The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 24th May 2016
Gear Head

Hello,
PLease help with this serious issue.

I am running Sonar Platinum on a windows 10 computer 16Gb Ram i7 intel.

I have a 16A running. Whenever I loop (repeated segments) I get a LOUD POP from my speakers as the loop ends and restarts.

This seems more prevalent when I am using a larger project (50+tracks etc) Frequent audio dropouts also experienced.

I tried playing with the buffer settings to no avail.
PLease help as I am worried that I may blow my speakers.

Thank you kindly.

MOTU 16A running latest firmare 1.2.7 w latest software as well.
Old 24th May 2016
Here for the gear

Received an updated driver from MOTU to test that seems to have solved my issue. The AVB software is getting better all the time. Just wanted to publicly say thanks to the MOTU team for their best work to date. The forum presence and constant improvements are much appreciated.
Old 24th May 2016
Here for the gear

does anyone know if there's a plan to make the OSC bi-directional?
Old 25th May 2016
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by shokzi View Post
does anyone know if there's a plan to make the OSC bi-directional?
+1
if there is something to say about that from motu, please give some information.
i have halted all my osc work, because osc does not get any attention until now.

please tell us when you have no plans to update/bugfix osc. i can then silently abandon this option for the future.

thanks for any input.
Old 26th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by demane22 View Post
I just picked up a 16A to do some testing on the windows side with the new thunderbolt drivers. I have 2 systems equipped with thunderbolt 2 ports, Asus Z87-DELUXE/QUAD & Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7 TH both running Windows 10. Will report back soon.
Did you already made some tests with the Asus Z87-DELUXE/QUAD?
Old 31st May 2016
Gear Maniac

A couple of probably stupid questions that I can't get an answer to...

1. What is the difference between a "Mix Group" and an "Mix Aux" in the internal mixer?

2. How do I send audio to the "Monitor" output? There is no slider or aux mix output for "Monitor" like there is for "Main" or mix Auxes.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by not like this View Post
A couple of probably stupid questions that I can't get an answer to...

1. What is the difference between a "Mix Group" and an "Mix Aux" in the internal mixer?

2. How do I send audio to the "Monitor" output? There is no slider or aux mix output for "Monitor" like there is for "Main" or mix Auxes.

Have you not read the manual? It explains all your questions rather well. Pages 21 & 26 covers both your questions.

MOTU 8M User Manual (Page 26 of 100)

It can be a little cumbersome, but i'd recommend spending a good amount of time going through it in addition to the routing guide tutorials on the main MOTU site. It took me a couple months to really get the hang of it, but once you master the routing grid and mixing section, the amount of possibilities is amazing.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
Have you not read the manual? It explains all your questions rather well. Pages 21 & 26 covers both your questions.

MOTU 8M User Manual (Page 26 of 100)

It can be a little cumbersome, but i'd recommend spending a good amount of time going through it in addition to the routing guide tutorials on the main MOTU site. It took me a couple months to really get the hang of it, but once you master the routing grid and mixing section, the amount of possibilities is amazing.
I was just looking for an answer to what I admitted were simple questions, not a lecture on doing my homework. I do fully understand the routing grid with those two exceptions. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 2nd June 2016
Gear Nut

I recently acquired an Ethernet hub. Since the main router is downstairs, I've had to place a wireless booster in the room. It does have an Ethernet port. I've connected the Ethernet switch to that booster, then the Mac and the 112D to the Ethernet hub. I can search for Firmware updates. But if I disable the WiFi on the Mac, I cannot get on the internet. Is there a way in which I must configure the Mac to make internet access through Ethernet possible?
Old 4th June 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
Before the upgrade I was able to reach the interface through the USB connected device using its ip-address and port 1280, or by the Motu AVB finder. Neither works after the upgrade. Get a no connected Motu AVB devices found error.
How did you sort this out ?
Old 5th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusss View Post
How did you sort this out ?
ATM I'm running a CAT5 to my 8M and accessing it directly.
Old 15th June 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm interested in buying one but i would love to hook it up in adat with my focusrite 18i20
Anyone did it successfully ?
Price is steep but it's an investment
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowl View Post
I'm interested in buying one but i would love to hook it up in adat with my focusrite 18i20
I have been using it with an Alesis HD24 for additional in/outs via litepipe. works great with no problems.
Old 15th June 2016
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drowl View Post
Not exactly the same but i have had a Focusrite Octopre mkII Dynamic hooked up via ADAT to my 16A with no problems at all.
Old 15th June 2016
I have a behringer ada8000 hanging off one of the ADAT IO's on my 16A feeding VUs and Phones... hasn't missed a beat.

cheers

Wiz
Old 15th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hi Wiz

How do run your A16 ? Thunderbolt / USB or Ethernet ?
Old 15th June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
Hi Wiz

How do run your A16 ? Thunderbolt / USB or Ethernet ?
Thunderbolt

cheers

Wiz
Old 17th June 2016
I own Ultralite AVB, happy so far. Does anyone know why the unit does not retain the preset you choose? I created my own preset in the internet app, it's available of course in the hardware, but everyday i have to select it in the hardware which keeps going with the audio interface preset while the internet app still showing my preset...

thanx guys
Old 20th June 2016
Gear Nut

Since downloading the beta ...602 driver, the sample buffer settings I had access to have now disappeared. Any ideas on what's caused this?
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
Since downloading the beta ...602 driver, the sample buffer settings I had access to have now disappeared. Any ideas on what's caused this?
For the Ultralite AVB the settings are now in the Discovery App (the web based GUI) and are called "Host Buffer Size" and "Host Safety Offset".
It's probably the same for the other models in the AVB series.
Old 20th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
For the Ultralite AVB the settings are now in the Discovery App (the web based GUI) and are called "Host Buffer Size" and "Host Safety Offset".
It is, indeed.
Old 24th June 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
I'm using the 112D. When I first started using ...602, those settings were visible. Now they're gone.
Old 24th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
I'm using the 112D. When I first started using ...602, those settings were visible. Now they're gone.
Load the latest beta firmware.
http://www.motu.com/avb/index.html#a...onal-resources
Old 26th June 2016
Gear Head

Netgear GS724Tv4 working finally!

After purchasing a Netgear GS724Tv4 (with an additional AVB license) more than a year ago and spending endless evenings trying to get it to work, I got so frustrated that I almost buried it in the garden...

As we were growing beyond the capabilities of cascading Motu-switches with our recording setup (the 1Gb link between the switches is a bottleneck in our setup @192kHz).
We tried to get a hold on a Extreme Networks X440 for testing (which is quite a hassle in the Netherlands), but when it finally arrived it was broken....

Last week I found that Netgear released a new firmware version for the GS724Tv4: 6.3.1.11
GS724Tv4 | Product | Support | NETGEAR
The same evening I found a new configuration protocol at BIAMP, stating that the switch would become AVnu compliant.
https://support.biamp.com/Tesira/AVB..._certification
They even provide a configuration file that you can download into your GS724.
https://support.biamp.com/@api/deki/...cfg?revision=1
I decided to spend one more evening, install the new firmware and follow the step-by-step configuration of Biamp.

We are running the latest v1.2.7 firmware versions on the Motu's and the latest v2.0 Thunderbolt/USB drivers.
Based on previous experiences, my hopes were not very high (understatement!)..
But to my surprise it works! For the first time it connects streams between devices stable. We hooked up everything we got, so far so good.
There are some (current) limitations:
- You cannot cascade a Motu switch (this limitation was also posted by Biamp)
- 'Mac Virtual Entity' mode does not work stable yet (it works for a few seconds and then looses the stream-connection, controlling the device still works)
- Changing sample-rates is not smooth (slaves do not sync correctly to the new setting)
We will keep on testing the coming week and post our findings.
End of the week we are also expecting a replacement Extreme Networks X460 for testing.

grT
Old 27th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Don't know if it's a bug, or purposeful, but the new input meter pre option has an infinite hold function that only clears by changing the selected AVB window. Gives the appearance of a feedback loop or resonance at a frequency outside of the hearing range.
I haven't noticed anyone else seeing this problem yet. I'm seeing it on two different systems, with different interface configurations. MOTU tech support are not seeing it when they look at my exported settings. There have been two updates since I started seeing it.

To describe further, any source that stops playing while the AVB mixer is offscreen leaves an infinite hold metered signal until the window is changed or more audio is played.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Hey Doug, I've got nothin' mate, but hope you're well, brother.
Old 28th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Hey Doug, I've got nothin' mate, but hope you're well, brother.
Thanks Monkey Man! Best to you!
Old 1st July 2016
Here for the gear

Hello everybody.
I've recently bought 1248 and everything works like a charm. But I'm worried about noise from main output when there is no audio. My previous ultralite mk3 didn't gave such noise level. Is it normal or i'm doing something wrong?
0Db level at motu, half of the volume on sub eve ts107 + MSP7. Reducing the volume level on the soundcard do not reduce that noise. Macbook pro early 2015, thunderbolt connection.
Old 1st July 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by devian View Post
Hello everybody.
I've recently bought 1248 and everything works like a charm. But I'm worried about noise from main output when there is no audio. My previous ultralite mk3 didn't gave such noise level. Is it normal or i'm doing something wrong?
0Db level at motu, half of the volume on sub eve ts107 + MSP7. Reducing the volume level on the soundcard do not reduce that noise. Macbook pro early 2015, thunderbolt connection.
Are you using balanced or unbalanced cables to speakers?
Old 2nd July 2016
Gear Maniac

So, after this time what's the real world veredict regarding windows and usb with large sessions, lots of virtual instruments and plugins?
I could work with 256 buffer.

I want to sell one of my mr816 and use a 24ao and the other m816 via adats for ins.

1. I want to know how is the stability and latency in large sessions (is it better than mr816 via firewire?)
2. I use usb controllers and a touchscreen, so usb bus could have conflicts.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search