The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
You can daisy chain up to 5 units, has been said many times.
The specs are very clear.
The only issue about only 1 thunderbolt port is about daisy chain other kind of devices, forcing you to put the interface as the last device of the chain.
Provided you also purchase the AVB. Otherwise you're limited to 2, correct?
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Correct as far as I can see. I think most people would only ever need 2, so it makes sense as a design decision regarding base cost. I can't really picture anyone buying all 3 of the new devices and using them together, it can be done with the switcher.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

There are a lot of potential connection possibilities not touched on one way or the other in the manual.

If you are working 44.1/48 you can possibly run two daisy-chained via ethernet, and a third and fourth via optical connection to the first two, no AVB switch involved, 16 channel I/O per unit via optical, 64 total I/O.

Is there a reason you couldn't run four using pairs, each with TB or USB connection to the computer? Possibly one set slaving via word clock to the other? That'd be a matter of host DAW being capable of taking multiple source/send streams, I'd think. Also depends on whether the AVB detection app can deal with multiples.

------edit-------

Found some more info in the manual, the above all look possible.

Last edited by emrr; 2nd August 2014 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: cypherin'
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm late to the game, both seeing this thread (a whole week old! Merde!) and a very happy user of a BLA modded Digi 002R for my simple home studio - but taking the 002R on remote recordings is NOT working well for me any more. Just decided yaterday to seek out a new (affordable) rig for remotes, and today Sweetwater sends me their ad. It looks exciting for my purposes, but I really look forward to some users responses. Whoever gets one let us know how it is!!! For my purposes, the 8M is ideal - I already have two ADAT 8 pre units that I am happy with, and an empty space in my 3 space rack, and an unused Tbolt port. Maybe I shouldn't wait...
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papawise View Post
You can daisy chain up to 5 units, has been said many times.

The only issue about only 1 thunderbolt port is about daisy chain other kind of devices, forcing you to put the interface as the last device of the chain.
And as it has been said, assuming that all your other TB devices are not also "last device on the chain" as well.
Old 2nd August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
wth?

Of course one is to connect to the Mac, and you have another to daisy chain.

That equals 2...
That equals ONE available (pass through), so it's exactly the same as if you'd plugged e MOTU in to your Mac directly. Still no connection that can be used besides the one.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil View Post
So I guess you've heard it already and done the extensive (and scientific) testing that would warrant such a claim ?.

Gheez, how about someone actually listens to the the thing before rendering an opinion. Of course, that wouldn't be much like Gearslutz, would it ?

Cdlt
Yeah, I agree,. Dissing something you haven't tried is so troll-like, yet familiarly GS-like... ON THE OTHER HAND, I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DISS BEHRINGER ON OTHER THREADS... and I'll never even try one out in this lifetime! :-)

On another hand, I just reserved my 8M and will place the order Monday. Then maybe I'll put my mouth where my money went... Gee, that sounds vaguely nasty - or fun! :=)>

It's gotta be an upgrade from 002r - even with BLA Tweakhead mod.
Old 3rd August 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLahey View Post
Curious in Motu's literature they are confident to talk about the converter family used, but make no mention of the clock. I would have expected them to make a marketing statement that they are using improved clocking technology (over their previous converter line up) of some sort. Also since many people have criticized past motu ad/da boxes for having a weak clock etc.
It would be wise to take any gearslutz based clocking discussions with a grain of salt. Say one the size of a watermelon.

Where converter design is concerned, I don't think these new units will have any difficulty achieving cleaner conversion than the Apollo, Orion, UFX, etc.

It's getting to be a problem though with so many devices needing to be the last in a TB chain. This is a serious concern for some users.
Old 3rd August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
It would be wise to take any gearslutz based clocking discussions with a grain of salt. Say one the size of a watermelon.

Where converter design is concerned, I don't think these new units will have any difficulty achieving cleaner conversion than the Apollo, Orion, UFX, etc.

It's getting to be a problem though with so many devices needing to be the last in a TB chain. This is a serious concern for some users.
Not necessarily. Motu are using Sabre DAC chip for DA side of things and this
chip is very tricky to get right. It is essentially a very powerful FPGA based
DAC with 8 DAC's inside, an ASRC, multiple digital filter options etc etc.
For example the ASRC has multiple PLL settings for jitter rejection CF.

I'm sure Motu has done their homework but getting everything right clocking
and analog stage wise is a considerable job. The specs won't really give much
indication of this either, however that they are very good is certainly a great
start.

I hope they did do their homework and the boxes sound great, proof will be
in the pudding. If they do indeed sound great I'll probably grab one.

T
Old 3rd August 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Keep in mind Motu released the first FireWire recording interface ever on the market. They've got enough experience behind them to know what they're doing.

The price of these $1500 units are higher than their usual product range though. Maybe they'll use a little higher grade components in these and raise the bar?

It's not like any of their competition is hitting it out of the park sonically though. Orion & Apollo for instance were both expected to sound better than they do. It's been a little slow and underwhelming in the interface market where sonics are concerned. Much more emphasis on features.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

Thunderbolt is a more expensive technology to implement all around. Comparable HDD/SSD's are considerably pricier than their FW/USB counterparts.

As I posted earlier, converter blind tests suggest that the differences are minimal, regardless of price. Latest tech is usually better than older tech.
Old 3rd August 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Right now you pay an extra $100 for the TB version of Motu's 828 or Lynx' Hilo. That's not a lot. Others fall behind there though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
There haven't been many blind listening tests, but the results are invariably the same: differences are minimal to the point of irrelevance.
They are most certainly not. The differences are audible and measurable in many ways.

It's not hard to find people who can't tell much of a difference between a few comparable units. If your ears aren't well trained or your monitoring or room aren't great that's pretty easy. In those cases it makes much more sense to improve the weak links in the chain than to buy high end conversion.

It's also not hard to find people who will consistently pick a better sounding converter in a blind test over the alternatives. Why? Because we absolutely have not hit a plain where they all sound the same. But then again it makes no sense to expect them to since they all measure differently when looking at distortion, clocking, transient response, etc.

The Lynx Hilo is an example of a unit which tests cleaner across the board and gets picked in blind tests as best / most transparent regularly. I speak from experience there and as someone who has test files for over 50 converters. When that changes I'll agree we've finally hit the plateau, but make no mistake, the market is not there yet.

The best sounding converters come from a combination of design prowess, experience, and components. Naturally, those vary from one company to the next so it's naive to expect there's no difference.

More expensive component choices and more money spent on R&D means a higher price tag. Most products are a balance of compromises.
Old 3rd August 2014
Lives for gear

It's good to see you NMS involved in this thread. Please keep us posted if you have a chance to use or test the motu interfaces!
Old 3rd August 2014
Ok.. I've made the step and ordered a 1248. Lets see how it works / sounds!!
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Head
wow... this new motu 1248 or a use rme ufx!!!!! Come on get some review out!!!!
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

i will got to my gear store today and try it out.

if someone can tell me how to measure latency to compare it with the other devices, i can provide a simple benchmark!
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear

Went there
storekeeper told me: latency as low as for the RME devices
told me he thinks there is no more DSP controlling application too
but the webinterface might be able to receive midi cc
he told me like on SSL's devides - html5 supports midi
i did not belive in thtat
i will get a callback by a motu guy tomorrow.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Test drove a 16A on the laptop via USB today, all seems cool, the mixer app seems to be well laid out, and easy to grasp at a glance, given the dense options available. My phone had no problem jumping on as another controller.

Audio? Haven't listened yet!

Made in USA, nice.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Test drove a 16A on the laptop via USB today, all seems cool, the mixer app seems to be well laid out, and easy to grasp at a glance, given the dense options available. My phone had no problem jumping on as another controller.

Made in USA, nice.
Oouuhh, go on, feedback on the subjective audio quality, please....pretty please...
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmatibet View Post
There are things I'd like to see in the future (Inserts, input source monitoring, midi learn of mixer and MCU control) but nothing that can't be implemented in a future software / firmware release. I really find the whole system quite impressive.
Just one thing is really disappointing (a game stopper for me and laptop users in general): Just one Thunderbolt input?? Come on! How am I supposed to daisy chain my Thunderbolt stuff? I am not going to buy a cylinder just for that.
I think that's what the ethernet connection is for, but I might ve wrong.

EDIT: Scratch that. I might just go to bed.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Oouuhh, go on, feedback on the subjective audio quality, please....pretty please...
as though that would be the pinnacle of conclusivity...
Old 4th August 2014
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post

Now, that's pure gearslutz gold.
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
as though that would be the pinnacle of conclusivity...

There you go. There are worse bits of information than selected slutz' opinions, my young friend. You just have to know which are worth listening to. Maybe you'll work it out. Meanwhile have fun with the facepalming. Doesn't make you look clever though, in case you harbour the mistaken belief it does.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post

Meanwhile have fun with the facepalming.
I see you're having 6 fold more fun than I it seems...

In any case mate, my intent was not necessarily to disparage any particular GS member's opinion...if you took it as that, well...let's just say it wasn't - OK?

In any case, I have no mistaken belief that there is some truth in what I said...
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

12tone wrote: "In any case, I have no mistaken belief that there is some truth in what I said..."

This either belongs to some funny quotes thread, or as an email sig line, if I may borrow it!
Like this:
"In any case, I have no mistaken belief that there is some truth in what I said..."
-- 12tone, on the interwebs
Old 5th August 2014
Gear Head

Does anyone know if those interfaces use real TB protocole (PCIe) or usb/Fw under TB protocole like 828x?
Old 5th August 2014
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJE356 View Post
Does anyone know if those interfaces use real TB protocole (PCIe) or usb/Fw under TB protocole like 828x?
Where did you hear the 828x isn't true TB? This is incorrect.
Old 5th August 2014
Here for the gear

Had a chat with a motu guy, he told me:

Quote:
there is no possibility to control the devices, dsp mixer or any feature of the device with midi. the only way to control the devices is the Web Application.
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post

I can't simply connect the +4 XLR output signal of my preamp into the M-Audio XLR inputs without major clipping.
You should try those LINE IN +4 TRS under the MIC IN XLRs.

You wouldn't bypass the preamps, but will be able to work in their cleaner/adequate gain range instead. (Most of times @ zero)

Regards,
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by webstersp View Post
wow... this new motu 1248 or a use rme ufx!!!!! Come on get some review out!!!!

Yes, we really would like some user reviews here. I assume we should see some very soon....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search