The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 1st January 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post
I like the abuse!

Do you know how many pages we're into this thread???

tl;dr +75

Sorry I didn't mean to be a jerk. I just got frustrated.

Here's to a happier New Year!!!
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Nut

Figuring out the correct thunderbolt cable to buy was a major p.i.t.a. when I switched to the Macbook Pro to run the 16A about 4 months ago. With all the options, and none of them explicitly separating themselves as the obvious right pick, I made an educated guess and got this one. (plus the added benefit of free shipping, in case that's relevant to somebody who isn't me)

Robot Check

For whatever it's worth, i've never lost the signal more than one time in that 4 months, and has been all I needed to validate the decision to ditch the PC.
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Maniac
where is the update? can't find anywhere T_T
Old 2nd January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
where is the update? can't find anywhere T_T
MOTU.com - Driver Download Links and Change Log - MOTU Hardware
Old 2nd January 2016
Gear Maniac
thanks a bunch. for reference, the glitches are happening no more in my 10 min tests in el captain . if u wanna try, i suggest backing it up first though (i didn't do it first time, and it caused me a lot of head ache hehe). many thanks!
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Head

MOTUs adoption of Thunderbolt and thr rumored Windows compatibility with TB has been sketchy to say the least. Lynx has Thunderbolt for Windows.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

^^^ I've not had issues to speak of with the 16a over usb (Windows 8.1) fwiw. TB in the Windows environment really hasn't caught on. I'm looking forward avb card support, that would be diamonds imo.
Old 4th January 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
^^^ I've not had issues to speak of with the 16a over usb (Windows 8.1) fwiw. TB in the Windows environment really hasn't caught on. I'm looking forward avb card support, that would be diamonds imo.
Ya using that device over USB and not Thunderbolt is a deal breaker for me.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azorahai View Post
Windows PC's? I really don't know of anyone running thunderbolt on that platform. USB 3.0/2.0 is the most common interface you see these days and 2.0 happily sports enough bandwidth for most audio needs. Long story short no need to worry.
Old 4th January 2016
Happy New Year everyone! Sorry for being AWOL (just got back from my postponed honeymoon!)

Anyone who was having issues with pops and clicks on El Capitan should upgrade to the latest driver we released last week. That driver includes fixes specifically for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj31 View Post
Hey guys, I'm trying to get a headphone mix set up, and want to route some stuff to different Auxes. I can set up Aux 1 and Aux 2 just fine, but when it comes to the rest, no dice. I have it set up just like the rest, but the Auxes aren't getting any signal.

Any suggestions?
Check that aux 3+ are not muted in the mixing board? A screenshot is worth a thousand words. Tech support should be able to get you going really quickly over the phone as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolang96 View Post
Hi guys! Ive run out of ideas.... My 16a is awesome, but one major issue is im getting lots clicks and pops. It only happens in USB mode. my mac pro doesnt support thunderbolt. Ive tested it through my laptop via thunderbolt and the clicking went away!! Then switched to USB on laptop and clicking came back. So its happening on multiple computers only in USB mode. Tends to only happen in 88.2kHz as well. This is my second unit as well, i got a replacement to see if it would fix the issue, but it has not!!! Anybody have any ideas or experienced this?
Hmm! Do you have any other devices connected via USB? Which port(s) did you try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post
Hello all,

I have the 24ai and 24ao, the AVB router, and will be receiving the 1248 in the next week or so. I have a macbook pro that's a couple of years old, running Lion.

According to MOTU's website, ethernet audio requires Yosimite. However, if I connect the 1248 via thunderbolt and then distribute ethernet from the 1248 via the AVB router to the 24ai and 24ao, would that configuration also require Yosimite? If so, I'll have to install El Capitan, as Yosimite is no longer available- a move I'd rather not make, give the recent bug reports.

MRMiller, would you mind commenting on this?
The Yosemite requirement is only if you want to connect the interface with your computer directly via AVB over ethernet, not if you'll be using Thunderbolt or USB. From our perspective, the latest driver fixes the last outstanding issues with El Capitan but I can understand your reluctance to upgrade given the trouble it's caused with everyone's hardware and software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogossen View Post
Merry Christmas!
My first post here: "could not communicate with device" is my issue. I´ve read this thread from start to end and i find it very precious.
2014 i bought the 8M but didnt use it very often, partly because of this problem. 2015 i bought stage-B16 and was ready to use the gear in real life.
Along the way i was hoping the updated drivers would fix my problem with this Communication problem, but sadly not.
I'm about to send you a PM to collect some debugging info. We're hard at work trying to solve this one. Thanks for your patience! For now, try connecting directly via ethernet and the IP address. That should be rock solid. The issue has to do with the USB web server proxy.
Old 4th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Happy New Year everyone! Sorry for being AWOL (just got back from my postponed honeymoon!)

Check that aux 3+ are not muted in the mixing board? A screenshot is worth a thousand words. Tech support should be able to get you going really quickly over the phone as well.
Yep, I was able to get that figured out. Totally my fault. I completely missed the Aux strips at the far right of the mixer. Works like a champ.
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Did you see me, Mr. M? Did you see me?

I was swingin' from the ceiling fan while you were... um... never mind.

Carry on.
Old 8th January 2016
Here for the gear

I currently have a Monitor 8 that was plagued with the infamous lost connection bug. I run a 5 year old windows 7 i7-quad system. The mixer would cut out every little while. Sometimes it was an hour, other times like 5 minutes. It was driving me crazy. I called tech support, they told me not to use the motu as the default device. This didn't help. I was getting ready to return it after about 3 weeks of troubleshooting but it seems that all of a sudden all is working great, no mixer connection issues in the last three days, while even using the motu as my default soundcard for everything.

This is what I've changed:

1. Turned HPET off in bios.
2. Went into BIOS and changed my power scheme(in BIOS) from balanced to high performance.
3. Started using Internet Explorer for the mixer using the IP number as a shortcut not the MOTU AVB Webui Setup shortcut. Google chrome is used for any concurrent internet tasks. IE is only used for the mixer.
4. I have both the USB and network cable connected. Iphone/Ipad has also been stable.

I'm not exactly sure which one of these steps had the effect or if they all are needed, but it's working and I'm not about to mess with a winning combination. Good luck to you all.
Old 8th January 2016
Here for the gear

Also,

As far as the convertors go, my current convertors were an Apogee psx-100 routed digitally through a RME 9632 card. I can say that the Motu has much more detail/sparkle or air in it. The bass seems a little more precise also. It is a definite improvement to my current sound. I have a well treated room with both yamaha and genelec monitors.
Old 13th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I do. I have a thunderbolt 2 card built in with my Intel 6 core(12 virtual) I7. I just sit here and wait for all my promised drivers or someone telling me their 16a is magical
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azorahai View Post
Why? Are you worried about performance or something else?
Old 17th January 2016
Gear Maniac

For me personally it is the near zero latency, for which i don't want to use usb, which is why thunderbolt appeals to me. I am tired of rerouting and turning off plugs when recording.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by basmartin View Post
Thanks, I´ll take a look at that next time. The update banner is only visible when the ethernet cable is connected simultaneously with the tb cable. If I disconnect the tb cable, the connection is lost completely. That seems to be a little bit weird. Using OS X 10.10.03...
Nope, can´t get it to work through ethernet. I remember that I could use the 1248 as an audiointerface via ethernet before but that doesn´t work anymore. If I type "http://1248.local." it can´t open that page.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope, can´t get it to work through ethernet. I remember that I could use the 1248 as an audiointerface via ethernet before but that doesn´t work anymore. If I type "http://1248.local." it can´t open that page.
Ah, made some progress when I resetet it to factory default via the display on the interface, then I could update. Now on the other hand, the 1248 won´t show up as a driver on my computer. I´ll reboot at come back...

edit: now it´s seems up and running, but the 1248 doesn´t show up while connected only through ethernet. I thought that was a feature? And also used to work that way.

Last edited by basmartin; 18th January 2016 at 08:21 PM..
Old 18th January 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
Ah, made some progress when I resetet it to factory default via the display on the interface, then I could update. Now on the other hand, the 1248 won´t show up as a driver on my computer. I´ll reboot at come back...

edit: now it´s seems up and running, but the 1248 doesn´t show up while connected only through ethernet. I thought that was a feature? And also used to work that way.
Hello basmartin,

Here are a few things for you to try to determine where the problem is coming from:

• Check the ID page on the front panel, and see if there is a valid IP address. If so, type that address in any browser to access the webapp. If not, let's make sure your physical connection is good (if there's no IP address, then there will be no communication via Ethernet cable). Also, do you not see your 1248 in MOTU AVB Discovery app?

• Sounds like you are trying to use the 1248 as an audio interface only using the Ethernet cable. If so, let's make sure your 1248 is enabled (checked) and ready to be used as an AVB device in Audio MIDI Setup. Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup > Network Device Browser. If it is already enabled, make sure at least (1) input and output stream is enabled in the webapp.

For more information on how to set up your 1248 as an audio interface over Ethernet, please refer to the following knowledge base article: MOTU.com - Using AVB Ethernet to connect to a Mac

Let us know how everything goes. If you need an immediate support, please reach out to us at 617.576.3066 or MOTU.com - Tech Support.

MOTU Tech
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroyrock View Post
I do. I have a thunderbolt 2 card built in with my Intel 6 core(12 virtual) I7. I just sit here and wait for all my promised drivers or someone telling me their 16a is magical
Windows? Hackintosh?

I'm running in Windows via USB. I did have a little hiccup that was resolved with a bios setting. I can't hear any latency issues at the moment. My 16a seems pretty magical so far.
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Windows? Hackintosh?

I'm running in Windows via USB. I did have a little hiccup that was resolved with a bios setting. I can't hear any latency issues at the moment. My 16a seems pretty magical so far.
Care to share the BIOS setting you tweaked?
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Care to share the BIOS setting you tweaked?
posted a little ways back. 'turbo mode' turn it off. i've read disabling HPET but my bios didn't have that option.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11537764-post2176.html
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

Thank you! Might be some help to others.
Old 19th January 2016
Lives for gear

HPET is also in your windows device manager for those who don't have a bios option.
Old 23rd January 2016
Here for the gear

Anyone see this video from Namm? Pop out graphic eq and compressor! Thanks MOTU! Starts around the 11 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/-a7ZAiNWk4c

Cheers,

Kanary Productions
Old 23rd January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanaryProduction View Post
Anyone see this video from Namm? Pop out graphic eq and compressor! Thanks MOTU! Starts around the 11 minute mark.

https://youtu.be/-a7ZAiNWk4c

Cheers,

Kanary Productions
Greetings from NAMM! We've got lots of new stuff including graphical readouts for the EQ and compressor in the mixer. We've also got password protection, a lock button in the router and some AVB compatibility improvements among other changes. Coming soon to an interface near you via firmware update!

If any of you are around NAMM tomorrow, come swing by and say hi!
Old 23rd January 2016
tft
Gear Nut

nice! looks like we are getting some touchfriendly interfacing for the avb mixer.
it's about time

now give us a reverb that is worth calling it that and remove the toy we have at the moment :D

greetings to namm! have a good time!
Old 24th January 2016
Gear Maniac

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I can't find the answer...

How does the Stage-B16 compare to the 1248? Are they the same Pres? same converters?

If not how do they compare with each other? I have a 1248 and would like to consider adding a Stage-B16.
Old 24th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTU Tech View Post
Hello basmartin,

Here are a few things for you to try to determine where the problem is coming from:

• Check the ID page on the front panel, and see if there is a valid IP address. If so, type that address in any browser to access the webapp. If not, let's make sure your physical connection is good (if there's no IP address, then there will be no communication via Ethernet cable). Also, do you not see your 1248 in MOTU AVB Discovery app?

• Sounds like you are trying to use the 1248 as an audio interface only using the Ethernet cable. If so, let's make sure your 1248 is enabled (checked) and ready to be used as an AVB device in Audio MIDI Setup. Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup > Network Device Browser. If it is already enabled, make sure at least (1) input and output stream is enabled in the webapp.

For more information on how to set up your 1248 as an audio interface over Ethernet, please refer to the following knowledge base article: MOTU.com - Using AVB Ethernet to connect to a Mac

Let us know how everything goes. If you need an immediate support, please reach out to us at 617.576.3066 or MOTU.com - Tech Support.

MOTU Tech
Thanks for the link! Of course, had it set to 0 input and 0 output of strems... Thought that it only had effect when connecting more AVB units... Thanks again, appreciate the help!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search