The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 26th April 2016
Gear Maniac
Is anybody else experiencing pretty big latencies when tweaking the Eq with the new Graph feature? If I make changes in the Eq-graph, the response is slugish on the graphical side as well as sonically. It always takes half a second or so to make the actual changes, which is pretty annoying and pretty much impossible to work with it. I dont have this problem when tweaking the eq in the normal parametric mode, only when I edit it in the "graph-mode".

I'm controlling the mixer from my computer's browser (safari) which is connected to the interface with thunderbolt. Any ideas what might be the problem? Or is it just that badly programmed?
Old 28th April 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz_Oz View Post
This just started a couple of weeks ago for me as well.

I was trying to call MOTU this am.. but I am in Australia and its hard with the time zone difference.. and I tried for over an hour today and couldnt get an answer...

Also, my MOTU16 is racked, and I don't want to have to pull it out to get to the serial number to log a ticket.

Mine has been in use for over a year, thunderbolt. This started not last firmware update but the one before... Not saying thats the issue. just the time frame.

Crackles... reset clock goes away, is intermittent... happens in logic and also watching you tube etc. Some times with you tube, stopping the video and starting again gets it going again.

I just today, switched it over to USB to see if it cures it.... ITs a pain, cause I use the keyboard volume and mute controls..and USB doesn't do that.

Will let you know how I go...

anychance MOTU support can jump in here...?
cheers

Wiz
In the end , I upgraded to el capitan, and running latest driver and firmware all problems have gone.

cheers

Wiz
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Is anybody else experiencing pretty big latencies when tweaking the Eq with the new Graph feature? If I make changes in the Eq-graph, the response is slugish on the graphical side as well as sonically. It always takes half a second or so to make the actual changes, which is pretty annoying and pretty much impossible to work with it. I dont have this problem when tweaking the eq in the normal parametric mode, only when I edit it in the "graph-mode".

I'm controlling the mixer from my computer's browser (safari) which is connected to the interface with thunderbolt. Any ideas what might be the problem? Or is it just that badly programmed?
Try using Firefox, and see if that makes any difference. I couldn't get Safari to work with AVB unless I connected an Ethernet cable.
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
Try using Firefox, and see if that makes any difference. I couldn't get Safari to work with AVB unless I connected an Ethernet cable.
Yeah I changed to Chrome and the problem is gone. Thanks!
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Yeah I changed to Chrome and the problem is gone. Thanks!
That didn't work for me either. I had to stick with Firefox.
Old 2nd May 2016
Gear Maniac

I updated my 1248 to the latest firmware and now I'm getting white noise during playback. It goes away temporarily if I futz with the word clock settings.

Anyone else experience anything like this? Proposed solutions?
Old 2nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Nothing like that here on my 1248. You can always roll back to the old firmware, right?
Old 2nd May 2016
Here for the gear

Curious if other Pro Tools users are having issues with the new 1248 drivers.

After updating to the 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 AVB driver, I start seeing AAE -6101 errors in Pro Tools 12 HD. This is essentially a CPU overload error code. Even at maximum buffer settings (1024 samples), I see the error. Previously the same Pro Tools sessions ran without issue on the 1.0.7 driver. I have confirmed this on both Yosemite and El Capitan with PT HD 12.4 and 12.5. My machine is a late 2013 Mac Pro 6 core with 64GB RAM and dual D700s. Session files reside on an external USB3 7200RPM drive with a transfer rate measured around 150MB/s read and write. My 1248 has produced the error with the last two latest revisions of firmware. I have submitted PTX files, PT prefs folder, and video to MOTU via tech link. The case is still unresolved and has been submitted to engineering for review.

In an effort to make things easy on MOTU for troubleshooting, I was able to repeatably trigger the error under the following conditions with stock PT plugins:

Update to either 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 driver with latest 1248 firmware. Set buffer to 128 samples (though it also occurs at a 1024 buffer) With no plugin load I am unable to reproduce errors. By adding several instances of Avid Channel Strip on every track until processor load reaches around 30% I immediately achieve the AAE -6101 error. If I remove a row of Channel Strip plugins to reduce CPU load somewhat, I can repeat the error again. I can continue this process until CPU load is below some indeterminate threshold - maybe 15%??? If I reinstall the 1.0.7 driver, restart, and repeat the steps above, I am unable to get PT to throw the AAE-6101 error under the same circumstances.

In the meantime I'm cruising along with the old 1.0.7 driver. I'm hoping this will be fixed in future updates.

So am I the only one with this issue or are any of you seeing it as well?
Old 3rd May 2016
Gear Head

Hello All, I am experiencing an odd situation; hope others can shed some light on.

I am running a 16A via Windows 10. I am also using an ipad wirelessly via network. I am able to connect about 50% of the time. Other times, I get the "No Motu Devices found" message on my ipad. I suspect that there may a sequence problem; perhaps the sequence of how I turn units on???

I suspected perhaps that the firewall may be an issue...yet like I said, without modifications, the unit is recognised roughly 1/2 the time. The local host access is always ok.

Another interesting fact is that in some cases, it is recognised after about 1-2 minutes, after I ask for the device on ipad.
Any ideas?
thanks!
Old 3rd May 2016
Here for the gear
New AVB Mac and Win Drivers Released!

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know what MOTU has just released AVB driver updates for both Mac and Windows systems. The new Pro Audio driver with Windows Thunderbolt support is now available for download at MOTU.com/download. The new high-performance driver includes massively improved round trip latency (RTL) for both Thunderbolt and USB on Mac and Windows. Enjoy!
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you, Brian!

Any news on ethernet performance on the Mac? Just checking 'cause I'm in the process of purchasing the DB-25 snakes I'll need for my almost-paid-for AVB system, which, because I'll be using 80 or so inputs for (outboard synths mainly), I'll be running into a Sonnet e-net card on a 2012 Mac Pro Tower.

Any news whatsoever regarding CPU-hit specs, performance improvements, latency tweaks etc. will be most welcome...
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

Whew! That's the news I've been waiting for!!! Thanks motu.

It's sad but I've been doing ctrl+r on this page over and over ever since the announcement came out.

Everything works well so far even though I'm using tb2 which isn't officially supported by ms.

Last edited by jlaws; 4th May 2016 at 03:55 AM..
Old 4th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaBrain View Post
Curious if other Pro Tools users are having issues with the new 1248 drivers.

After updating to the 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 AVB driver, I start seeing AAE -6101 errors in Pro Tools 12 HD. This is essentially a CPU overload error code. Even at maximum buffer settings (1024 samples), I see the error. Previously the same Pro Tools sessions ran without issue on the 1.0.7 driver. I have confirmed this on both Yosemite and El Capitan with PT HD 12.4 and 12.5. My machine is a late 2013 Mac Pro 6 core with 64GB RAM and dual D700s. Session files reside on an external USB3 7200RPM drive with a transfer rate measured around 150MB/s read and write. My 1248 has produced the error with the last two latest revisions of firmware. I have submitted PTX files, PT prefs folder, and video to MOTU via tech link. The case is still unresolved and has been submitted to engineering for review.

In an effort to make things easy on MOTU for troubleshooting, I was able to repeatably trigger the error under the following conditions with stock PT plugins:

Update to either 1.0.8 or 1.0.9 driver with latest 1248 firmware. Set buffer to 128 samples (though it also occurs at a 1024 buffer) With no plugin load I am unable to reproduce errors. By adding several instances of Avid Channel Strip on every track until processor load reaches around 30% I immediately achieve the AAE -6101 error. If I remove a row of Channel Strip plugins to reduce CPU load somewhat, I can repeat the error again. I can continue this process until CPU load is below some indeterminate threshold - maybe 15%??? If I reinstall the 1.0.7 driver, restart, and repeat the steps above, I am unable to get PT to throw the AAE-6101 error under the same circumstances.

In the meantime I'm cruising along with the old 1.0.7 driver. I'm hoping this will be fixed in future updates.

So am I the only one with this issue or are any of you seeing it as well?
Status update: Tried the new firmware and v2 beta driver in hopes of a fix. No change. I'm rolling back to v1.0.7 again.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmyr View Post
Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know what MOTU has just released AVB driver updates for both Mac and Windows systems. The new Pro Audio driver with Windows Thunderbolt support is now available for download at MOTU.com/download. The new high-performance driver includes massively improved round trip latency (RTL) for both Thunderbolt and USB on Mac and Windows. Enjoy!
I'm looking forward to reading feedback on what RTL people are experiencing on Windows using Thunderbolt.

What is the A2ARTL analog to analog roundtrip latency in the following scenario.

Analog input on a networked remote interface through the AVB switch to another host interface, through a Windows DAW via thunderbolt and out again to the remote interface at 96kHz with 32 and/or 64samples.

Previously Analog to Analog RTL through the DAW via Thunderbolt on a Mac at 96kHz 32samples was 1.4ms.

Introduced latency on the interfaces
A/D - 12 samples
FPGA In - 4 samples
FPGA Out - 4 samples
DSP - 6 samples
Network over upto 7 hops - 30 samples
D/A - 6 samples

Interested to see what the improvements are.

Enoch
Old 4th May 2016
Here for the gear

I'd like to request that an uninstaller be added to the driver package for Mac. As of v2 beta, it is no longer possible to simply install an older version of the AVB drivers over the update in the event a roll back is required. As my testing with v2 was unsuccessful, I attempted to rollback to 1.0.7 last night which is the last known stable driver for me. I was unable to do so successfully by running the 1.0.7 installer from the archive on MOTU.com and had to resort to a Time Machine backup which took several hours for recovery. Apparently some of the new extensions are named differently or written to different directories which makes a simple overwrite fail. Adding an uninstall script to the driver package would eliminate this headache going forward and greatly simplify the rollback process in the event that it is necessary.
Old 4th May 2016
Gear Nut
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I just wanted to let you know that MOTU has "repackaged" the Pro Audio Installer for Mac to include an uninstall script. Windows users may uninstall the drivers if need be in the "Programs and Features" area of the Control Panel.
Please let us know if you have any further concerns.

Travis - MOTU
Old 4th May 2016
Lives for gear

The TravMan's on the ball. Thank you on behalf of MediaBrain, mate.

You invited further concerns to be shared, and this isn't exactly a concern, but any word regarding this?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Thank you, Brian!

Any news on ethernet performance on the Mac? Just checking 'cause I'm in the process of purchasing the DB-25 snakes I'll need for my almost-paid-for AVB system, which, because I'll be using 80 or so inputs for (outboard synths mainly), I'll be running into a Sonnet e-net card on a 2012 Mac Pro Tower.

Any news whatsoever regarding CPU-hit specs, performance improvements, latency tweaks etc. will be most welcome...
Old 5th May 2016
Here for the gear

Travis

Overall new driver seems a bit more efficient in Pro Tools 12.4 at smaller buffers (128).

ejinbc

Last edited by ejinbc; 7th May 2016 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: can not reproduce crash with new session.
Old 5th May 2016
Here for the gear

Wow that was fast. Thanks so much for adding the uninstaller.
Old 5th May 2016
Here for the gear

The new drivers are not working very well with USB on my Windows 10 x64 machine. I can change buffer sizes but after a short period of time there is a hiccup (echo) then extreme latency is introduced. I switch to another buffer size same thing. Everything is great fro a little while then I get the echo and extreme latency.
Went through all buffers sizes up to 128, they all do it.
Old 5th May 2016
Gear Maniac

My noise problem seems to be gone with the latest firmware update.

Just installed the "high speed AVB drivers".

Holy smokes. You guys aren't messin' around here.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-screen-shot-2016-05-05-12.47.25-pm.png  
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not like this View Post
My noise problem seems to be gone with the latest firmware update.

Just installed the "high speed AVB drivers".

Holy smokes. You guys aren't messin' around here.
Is this on Thunderbolt? Mac or pc?
Old 6th May 2016
Gear Maniac

Yes, Thunderbolt.

Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Is this on Thunderbolt? Mac or pc?
Old 6th May 2016
Lives for gear

Has anybody tried out the new TB drivers on Windows?
Old 7th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Has anybody tried out the new TB drivers on Windows?
I am waiting for an adapter to be available for thunderbolt 3.
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajunkie View Post
I am waiting for an adapter to be available for thunderbolt 3.
I know of this one but there may be others out there too.

StarTech TBT3TBTADAP Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt Adapter
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

I'm on the to drivers for Windows. Working fine so far, decent latency, although not as good as when I'm on Mac, but still tb speeds.
Old 7th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
I'm on the to drivers for Windows. Working fine so far, decent latency, although not as good as when I'm on Mac, but still tb speeds.
Do you happen to have any RTL measurements? The documentation for the new TB drivers indicates 1.6 ms on Mac and 1.9 ms on PC, both at 32 samples of buffer at 96k. Those are pretty great latencies. I'm curious if anybody is achieving these kinds of numbers in the real world? What motherboard/chipset/cpu are you using in your PC?

I'm considering picking up the 16a but TB latency and driver stability on PC are the biggest deciding factors for me. It would be great to hear that the new TB driver is performing well for guys on PC.
Old 7th May 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
I know of this one but there may be others out there too.

StarTech TBT3TBTADAP Thunderbolt 3 USB-C to Thunderbolt Adapter

That wont be released until June.

Kanex has one the will ready this month apparently.

I have both on preorder.
Old 7th May 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Do you happen to have any RTL measurements? The documentation for the new TB drivers indicates 1.6 ms on Mac and 1.9 ms on PC, both at 32 samples of buffer at 96k. Those are pretty great latencies. I'm curious if anybody is achieving these kinds of numbers in the real world? What motherboard/chipset/cpu are you using in your PC?

I'm considering picking up the 16a but TB latency and driver stability on PC are the biggest deciding factors for me. It would be great to hear that the new TB driver is performing well for guys on PC.
This is worse than the initial 1.4ms advertised RTL for Thunderbolt on MAC. I thought the new drivers were meant to improve latency. However it is still in beta
so there is hope.

Enoch

Last edited by KimGitz; 10th May 2016 at 05:01 AM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search