The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr View Post
It's simple, any interface has just one active sample rate for its operation. So if you have some digital devices with 48k outputs and you'll switch an interface to 96k, it won't work.. inputs just loose it sync.
So either ditch the 96k idea or hook-up those synths via analog.

Michal
Thanks -- just what I thought, but good to confirm. Well, I guess I'll have to decide whether I think 96 actually sounds substantially better (a matter of debate I know). And if I go that route, and therefore can't use the ADAT inputs with the old gear, then I'll just use a physical patchbay for whatever synths don't fit. I was going to need to use a patchbay for the inputs of various synths/samplers anyway, since to get that many outputs on the MOTUs would end up being cost-prohibitive...any how many different sampling sessions would I likely be doing simultaneously anyway...
Old 23rd October 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
But I wanted to ask... do you have ideas what the issue could be with not letting me switch to 96Khz? I was trying to set 96 on both devices and it worked at first. Could this be a problem with the CAT 5 connection between 1248 and 16A? Or maybe a limitation of AVB with Yosemite? ...
afaik, the usb driver sets the unit to the samplerate that is set in your daw-project. check what samplerate is set there and change it to 96 khz, the devices should follow.
Old 23rd October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
afaik, the usb driver sets the unit to the samplerate that is set in your daw-project. check what samplerate is set there and change it to 96 khz, the devices should follow.

Wow, I was trying to set 96Khz every where , Audio Device Manger, Motu devices, Logic Preferences.. I completely forgot about the actual project audio settings!

thank you, it worked... THANK YOU!

P.S. someone sent me a private message about my interface/synths/patchbay setup... I did see the message I will reply ASAP..

Old 25th October 2016
Here for the gear

Thunderbolt 3 and motu 1248

HI all,

I have a question about the MOTU 1248. Is it thunderbolt 3 ready also!
I have the motu 1248 2 years at the moment. and iam very happy with it! But i wanna sure know if it is compatible with Thunderbolt 3

X99-A II + ThunderboltEX 3 card is this a right choice??

Anyone experience with this

thanks
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by needa1 View Post
HI all,

I have a question about the MOTU 1248. Is it thunderbolt 3 ready also!
I have the motu 1248 2 years at the moment. and iam very happy with it! But i wanna sure know if it is compatible with Thunderbolt 3

X99-A II + ThunderboltEX 3 card is this a right choice??

Anyone experience with this

thanks
Hi,

interface itself has Thunderbolt (1), but Thunderbolt 3 is backward compatible with previous versions of the standard.
Thunderbolt 3 is available only at USB-C connectors, so you'll need also external converter for that.
https://www.startech.com/Cables/thun...er~TBT3TBTADAP
https://www.amazon.com/Kanex-Thunder...170-1051-BK6I/

There were some previous mentions about simpler adapter in the cable, but unfortunately I haven't seen any available.. This would be great, because it would save you one box and additional cable.

I haven't tried it myself, but if you're would like to get X99 plaform for Broadwel-E CPU with TB3 support, there aren't any other choices than mentioned ASUS board with corresponding expansion card AFAIK.

At MOTU AVB side, you'll need latest firmware and driver from 20th September, which includes Windows 10 TB support.
MOTU.com - AVB

Michal
Old 25th October 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockreid View Post
I have a 1248.

I have an ASUS X99 Deluxe II MB that includes the EX3 Thunderbolt card. It has one USB-C port and I use it with a TB3 to TB2 adaptor and it works fine once the MOTU Beta drivers are properly installed in Win10.
Hi rockreid,

What adaptor are you using? I have a startech TBT2 to TBT3 on a Lenovo p70 and my MOTU does not work at all...
Old 25th October 2016
Lives for gear

The Startech adaptor TB3 to TB2 is what I have. Make sure your TB is enabled in your BIOS. I know for some odd reason my ASUS motherboard defaults to TB OFF and has to be turned on when setting up the BIOS.

THen make sure you have the latest MOTU AVB firmware drivers installed with your MOTU unit already plugged in. In my setup, the TB drivers will not install correctly if the MOTU hardware is not plugged in via TB.
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Maniac

PC user here. Asus X99-a, 5820K, Windows 10, Thunderbolt EXII card, recording at 24-44.1

I just received my 1248 the other day and I had a hell of a time getting my thunderbolt adapter to work. I eventually got it going by uninstalling and reinstalling it 3 times. :/

I'm getting 5.8ms latency reported by reaper. Buffer size is 256 and and safety buffer is 64. If I go any lower on either setting I seem to get the odd pop or glitch but I am monitoring with plugins in the mix (VMR on every track but no VTM) I'm recording 12 tracks at a time.

My clients don't notice any latency issues at these buffer settings. The Echo Audiofire units I upgraded from had a noticeable latency at 256 which was the minimum buffer setting I could use while recording 12 tracks with heavy plugin use, so overall I'm really pleased with the results.

I'm getting an accompanying 24ai in the next few days so more to come.
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience with the 16a which so far hasn't been great at all ...

My studio PC is Win7 x64, I work with both Cubase 7.5 (32bit) and Pro Tools 12.5 (64bit). I installed the 16a with the latest drivers (Sept 20, 2016), but it is neither working with Cubase 32 bit nor with Pro Tools. The only DAW I can use it with is Cubase 64 bit. In Cubase 32 bit there is no audio signal coming from the individual tracks and the level meters don't show anything. In Pro Tools I get AAE error 6117, which apparently indicates that the driver is not compatible with Pro Tools.

I also did a performance test in Cubase x64 to compare my trusty old RME Multiface 2 to the 16a. I was using a sample frequency of 44k and an audio buffer of 64 samples and played around with the host safety offset. With the 16a, no matter what host safety offset I was using, the peaks in the performance meter regularly jumped up to 25% even in a session with only 1 audio track that wasn't even playing! In a session with lots of tracks the peaks would jump up to 50% while with the RME they were in the range of 6-8%!

I bought this interface because lots of people here seemed to suggest it works well with Windows (contrary to the belief that Motu is more of a Mac brand). I can't confirm this (yet). Did anyone here have similar problems?
Old 30th October 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudaben View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted to share my experience with the 16a which so far hasn't been great at all ...

My studio PC is Win7 x64, I work with both Cubase 7.5 (32bit) and Pro Tools 12.5 (64bit). I installed the 16a with the latest drivers (Sept 20, 2016), but it is neither working with Cubase 32 bit nor with Pro Tools. The only DAW I can use it with is Cubase 64 bit. In Cubase 32 bit there is no audio signal coming from the individual tracks and the level meters don't show anything. In Pro Tools I get AAE error 6117, which apparently indicates that the driver is not compatible with Pro Tools.

I also did a performance test in Cubase x64 to compare my trusty old RME Multiface 2 to the 16a. I was using a sample frequency of 44k and an audio buffer of 64 samples and played around with the host safety offset. With the 16a, no matter what host safety offset I was using, the peaks in the performance meter regularly jumped up to 25% even in a session with only 1 audio track that wasn't even playing! In a session with lots of tracks the peaks would jump up to 50% while with the RME they were in the range of 6-8%!

I bought this interface because lots of people here seemed to suggest it works well with Windows (contrary to the belief that Motu is more of a Mac brand). I can't confirm this (yet). Did anyone here have similar problems?
use the old driver v 1.6 !!!
MOTU.com - Driver Download Links and Change Log - MOTU Hardware

the new driver has never worked for me, the beta team did not respond to my email about that.
the older driver works well here.
this is with win8 32bit on a bootcamped macbook pro 17" (late 2009) via usb.

edit: don't forget to uninstall the current driver, before installing the new one!
Old 31st October 2016
Here for the gear

I was Bretter excited to see that Apple released a thunderbolt 3 to thunderbolt 2 adapter at half the price you'd pay for a kanex or startech and instantly ordered one. Will report how it works with my 1248 and Gigabyte UD5-TH mainboard as soon as it arrives.
Old 31st October 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
use the old driver v 1.6 !!!
the new driver has never worked for me, the beta team did not respond to my email about that.
the older driver works well here.
this is with win8 32bit on a bootcamped macbook pro 17" (late 2009) via usb.

edit: don't forget to uninstall the current driver, before installing the new one!
I had no luck with that. After I installed the v1.6 driver I had this issue that I couldn't set the audio buffer to anything below 1024. This has been described here too but I don't remember what the solution was ...
Plus, what I found weird is that when I went into Windows device manager to display details about the driver it said driver version 2.24.0.0, driver date 10/09/2014. Oh yeah and Motu's AVB discovery app didn't work anymore either. So in short everything seemed pretty messy. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the firmware on the device is from Sept 2016 and doesn't work with older drivers?

I don't know but I do know that I am about to resell this thing. Unfortunately I can't give it back to the store ...
Old 31st October 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I had no luck with that. After I installed the v1.6 driver I had this issue that I couldn't set the audio buffer to anything below 1024. This has been described here too but I don't remember what the solution was ...
Plus, what I found weird is that when I went into Windows device manager to display details about the driver it said driver version 2.24.0.0, driver date 10/09/2014. Oh yeah and Motu's AVB discovery app didn't work anymore either. So in short everything seemed pretty messy. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the firmware on the device is from Sept 2016 and doesn't work with older drivers?

I don't know but I do know that I am about to resell this thing. Unfortunately I can't give it back to the store ...
Did you uninstall the new driver before installing the older one?
Old 1st November 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:

definitely weird. i use my 112D with the newest firmware and driver 1.6 without issues (over usb, discovery app works fine).
seems to be a case for support.

by the way, discovery app is not really necessary. just save a bookmark in your browser with the correct adress (see the manual). using the ethernet connection is the most stable way for me to get access to the webapp running inside the device.
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:

MOTU is very active in this thread and your situation looks reasonable. You're also using software that is supported on their website... Hopefully they can find a solution for you.

Could you use the 16a as a standalone converter with something else in the meantime?

Also it might be cheaper to upgrade your computer than to sell and repurchase another audio interface. It's a bit of a gamble but honestly if that doesn't work there is definitely something wrong with it.

I have a fully working PCI RME adat card I could sell you for $200 in the meantime? This is kind of random but it would give you 24 channels via adat.

Last edited by sloper; 1st November 2016 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Forgot I own an old RME card.
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Nut
Hey guys,
I've been working with Bermudaben directly through our TechLink service on Motu.com and I just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues with MOTU AVB hardware and Protools?
We're planning a driver release today for our AVB hardware and it's going to offer a number of enhancements. Keep an eye on our website for that later in the day!
Old 1st November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Hey guys,
I've been working with Bermudaben directly through our TechLink service on Motu.com and I just wanted to check in and see if anyone else has experienced similar issues with MOTU AVB hardware and Protools?
We're planning a driver release today for our AVB hardware and it's going to offer a number of enhancements. Keep an eye on our website for that later in the day!
Thanks for the update Travis.
Old 1st November 2016
Hello! I see update is online. What's new? Don't see lots of information.
Old 1st November 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
Hello! I see update is online. What's new? Don't see lots of information.
Below is a link to our driver change log that documents all driver releases and changes made.

Old 1st November 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
definitely weird. i use my 112D with the newest firmware and driver 1.6 without issues (over usb, discovery app works fine).
seems to be a case for support.

by the way, discovery app is not really necessary. just save a bookmark in your browser with the correct adress (see the manual). using the ethernet connection is the most stable way for me to get access to the webapp running inside the device.
Your're right. It actually works with the v1.6 driver. I figured out how to set the latency below 1024 samples.

I've spent the whole afternoon doing tests with the 16a and I've come to the conclusion that there's definitely a problem with the v4 driver on Windows 7. The older driver performs really well in Cubase and somewhat less well in Pro Tools. In Cubase, I was able to play back more than 100 stereo tracks with plugins at 44k / 64 buffer.

With the v4 driver, on the other hands, I am having issues in every DAW that's on my machine: Cubase 32 bit / 64 bit and Pro Tools 12.5. In Cubase 32 bit I get no audio signal, in Cubase 64 bit I get an unreasonably high system load and in Pro Tools I can hardly play back even one track.

I am loving the features and mixer software in the 16a. So I really hope Motu will come up with a more stable driver for Windows 7.
Old 2nd November 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Your're right. It actually works with the v1.6 driver. I figured out how to set the latency below 1024 samples.

I've spent the whole afternoon doing tests with the 16a and I've come to the conclusion that there's definitely a problem with the v4 driver on Windows 7. The older driver performs really well in Cubase and somewhat less well in Pro Tools. In Cubase, I was able to play back more than 100 stereo tracks with plugins at 44k / 64 buffer.

With the v4 driver, on the other hands, I am having issues in every DAW that's on my machine: Cubase 32 bit / 64 bit and Pro Tools 12.5. In Cubase 32 bit I get no audio signal, in Cubase 64 bit I get an unreasonably high system load and in Pro Tools I can hardly play back even one track.

I am loving the features and mixer software in the 16a. So I really hope Motu will come up with a more stable driver for Windows 7.
good to see, that it works for you know!
maybe the new "superdriver" is only suitable for modern os-versions?
don't know, that's just what i guess from the issues ...

but as long as the older driver is a workable solution i can't complain
my 112D is a good device with lots of functionality (mixer, routing, controlable via wifi, ...).
Old 2nd November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisvictor View Post
Below is a link to our driver change log that documents all driver releases and changes made.

cool! thank you!
Old 2nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Did the news Windows drivers get performance improvements or is it mainly to correct that bug?
Old 2nd November 2016
Gear Head

Hi Everyone,

So while I generally keep up to date with drivers and firmware for my ultralite avb, it's been ages since I actually tried using Logic X with it, and had a nasty surprise upon opening some old projects today.

(the kind of nasty surprise which makes the entire device unusable! :-( )

I've made a video to illustrate the issue which I tried to keep short here:

I have some outboard (my mix buss) on the stereo out of a project (just a screw around project), but it's all broken...

https://vimeo.com/189978407

Basically there is a noise on all inputs. The lower the number of the inputs, the lower frequency the noise. The higher the inputs the higher frequency the noise.

(as in, input 1&2 have much less noise than 7&8...it gets lost in the video a little bit, but ALL the inputs have noise on them including 1&2)

I can't say for sure, but I suspect this is a v2 driver issue, as when I last did some recording earlier in the year, I was definitely on the v1 drivers and things were fine.

If you watch the video you can hear the issue for yourself. Later on you can see the software versions as I go in to the control panel, so I'm up to date as far as I know. I also use the routing to put iTunes through my outboard at the end of the video, and it doesn't have any problems, so it's a Logic X specific issue.

Apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere in the thread, but there are just too many pages to read through now, so I figured I would just ask.

Has anyone else seen this? Also, note that the inputs that the mix bus signal is expected to be returned on, while noisy, also contain a partial audio signal that seems to be playing half speed, like someone's making incorrect assumptions about the sample rate in a driver somewhere...

All help appreciated, thanks for reading!

Cheers,

Kaz

MBP 2009, El Cap, 10.11.6.
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Maniac

I can't comment on your problem, taliska, but I'd really like to hear from people who are using an AVB interface on Windows 7. Are you experiencing problems like error messages or bad performance? Or is everything running smoothly? Please state what DAW and driver version you are using.

I need to decide whether to keep my newly bought 16a or take it back to the store. I am having lots of issues. It would be helpful to know whether they are specific to my system or generally known on Windows 7.

My PC is built around an i7 4970K 4 GHz CPU and a Gigabyte MB. Until now, I have been using RME interfaces without any issues.
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
I can't comment on your problem, taliska, but I'd really like to hear from people who are using an AVB interface on Windows 7. Are you experiencing problems like error messages or bad performance? Or is everything running smoothly? Please state what DAW and driver version you are using.

I need to decide whether to keep my newly bought 16a or take it back to the store. I am having lots of issues. It would be helpful to know whether they are specific to my system or generally known on Windows 7.

My PC is built around an i7 4970K 4 GHz CPU and a Gigabyte MB. Until now, I have been using RME interfaces without any issues.
I don't think, general inquiry about many issues you're experiencing will give you some reasonable base for your decision. You'll get anecdotal experiences across different operating systems, different DAWs or general feelings about that.

How it went with MOTU support?
That's probably most important thing.. At your place I'd probably concentrate on that.. they definitely won't be fixing previous driver releases, so exact walk-through and most accurate description of the issues you're experiencing with the current driver would be the best, plus of course give them some time for possible reproduction of the bug.
I'm not sure how much time you have for the return and if the interface is unusable for you at this state, but I'd probably wait for answers to each particular issue, you're experiencing, from MOTU support and then decide.

Michal
Old 3rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Taliska and bermudaben, I am on Windows 10 running fine with an Ultralite AVB so not directly comparable.
What I would do is temporarily install Reaper and see how Reaper works with the MOTU. I watched your video and to me it sounds like either a sample mismatch or clocking problem.

Don't know how the Mac works but under Windows programs like iTunes, Youtube, system sounds etc use the Windows sound system to generate audio and not ASIO which DAW programs use so it's no comparable. Does the Mac use one sound system for everything? If so, and if the MOTU works with iTunes, Youtube etc I would say the problem is with Logic. Try Reaper and see if it also produces problems.
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Taliska and bermudaben, I am on Windows 10 running fine with an Ultralite AVB so not directly comparable.
What I would do is temporarily install Reaper and see how Reaper works with the MOTU. I watched your video and to me it sounds like either a sample mismatch or clocking problem.

Don't know how the Mac works but under Windows programs like iTunes, Youtube, system sounds etc use the Windows sound system to generate audio and not ASIO which DAW programs use so it's no comparable. Does the Mac use one sound system for everything? If so, and if the MOTU works with iTunes, Youtube etc I would say the problem is with Logic. Try Reaper and see if it also produces problems.
Yeah, that's what I thought it sounded like too (thanks for taking the time to watch the vid btw! ;-) ).

I'm not sure whether iTunes and Logic use the same audio framework underneath, but unless anyone knows differently, I'd assume that they both use CoreAudio.

The reason that there's no noise in iTunes will just be because no (client side) inputs would be enabled, so we're effectively not monitoring the noisy channels through the driver. I just did that to show that the HW internal path going through the exact same physical connections work fine, so it's a software side issue (I'm obviously making the assumption that the routing all happens on device i this case).

I'm a game and tools programmer and have my own custom audio engine that I maintain as a hobby / part of my game engine, so I'm aware of the kind of things that can go wrong. Even if two different clients use the same framework for sound, they can each choose to configure it in subtly different ways, and it's common for situations like that to show up oversights.

You're right in saying it could be a logic x only issue, but my instinct is that that is not the case, as I'm sure people would be shouting from the rooftops if everyone's audio interface had been turned in an expensive white noise machine...

My guess is, uninitialised memory somewhere in the driver that by chance gets initialised to the right thing 99% of the time, and in my specific configuration, doesn't...

I posted here first as I know motu people monitor this thread, and also that there is a huge knowledge base of users here, but I guess it's time to contact support directly. I'll also try installing audio desk? to see what happens...

Thanks for the thoughts loopy!
Old 4th November 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by taliska View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought it sounded like too (thanks for taking the time to watch the vid btw! ;-) ).

I'm not sure whether iTunes and Logic use the same audio framework underneath, but unless anyone knows differently, I'd assume that they both use CoreAudio.

The reason that there's no noise in iTunes will just be because no (client side) inputs would be enabled, so we're effectively not monitoring the noisy channels through the driver. I just did that to show that the HW internal path going through the exact same physical connections work fine, so it's a software side issue (I'm obviously making the assumption that the routing all happens on device i this case).

I'm a game and tools programmer and have my own custom audio engine that I maintain as a hobby / part of my game engine, so I'm aware of the kind of things that can go wrong. Even if two different clients use the same framework for sound, they can each choose to configure it in subtly different ways, and it's common for situations like that to show up oversights.

You're right in saying it could be a logic x only issue, but my instinct is that that is not the case, as I'm sure people would be shouting from the rooftops if everyone's audio interface had been turned in an expensive white noise machine...

My guess is, uninitialised memory somewhere in the driver that by chance gets initialised to the right thing 99% of the time, and in my specific configuration, doesn't...

I posted here first as I know motu people monitor this thread, and also that there is a huge knowledge base of users here, but I guess it's time to contact support directly. I'll also try installing audio desk? to see what happens...

Thanks for the thoughts loopy!
OK, so that was a quick test!

It also happens in Audio Desk...so it's just universally broken.

Really simple to reproduce. Open audio desk, create a new mono track, select an input somewhere in the noisy range for maximum annoyance and monitor it. Cringe as your speakers emit something that sounds like aliens trying to make contact...

I'm currently in the process of updating a mac-mini 2012 I use as a headless server to OS X sierra, to see if using the same version of logic, firmware, and driver with a newer OS makes it go away...

----Update----

So I've just installed the last v1 drivers on my sierra / Mac mini 2012 system, and tried audio desk and logic, and it's all completely fine. Next I'm going to update my drivers to the first v2 release and see what happens...

----Update 2----

OK, so all v2 drivers work on my sierra system also in both logic and audio desk, which is nice, but not particularly helpful as that isn't my day to day machine.

After all that, I've re-attached the USB cable to my MBP 2009 El Capitan which is running the latest driver that just worked on the other system, and still horrible noise...

Does anyone know whether it's possible to roll-back to an earlier driver? I did try that when I initially came across the problem, but couldn't get it to work...

Kaz

Last edited by taliska; 5th November 2016 at 02:25 PM.. Reason: Some testing info...
Old 8th November 2016
tft
Gear Nut

in the driver package of the newest v2, there is an uninstall-app.
use that before reinstalling any older driver.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search