The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 23rd July 2016
Here for the gear

ugggh - MOTU16A bit the dust

Came down to the studio this morning, My 16A is completely dead (looks like a power supply failure or something). No activity what so ever. I've had it for about a year and a 1/2.

I put a ticket into MOTU. We'll see how fast this goes. Bummer. A lot of things to rewire to get things going again.
Old 24th July 2016
Gear Addict
With all the talk going on around Studio Video Over IP I hope MOTU are also working on a Thunderbolt AVB Video Interface to complement their AVB audio interfaces. Their current Thunderbolt Video interface is the only one to have Windows Thunderbolt support. AFAIK

Enoch
Old 27th July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajunkie View Post
Came down to the studio this morning, My 16A is completely dead (looks like a power supply failure or something). No activity what so ever. I've had it for about a year and a 1/2.

I put a ticket into MOTU. We'll see how fast this goes. Bummer. A lot of things to rewire to get things going again.
MOTU called be back first thing Monday and are resolving the issue quickly. Great support.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

Yeah, they really took care of me when I had an issue, as well. gives you peace of mind, which can often be lacking these days.
Old 27th July 2016
Lives for gear

I agree the MOTU support has been fantastic, Held my hand and talked me thru issues of my own making, even when the issue was not related to their product.
Old 27th July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajunkie View Post
MOTU called be back first thing Monday and are resolving the issue quickly. Great support.
Would you mind following up the post, with what the repair was and any cost involved please.....

As I am in Australia, this sort of stuff is always a worry.

cheers

Wiz
Old 27th July 2016
Gear Maniac
nice to hear that their support replied. Last year my 828X had the led failed, but i couldn't get any response.

I had to replace it on my own thanks to forum help (it seems it was a common problem with an easy fix, so i just dl, printed and took to a repair shop).

As it was a solid unit (even though with the led problem ), i bought one 1248, which is a very nice unit, and definitely a worth upgrade.

Hopefully, MOTU will support me next time :] I'm in Brazil, just to be clear.

Edit:Would you mind following up the post, with what the repair was and any cost involved please.....

As I am in Australia, this sort of stuff is always a worry. + 1 hehehe :]
Old 30th July 2016
Lives for gear

Hi guys firstly thank you for your help with my previous question long time ago.

I have a Motu 8M which I am running with the latest version of logic pro X I am trying to root audio tracks from logic via the 8M to external hardware for processing then back into logic for recording i've tried using both the IO plug in and basic track input and output settings But so far nothing has worked. Do I have to set up hardware sends and receives on the 8M for this to work? Right now my 8M is set to the default can figuration If someone could please explain to me how to Set up logic x and the 8M for external hardware processing I would be extremely grateful Your help with this question would be most welcome kind regards trey.
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Hi all,

I have a problem and I was hoping someone could help. I have a MOTU 1248, Win 8.1, protools 12.5.2, latest MOTU drivers and firmware. Great stuff except that audio only comes out of one speaker on my my headphones (both monitors I get audio). I have installed, reinstalled, reset default MOTU, to no avail. I also get the No Connected MOTU AVB Devices message when I try to access it via the website (I have to use the Ethernet cable). Regardless, protools will playback to the MOTU but again its only through one headphone speaker. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Last edited by johnd5412; 3rd August 2016 at 05:08 AM..
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Maniac

It would be great to have the mixer support VST plugins. Room correction software would benefit incredibly from this.
Old 3rd August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd5412 View Post
Hi all,

I have a problem and I was hoping someone could help. I have a MOTU 1248, Win 8.1, protools 12.5.2, latest MOTU drivers and firmware. Great stuff except that audio only comes out of one speaker on my my headphones (both monitors I get audio). I have installed, reinstalled, reset default MOTU, to no avail. I also get the No Connected MOTU AVB Devices message when I try to access it via the website (I have to use the Ethernet cable). Regardless, protools will playback to the MOTU but again its only through one headphone speaker. Any ideas or similar experiences?
Dumb question but you do have the From Computer 1 routed to Phones L and From Computer 2 routed to Phones R just like you have for the mains?
Do they blink in the routing table?

I get the "Device Not Found" and also "Browser Not Supported" messages (Chrome) once in a while as well when using a browser. It seems to fix itself although one time I had to create a desktop shortcut using Edge (I never use Edge for anything BTW) to force it to work.
Old 3rd August 2016
Gear Maniac

Yes and yes; I wish fixing that mistake would solve my problem. I'm just leaving the Ethernet connected to solve the not found issue.
Old 3rd August 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
Right now my 8M is set to the default can figuration If someone could please explain to me how to Set up logic x and the 8M for external hardware processing I would be extremely grateful Your help with this question would be most welcome kind regards trey.
Default has never worked for me. Can you connect to the mixer interface and the routing matrix? In the Device-Tab there should be a button "Launch Quick Setup" - if you just want to use the ins and outs, choose "Audio Interface" and you should see all in/outs in logic.
Old 4th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
Would you mind following up the post, with what the repair was and any cost involved please.....

As I am in Australia, this sort of stuff is always a worry.

cheers

Wiz

No repair, the replaced it. They called me back and ask if I would like to cross -ship. I said yes, they put a charge for a new one on one of my credit cards and will take it off when they receive the failed unit. I already got the new one and it is up and going.

It was still under warranty so no charge other then shipping the old one back to them.

Very happy with the support I received.
Old 5th August 2016
Lives for gear

Well done, MOTU!
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quick question regarding the Mixer / routing to DAW...

Is there anyway to route a physical input (e.g. Analog 1-8, ADAT A / B on my Monitor 8) through the Digital Mixer with effects (gate, eq, comp etc) and then rout the outputs of these individual channels on to the DAW - i'm interested in seeing how easy it is to use the AVB mixer as an alternative to buying outboard.

I know that I can route the Main Mix, Monitor or any of the Aux busses on to the DAW, but there doesn't seem to be anything like a channel 'direct out' from the mixer channel strip - although I may well be blind!! I've gotten close to what I want by hijacking the Auxes as 'direct outs' e.g. Kick to Aux 1, Aux 1 to DAW 1, Snare to Aux 2, Aux 2 to DAW 2 etc, but this is a bit laboured...the manual does mention something about:-
Quote:
and postFX channel sends
(for sending processed inputs to the
computer or elsewhere).
but it's a single reference and assume it just means sends to groups / aux busses like i'm trying above
Obviously I can enable gate/eq and comp on individual inputs in the mixer, but when tracking in my DAW it is recording the signal before the channel strip, which makes sense.

I don't think what I'm asking is currently possible, but thought I would ask regardless. It would be a pretty neat feature if it was...
Old 9th August 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
Hi guys firstly thank you for your help with my previous question long time ago.

I have a Motu 8M which I am running with the latest version of logic pro X I am trying to root audio tracks from logic via the 8M to external hardware for processing then back into logic for recording i've tried using both the IO plug in and basic track input and output settings But so far nothing has worked. Do I have to set up hardware sends and receives on the 8M for this to work? Right now my 8M is set to the default can figuration If someone could please explain to me how to Set up logic x and the 8M for external hardware processing I would be extremely grateful Your help with this question would be most welcome kind regards trey.
Hi sound warrior,

I think what you may have to do is route the 8M in the web app. I have a 1248 and 24ao and had to do something similar. Essentially you must go to the routing matrix and make sure the analog I/O are routed to/from the computer I/O. For example you could set Analog Input 1 to Computer 1 and Computer output 1 (or 3 if you use 1 and 2 for monitoring) to analog output 1. Once you know which I/O corresponds to which Computer I/O you then use the hardware inserts with the corresponding computer I/O. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 9th August 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Quick question regarding the Mixer / routing to DAW...

Is there anyway to route a physical input (e.g. Analog 1-8, ADAT A / B on my Monitor 8) through the Digital Mixer with effects (gate, eq, comp etc) and then rout the outputs of these individual channels on to the DAW - i'm interested in seeing how easy it is to use the AVB mixer as an alternative to buying outboard.

I know that I can route the Main Mix, Monitor or any of the Aux busses on to the DAW, but there doesn't seem to be anything like a channel 'direct out' from the mixer channel strip - although I may well be blind!! I've gotten close to what I want by hijacking the Auxes as 'direct outs' e.g. Kick to Aux 1, Aux 1 to DAW 1, Snare to Aux 2, Aux 2 to DAW 2 etc, but this is a bit laboured...the manual does mention something about:-

but it's a single reference and assume it just means sends to groups / aux busses like i'm trying above
Obviously I can enable gate/eq and comp on individual inputs in the mixer, but when tracking in my DAW it is recording the signal before the channel strip, which makes sense.

I don't think what I'm asking is currently possible, but thought I would ask regardless. It would be a pretty neat feature if it was...
Ha! I was blind, After installing new firmware and drivers I decided to try buidling my setup from scrath, as opposed to using the 'Audio Interface + Mixing' template - I can now find the MixPost FX inputs on the mixer routing, I must not have seen these before because they are so far right - so it looks like these are effectively the direct outs, so I can rout these directly into Cubase...

Will have a wee play with this over the weekend!

Another question though, by default, the Mix inputs take their name i the mixer from the source that has been routed to them, however if you rename the mix input, it sensibly uses this name, but I can't see anyway to get it back to using the 'source' name... (e.g. reset this channel or something)

Ha! Figured that out to - if u delete name u entered it goes back to the source! Cool!

Last edited by gollumsluvslave; 9th August 2016 at 07:58 PM..
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac

A question to those who are using a Motu interface via TB on Windows: What TB adapter are you using?

My PC's motherboard is not equipped with TB, so I would have to purchase a PCIe TB adapter. There are not many models available. Is there anything I should consider when buying one?
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudaben View Post
My PC's motherboard is not equipped with TB, so I would have to purchase a PCIe TB adapter. There are not many models available. Is there anything I should consider when buying one?
It's not so simple as adding of some adapter.. generally a TB interface has to be directly supported by your CPU and motherboard.. That option card, you're referring to, which is offered by some manufacturers (like ASUS or Gigabyte), works only with specific MB models.. so be sure to read all of its description for supported models.

Michal
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

And add to that Gigabyte has the one and only (that I'm aware of) X99 motherboard that is TB 3 Certified. It has a USB-C port with its I/O that is supposed to support TB3 if installing the correct drivers. I am actually having terrible issues with this along with a new 6900k CPU and am RMAing both to try and sort this out. I have not been able to get my configuration up and running with the correct motherboard board drivers that support TB 3. Unfortunately my PC setup is currently dead in the water. Other motherboards come with either included TB cards or optional cards purchased separately that support specific motherboard models. As for now, TB 3 is buyer beware.
Old 11th August 2016
Gear Maniac

So there are no generic TB PCIe cards for PCs? Too bad.
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Well it is indeed too bad bermudaben..

I was seriously looking into buying two A16 units, but unfortunately my little Mac Mini is 3 years old and a bit under powered to run heavy sessions.
( Using a six core i7 w 16GB and FW currently with A&H GSR24M , rock solid )

Anyhow..I do know that current MOTU software can also do Ethernet !!

"Q: Can I connect my MOTU AVB interface directly to a Mac through its network port (to the network port on the Mac)?

A: Yes, both for web app control and for audio I/O (as an alternative to USB or Thunderbolt). The ability to do multi-channel audio I/O over an Ethernet connection to a Mac is a new feature introduced with firmware update 1.1.1. Here's how to set this up. In addition, a network connection to the Mac's network port can be used for firmware updates for your MOTU AVB interface(s) or switch(es). It is okay to have an Ethernet connection to your Mac alongside a USB or Thunderbolt connection to the Mac."

You should investigate if that would work on PC as well ???
They are super helpful peeps.

best luck
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
So there are no generic TB PCIe cards for PCs? Too bad.
Unfortunately, TB has to have support in CPU and chipset.. so generic card is non-sense.
Other thing is, TB has official support by MS only for the last generation of Skylake chipset.. eg. Z170 boards from last year onwards. Previous generations like Z97, Z87 with appropriate card might also work, but MS stated, Skylake is generally preferred.
What's your CPU and MB do you have..?

Anyway, beauty of higher models at MOTU AVB lineup is, that it's very versatile.. so you can use it right now via USB, with one of best performance around and up to 64 channels.
And after a dust settles down, you can upgrade your DAW and use it via Thunderbolt.

AVB mode just via Ethernet NIC is only supported at Mac OS X El Cap. and has already few limitations like no 44.1 based rates. I have no clue about performance, when using this connection, but I wouldn't be surprised, if USB mode will be better.

Michal
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

@lemix

Why you just don't use the USB? It should be possible to connect first A16 unit via USB and second unit via AVB to it. You don't even need AVB switch for such setup.
With two units, you should fit to 64 channel USB limit and don't be really concerned about previously mentioned sample rate limitations.

Michal
Old 11th August 2016
Lives for gear

>> Michal ;

It wasn't for my own setup which I am perfectly happy with.
That MOTU plan was to use 2 x A16's for a complete audio studio / FOH / broadcast facility upgrade, where I do not make purchasing and system integration calls. Too long too explain, sorry

good luck
Old 12th August 2016
Deleted User
I did not want to read over all 100 pages but I did do a quick search and did not find the answer to my question so here it goes

Ar I did not want to read over all 100 pages but I did do a quick search and did not find the answer to my question so here it goes

Are the 1248 and 16A the exact same in terms of conversion quality/ sonics?

Thanks
Old 12th August 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
A question to those who are using a Motu interface via TB on Windows: What TB adapter are you using?

I'm using a gigabyte mb with thunderbolt 3, I have a thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter. It is working well here.
Old 12th August 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
Are the 1248 and 16A the exact same in terms of conversion quality/ sonics?

Thanks
Yes they are. Both interfaces use the ESS Sabre 32 Ultra converters.

Specifications found here:

MOTU.com - Tech Specs

And here:

MOTU.com - Tech Specs

Dave
Old 15th August 2016
Here for the gear

If I buy a Motu AVB 16A, can I use my Ultralite AVB to add 10 more inputs? It's not explicitly stated anywhere online AFAICT

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search