The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 15th October 2015
Here for the gear

Upgrade woes

Hi all,

I might just be being thick here, but I'm trying to find a way to upgrade my Motu 16A without being online.

I am running Windows 7 on PC
The 16A is running 1.1.5 firmware (I believe 1.2.3 is the latest)
I've installed the V1.4 AVB driver on my PC for access to the web interface.
I'm connecting the PC to the 16A with a USB cable. i can access the web interface A-OK like this.

But!

- When connecting like this, I don't get the option to upgrade the 16A in the web app (like on page 19 of the manual)

- When I also connect the 16A to a DHCP enabled switch with internet access, the 16A gets an IP address but there's no option to upgrade on the web interface.

- When I connect my PC to the internet (something I do NOT do with my audio machine as standard), I get a message at the top of the web interface which says something along the lines of 'connect to the 16A via ethernet to upgrade it to v1.2.3'.

Is this really correct?! Is the only way to upgrade the 16A to connect both the 16A and my PC to a switch with internet access? I really can't believe there's no offline upgrade option available.

I know I could just connect both PC and 16A to the same switch + internet, but that is tricky for logistical reasons. Plus I would really prefer that there's another way than connecting my precious studio PC to the internet!

Can any other Windows users with a 16A who've upgraded their 16A firmware chime in please?

Cheers
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

You should see an 'update from file' option that allows you to update from firmware downloaded from the MOTU site.
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

Argh, this setup is getting annoying. Once I get everything setup every now and then my main unit (1248) doesn't get audio from the other units anymore. I have to reboot the 1248 and everything comes back. For example, I'll have a synth going into my 24Ai. It shows up fine there, and I see that it's getting audio. But the 1248's equivalent AVB input isn't showing anything. "Reboot Device" and it works again.

This just really feels uncooked.
Old 16th October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gould View Post
Hi all,

I might just be being thick here, but I'm trying to find a way to upgrade my Motu 16A without being online.

I am running Windows 7 on PC
The 16A is running 1.1.5 firmware (I believe 1.2.3 is the latest)
I've installed the V1.4 AVB driver on my PC for access to the web interface.
I'm connecting the PC to the 16A with a USB cable. i can access the web interface A-OK like this.

But!

- When connecting like this, I don't get the option to upgrade the 16A in the web app (like on page 19 of the manual)

- When I also connect the 16A to a DHCP enabled switch with internet access, the 16A gets an IP address but there's no option to upgrade on the web interface.

- When I connect my PC to the internet (something I do NOT do with my audio machine as standard), I get a message at the top of the web interface which says something along the lines of 'connect to the 16A via ethernet to upgrade it to v1.2.3'.

Is this really correct?! Is the only way to upgrade the 16A to connect both the 16A and my PC to a switch with internet access? I really can't believe there's no offline upgrade option available.

I know I could just connect both PC and 16A to the same switch + internet, but that is tricky for logistical reasons. Plus I would really prefer that there's another way than connecting my precious studio PC to the internet!

Can any other Windows users with a 16A who've upgraded their 16A firmware chime in please?

Cheers
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/thu...User_Guide.pdf

Read page 100. You can do it.
Old 16th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
Thanks, I missed this in the manual. P100 isn't listed in the index of the manual under 'Firmware update' or 'update from file' or indeed anywhere else in the index...
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

All MOTU manuals would benefit from a reduction in sales pitch and an increase in useful information; we already bought it or are reading as if we had at that point. I could easily edit 20% sales pitch off of just about every page of every manual.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Addict

pick one (price not a consideration), 16a or antelope orion/zen?
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

strange none of the main music magazines has reviews/tests of any of these new Motu AVB line.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
strange none of the main music magazines has reviews/tests of any of these new Motu AVB line.
Not strange in the case of any MOTU's products
Old 19th October 2015
Here for the gear
Guys, is it possible to use a HP Zbook 15 g1 as a hackintosh and being able to use the thunderbolt port these laptops have? Any experiences? I know some people have been successful but I don't know if they were enable to use the thunderbolt port this laptop has

Thanx
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Nut

Panning of Stereo Sources

Not sure if this has been answered, but I gave up looking after about an hour...

How often do you pan your stereo sources when sending them into mix busses?

Like say you're just listening to some reference material on your computer, which for most of us should be coming from "From Computer 1 & From Computer 2". Then you send this to the Group 1/2 mix bus because you wanted to apply some EQ; and then finally routing Group 1/2 to your analog out stereo speakers.

What would be the reasons to pan or not to pan your From Computer 1/2 inputs left and right as you send it going into your group mix and then finally out of your stereo analog outs?
Old 22nd October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
Not sure if this has been answered, but I gave up looking after about an hour...

How often do you pan your stereo sources when sending them into mix busses?

Like say you're just listening to some reference material on your computer, which for most of us should be coming from "From Computer 1 & From Computer 2". Then you send this to the Group 1/2 mix bus because you wanted to apply some EQ; and then finally routing Group 1/2 to your analog out stereo speakers.

What would be the reasons to pan or not to pan your From Computer 1/2 inputs left and right as you send it going into your group mix and then finally out of your stereo analog outs?
Anything going into the mixer as single mono channels needs to be panned, but if you group the inputs in stereo panning it is not needed as the channels are automatically panned hard left/right.
Old 26th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
Not strange in the case of any MOTU's products
it does seem odd - any idea why this is? Does MOTU just not provide review units?
Old 27th October 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno View Post
it does seem odd - any idea why this is? Does MOTU just not provide review units?
They do provide review units just not aggressively. I have managed to find useful reviews online. Find the links below:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...ystem-overview

http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp...io-interfaces/

http://www.emusician.com/gear/1332/r...terfaces/54054
Old 28th October 2015
Here for the gear

Could anyone check if MOTU 1248 outputs have anti-thump circuitry, i. e. if they produce pop or any other sound during power-on and power-off?
Old 28th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimGitz View Post
They do provide review units just not aggressively. I have managed to find useful reviews online. Find the links below:

MOTU AVB Interfaces Review - System Overview — Pro Tools Expert

MOTU 1248 & Ultralite AVB Review | AudioTechnology Magazine

Review: MOTU 1248, 16A, and 8M AVB Interfaces | Emusician
Thanks for the links

WOW the Pro Tools Expert reviews are a waste of space. from what I can see of his 3 or 4 MOTU avb reviews they are just a retelling of the features and not opinions or actual test type of data. Just advertising pages really
Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

Monitor Station

I really hope MOTU make an AVB version of this rednet-am2 but with the usual monitoring features, talkback, selectable speaker outs, dim, mono, etc...

Especially a stereo / 5.1 option.
Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tojvo Glumov View Post
Could anyone check if MOTU 1248 outputs have anti-thump circuitry, i. e. if they produce pop or any other sound during power-on and power-off?
Well, I can now answer it myself.

It has no specific anti-thump circuitry, but the pop or click during wake-up and power-down is really quiet.
Old 30th October 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone have any experience with sending off their Motu's to Black Lion to mod? I know of one engineer (whose opinion I greatly respect) who sent his 16A to Black Lion and he speaks very highly of the mod. I'm about to do the same. Thought I'd give a shout to see if anyone else out there has done the same?
Old 30th October 2015
@mrmiller - I sent this to MOTU support, but thought I'd add it here in case anyone has experienced it or has a solution:

I just upgraded from a Mac Pro 4,1 2.26x8 running 10.10.2 to an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, MacOSX 10.11.1, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB).

Yesterday was the first time I connected my 16A to the iMac and I used an Apple 2m Thunderbolt cable. Up until today, I've had the 16A connected to my old Mac Pro via USB and it's performed flawlessly for almost a year at sample rates up to 96k and tracking/mixing in Logic Pro X and PT 11 HD at buffers as low as 64 samples.

With the 16A connected via Thunderbolt to the iMac, I get constant crackles and noise on audio, both when monitoring and printing to the WAV files in Logic Pro X (I haven't tested PT yet), even at buffers of 128 samples at 48k. I had to switch to using USB on the iMac to get through the session. I had higher hopes for Thunderbolt, I must say...

I'm running the most current MOTU driver that's supposed to be 10.11 compatible, but I'd imagine I'd have issues via USB as well as Thunderbolt if it was only a driver issue. I do have a Firewire hard drive connected via an Apple FW->TB adapter on the second Thunderbolt port of the iMac, but TB should have PLENTY of bandwidth to handle both things.

Any ideas for me to try/test would be greatly appreciated, or if there's a more current driver for the 16A in beta, I'd be happy to give it a go.
Old 31st October 2015
Lives for gear

Last half dozen power ups, Monitor 8 slaved to 16A via AVB does not boot completely, locks up. Was not doing this previously, no system changes to account. Power cycle it, is found and AVB streams reconnect appropriately. No difference yet noted to explain.

Well, maybe: recently I've changed to 192k to take response measurements on a regular basis, and then changed back to typical 88k2. Only thing I can think of.
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
If you decide to do it, message me before you send it off and I can send you a test file to run through it before/after for analysis of changes.
Please keep me in the loop also
Old 2nd November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
@mrmiller - I sent this to MOTU support, but thought I'd add it here in case anyone has experienced it or has a solution:

I just upgraded from a Mac Pro 4,1 2.26x8 running 10.10.2 to an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015, 4 GHz Intel Core i7, MacOSX 10.11.1, 32GB RAM, AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB).

Yesterday was the first time I connected my 16A to the iMac and I used an Apple 2m Thunderbolt cable. Up until today, I've had the 16A connected to my old Mac Pro via USB and it's performed flawlessly for almost a year at sample rates up to 96k and tracking/mixing in Logic Pro X and PT 11 HD at buffers as low as 64 samples.

With the 16A connected via Thunderbolt to the iMac, I get constant crackles and noise on audio, both when monitoring and printing to the WAV files in Logic Pro X (I haven't tested PT yet), even at buffers of 128 samples at 48k. I had to switch to using USB on the iMac to get through the session. I had higher hopes for Thunderbolt, I must say...

I'm running the most current MOTU driver that's supposed to be 10.11 compatible, but I'd imagine I'd have issues via USB as well as Thunderbolt if it was only a driver issue. I do have a Firewire hard drive connected via an Apple FW->TB adapter on the second Thunderbolt port of the iMac, but TB should have PLENTY of bandwidth to handle both things.

Any ideas for me to try/test would be greatly appreciated, or if there's a more current driver for the 16A in beta, I'd be happy to give it a go.
Hmm... odd! Yes, our Thunderbolt driver works just fine with 10.11. The USB driver is simply Apple's audio class compliant driver. That definitely shouldn't be happening. I would try removing the hard drive temporarily to see if it helps. As you say, there should be enough bandwidth but it might be some other interaction. Those two ports share resources.
Old 2nd November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Hmm... odd! Yes, our Thunderbolt driver works just fine with 10.11. The USB driver is simply Apple's audio class compliant driver. That definitely shouldn't be happening. I would try removing the hard drive temporarily to see if it helps. As you say, there should be enough bandwidth but it might be some other interaction. Those two ports share resources.
Brian in support and I have started trying to track this down. I reset the 16A and tried it on both TB ports with nothing else plugged in to either one and still get the noise/crackles when monitoring live inputs or printing audio, so something is definitely amiss.

I'm using the optical A ports on the 16A in TOSLINK mode to feed a pair of Benchmark AD/DA units and optical B is disabled; AVB feeds are set to "0 out of 16", so I'm really not pushing the bandwidth (and if I were, I imagine USB would really be giving me grief, but it's perfect).
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

Last two start-ups, sample rate had not been changed during previous use, came up fine. Could Monitor 8 have a memory fault concerning most recent state causing conflict at start-up? When it's locked the start-up bars on the screen are frozen solid, not rippling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Last half dozen power ups, Monitor 8 slaved to 16A via AVB does not boot completely, locks up. Was not doing this previously, no system changes to account. Power cycle it, is found and AVB streams reconnect appropriately. No difference yet noted to explain.

Well, maybe: recently I've changed to 192k to take response measurements on a regular basis, and then changed back to typical 88k2. Only thing I can think of.
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Maniac

I just got a 1248 plugged in and running tonight, after a couple of days of tracing every cable run in the patch bay, etc. This is a home studio, so 2 bays worth of connections, "only" several pieces of outboard, and so on.

The 1248 replaces a Saffire Pro 40, and just playing back mixes I thought were nearly ready, suddenly they sound like ****. So I think the D/A conversion is a huge step up. With the Saffire I was constantly fighting clipping distortion on the 2 bus... Now it's clean, and I can crank things without distortion. Sounds good. I assume the A/D is going to be a step up as well. Without the cloud of clipping distortion, mixes will be easier for sure.

The mystery right now, having messed with it for a couple of hours, is routing. I've watched two of MOTU's videos on signal routing, and need to watch them all. So far I am not getting signals to show up in Pro Tools in a way that I find logical. A signal coming in on ADAT channel 1 from a Focusrite ISA 428 shows up in pro tools on what used to be ADAT channel 7... I select ADAT channel 1 in a drop down menu, and it shows up on 7... what?? Guess I need to start with a new session, create all inputs from the ground up, route them in a way I can understand, and save that as The Template For All Time. This is an operator error thing so far, I just have to work it out.

Another data point for me: Don't buy ****ty cheap ass equipment as a place holder. Buy something decent and get on with life. I avoided the new Focusrite Clarett stuff because Saffire was godawful. I mean, I used to have a Digi 002, and that worked far better than the Saffire. The Focusrite ISA 428 has been flawless for years, so it's not all their stuff. But the I'm now suspicious of their idea of an interface.
Old 4th November 2015
Lives for gear

Nice post standup!
I have the Ultralite AVB and I had to watch the routing videos in order to understand how to use the power of these devices. Once you get the concept of how MOTU does things, it's super easy. I also agree with not buying cheap gear. You don't have to spend a fortune to get gear that is not poorly constructed and worse yet poorly supported. Over the years I have found that just saving and spending a little more cash gets a much higher quality piece of kit. It may not have all the features of the lower priced, lower quality gear but for what it does, it will do it well and it will more than likely outlast the cheap gear both in terms of life span and support.

Best of luck!
Old 4th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
Brian in support and I have started trying to track this down. I reset the 16A and tried it on both TB ports with nothing else plugged in to either one and still get the noise/crackles when monitoring live inputs or printing audio, so something is definitely amiss.

I'm using the optical A ports on the 16A in TOSLINK mode to feed a pair of Benchmark AD/DA units and optical B is disabled; AVB feeds are set to "0 out of 16", so I'm really not pushing the bandwidth (and if I were, I imagine USB would really be giving me grief, but it's perfect).
Long-time lurker here - I have nearly the same setup as Bleen, and I'm having the same issue - crackles in the audio when connected by Thunderbolt. It happens in both Logic and Reaper. Buffer settings don't matter

It doesn't matter if I record to the internal drive, or an external drive. It doesn't matter if the external drive is connected USB3 or Thunderbolt adapter to Firewire 800, it still happens.

The issue clears up completely when using USB.

The machine is a brand new iMac, same as Bleens, with the only difference being that I have 16GB of RAM to his 32GB. The machine came with 10.11, otherwise I'd be on Yosemite.

Interesting note - Up until yesterday, I had been running the 16A on a mid 2015 MBP 15" Retina (i7, 16GB of RAM, etc.), using Thunderbolt, and it was rock solid. That machine was running Yosemite.

Aside from this issue, I love the interface.

Thanks,

John
Old 5th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Long-time lurker here - I have nearly the same setup as Bleen, and I'm having the same issue - crackles in the audio when connected by Thunderbolt. It happens in both Logic and Reaper. Buffer settings don't matter

It doesn't matter if I record to the internal drive, or an external drive. It doesn't matter if the external drive is connected USB3 or Thunderbolt adapter to Firewire 800, it still happens.

The issue clears up completely when using USB.

The machine is a brand new iMac, same as Bleens, with the only difference being that I have 16GB of RAM to his 32GB. The machine came with 10.11, otherwise I'd be on Yosemite.

Interesting note - Up until yesterday, I had been running the 16A on a mid 2015 MBP 15" Retina (i7, 16GB of RAM, etc.), using Thunderbolt, and it was rock solid. That machine was running Yosemite.

Aside from this issue, I love the interface.

Thanks,

John
John, you should definitely get in touch with MOTU support and open a ticket with them; there are fixes afoot.
Old 5th November 2015
Lives for gear

Last startup, Monitor 8 locked up again, no sample rate changes occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Last two start-ups, sample rate had not been changed during previous use, came up fine. Could Monitor 8 have a memory fault concerning most recent state causing conflict at start-up? When it's locked the start-up bars on the screen are frozen solid, not rippling.
Quote:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search