The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

I just came across someone else confused by a fact I noticed immediately with the AVB line pieces I've used (16A and Monitor 8). IT is impossible to do a unity gain loop test given the input/output gain architecture. You can get closer by turning the input gain up 1dB, but it's still inexact. The 16A and Monitor 8 each differ in the exact gain relationship for a full scale signal source too, the two boxes are not the same as each other. It'd be great if each of these had a unity setting available in software such that a balanced cable looped output to input would give exactly a unity gain result.
Old 28th November 2015
Gear Nut
There's a new driver!

It's perfoming well in my configuration Win8 64bit, I strongly recommend it!
Old 28th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
There's a new driver!

It's perfoming well in my configuration Win8 64bit, I strongly recommend it!
via usb? no connection dropouts?
Old 28th November 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
via usb? no connection dropouts?
Yes, It's USB connected.
Much better than 1.4
No dropout
Old 28th November 2015
Lives for gear

About using the MOTU 16A as a digital patcbay (instead using a hardware patchbay)

Example:
Hardware Synth Sound -> 16A AD -> 16A DA to Hardware Processor -> 16A AD -> 16A DA to Pedal Effect -> 16A AD to DAW
or
Hardware Synth Sound -> Patchbay -> Hardware Processor -> Patchbay -> Pedal Effect -> Patchbay ->16A AD to DAW

With the 16A the sound goes through 3 AD stages and 2 DA stages.
This is 5 conversion stages, sound degradation? Time delay?

With a hardware patchbay the sound goes through Pachbay Bantam IN/OUT connections 3 times.
Sound degradation?

Which option degrades the sound more... (assuming same quality and length of cables...)
Of course with internal digital patchbay there is no soldering to do, cables to strip... but what about sound quality? Other issues?
Old 1st December 2015
Gear Maniac
New Osx update available!
Let's see if that fixes some of my UI-Lags and hickups...
Old 1st December 2015
only via the motu software for now it seems, nothing on the site, so no info on what's new
Old 3rd December 2015
Gear Head

So... nothing from Motu regarding the new firmware? Just checked the website. Is there a better place to get info? I'm reluctant to upgrade right away unless I'm having a problem it will fix, and I'm not having any problems.

*Edit - found the changelog

v1.2.4+1023 (Release Date 2015-12-01)

Improved clock stability when locked to external clock sources.
Improved web API to support clients that include 'connection: close' in the header of http requests.
Improved AVB interoperability support for Biamp Tesira.
Fixed ADAT optical bank B at 2x sample rate (Monitor 8 only).
Fixed web app UI issues.
Old 3rd December 2015
Here for the gear

Installed 1.2.4+622 and there are still problems with my unit (24 ao & ai).

Sometimes there are digital glitches / sync error sounds in playback, you restart the them and it's gone.

Recently it also freaks out on wordclock when you need to change sample rate and both units fails to sync with my external clock and makes horrible digital noise every 30 mins or so.

When is this issue going to be dealt with? I'm truly frustrated and disappointed with your product.
Old 4th December 2015
din
Gear Maniac

Quote:
still having this happen. frustrating. anyone else?
Yep, having this problem too. Windows7, Pro Tools 10.3.7.
Old 5th December 2015
Gear Maniac
glitches in logic pro x + motu 1248

hello. i just purchased a motu 1248 to work with my macbook pro retina late 2013. i am facing glitches issues if the latency in logic pro x if the buffer size is less than 512!!

Has anyone faced this?

in this new motu 1248 i can't find the clock of the unit too... where is it located?
Old 5th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
About using the MOTU 16A as a digital patcbay (instead using a hardware patchbay)

Example:
Hardware Synth Sound -> 16A AD -> 16A DA to Hardware Processor -> 16A AD -> 16A DA to Pedal Effect -> 16A AD to DAW
or
Hardware Synth Sound -> Patchbay -> Hardware Processor -> Patchbay -> Pedal Effect -> Patchbay ->16A AD to DAW

With a hardware patchbay the sound goes through Pachbay Bantam IN/OUT connections 3 times.
Sound degradation?

Which option degrades the sound more... (assuming same quality and length of cables...)
Of course with internal digital patchbay there is no soldering to do, cables to strip... but what about sound quality? Other issues?
Well, you're going through multiple stages of AD and DA so the sound you get out isn't identical to the sound you got in. Should be VERY close though. Going through an analog unbalanced patch bay may add even more noise though. We're talking about VERY minor effects at this level.

Each trip through the interface will also add some small amount of latency. Since you're not going through the computer it's pretty small but each stage adds a little bit. Those 5 stages of conversion will add less than ~80 samples, but I don't have the exact numbers on hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michaeltn86 View Post
hello. i just purchased a motu 1248 to work with my macbook pro retina late 2013. i am facing glitches issues if the latency in logic pro x if the buffer size is less than 512!!

Has anyone faced this?

in this new motu 1248 i can't find the clock of the unit too... where is it located?
That doesn't sound normal! How is the interface connected to your laptop?

The clock setting is available from the Device tab in the web app. If you haven't already, check out motu.com/avb. It's got a bunch of resources and getting started material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by din View Post
Yep, having this problem too. Windows7, Pro Tools 10.3.7.
Can you describe which problems you're encountering in more detail? I'm working with jin167 off-thread to resolve the issues. PM me and let's see if we can resolve this for you ASAP!
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Have to say, when deciding what new interface to buy,one of the key elements for me was seeing the impressive hands on support of mrmiller. Impressive. It said a lot to me about the service of the company. I had been reading the Antelope thread about the Orion, but the interaction was a little defensive for me. I can also see that MOTU have a history of updating drivers for legacy hardware, which is a huge part of RME's reputation too. 16a purchased accordingly!!

Last edited by dxavier; 5th December 2015 at 12:05 PM..
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Well, here's the update I promised a long while back:

Almost finished paying off the lay-buy for the 16A and 2 x 24Ai deal I organised 6 months ago.

Been following the thread, of course, and I have to say that the jitters I was experiencing prior to arranging the purchase haven't subsided. My PCI-based MOTU systems (324, 424, 424x) have performed flawlessly since 1999 with zero issues and simple, logical monitoring via the various flavours of CueMix over the years.

My Mac won't accommodate TB, so the plan has been to run the units over USB2, exploiting the full 64-channel count available.

I suspect I need not explain my apprehension. The only thing at this point that I can imagine ameliorating said feeling is an announcement of either a PCI card that'll connect the AVB line to the 'puter (not an AVB-capable ethernet card, but a dedicated, proprietary one that somehow guarantees the glitch-free performance I'm accustomed to), or an alternate line of the interfaces that pairs with such a card, something akin to the previous PCI-based one but with the mega converters.

The bottom line for me is that my system ain't broke and never has been, and as much as the far-superior converters have messed with my mind (big-time!), dealing with ongoing interruptions, clicks, pops, loss-of-awareness-of-interface problems and so on simply can't be worth the increase in AD/DA quality. At least, this is how things appear from where I'm sitting.

Having been a die-hard, rusted-on MOTU fan since the '90s, this is a painful situation to find myself in. Do I wait for a system such as the one I outlined to appear? Is MOTU able to guarantee performance equivalent to its PCI system I'm accustomed to? The wholesaler certainly isn't; I've been informed that returns will not be accepted, so I can't even test the system with my rig. Even if all appeared well after testing, the likelihood of an OS update or some other upgrade's affecting the reliability of the AVB system appears, from where I'm sitting, to be infinitely greater than that associated with my trusty PCI-based system, which, as I said, has produced not a single glitch through perhaps 8 Mac upgrades and all OS and software updates from OS9 through to OS10.9.

Thoughts, reassurances, guarantees, suggestions and indeed any counselling offered will be eagerly consumed, digested, and appreciated!

Thanks guys. You all rock.
Nicky

Last edited by Monkey Man; 5th December 2015 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: 24ai corrected to 24Ai
Old 5th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Have to say, when deciding what new interface to buy,one of the key elements for me was seeing the impressive hands on support of mrmiller. Impressive. It said a lot to me about the service of the company. I had been reading the Antelope thread about the Orion, but the interaction was a little defensive for me. I can also see that MOTU have a history of updating drivers for legacy hardware, which is a huge part of RME's reputation too. 16a purchased accordingly!!
+1
That was part of my decision to purchase the MOTU Ultralite AVB.
Also the rep from Audient hangs out here as well and answers questions and escalates support requests.

People tend to underestimate the importance of after purchase support until something goes amok and they are unable to get decent support or worse yet they encounter defensive and even hostile support people.

Been there and done that so these days when I'm considering a new gear purchase I head to the forums and see what the problems are but more importantly how the users are getting treated. If I don't get a warm fuzzy I look elsewhere.
Old 6th December 2015
Here for the gear
Quick question, setup is Windows 7 with motu 16a linked via Ethernet to 24ao.
Using cubase...
How do I set this up to give me 40 outs and 16 in?
Old 6th December 2015
Here for the gear
On another note, these converters are top draw. I've had the 16a for a while now, no problems. Lovely sound.
Old 6th December 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeel View Post
Quick question, setup is Windows 7 with motu 16a linked via Ethernet to 24ao.
Using cubase...
How do I set this up to give me 40 outs and 16 in?
Assuming the 16a is the unit connected to your PC:

On the 16A:
set Number of Output Streams to 3

Under Computer Setup, make sure From computer to device is set to 40 (or more)

In the Routing grid, map From Computer (USB) channels 17-40 to AVB Stream 1 1 through to AVB Stream 3 8

Save as a Preset
On the 24Ao:
activate the Preset Studio Output Expander

check that Number of Input Streams is set to 3 (should be for this preset)

set the source for Input Stream 1 to 16A:1, Input Stream 2 to 16A:2, Input Stream 3 to 16A:3

...that should do it.

Last edited by Billy Budd; 6th December 2015 at 12:11 PM..
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Maniac
[QUOTE=mrmiller;11524039]

That doesn't sound normal! How is the interface connected to your laptop?

The clock setting is available from the Device tab in the web app. If you haven't already, check out motu.com/avb. It's got a bunch of resources and getting started material.

hello mr miller. connected via thunderbolt. tried many things but glitches still happenings. would like to send a video for u. can u pm me a gmail mail? i will send u a video showing the problem

now i am trying in other daws...
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Maniac
Well, i found the problem about the glitches. probably it's a bug from the driver.

When u use phones + main outputs + monitors in the routing from computer 1 and 2 for stereo purposes, MOTU 1248 kind of conflicts itself.

to make the glitches go away u need to unselect and select again all options (it can be the same options that u selected before).

not sure why this happens, but if someone face the same problems as i, the solution is actually very simple.

but still, very annoying and i was worried to death that it was a hardware failure (i am a brazilian and bought it in USA).

if anyone faces same problem, please pm me and i will try to help u.

for reference purposes, i am using motu 1248 with thunderbolt to a Macbook pro retina late 2013.

the sound is amazing, a very big improvement over my 828x....
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Maniac
another note, when the 1248 has no glitch issues, the latency (128 buffer size) is 3.2 round trip, while when it's glitching is above 4.

i also noted that closing the avb app helps to improve latency (it doesn't matter if you open it later again)....

hope this is helpful for someone.
Old 7th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Yes, It's USB connected.
Much better than 1.4
No dropout
not for me. today within 5 mins of install new 1.5 driver install, got "can't connect to device" message in browser app. same as before. not a happy camper here.

because of the holiday i may have missed my chance to return the 16a. really hope i'm not now stuck with a $1500 paperweight.
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

mrmiller, any plans for windows avb ethernet card support in the near future?
Old 8th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Last startup, Monitor 8 locked up again, no sample rate changes occurred.
Latest firmware update, 2nd unit in chain still locking up on every power cycle. 9 solid startup bars sit there stationary, no ripple effect at all. Mysterious in that it's been 100% this way for awhile, but for the longest time it wasn't a problem.
Old 9th December 2015
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post

Example:

Sound degradation?

If you care about sound quality do NOT do this. Making this many passes through ADDA is not a wise choice if it can be avoided. Take a minute of your time and just chain the damn things together directly! I have plenty of short cables specifically for this purpose.
Old 9th December 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
not for me. today within 5 mins of install new 1.5 driver install, got "can't connect to device" message in browser app. same as before. not a happy camper here.

because of the holiday i may have missed my chance to return the 16a. really hope i'm not now stuck with a $1500 paperweight.
Sorry for that.

I have Asus PC Win 8.1 64 bit, AVB Ultralite. I can easily reach 64 buffer with one Kontakt Virtual Instrument, If I want more I have to be safer on buffer (128 or more).
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
If you care about sound quality do NOT do this. Making this many passes through ADDA is not a wise choice if it can be avoided. Take a minute of your time and just chain the damn things together directly! I have plenty of short cables specifically for this purpose.
Old 9th December 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Sorry for that.

I have Asus PC Win 8.1 64 bit, AVB Ultralite. I can easily reach 64 buffer with one Kontakt Virtual Instrument, If I want more I have to be safer on buffer (128 or more).

since i "updated" to 1.5 driver, my 16a won't stay connected to mixer app for longer than 10 mins. with version 1.4, it was anywhere between 5 mins and 2 hours.
extremely frustrating, as i have to reboot the whole computer just to be able to change the headphone mix. have not been able to use this device in a paid client situation yet as it isn't reliable enough.

i'm listening motu, please tell me what i need to do to fix this.
Old 9th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
Well, here's the update I promised a long while back:

Almost finished paying off the lay-buy for the 16A and 2 x 24Ai deal I organised 6 months ago.

Been following the thread, of course, and I have to say that the jitters I was experiencing prior to arranging the purchase haven't subsided. My PCI-based MOTU systems (324, 424, 424x) have performed flawlessly since 1999 with zero issues and simple, logical monitoring via the various flavours of CueMix over the years.

My Mac won't accommodate TB, so the plan has been to run the units over USB2, exploiting the full 64-channel count available.

I suspect I need not explain my apprehension. The only thing at this point that I can imagine ameliorating said feeling is an announcement of either a PCI card that'll connect the AVB line to the 'puter (not an AVB-capable ethernet card, but a dedicated, proprietary one that somehow guarantees the glitch-free performance I'm accustomed to), or an alternate line of the interfaces that pairs with such a card, something akin to the previous PCI-based one but with the mega converters.

The bottom line for me is that my system ain't broke and never has been, and as much as the far-superior converters have messed with my mind (big-time!), dealing with ongoing interruptions, clicks, pops, loss-of-awareness-of-interface problems and so on simply can't be worth the increase in AD/DA quality. At least, this is how things appear from where I'm sitting.

Having been a die-hard, rusted-on MOTU fan since the '90s, this is a painful situation to find myself in. Do I wait for a system such as the one I outlined to appear? Is MOTU able to guarantee performance equivalent to its PCI system I'm accustomed to? The wholesaler certainly isn't; I've been informed that returns will not be accepted, so I can't even test the system with my rig. Even if all appeared well after testing, the likelihood of an OS update or some other upgrade's affecting the reliability of the AVB system appears, from where I'm sitting, to be infinitely greater than that associated with my trusty PCI-based system, which, as I said, has produced not a single glitch through perhaps 8 Mac upgrades and all OS and software updates from OS9 through to OS10.9.

Thoughts, reassurances, guarantees, suggestions and indeed any counselling offered will be eagerly consumed, digested, and appreciated!

Thanks guys. You all rock.
Nicky
I got my first Mac in 1999 and a MOTU 2408 about 4 months later. Rock solid set-up that I ran on OS9 through 2006.
Went to a Pro Tools rig after that until earlier this year when I went back to MOTU with a 16A. Ran it over Thunderbolt with a 2011 MBP and over USB with a 2010 iMac, rock-solid performance on both.
Bought a cyber-Monday 2014 MBP last week to upgrade from my dual core i5 to a quad core i7. Looking forward to using the 16A with the new dual Thunderbolt2 arrangement. Thunderbolt = PCI for me.
Old 10th December 2015
Here for the gear

Hey guys, is anybody using the 16a via USB? Ive been having issues with clicks and pops. Mainly at 88.2khz. Cant seem to figure it out for the life of me. Been talking with tech guys at motu for a couple weeks now doing troubleshooting. Even got a replacement unit, didnt fix the issue!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search