The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 15th November 2015
  #2101
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoostus View Post

Yes, the apple thunderbolt -> ethernet adapter is AVB compliant and will pass audio to your mac!

Something to note. CPU usage is significantly higher when using AVB so I wouldnt reccomend using it unless the MOTU is farther away than a USB or thunderbolt cable will reach.

USB is the simplest and has lower latency and lower cpu usage than AVB

Thunderbolt has the lowest latency
Good to know, thanks! I was under the impression that AVB would have lower latency than USB.
Old 15th November 2015
  #2102
Gear Addict
 

in the mixer panel for 16a, where are the faders to control the main outs volume? i.e. outputs 1 & 2? all i see are 20db trims for outputs, but no faders. am i missing something?
Old 16th November 2015
  #2103
Gear Nut
 
Rafter Man's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
in the mixer panel for 16a, where are the faders to control the main outs volume? i.e. outputs 1 & 2? all i see are 20db trims for outputs, but no faders. am i missing something?
That depends on how you're routing it. Firstly, faders are on the Mixing tab. Along with Monitor, Main Mix is a permanent fixture, so you can't miss it.

Also, assuming you're talking about From Computer 1 & 2, these are considered inputs, therefore, sending From Computer 1 & 2 to your monitor speaker analog outs means you wouldn't be able to control volume with the faders in the Mixing tab. The only way to do that would be to have your From Computer 1 & 2 inputs "mixed in" to the Mix In section of Outputs (as seen in the Routing tab) and then route wherever you sent this to your monitor speaker analog outs. Only then can you move the faders on your From Computer 1 & 2 inputs and attenuate or increase the signal.

If that's too much to process, then you need to read the entire manual, watch the videos, read the tutorials on the MOTU site, and just play with the entire web user interface until you can relate all the cause and effect relationships.

It took me about a month until I got through everything and had it generally all figured out.
Old 16th November 2015
  #2104
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
Also, assuming you're talking about From Computer 1 & 2, these are considered inputs, therefore, sending From Computer 1 & 2 to your monitor speaker analog outs means you wouldn't be able to control volume with the faders in the Mixing tab. The only way to do that would be to have your From Computer 1 & 2 inputs "mixed in" to the Mix In section of Outputs (as seen in the Routing tab) and then route wherever you sent this to your monitor speaker analog outs. Only then can you move the faders on your From Computer 1 & 2 inputs and attenuate or increase the signal.

that seems waaay convoluted. all i want to do is connect the 16a directly to some active monitors bypassing my monitor controller so i can hear the converters. obviously need attenuation so signal isn't full bore... hence looking for faders...
Old 17th November 2015
  #2105
Gear Addict
 

anybody else having "could not communicate with driver" errors in the control panel page? sometimes my mixer panel does this after 10 mins, sometimes after an hour. setup is: 16a on win 7, via USB, using chrome. have the "motuhttp" service set to automatic in windoze, but it still stops randomly and i have to reboot computer and 16a to get all back up.
Old 18th November 2015
  #2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
that seems waaay convoluted. all i want to do is connect the 16a directly to some active monitors bypassing my monitor controller so i can hear the converters. obviously need attenuation so signal isn't full bore... hence looking for faders...
If you just want to attenuate the analog outputs, check the Device tab. Below the input gain sections there are knobs for every output under "Output Settings."
Old 18th November 2015
  #2107
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
If you just want to attenuate the analog outputs, check the Device tab. Below the input gain sections there are knobs for every output under "Output Settings."
it's only a -20db trim is it not? -infinity would be preferable...
Old 18th November 2015
  #2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
it's only a -20db trim is it not? -infinity would be preferable...
It depends. The Phones, Main Outs and Monitor outs support from -infinity to 0dB. Everything else is -20dB to 0dB as you say.
Old 19th November 2015
  #2109
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
anybody else having "could not communicate with driver" errors in the control panel page? sometimes my mixer panel does this after 10 mins, sometimes after an hour. setup is: 16a on win 7, via USB, using chrome. have the "motuhttp" service set to automatic in windoze, but it still stops randomly and i have to reboot computer and 16a to get all back up.
still having this happen. frustrating. anyone else?
Old 19th November 2015
  #2110
Gear Nut
 

Possible Bug

Hey Mr. Miller!!

I left my motu 16a on connected to my iMac for about 2 weeks straight, maybe even 3 weeks.

device is hooked through USB only, and when I went to adjust the mixer, nothing would happen. I could see the levels in blue moving up and down, but when I pressed mute or did anything the webinterface would appear to opperate, but the device wouldnt mute at all, very odd.

Tried with firefox and safari. same thing

then I went to save my preset and this error occurred "Could Not communicate with device, bad context (code 500)" appeared. Immediatly afterwards the whole web interface stopped working completely and I couldnt even bring it up anymore

this whole time I was playing audio through USB and it was sounding find,

anyways, I power cycled the device and now everything is working again.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-screen-shot-2015-11-19-12.05.32-am.png  
Old 20th November 2015
  #2111
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by magoostus View Post
Hey Mr. Miller!!

I left my motu 16a on connected to my iMac for about 2 weeks straight, maybe even 3 weeks.

device is hooked through USB only, and when I went to adjust the mixer, nothing would happen. I could see the levels in blue moving up and down, but when I pressed mute or did anything the webinterface would appear to opperate, but the device wouldnt mute at all, very odd.

Tried with firefox and safari. same thing

then I went to save my preset and this error occurred "Could Not communicate with device, bad context (code 500)" appeared. Immediatly afterwards the whole web interface stopped working completely and I couldnt even bring it up anymore

this whole time I was playing audio through USB and it was sounding find,

anyways, I power cycled the device and now everything is working again.
I encounter that problem every second time I use the unit. So annoying. I'm restarting all the time and the start up time of these interfaces is not short
Old 20th November 2015
  #2112
My connection is solid over USB to OSX 10.9.5, with one exception - when I plug something else into the usb buss on my mac pro tower (2008), the AVB mixer & app lose the connection to the 1248, requiring a restart to see the interface again - audio flow is not interrupted...

also have some issues with the AVB mixer not updating properly with mutes/solo - for example I will unmute something and it will look like it has happened on the GUI, but still no sound comes through until I reclick the button several more times (the graphical state does not always match the actual routing on the 1248)...

Last edited by Hardtoe; 20th November 2015 at 04:36 PM..
Old 20th November 2015
  #2113
Gear Addict
 

i'm also having some problems when i change sample rates. :(
is there a way to have a non browser-based mixer control? seems overkill if you are only using one unit and not remotely, especially given all the dropped connection problems i'm having.
Old 22nd November 2015
  #2114
tft
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
i'm also having some problems when i change sample rates. :(
is there a way to have a non browser-based mixer control? seems overkill if you are only using one unit and not remotely, especially given all the dropped connection problems i'm having.
you can change the samplerate via the buttons on the front, and the lcd menu.
check the manual regarding that.
Old 23rd November 2015
  #2115
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
you can change the samplerate via the buttons on the front, and the lcd menu.
check the manual regarding that.
yep, knew that. but not the issue. it was freezing in whatever rate it currently was. would have to reboot to correct.
Old 24th November 2015
  #2116
Gear Addict
 

btw, how come the 16a doesn't come with a thunderbolt cable? after all my pc USB driver dropped connection issues, i had a friend come over with a macbook to see how well that worked...
with no included t-bolt cable, it was a non-starter. doh!
may be time to return this puppy as i can't get anything rock stable/dropout free below 256 buffer setting on usb/pc @44.1k. :(
by comparison, my two audiofire 12's run without a hiccup at 128 via firewire under fairly heavy loads.
Old 25th November 2015
  #2117
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
I am happy to report, that I received the Sonnet Presto Gigabit Pro PCIe card today and that AVB-ethernet is working in my Mac-Pro 5.1 as promised!
The exact Sonnet Part# that has the Broadcom chip is GE1000LAB-E, the previous GE1000LA-E version will not work (intel chipset).

Can you explain why and how you are using this card? I have the same setup (USB to mac pro 5.1 westmere) and hooked up my 16a yesterday and it seems to have access to the control grid without the card.. Will this pcie card add extra functionality to my setup?

Many thanks in advance if you can offer any advice here.
Old 25th November 2015
  #2118
Here for the gear
 

bump
Old 26th November 2015
  #2119
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbang View Post
Can you explain why and how you are using this card? I have the same setup (USB to mac pro 5.1 westmere) and hooked up my 16a yesterday and it seems to have access to the control grid without the card.. Will this pcie card add extra functionality to my setup?
I am running multiple devices at 192kHz only. The AVB-Ethernet interface provides a higher channel count than over USB and the latency is lower.

One thing to be aware of is that currently OSX 'exclusively lock's' the connected devices. This means that your routing must run through the Mac.
Old 26th November 2015
  #2120
Gear Nut
Does anyone happen to know if the MOTU 1248 has digital or anolog routing within the box? Basically I would like to know chaining hardware together, for example, output(motu) ->Compressor -> input(motu) -> output -> mixer is the same as going directly from the compressor to the mixer. I am just wondering if this requires another DAC/ADC conversion or if the hardware somehow routes using analog
Old 26th November 2015
  #2121
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
I am running multiple devices at 192kHz only. The AVB-Ethernet interface provides a higher channel count than over USB and the latency is lower.

One thing to be aware of is that currently OSX 'exclusively lock's' the connected devices. This means that your routing must run through the Mac.


Thank you. So in my humble set up 16a - mac pro 5.1.. the ethernet link will drop the latency? this will prove vital with monitoring and hardware inserts, yes? I do some tracking but mostly mixing.

I've no plans for more devices, but if I get improvements in these areas, it's worth installing...

Just trying to figure out if I need the PCIe card, or if I should sent it back for refund...

Happy Thanksgiving from London!
Old 26th November 2015
  #2122
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
I am running multiple devices at 192kHz only. The AVB-Ethernet interface provides a higher channel count than over USB and the latency is lower.

One thing to be aware of is that currently OSX 'exclusively lock's' the connected devices. This means that your routing must run through the Mac.
Also.. If I hook it up with the ethernet cable, do I remove the USB cabling?

Thanks

Just got this thing and it sounds brilliant.. After 5 years with an Orpheus, it's like a breath of fresh air.
Old 26th November 2015
  #2123
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellofishy View Post
Does anyone happen to know if the MOTU 1248 has digital or anolog routing within the box? Basically I would like to know chaining hardware together, for example, output(motu) ->Compressor -> input(motu) -> output -> mixer is the same as going directly from the compressor to the mixer. I am just wondering if this requires another DAC/ADC conversion or if the hardware somehow routes using analog
It has zero-latency routing (see manual page 69) but I'm pretty sure that it will go through the conversion stages as follows:

mixer -> DAC -> Output -> Compressor -> Input -> ADC -> mixer
Old 26th November 2015
  #2124
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbang View Post
Also.. If I hook it up with the ethernet cable, do I remove the USB cabling?

Thanks

Just got this thing and it sounds brilliant.. After 5 years with an Orpheus, it's like a breath of fresh air.
Yes, you remove your USB cable if you use AVB-ethernet (similar to when you would use thunderbolt).

Yes, latency is better on AVB-ethernet compared to USB.
I am running modified MP4.1 with two AVB-ethernet cards currently, cpu load is a little higher than on USB.

We have been running the Motu-AVB interfaces for more than a year in various applications (live-PA, tracking, mixing etc). It is the best value for money product available, with pristine audio quality. AVB networking opened new workflow possibilities that before, we could only dream of.. Support has been great (thanks mrMiller!)

cheers from the Netherlands
Old 26th November 2015
  #2125
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
Yes, you remove your USB cable if you use AVB-ethernet (similar to when you would use thunderbolt).

Yes, latency is better on AVB-ethernet compared to USB.
I am running modified MP4.1 with two AVB-ethernet cards currently, cpu load is a little higher than on USB.

We have been running the Motu-AVB interfaces for more than a year in various applications (live-PA, tracking, mixing etc). It is the best value for money product available, with pristine audio quality. AVB networking opened new workflow possibilities that before, we could only dream of.. Support has been great (thanks mrMiller!)

cheers from the Netherlands
I've hooked it up and it's recognized by the AVB Interfaces Mix GUI, but the sound card is not recognized in Audio MIDI Setup...

so just getting sound out of the MP's internal speaker... reboot?
Old 26th November 2015
  #2126
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbang View Post
I've hooked it up and it's recognized by the AVB Interfaces Mix GUI, but the sound card is not recognized in Audio MIDI Setup...

so just getting sound out of the MP's internal speaker... reboot?
yes reboot will help, the 16A needs to 'negotiate' with OSX.
please open your 'Network Device browser' in Audio MIDI Setup (it is in the window tap) and activate the device. It will then show up in your audio devices.
Old 26th November 2015
  #2127
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balijon View Post
yes reboot will help, the 16A needs to 'negotiate' with OSX.
please open your 'Network Device browser' in Audio MIDI Setup (it is in the window tap) and activate the device. It will then show up in your audio devices.
Ack... I've found the problem. I running OS X 10.8.5, and the Audio Midi setup has no Network Device tab yet... Does it only appear in OS X 10.10?

I am stuck in 10.8.5 because I use PT 10.3.10, and from what I know 10.8.5 is the furthest I can upgrade my OS X to for this version... I will have to see if I can run this version of PT in 10.10 then try again...
Old 26th November 2015
  #2128
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbang View Post
Ack... I've found the problem. I running OS X 10.8.5, and the Audio Midi setup has no Network Device tab yet... Does it only appear in OS X 10.10?

I am stuck in 10.8.5 because I use PT 10.3.10, and from what I know 10.8.5 is the furthest I can upgrade my OS X to for this version... I will have to see if I can run this version of PT in 10.10 then try again...
Do you think this work around is sound?

How To Install Pro Tools 10.3.10 on Yosemite 10.10 or Higher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt-S7p0n6g4
Old 26th November 2015
  #2129
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbang View Post
Ack... I've found the problem. I running OS X 10.8.5, and the Audio Midi setup has no Network Device tab yet... Does it only appear in OS X 10.10?

I am stuck in 10.8.5 because I use PT 10.3.10, and from what I know 10.8.5 is the furthest I can upgrade my OS X to for this version... I will have to see if I can run this version of PT in 10.10 then try again...
yes, 10.10 for sure (not certain about 10.9). I am currently running 10.11. (no PT!)

grT
Old 26th November 2015
  #2130
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno View Post
It has zero-latency routing (see manual page 69) but I'm pretty sure that it will go through the conversion stages as follows:

mixer -> DAC -> Output -> Compressor -> Input -> ADC -> mixer
Great, Thanks!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump