haven't had the low power issue, but i recently bought the new 8A to expand my 16A. My 16A has been rock solid. until... Reluctantly, i updated the 16A and driver to match the 8A. Besides my findings that the 2 units aren't sample accurate to each other (Grrrr!!...that's elsewhere in this thread), i've now been having a hard time getting the app to connect (safari can't find device), and sometimes it disconnects. Not a happy camper.
At least we're not alone? Maybe they'll root something out soon. Something is definitely rotten.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
At least we're not alone? Maybe they'll root something out soon. Something is definitely rotten.
Rotten for sure. thinking about returning the 8A. connected via AVB, the 8A is annoyingly 23 samples off from the 16A in loopbacks. since the DAW sees the two units as one device, creating offsets after the fact is a pain.
MOTU didn't seem concerned about it, nor willing to add a sample offset delay into the mixer's input control which would be an easy fix. GRrrrr....
Old 15th January 2017
Lives for gear

Yeah it's weird, I wonder if mrmiller or any of the motu people would like to comment. After all, one of the main perks of avb is using multiple interfaces together.
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Maniac

I was planning to add a 1248 to my 24ao, but the offset problem has scared me. Motu reps, what is your take on this matter?
Old 15th January 2017
Anyone have issues with the 16A losing sound? I'm running Windows 7... Every session if I move from a daw to youtube or a media player the 16A will lose it's connection. A reset in Windows control panel or a Motu hard reset is need to get it back.. Using USB2
Old 15th January 2017
Gear Addict

I've run into loss of connection multiple times with my Ultralite AVB, though it seems to have improved with the most recent driver update. What I do still run into is that every once in awhile, I'll sit down and just get no sound, even though it shows activity in the mixer. In a couple other instances, there's a burst of glitchy distortion and it starts looping the same bit of audio endlessly, which usually requires a shutdown of both the interface and PC. There's odd bursts once in awhile when seeking in video too, though this is also improving with updates.

It's not been an entirely bad experience, and I'd still take MOTU over Focusrite or something, but the occasional bugs leave me wishing I'd bought an RME or Lynx, even if it meant fewer inputs/outputs. MOTU always had a bad rep on Windows, and while they've been better about driver updates than expected, I still don't really get the sense they care about doing a good job with the platform. Like maybe they're working on Apple drivers and functionality, then handing the Windows side over to a tiny dev group that maybe isn't getting proper support from the rest of their team, so QA is minimal and generally reliant on user reports more than proactive testing.

Last edited by drosophila; 15th January 2017 at 11:30 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th January 2017
I can't believe all the problems people are having with what I would call a *High End* interface,especially on Windows-which due to $$$$ I'm stuck with,and don't have mac buddies to help make a Hackintosh,but my N.I. KA6 is so trouble free,and CERTAINLY NOT High End-but it just works-Iv'e even spilled Iced Coffee into the Komplete Audio 6,but it still works fine.

I desperately want a better interface in the near future(now please?)as I cannot believe even though Iv'e had such stellar reliability,the converters,pre's must be super low end as it's so well priced,but I would think that paying the kind of MONEY that the MOTU costs,it should without question be as reliable,as my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 is,I find it pretty appalling that it is seemingly not?
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Had to replace my system board due to failure so I downloaded the MOTU drivers and tried to install them but kept getting "Driver Is Unsigned So Driver is now Disabled" messages from Windows.

Wonderful..... Evidently the default settings on this ASUS system board are set for security paranoid.

Old board, which is now dead, was Gigabyte z97.
New board is ASUS z97.
Same CPU and drives.

Had to jump through a gazillion hoops via Google searching to get the driver installed.
What a freaking PITA...
Why is the MOTU driver unsigned in the first place?
Or maybe it is signed and Windows 10 Professional is too stupid to realize it.

Don't even ask me about the other 8 zillion programs which will be treating me like a criminal because I dared to switch system boards.

It's gonna be a long night. Time for a beer

At least I have sound working....
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
I was planning to add a 1248 to my 24ao, but the offset problem has scared me. Motu reps, what is your take on this matter?
I have that combination and it works great for me!
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
I have that combination and it works great for me!
are they sample accurate to each other? have you done a loopback to see?
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perra View Post
Anyone have issues with the 16A losing sound? I'm running Windows 7... Every session if I move from a daw to youtube or a media player the 16A will lose it's connection. A reset in Windows control panel or a Motu hard reset is need to get it back.. Using USB2
It happened to me as I went to Youtube to check a few module makers' introduction videos about some new modules I have in my modular.

I have the 1248 and the 16A and I get the same problem on my old MAC PRO 3.1 running El Capitan. I wasn't sure what was the reason for the loss of sound, OSX audio drivers? Logic audio code? Motu? So what I did and do when it happens is Close Logic and Reopen Logic and try to remember not to switch back to Youtube.

Of course to have to restart Logic is very annoying. Still I am not sure if it is a MOTU hardware problem or an OSX audio drivers issue.

I do not know if it only happens with watching youtube or any other type of web based audio/video player. Also do not know if it happens with using other media players apps on OSX.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

@loopy

To me that sounds like you had enforced driver signature verification disabled at your previous Windows installation.. otherwise the same unsigned driver release couldn't work at all even at previous system. There no option for any Windows version to "not realize", driver is signed.
Frankly, it also happens to me sometimes during some installations, because at my own computers, this gets disabled first, as I'm testing various hardware, driver hotfixes etc. And many vendors out there doesn't sign every release.
So when doing work at some other system, suddenly something doesn't load, until I also disable it.

But at least, you've find culprit of your problem, which gets mentioned at other thread. Hopefully replaced board will last.

Good luck with that,

Michal
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

@d. gauss

As I've mentioned before, the reason why someone can be satisfied even with mentioned sample offset, is because it is likely apparent only when recording some multi miked source or stereo pair across two interfaces/converters. Otherwise, it's about 1/2 ms, which gets hardly noticed during normal circumstances.
Generally everyone, who combine any audio interface with digitally (ADAT, AES) connected converter to it, has some offset between local analog I/Os and this channel expansion.. in most cases, this isn't any practical problem with it.

While I agree with you, it would be very nice, if MOTU can fix that at hardware level (if they have memory for that multichannel sample delay at their DSP), you can temporarily workaround that particular offset at Reaper with no "after the fact" manual efforts.
As I've described, put the Delay/time_adjustment with +23 samples to the track input FX chain and save track(s) as a template (eg. 16A inputs) for quick recall at your next projects.
This delay gets "printed" to the recorded takes, so you won't need any manual steps, when you really require perfect relative alignment. CPU consumption of this delay effect is negligible even with many inputs, and it takes a place only when you're recording or monitoring inputs.

Michal
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
@d. gauss

As I've mentioned before, the reason why someone can be satisfied even with mentioned sample offset, is because it is likely apparent only when recording some multi miked source or stereo pair across two interfaces/converters. Otherwise, it's about 1/2 ms, which gets hardly noticed during normal circumstances.
Generally everyone, who combine any audio interface with digitally (ADAT, AES) connected converter to it, has some offset between local analog I/Os and this channel expansion.. in most cases, this isn't any practical problem with it.

While I agree with you, it would be very nice, if MOTU can fix that at hardware level (if they have memory for that multichannel sample delay at their DSP), you can temporarily workaround that particular offset at Reaper with no "after the fact" manual efforts.
As I've described, put the Delay/time_adjustment with +23 samples to the track input FX chain and save track(s) as a template (eg. 16A inputs) for quick recall at your next projects.
This delay gets "printed" to the recorded takes, so you won't need any manual steps, when you really require perfect relative alignment. CPU consumption of this delay effect is negligible even with many inputs, and it takes a place only when you're recording or monitoring inputs.

Michal
Hi, what about external summing, I am using the 24ao and two steiberg's mr816 (soon to be replaced by a 1248), to go to a summing mixer and back to two channels in one steinberg. They are connected via adat.

Do you think the offset would have any significant impact in this scenario?

Haven't test it yet because I am finishing the cabling.
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Hi, what about external summing, I am using the 24ao and two steiberg's mr816 (soon to be replaced by a 1248), to go to a summing mixer and back to two channels in one steinberg. They are connected via adat.

Do you think the offset would have any significant impact in this scenario?

Haven't test it yet because I am finishing the cabling.
If you're using two MR816 some offset is already there.. part of it is by ADAT protocol handling, internal routing at MR816 and part of it is due to different inherent latency for each used converter chip. This latency is completely out of 24AO control and will be different with any other ADAT connected converter.

As I've said, unless you're going to use stereo pairs, multichannel mic groups (like drums) or say surround stems across two different converters, then you likely wont have any issues with it.
But when you finish the cabling, test that for yourself.. to be sure about it.
There is always chance to put corrective delays to DAW output, but as mentioned before, you can find lot of people, who are using systems with different 3rd party I/O expansions, where is for sure some inherent offset between the converters, but they never really touched that topic.

Michal
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
@d. gauss
Michal
i'm well aware of the "workarounds," but since a DAW treats the whole setup as once device, in the heat of a large tracking session, don't really care for having to think about which track has to have the delay corrected and which doesn't. sadly, short of returning the device, have no other choice.
given that the motu has enough DSP to do eq, reverb, etc. (which i never use) within the mixer, should be plenty of power to deal with a simple delay.
only say this because they(motu) tout sample accuracy in their marketing hype for said AVB devices. doesn't appear to be the case in my experiences...
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
i'm well aware of the "workarounds," but since a DAW treats the whole setup as once device, in the heat of a large tracking session, don't really care for having to think about which track has to have the delay corrected and which doesn't. sadly, short of returning the device, have no other choice.
That's understandable, if you find that offset as an obstacle for device use..
I can personally live with that, because I'm using track and project templates anyway and activated track FXs are clearly visible.. and I don't mind to have such sample offset on unrelated channels.
Of course you might have different opinion about that.

I know only handful of modular sample accurate systems, but no one works like main device with its own analog IOs and its additional expansion with another IOs.
It's always tree like structure, with the same connection protocol and the same converters. So you typically have some PCIe interface (such as RME HDSPe RayDat or AES) with digital I/Os and then same converters.
With regards to MADI converters, it depends if each of converter is connected directly to own port at interface or daisy chaining is being used, which also adds additional delay with each device roundtrip.
Some MADI converters (RME, Ferrofish A32) can compensate for daisy chain delays, when all the converters are of the same type and you'll set proper IDs according to its order.
Focusrite Rednet Dante devices are also sample aligned AFAIK, but better to directly ask its support for the exact configuration.. because when converters will be of different type, this couldn't be necessarily true due to different internal latency of chips.. (eg. network transport delay might be compensated, but not conversion itself).

Quote:
given that the motu has enough DSP to do eq, reverb, etc. (which i never use) within the mixer, should be plenty of power to deal with a simple delay.
This delays doesn't demands lot of cycles, but requires available memory at hardware, which might be already used by other effects, that's why I mentioned, I'm not really sure, if it would be technically possible.

Michal
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Addict

1) the 8A is supposed to have exactly the same "everything" (converters, etc.) as the 16A, just less of it.

2) MOTU could have made things easier for everyone if they just made a 24 ch A/D with the same conversion as the 16A/1248, but they don't. the one they do make uses lesser quality chips.

linking devices together (that you have to manually offset) to record a 10 piece band is no fun and plain stupid in 2017. makes me really miss my alesis hd24 (2001??)... 24 in/out with a hiccup ever.
Old 16th January 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
are they sample accurate to each other? have you done a loopback to see?
I will be back with my rig tomorrow and I will do a null test and let you know. I mostly just use the 24ao for summing so this hasn't been an issue for me... will let you know though
Old 16th January 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
1) the 8A is supposed to have exactly the same "everything" (converters, etc.) as the 16A, just less of it.

2) MOTU could have made things easier for everyone if they just made a 24 ch A/D with the same conversion as the 16A/1248, but they don't. the one they do make uses lesser quality chips.
Excuse me, but I've explained before, such rigs with its local and expanded channels aren't comparable to some "single box" system like HD24, Radar or so.. in this case there isn't any inherent latency associated with transport between those boxes, so there's noting to compensate for.
Similarly you also don't have any offset among channels within single MOTU interface..
MOTU also have 24AI and 24AO, it will behave exactly as your HD24 from 2001 with regards to exact channel alignment .

Michal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search