The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 16th December 2015
Gear Nut

Hello all,

I have the 24ai and 24ao, the AVB router, and will be receiving the 1248 in the next week or so. I have a macbook pro that's a couple of years old, running Lion.

According to MOTU's website, ethernet audio requires Yosimite. However, if I connect the 1248 via thunderbolt and then distribute ethernet from the 1248 via the AVB router to the 24ai and 24ao, would that configuration also require Yosimite? If so, I'll have to install El Capitan, as Yosimite is no longer available- a move I'd rather not make, give the recent bug reports.

MRMiller, would you mind commenting on this?

Thanks,
John

Last edited by johnbomb; 17th December 2015 at 02:35 AM..
Old 17th December 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post
Hello all,

I have the 24ai and 24ao, the AVB router, and will be receiving the 1248 in the next week or so. I have a macbook pro that's a couple of years old, running Lion.

According to MOTU's website, ethernet audio requires Yosimite. However, if I connect the 1248 via thunderbolt and then distribute ethernet from the 1248 via the AVB router to the 24ai and 24ao, would that configuration also require Yosimite? If so, I'll have to install El Capitan, as Yosimite is no longer available- a move I'd rather not make, give the recent bug reports.

MRMiller, would you mind commenting on this?

Thanks,
John
driversupport for thunderbolt starts from osx 10.8
Old 17th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbomb View Post
if I connect the 1248 via thunderbolt and then distribute ethernet from the 1248 via the AVB router to the 24ai and 24ao, would that configuration also require Yosimite?
It'll work fine, and doesn't require Yosemite. If you also connect the AVB Switch to your local network it will make performing Firmware upgrades on all three units a breeze, plus you will be able to access them from any other device on the network (e.g. iPad etc)
Old 17th December 2015
Gear Nut

Thanks Billy Budd- good to know.

John
Old 17th December 2015
Gear Nut
Is the Black Lion Mod worth it? I am trying to improve my ad/da conversion for mix bus otb processing with the 1248
Old 17th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsi View Post
MOTU AVB Audio 1.5 is not completely immune to dropouts when opening the webpage from the desktop icon. However, it was suggested by MOTU that I connect via ethernet and just type the IP address of the hardware unit into the web address bar, and there are no more dropouts. I now leave both USB and ethernet permanently connected between my 112D and laptop.
I think I will go back to this as well, as it was rock solid when I did this setup initially - getting tired of losing the AVB mixer (which wont see the 1248 until I restart it, even though audio is unaffected) whenever I connect something else to the usb buss
Old 17th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
Is the Black Lion Mod worth it? I am trying to improve my ad/da conversion for mix bus otb processing with the 1248
Try it and let us know
Old 17th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Try it and let us know
I'd be interested to learn about it too and if it makes an improvement. But I'm more interested in understanding what you'd measure to quantify the improvement.
Old 17th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
I'd be interested to learn about it too and if it makes an improvement. But I'm more interested in understanding what you'd measure to quantify the improvement.
Your ears and your wallet, ha ha
Old 17th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Your ears and your wallet, ha ha
Both of those are seriously flawed.
Old 18th December 2015
Here for the gear

[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the reassurance, Mr Miller. We've been here before and I truly appreciate it.

It concerns me 'though when folks who've got rock-solid performance using TB switch, for whatever reason, to USB on the same machine and experience clicks and pops, which subsequently disappear when switching back... on Mac Pros such as mine.

Monkey man! so youre experiencing clicks and pops on USB too???
Old 20th December 2015
Lives for gear

No, mate... at least, not yet. LOL

Just seeking reassurances as I'm 1 small payment away from 2 x 16Ai and a 16A, which will be run over USB on a Mac.

Thanks for asking bro'.
Old 23rd December 2015
Gear Maniac
Just one last notes about my tests.

1248 + macbook pro retina 2013 through thunderbolt

Yosemite -> no glitches and pops noticed yet at buffer of 32.

El captain -> Glitches, pops, and minimum buffer of 512.
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post

Wow!
That's a HUGE difference.
Hopefully it gets fixed soon.
Old 23rd December 2015
Here for the gear

My christmas Motu wishlist:

"nanolite" AVB - as previously mentioned last year. A small unit with 2 in, 2 out + headphones and AVB to be used per player in a session (a bit like the new focusrite AM2)

AVB Studio control surface - 16 fader bank (perhaps with modular add-on units!), transport control (think ssl nucleus / avid s3), AVB hub (for connecting other AVB devices), 2 thunderbolt ports (so we can daisy-chain to other thunderbolt devices), monitor outputs, native talkback features, headphone outputs, throw in a hi-z/line in for good measure. This device could be used multi-layer to control the AVB mixer features and DAW control.

Please, Motu Claus, make it happen.
Old 24th December 2015
My group just put an album recorded and mixed entirely on MOTU 16As and DP (except the song Super State done 2408 mkIIIs).

iTunes

Spotify

BandCamp
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-cn.sc.coverthumb.jpg  
Old 24th December 2015
Gear Nut

I've tried using Audio Desk 4.0, but it isn't easy. I couldn't figure out how to get audio to play backwards. I want a powerful software sampler, and its been suggested I buy Mach Five v3 and an ILOK, plus 8GB of RAM for my Lenovo laptop (Windows 7 Enterprize 64bit, Service Pack 1). Any thoughts on these? I want to be able to manipulate sounds/samples with timestretch/comp, reverse playback and map sounds across a keyboard; and trigger virtual instruments and samples using my Roland FA06 synth.
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

I've mentioned in the past on the forum that I have not had any dropouts with the mixer. I need to make note here that I originally put the IP address of my 16a into a web browser, saved it as a bookmark, and I have used that link ever since. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 24th December 2015
Here for the gear

Merry Christmas!
My first post here: "could not communicate with device" is my issue. I´ve read this thread from start to end and i find it very precious.
2014 i bought the 8M but didnt use it very often, partly because of this problem. 2015 i bought stage-B16 and was ready to use the gear in real life.
Along the way i was hoping the updated drivers would fix my problem with this Communication problem, but sadly not.

If i leave the web pages with mixer, routing or whatever in the background and dont touch it, then after about 15-20 minutes the Communication is lost and the MOTUAVBHTTPServer is stopped. I can start it again and after 30 seconds it is up and running again.
I have disabled USB selective suspend and disabled screensaver and other things (yes i use windows) but that dont help.
I have tried my Equipment on five different computers, both laptop, Intel NUC and Tower workstations (HP Z230), win7 and win8 pro. Updated drivers. Same problem on all...

I have used MOTU 896 mk3 and 8 pre without major problems and am about to buy a new laptop to use with my new Equipment but need some advise from you all and maybe mr miller: should i convert and buy an iMac or take a chance and continue with a laptop with windows? Or even sell my new Equipment and continue with the old reliable Firewire gear?

I find this issue so sad because i really like MOTU...
Old 25th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiogossen View Post
<<"could not communicate with device" is my issue. >>

<< after about 15-20 minutes the Communication is lost and the MOTUAVBHTTPServer is stopped. I can start it again and after 30 seconds it is up and running again.>>

<<sell my new Equipment and continue with the old reliable Firewire gear?

I find this issue so sad>>
my issue as well (windoze 7), though i am not able to restart the server without rebooting the computer.

my unit is fast becoming a very expensive paperweight, as i am forced to use my rock solid firewire interfaces from 2009 if paying clients are involved.

this is my first MOTU purchase, and it has not been a good experience. i would have liked support to offer something a bit more in depth than "have you tried a different USB cable?" and "have you tried to restart the the stopped service?"
Old 26th December 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post

I just filed a support ticket with Motu before coming here. I have this same exact problem after updating. Here is what I sent to Motu support...
Ever since upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan I have been noticing pops and crackles while tracking. The pops and crackles get recorded to disk.

My Motu 1248 is connected via TB.

I usually have my projects set to 96k. When set to 96k, the only thing that spares me from the crackling is setting the buffer to 1024. Any lower buffer setting causes crackling. I used to be able to go as low as 64 with zero crackling. Setting to 32 would result in an occasional crackle. However, after the update I am getting crackling much often even at 512.

I tested at 48k, and I can only go as high as 512 before pops and cracks appear.

The crackling happens even with no plug ins enabled. It happens when I am recording a lone guitar with no other tracks. I have tested with live drums (4 tracks) and experienced the crackles and pops too.

The only other thing that has changed is I updated my Motu AVB discovery application after I updated to El Capitan.

This aggression will not stand, man.
Old 26th December 2015
Here for the gear

Could not communicate with device...
We are a few poor fellows with this problem, at least in this forum.
Rafter Man, DesertDome, Kirky, D.gauss, magoostus, GGPS and probably more... How is your status in this?

My workaround as for now, which i found in this forum somewhere, dont remember who wrote it (mr miller?):
Since i am able to restart MOTUAVBHTTPServer and continue working i change the properties of this service.
Under the tab Recovery:
First failure: Restart Service
Reset fail Count after 0 Days
Restart service after 0 minutes

This gives me a work pause of 8 seconds everytime the service stops. :-)
This makes it bearable and i will give MOTU a chance to solve this issue and restore my confidence in their normally excellent Equipment. I´ll buy a new PC laptop soon and make some long term tests to see if its reliable enough for my recordings.

I am using both Internet Explorer and Firefox. The sound is never affected when this happen. Input sound, output sound and the recorded sound is perfect. It is the Control over the Equipment that stops working. Annoying enough!
Old 27th December 2015
Gear Addict

status not good. poor fellows we are indeed. at least $1500 dollars poorer it seems. thanks for the workaround idea. will try it to see how that works for now, though i am unable to restart the service from control panel when it stops.

Quote:
Rafter Man, DesertDome, Kirky, D.gauss, magoostus, GGPS and probably more... How is your status in this?

My workaround as for now, which i found in this forum somewhere, dont remember who wrote it (mr miller?):
Since i am able to restart MOTUAVBHTTPServer and continue working i change the properties of this service.
Under the tab Recovery:

This makes it bearable and i will give MOTU a chance to solve this issue and restore my confidence in their normally excellent Equipment. I´ll buy a new PC laptop soon and make some long term tests to see if its reliable enough for my recordings.

I am using both Internet Explorer and Firefox. The sound is never affected when this happen. Input sound, output sound and the recorded sound is perfect. It is the Control over the Equipment that stops working. Annoying enough!
Old 27th December 2015
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
can't use a buffer setting under 512 without stutter/click/pops...
On Windows 7 you should be able to fix that by setting your power profile to high performance and disabling HPET in your BIOS.
Old 27th December 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

Under the tab Recovery:

I got the 16A about a year ago while I was still working with a Windows 7 PC, and my best work around for the "Could not communicate with device" error message was to always keep the Task Manager window active since I could fix this issue in a matter of seconds a good 90% of the time it would occur. From Task Manager, I would go to the "Services" tab and find MOTUAVBHTTPServer, right click, and reactivate it. Then instead of using the Web UI app icon, I would simply just add the url link as a favorite in Chrome and go straight in that way. Not 100% successful, but it was good enough to avoid those hugely distracting and demoralizing stoppages to productivity. Over time, for reasons I cannot explain, the issue would happen less and less, until it seemed to happen only in the days immediately following new firmware updates, ironically.

Even though I acquired the 16A to run through a PC, I always had the intention of upgrading to a Macbook Pro down the road mainly to take advantage of having Thunderbolt connectivity. I'm now using a Macbook Pro Retina i7, 16Gb RAM, and just the sheer processing power aside, everything from the MOTU interface to that of my DAW, Cubase Pro 8, just seem to work better and more efficient without having to always be consciously aware of making sure I limit the number of open applications, keeping web browser tabs to a minimum, and constantly changing my buffer size to keep up with the situation. I also noticed that through the Mac, there's even an extra control on the "Device" tab of the MOTU web interface that gives you "Computer Volume Control" so that I can boost or attenuate the volume of the hardware through the OS X, which I didn't have in Windows and was kind of a pain to work with at times since I would use the 16A for everything audio related, which requires a lot of tweaking depending on if i'm "working" on the PC or just watching videos/listening to music for leisure. But most importantly, I now have maybe 2-3 instances (that I can recall) of any kind of interruptions total in the past 4 months with the Mac, while before with the PC, the longest I would go before topping 2-3 interruptions would've been just a few weeks at best. So i'm sold on going with the Mac for anything Pro Audio and DAW related from here on out.

Not the cheapest solution, nor ideal for a lot of people, but I can however vouch for it being a worthwhile change if it's something somebody is considering to help quell their MOTU woes at least.
Old 27th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
On Windows 7 you should be able to fix that by setting your power profile to high performance and disabling HPET in your BIOS.
nada. not an option in my bios. as an aside, i can [email protected] all day via firewire on 24 channels of echo audiofire in/out with no issues.
Old 27th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
my best work around for the "Could not communicate with device" error message was to always keep the Task Manager window active since I could fix this issue in a matter of seconds a good 90% of the time it would occur. From Task Manager, I would go to the "Services" tab and find MOTUAVBHTTPServer, right click, and reactivate it. Then instead of using the Web UI app icon, I would simply just add the url link as a favorite in Chrome and go straight in that way. Not 100% successful,
sadly, i am never able to restart the service without a total reboot. i.e. zero percent successful. i, too have the url as a bookmark and keep taskmanager open.
Old 28th December 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli View Post
I just filed a support ticket with Motu before coming here. I have this same exact problem after updating. Here is what I sent to Motu support...
Ever since upgrading from Yosemite to El Capitan I have been noticing pops and crackles while tracking. The pops and crackles get recorded to disk.

My Motu 1248 is connected via TB.

I usually have my projects set to 96k. When set to 96k, the only thing that spares me from the crackling is setting the buffer to 1024. Any lower buffer setting causes crackling. I used to be able to go as low as 64 with zero crackling. Setting to 32 would result in an occasional crackle. However, after the update I am getting crackling much often even at 512.

I tested at 48k, and I can only go as high as 512 before pops and cracks appear.

The crackling happens even with no plug ins enabled. It happens when I am recording a lone guitar with no other tracks. I have tested with live drums (4 tracks) and experienced the crackles and pops too.

The only other thing that has changed is I updated my Motu AVB discovery application after I updated to El Capitan.

This aggression will not stand, man.
hello. i am sad and sorry for u, but happy that it is not related to my hardware / usage exclusively hehe.

I believe it's a apple driver problem i/o motu`s driver; however, motu should clearly point out that problems should occur in this condition.... as the driver was released after el captain, i thought it shouldn t be a problem, but it doesn't seem so.... if u have any update by your side, can u share with me? thanks
Old 28th December 2015
Gear Head

You guys on Macs running El Capitan and using Thunderbolt need to file a support ticket with MOTU, if you haven't already. I had similar issues, and they were able to help.
Old 28th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
You guys on Macs running El Capitan and using Thunderbolt need to file a support ticket with MOTU, if you haven't already. I had similar issues, and they were able to help.
How did you fix it? I've had issues with pops and crackles. Had to set the buffer to 2048 and freeze all my tracks to get the last few final mixes out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search