The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 8th November 2016
Lives for gear

So the 1248 is my first motu device so I'm somewhat new to the idea of the software mixer...is there a "right" way to set this up...I don't normally do headphone mixes for someone else (as I am a composer and generally by myself in the studio) and don't do OTB mixing... I have my routing setup so that is fine, I just didn't know if I am missing out on certain functionality by not using the Motu software for anything but routing (using Pro Tools and others as my DAWs) on a Mac.
Old 8th November 2016
Here for the gear

I'm having problems with the latest 2.0 drivers and Sierra.
Using my MOTU 1248 with two different app (i.e. iTunes and MainStage) I'm having a lot of crackles and pops. I downgraded to 1.0.9 and everything is fine again.
Old 9th November 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
So the 1248 is my first motu device so I'm somewhat new to the idea of the software mixer...is there a "right" way to set this up...I don't normally do headphone mixes for someone else (as I am a composer and generally by myself in the studio) and don't do OTB mixing... I have my routing setup so that is fine, I just didn't know if I am missing out on certain functionality by not using the Motu software for anything but routing (using Pro Tools and others as my DAWs) on a Mac.
the software mixer in the interface is very useful for monitoring with very low latency (only the latency of ad and da plus 2 or 3 samples for the mixer). plus you get basic effects for it also.
so when you need that, it would be useful.

if not, just let it sleep in there ...
Old 10th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
in the driver package of the newest v2, there is an uninstall-app.
use that before reinstalling any older driver.
Thanks for suggesting that. I thought I ran that the first time I tried to revert back, but for whatever reason it didn't seem to work. Thankfully this time it did! ;-)

Now I'm back to noise free operation on my 2009 MBP / El capitan machine...yay for older driver versions...

Kaz
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Has anyone tested the latest driver on Windows 7 yet? Does it work for you? I tried to install it once but got an error message in the end saying "the device hasn't been installed correctly".
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

Hmmmm. Seems like the newest AVB driver has hosed functionality of the Frontier Alphatrack. I'm on 10.10.5 with DP8.07 and the aftermarket Alphatrack 64bit bundle for DP which has run fine for over 2 years.

So: Alphatrack working fine with iMac, then I update AVB system firmware and the new Pro Audio Driver. Alphatrack Manager sees Alphatrack, DP sees it under Control Surface Setup, it's assigned properly both places, I can disconnect and reconnect it to see 'Welcome to Alphatrack' on it's display, occasionally goes so far as to show information related to the DP sequence that's open, but no controls cause any DP functions. I deleted it from Control Surface Setup and added it back to be sure.

On a MBP (same OS/DP/Alphatrack driver) with the older AVB driver, it works fine.

Uninstall Alphatrack 1.4.1 (latest version) to beging a re-install, this requires a restart. This took out my AVB network. Discovery App no longer sees the AVB interfaces.

Go to uninstall/reinstall the AVB driver, uninstall package is a UNIX executable file that makes no sense to me, and no instructions. Opens Terminal and window shows a spot for entering password, which will not allow any data entry.

Go back and reinstall AVB driver without having (apparently) uninstalled first. AVB network is back. Reinstall Alphatrack 1.4.1, AVB network still present, same Alphatrack behavior as above, no change.

Ditched and replaced the Alphatrack bundle in the MOTU Control Surface folder, then nuked and reassigned the Alphatrack under control surfaces. Still nothing. Restart, still nothing.

So that’s an hour, apparently fruitless, but maybe will help someone else encountering problems or give someone else an idea of something I’m overlooking. It appears the drivers have a conflict, as evidenced by the uninstall of Alphatrack taking out the new AVB driver. Can anyone with an AVB system AND an Alphatrack replicate this, or at least confirm the recent 2nd Gen Alphatrack 64 bit bundle is working fine with the new AVB driver? Maybe that new package is also a driver and a bundle, while the 1st gen is just a bundle if I understand it correctly, though reports suggest 2nd gen just an updated bundle that allows install with SIP enabled.
Old 19th November 2016
Lives for gear

Anyone using the control web app successfully with Google Chrome (Mac OS 10.10.5) ? I have the latest version of Chrome, but when going to the IP address of my 16A I get a window saying the browser is unsupported. Seems odd that Chrome wouldn't work. Safari works fine on the same computer incidentally.
Old 20th November 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
Anyone using the control web app successfully with Google Chrome (Mac OS 10.10.5) ? I have the latest version of Chrome, but when going to the IP address of my 16A I get a window saying the browser is unsupported. Seems odd that Chrome wouldn't work. Safari works fine on the same computer incidentally.
on mac os (yosemite) i always use safari, as it works best.

in windows 8, chrome works well for me.
Old 21st November 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
16A owner, and I'm on macOS Sierra; the web app is working fine for me on Chrome as well as Sierra, so no issues here.
Old 22nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Thanks Rafter man and tft.

It turns out it's related to the zoom settings in Chrome. 100% won't work for me, but 90% does. Credit to Dave at MOTU support for pointing this out.
Old 22nd November 2016
Here for the gear
Is anyone successfully using one of these with Bootcamp on a mac? I've been trying to get my 1248 working but I'm not having much luck. Its fine under OSX, but on Windows 10/Bootcamp it will drop out regularly or click/pop when using USB and it just crashes the laptop if I even try with thunderbolt.

All drivers, software and firmware have just been updated to the latest versions.
Old 23rd November 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by geohanson View Post
Is anyone successfully using one of these with Bootcamp on a mac? I've been trying to get my 1248 working but I'm not having much luck. Its fine under OSX, but on Windows 10/Bootcamp it will drop out regularly or click/pop when using USB and it just crashes the laptop if I even try with thunderbolt.

All drivers, software and firmware have just been updated to the latest versions.
My 16A works perfectly with both my macs on bootcamp (Win 7) over USB. But i gotta admit the bulk of the work its done on OSX over thunderbolt, so there might be a stability problem that i haven't got the chance to experience yet.
Old 23rd November 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobipl View Post
I was Bretter excited to see that Apple released a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter at half the price you'd pay for a kanex or startech and instantly ordered one. Will report how it works with my 1248 and Gigabyte UD5-TH mainboard as soon as it arrives.
Since I was sent personal messages concerning the apple thunderbolt 3 adapter in combination with the 1248...
It works with windows 10.
Updated the bios to the latest revision available and installed the Intel thunderbolt software, fired everything up and it worked straight without any issues.
Afaik apple is selling these adapters at 29$ atm.
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Rafter man and tft.

It turns out it's related to the zoom settings in Chrome. 100% won't work for me, but 90% does. Credit to Dave at MOTU support for pointing this out.
Thanks for that one. I've been getting the same problem intermittently and could never figure out what was causing it. I tested by making the page bigger, like 125% and it failed. Zoomed out a bit and reloaded the page and it worked fine!

Good fix!
Old 24th November 2016
Lives for gear

Did they get rid of the USB app with the new drivers? Not seeing it. It was handy for tweaking things a little tighter.

Last edited by Mr. Mulcahy; 24th November 2016 at 07:09 AM..
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

624 and 8A - interesting!

motu.com/newsitems/624-8a

Here was me thinking that motu may have begun to shy away from AVB.

Next stop, perhaps an AVB control surface and smaller units - 312 and 4A?! Might be good items to make a fantastic modular system!
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno View Post
624 and 8A - interesting!

motu.com/newsitems/624-8a

Here was me thinking that motu may have begun to shy away from AVB.

Next stop, perhaps an AVB control surface and smaller units - 312 and 4A?! Might be good items to make a fantastic modular system!

The 8A is exactly what I need to complement my 16A. But I can’t find a price anywhere. Anybody have any idea how much it will cost and when it will be available?
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
The 8A is exactly what I need to complement my 16A. But I can’t find a price anywhere. Anybody have any idea how much it will cost and when it will be available?
Hi everyone,
We're very excited to introduce these new products today.
Street price for both the 8A and 624 is $795 each (USD), and both interfaces are shipping now!
Old 6th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Hi everyone,
Street price for both the 8A and 624 is $795 each (USD), and both interfaces are shipping now!
Both looks like very nice products for someone looking for very good sounding interfaces without need for so many analog I/Os.

Michal
Old 6th December 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi everyone,
And there is still no information about the channel and the Aux / Group- count- reduction in the AVB - Mixer when using higher sample rates!!
The 48 channels and 7 Auxiliaries re not available when using higher sample rates.

I think this is a shame.

You should document things like this.
Old 6th December 2016
Gear Nut

The 8A would allow me to free up some analog outs on the 16A that I use for my monitors and headphones. I had been a bit hesitant on adding another 16A since I don’t plan to add that many outboard pieces, yet didn’t want to compromise on the converters with an 828x or something similar. I couldn’t find information on it, but will there be a half rack joining kit offered for those that desire going that route? Or perhaps it wouldn’t even be necessary?
Old 6th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
The 8A would allow me to free up some analog outs on the 16A that I use for my monitors and headphones. I had been a bit hesitant on adding another 16A since I don’t plan to add that many outboard pieces, yet didn’t want to compromise on the converters with an 828x or something similar. I couldn’t find information on it, but will there be a half rack joining kit offered for those that desire going that route? Or perhaps it wouldn’t even be necessary?
I feel exactly the same way...

very cool

cheers

Wiz
Old 7th December 2016
Here for the gear

Definitely think these products are a good move from motu. Interested in knowing if the dsp specs are higher than those in the 1248. Will we also see a product refresh on the big brothers with the colour LCD panels? What about potential for a "monitor4"?
Old 7th December 2016
Here for the gear

Are the 624 and 8A using the same ESS 9016 chip or the refreshed model ESS 9026Pro?
Old 7th December 2016
Gear Addict
Wish MOTU could manufacture a 48Ch digital mixer/controller much like a hybrid of the new StudioLive 32 and CS18AI from Presonus but with performance upto 192kHz. That would complete the ecosystem nicely. They could integrate the web app in the mixing desk with a touch screen, or leave room for owners to install their own touch screens (from 7inch Android Tablets, to 10inch iPads, to 21inch Windows Monitors). Also include Thunderbolt and USB 3 on the mixer.

I also hope they will eventually have an AVB/Thunderbolt video interface, but that will need 100Gbps switches to be more affordable and available to meet the needs of multiple 4K HDR video.

I'm grateful to MOTU for keeping the AVB dream alive. I love these two boxes.
Old 7th December 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Hi Travis, do you know if usb3 would give more performance and less dropouts in demanding projects than usb2?

I have a 24ao and my Computer doesn't have thunderbolt, so is usb3 near thunderbolt performance?

Also, do know if changing the number of usb available channels has an impact in performance? I am running 64 but I could scale down to 32 if there is an improvement in performance.

Thanks! This are awesome interfaces!
Old 7th December 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo1980 View Post
Hi Travis, do you know if usb3 would give more performance and less dropouts in demanding projects than usb2?

I have a 24ao and my Computer doesn't have thunderbolt, so is usb3 near thunderbolt performance?

Also, do know if changing the number of usb available channels has an impact in performance? I am running 64 but I could scale down to 32 if there is an improvement in performance.

Thanks! This are awesome interfaces!
Pablo 1908,

USB3 is a higher bandwidth connection than USB2 which allows us to offer the same channel count as Thunderbolt: up to 128 channels!
Adding a 624 or 8A to your setup would allow you to expand your system substantially.
We've tuned the driver to perform evenly across all three USB modes, you should see the same performance, regardless of the number of USB channels.
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Getting a weird problems with Windows Sound Control Panel. On the "Recording Tab" the meter is pegged on the IN 1-24 MOTU Pro Audio device.

It doesn't matter what I have set for default device, the meter is always pegged unless I drop the level but still is solid and is there whether I am playing any audio or not like YouTube etc.

I have the unit configured as "Audio Interface" in the Discovery program and routing is factory defaults.

It looks like some kind of feedback loop but I'm not seeing sny indication other than the pegged meter in Windows Sound Control Panel.

The unit is an Ultralite AVB with the latest firmware. I don't know how long this has been going on as I don't use the Windows Sound Control Panel much.

Any ideas?
Old 7th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Getting a weird problems with Windows Sound Control Panel. On the "Recording Tab" the meter is pegged on the IN 1-24 MOTU Pro Audio device.

It doesn't matter what I have set for default device, the meter is always pegged unless I drop the level but still is solid and is there whether I am playing any audio or not like YouTube etc.

I have the unit configured as "Audio Interface" in the Discovery program and routing is factory defaults.

It looks like some kind of feedback loop but I'm not seeing sny indication other than the pegged meter in Windows Sound Control Panel.

The unit is an Ultralite AVB with the latest firmware. I don't know how long this has been going on as I don't use the Windows Sound Control Panel much.

Any ideas?
Ok so I fixed it. I removed the driver and re-installed and now the meter is no longer pegged. Really weird one.

I still don't understand what the difference between MOTU Out 1-2 and MOTU Out 1-24 as seen in the Windows Sound Control panel are. Same thing for the In's MOTU In 1-2 vs MOTU In 1-24.
Old 8th December 2016
Gear Addict

Not sure if there is a way to do this, or if this would be a "feature request". I have a pair of 16A and I use aux outs for separate headphone feeds which usually use aux 1-4 for four slightly different mixes depending on what the clients need. Since most of the aux mixes are nearly identical, it would be very useful if we had a "manage preset" panel for the aux mix channels like what's available in the main mixer. Then I could save one, copy to the other 3, and make subtle changes. Is this possible now? Am I missing something? Or another approach could be "copy main mix to aux buss" for the main input channels. Something to let me grab a mix and copy it to other aux channels would be very useful... is there a way that I'm not familiar with?

Next, is it possible to add the ability to momentarily "group" faders for moves? Could I select say channels 1,2,4,8, and 9 and have them move together? I know about clicking the side number and moving the mouse horizontally, but that moves them all to the same level. I'm wondering if you can multi-select channels and have them move as a group temporarily.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search