The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 5th November 2015
sameproblem with 16a and monitor 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Last startup, Monitor 8 locked up again, no sample rate changes occurred.
I have the same setup as Doug emrr and have the same problem.Motu cannot reproduce it and I was about to send the mon 8 in to be checked out but as someone else has the same problem it seems it's probably not the hardware so I'll wait and see.If Mrmiller could comment or pm it would be great as it would be difficult to be without the mon 8 so would avoid sending it in but would like to know motu is aware more than one person is experiencing this

Mike
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Mine is on a central power switch so both AVB pieces get AC at same moment, computer is manually fired up several seconds later.
Old 5th November 2015
try turning them on at the same time,but no comp.mon8 crashes here.Also if mon 8 is on and I later power on 16a mon8 will crash.Same thing if 16a is on and later power mon8.Only mon8 crashes.On restart of mon8 it boots fine in each scenario.Hopefully this is helpful.Tried factory reset and reloading firmware on both but no change.Have been going back and forth with motu tech for a few weeks and they cant reproduce it.
Old 6th November 2015
Here for the gear

Question regarding AVB:
I'm trying to decide between the Monitor 8 and the Ultralite AVB for use as an interface/monitor/headphone control, and I'm looking at the documentation and I'm getting confused. If I choose to forgo USB and use AVB direct into the back of my mac (or using the AVB switch), how many channels can I get in/out at the various sample rates for each device? The Ultralite has conflicting documentation - some pages on Motu's website say 1 avb stream in/2 out which would be 8x16? and the tech specs of the device say 16-128 in and out, depending on host speed (and I don't know what "host speed" means, 1000baseT vs 100baseT?). I know the Ultralite is supposed to be the budget friendly option, so maybe the AVB IO is limited? maybe not? I don't know.. Any help?
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiker View Post
Question regarding AVB:
I'm trying to decide between the Monitor 8 and the Ultralite AVB for use as an interface/monitor/headphone control, and I'm looking at the documentation and I'm getting confused. If I choose to forgo USB and use AVB direct into the back of my mac (or using the AVB switch), how many channels can I get in/out at the various sample rates for each device? The Ultralite has conflicting documentation - some pages on Motu's website say 1 avb stream in/2 out which would be 8x16? and the tech specs of the device say 16-128 in and out, depending on host speed (and I don't know what "host speed" means, 1000baseT vs 100baseT?). I know the Ultralite is supposed to be the budget friendly option, so maybe the AVB IO is limited? maybe not? I don't know.. Any help?
The Ultralite AVB has 1 input and 2 out AVB streams at sample rates upto 192kHz.
Old 6th November 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
The Ultralite AVB has 1 input and 2 out AVB streams at sample rates upto 192kHz.
That was the case originally, but since the Firmware 1.2.3 release it now supports 3 in / 3 out @ 44.1/48kHz, 2 in / 2 out @ 88.2/96kHz and 1 in / 1 out @ 176.4/192kHz.
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
That was the case originally, but since the Firmware 1.2.3 release it now supports 3 in / 3 out @ 44.1/48kHz, 2 in / 2 out @ 88.2/96kHz and 1 in / 1 out @ 176.4/192kHz.
Thanks for the update.
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

And what sample rates are available with direct AVB connection? It was more limited at one point, haven't heard that's changed.
Old 6th November 2015
Here for the gear

So does the Ultralite just have a 10/100baseT NIC in it, is the processing power just slower so it can't handle the streams, or is it intentionally limited in software?

I'm guessing the Monitor8 has the full 16 stream capability?
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Nut

For those having issues running your MOTU on a Mac, are you all on 10.11? I'm still on Yosemite until Steinberg gets their products compatible at the very least, but since everything has been working the way it should, i'm thinking it may be safest to just wait until everybody gets a few updates in before taking the plunge. At least that's the hard lesson I had to learn the last time I upgraded to the next version of my DAW, but i've yet to try that during the early stages of an operating system's life.
Old 6th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
For those having issues running your MOTU on a Mac, are you all on 10.11? I'm still on Yosemite until Steinberg gets their products compatible at the very least, but since everything has been working the way it should, i'm thinking it may be safest to just wait until everybody gets a few updates in before taking the plunge. At least that's the hard lesson I had to learn the last time I upgraded to the next version of my DAW, but i've yet to try that during the early stages of an operating system's life.
The latest iMacs that shipped a couple of weeks ago came with 10.11 (El Crapitan) and can't be rolled back. Life on the bleeding edge...
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

hi all, i'm trey and i'm totally blind i have a couple of questions.

i'm thinking of getting an 8m when i get it out the box and first run it with reaper and some synths/drum machines connected and i plug in headphones would i start hearing sound thru the headphones straight away or would i have to configure the motu 8m to do this?

also does any one know what programming language html5 for example or if theres screen reeder support for the web app?

your help with these questions would be most welcome, kind regards trey.
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
John, you should definitely get in touch with MOTU support and open a ticket with them; there are fixes afoot.
Just did... Thanks.

I'm glad it works through USB as well as it does, but I do miss the incredibly low latency.

Frustrating, as it was working perfectly with Thunderbolt under Yosemite. It will again, soon, I should think.

John
Old 7th November 2015
Since 10.11.1 - I'm having random crackling issues with my TOSLink connections (Bricasti AES through HOSA ).

It sounded great before. :(
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

could anyone tell me how deep (dimensions) the MOTU 16A is? Is it 16 Inches deep (40.64cm)?
Thanks
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
could anyone tell me how deep (dimensions) the MOTU 16A is? Is it 16 Inches deep (40.64cm)?
Thanks
It's roughly 7 1/2 inches deep (from faceplate to the back of the word clock connectors). I just measured with it bolted in my rack, which has an open space above and below it, so add a half inch to be safe, and make it an even 8 inches.

John
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
It's roughly 7 1/2 inches deep (from faceplate to the back of the word clock connectors). I just measured with it bolted in my rack, which has an open space above and below it, so add a half inch to be safe, and make it an even 8 inches.

John
Thank you John
Old 11th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Since 10.11.1 - I'm having random crackling issues with my TOSLink connections (Bricasti AES through HOSA ).

Hopefully I can save somebody the headaches with the remedy I finally discovered ( even swapped out cables).

In the Web Interface change the Optical Setup - Inputs and Outputs to ADAT and back to TOSlink - it fixed it.

Last edited by Robby in WA; 11th November 2015 at 07:29 AM..
Old 11th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound warrior View Post
hi all, i'm trey and i'm totally blind i have a couple of questions.

i'm thinking of getting an 8m when i get it out the box and first run it with reaper and some synths/drum machines connected and i plug in headphones would i start hearing sound thru the headphones straight away or would i have to configure the motu 8m to do this?

also does any one know what programming language html5 for example or if theres screen reeder support for the web app?

your help with these questions would be most welcome, kind regards trey.
Hi Trey,

There would be a little bit of setup in order to get things going. You'd need to install the driver and then choose a default device preset (probably Audio Interface in your case) either from the web UI or the front panel of the device. The former will probably be more achievable on your own. Since the web app is coded in HTML5, a screen reader should have no problem getting the text and preset menu or anything on the device tab. But if you're just using it as a simple audio interface with 8 preamps, you should be good with that default preset. There are physical buttons on the front of the interface to control the gain, phantom power, pad and headphone levels. You can also control those from the web UI's device tab, which are all labeled.

If you do decide to get an 8M, please let us know how your experience is! If there are ways we can change the code to improve its accessibility, we'll do our best.

Quote:
So does the Ultralite just have a 10/100baseT NIC in it, is the processing power just slower so it can't handle the streams, or is it intentionally limited in software?

I'm guessing the Monitor8 has the full 16 stream capability?
The UltraLite does indeed have a 10/100 NIC but it also has less powerful hardware. It's definitely not crippled in software (which would be pretty pathetic...) The Monitor 8 supports up to 8 input streams and 8 output streams at all sample rates.
Old 11th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofhead View Post
try turning them on at the same time,but no comp.mon8 crashes here.Also if mon 8 is on and I later power on 16a mon8 will crash.Same thing if 16a is on and later power mon8.Only mon8 crashes.On restart of mon8 it boots fine in each scenario.Hopefully this is helpful.Tried factory reset and reloading firmware on both but no change.Have been going back and forth with motu tech for a few weeks and they cant reproduce it.
Sorry I haven't commented until now! We're definitely looking into it. I've been forwarding on your posts to QA and checking in with them about it. They're having trouble reproducing it on their end for now, unfortunately. The more detail with which you can describe you're setup and what you're doing, the better a chance for support and QA to duplicate what you're doing and hopefully get the same results. Video, screenshots and/or photos can also make a huge difference, because sometimes the key insight might be something you might not think is significant enough to mention.
Old 11th November 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
The UltraLite does indeed have a 10/100 NIC but it also has less powerful hardware. It's definitely not crippled in software (which would be pretty pathetic...) The Monitor 8 supports up to 8 input streams and 8 output streams at all sample rates.
Gotcha. Based on this, I've already put in my order for the Monitor 8. Thanks!
Old 11th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Quote:

Hopefully I can save somebody the headaches with the remedy I finally discovered ( even swapped out cables).

In the Web Interface change the Optical Setup - Inputs and Outputs to ADAT and back to TOSlink - it fixed it.
I just tried it, and it didn't work for me... Thanks for trying to help, though, much appreciated.

As Bleen says, for those of us who bought very recent new iMacs, we're in El Capitan limbo for a while. At least it works fine on USB.
Old 12th November 2015
Here for the gear

I noticed there are only 8 optical input meters on the front panel of the 16a. Does that mean there are no meters for the second optical input (8-16)?
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Nut

It will show all 16 adat in and 16 out when running at 44.1k/48k as very thin lines, but they are all there.

I understand because all of the product photos are taken when the unit is at 96k only show 8 in and out :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by btv327 View Post
I noticed there are only 8 optical input meters on the front panel of the 16a. Does that mean there are no meters for the second optical input (8-16)?
Old 13th November 2015
Here for the gear

Has anyone tried connecting their mac to a Motu AVB interface using ethernet and a thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Does this work, or do I have to use the ethernet port for AVB and the thunderbolt adapter for connection to my network? I don't have an AVB switch yet to plug everything into, so I'm curious if the adapter will work.
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Addict

just bought a 16a. windoze 7. during install of the 1.4 driver, computer hangs up with "motuavbdiscovery,exe was unable to start correctly. (0xc000007b)" any ideas? have uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times now. same deal. frustrating.
Old 14th November 2015
Gear Addict
I'm chiming in on this now 70-page thread to drop hints to MOTU to make a similar Thunderbolt version of their Traveler. Thank you and goodnight.
Old 14th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
just bought a 16a. windoze 7. during install of the 1.4 driver, computer hangs up with "motuavbdiscovery,exe was unable to start correctly. (0xc000007b)" any ideas? have uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times now. same deal. frustrating.
Corrupt driver?
Did you try downloading again?
Old 15th November 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Has anyone tried connecting their mac to a Motu AVB interface using ethernet and a thunderbolt ethernet adapter? Does this work, or do I have to use the ethernet port for AVB and the thunderbolt adapter for connection to my network? I don't have an AVB switch yet to plug everything into, so I'm curious if the adapter will work.
Yes, the apple thunderbolt -> ethernet adapter is AVB compliant and will pass audio to your mac!

Something to note. CPU usage is significantly higher when using AVB so I wouldnt reccomend using it unless the MOTU is farther away than a USB or thunderbolt cable will reach.

USB is the simplest and has lower latency and lower cpu usage than AVB

Thunderbolt has the lowest latency
Old 15th November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Corrupt driver?
Did you try downloading again?
turns out, and i wish motu had been a bit more forthcoming about this, (i.e. actually posted/mentioned it somewhere), the system requirements for the drivers to run on windows 7 are a bit more specific than just "windows 7."

the long of it:
my DAW computer does not touch the internet. has windows 7 and i locked it down from the web as soon as it was installed at least 5 years ago. been running 2 echo audiofires for 24 in/out via firewire for years with no issues. ain't broke don't fix it.

6 hours of dicking around with the 16a install, through trial and error, i finally gave in, threw caution to the wind and put my network card back in the box and let windoze install updates. literally 200 and some updates, service pack 1 (and several hours later), the driver install proceeded a bit further, but then asked for "net. framework 4.0 " to be installed. after i installed all that... it finally works.

would be nice if motu avb system requirements said "windows 7: sp1 or later and net.framework 4.0 or later). coulda saved me a looong evening

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search