The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 28th September 2015
Gear Addict

Excellent

thanks for the explanation
Old 1st October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
what's the verdict on stability/performance over USB on windows 7 machines? i have a antelope zen on loan right now and it's not very happy with my system.
Personally, I passed up the Zen for this MOTU 1248, and after settling with the newest driver, I never looked back. :-)

Added later: that is with the latest Windows 8 build on an 8-core tower, all the while running an antivirus/firewall at low-latency and recording at 64ms setting. I've even done mixing at 512ms latency while running browsers and email in the background, just to see what would happen. Rock solid.

The only thing I noticed, is that now and then, after an hour or so of inactivity in the browser, the browser will loose touch with the device, and I will have to restart the device to allow the browser to gain access again... that is even with the 1.4 driver. In other words, I've set the routing and all the way I like, then I go to mixing for an hour or so, and then, say I switch back to the browser to engage my custom preset for recording... sometimes it is still engaged, and sometimes it isn't. I've never, ever lost it during a recording session.

Last edited by Jeraz; 1st October 2015 at 12:34 AM.. Reason: To add info...
Old 6th October 2015
Lives for gear

Anyone else having issue with their units loosing the Word Clock In signal when clocking from external clock? I have the 16a and 24IO and a 2 channel AD all being clocked off of a external clock. for some reason the units start to lose clock over an amount of time.

To fix the issue I change the clocking to internal on both units then flip them back to Word Clock then it works. Seems strange. Anyone else have that issue?
Old 6th October 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Anyone else having issue with their units loosing the Word Clock In signal when clocking from external clock? I have the 16a and 24IO and a 2 channel AD all being clocked off of a external clock. for some reason the units start to lose clock over an amount of time.

To fix the issue I change the clocking to internal on both units then flip them back to Word Clock then it works. Seems strange. Anyone else have that issue?
how is the clocking of the three units done? by a "star"-cabling configuration, so every device is connected directly to the clock.
or sequential from one unit to the next with proper termination on the last unit?

in my scenario i clock a 112d via wordclock cabel from an ad converter, which is connected over madi for the audiostream. it is rocksolid, but not comparable to your scenario.

more info on the configuration and the cabling used would be helpful.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
how is the clocking of the three units done? by a "star"-cabling configuration, so every device is connected directly to the clock.
or sequential from one unit to the next with proper termination on the last unit?

in my scenario i clock a 112d via wordclock cabel from an ad converter, which is connected over madi for the audiostream. it is rocksolid, but not comparable to your scenario.

more info on the configuration and the cabling used would be helpful.
I believe I have it set up so that each device has its own cable directly to the clock.
Old 7th October 2015
Lives for gear

I ran my system with 16A/iMac clocked to 2408/G5 for 6 months or more, I don't think it ever lost clock.
Old 7th October 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
I believe I have it set up so that each device has its own cable directly to the clock.
both motu devices clocking set to "wordclock in"? cables and connections checked?
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
both motu devices clocking set to "wordclock in"? cables and connections checked?
Yep, it is strange. I will play around with it more once I finish mixing these records. It has probably happened 3 or 4 times so far in the last 2-3 weeks since I bought the clock.

Otherwise, I am loving the Motu's. Now only if PT would let me use all 64 I/O like their chart says and has said for YEARS. PT is locking me out at 32 I/O only. Super lame considering it says right on this page of their site that we should be able to have 64 I/O. I am using PT 11 HD Native. I was one of those guys who was able to purchase native from a upgrade plan. I have been on the phone with a number of Avid guys. While they are all very nice, it has basically come down to the fact that Avid just wants to lock me out because of 3rd party hardware even though it is totally possible to do and that was how they represented the sale to me.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Avid | Features - Pro Tools | HD Native - Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) from Avid
Old 8th October 2015
Anyone else losing the connection to 1248 (mixer control app, the audio still works fine) when plugging / unplugging usb devices?

OSX 10.9.5 - USB Mode

MAc Pro 2008 - 2.8 X 8
Old 8th October 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
...what about higher buffer settings?
So, been back to the rig (Logic Pro X on a 2013 Macbook Pro), got the numbers, here you go, all values for 44,1kHz/24bit:

__Buffer_____Latency In>Out__Latency Out
__32_samples_____2,0ms___________1,0ms
__64_samples_____3,4ms___________1,7ms
_128_samples_____6,3ms___________3,2ms
_256_samples____12,2ms___________6,1ms
_512_samples____23,8ms__________11,9ms
1024_samples____47,0ms__________23,5ms

Christian
Old 8th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
I'd love to hear more about the sound of the 16a in particular. Especially in comparison to other 16 out units.
So many pages of this thread is only about tech support.
Mine sounds great. I've had no issues to speak of running off windows 7. The beauty of it all besides the sound quality is the 16 i/o in one rack space.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Man View Post
I'm no expert but instinctively I'd suggest you hang onto your high-end preamp/s and plug them into a MOTU AVB interface's line in/s.

The converters are apparently spectesticular; that's where the magic lies. The preamps will surely be OK, but when you consider the price of all the other components, it wouldn't, IMHO, be possible to include high-end preamps in these boxes from a manufacturing-cost perspective and to sell the boxes at their current price points.
I have a 1248.

I have a UA 4710d.

I had a Quartet.

The pres on the 1248 sound very similar to the Quartet, imo... very transparent. Perfect for situations where you want to add color via DAW / plugins.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

That doesn't surprise me at all, Nikoli; thanks for that.

I expect them to be transparent, but somewhat characterless when compared to decent outboard pres. Perhaps I should've been more transparent (!) and stated that they'd probably lack mojo, IMHO.

As you implied 'though, for some uses and users, this is exactly what they'd want.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

I finally have my system all setup (1248, 24ai, 16A) and it's definitely...cumbersome? Managing all the different inputs/outputs while constantly clicking back and forth (with associated latency to get the screen state) isn't terribly ergonomic.

However, my bigger issue is that right now I'm getting intermittent high pitched squealing/distortion -- it comes and goes, and I'm having a hard time isolating it. It's not limited to a specific instrument, so I'm wondering if it's either my patchbays (Switchcraft) or if there might be something else going on that would allow for intermittent squeals/distortion to sneak through? This is with a 100% dry synth patch playing into my 24Ai then using AVB to send it to the 1248 which in turn has Focal monitors attached.

I have all three devices to clocking internally -- should I be setting one as the clock master instead? The docs sort of indicated that this wasn't necessary, but upon rebooting I found that one of the devices set itself to 44.1 vs. 48 on the others and I was getting horrific distortion.

Last edited by ModularOverkill; 12th October 2015 at 03:06 AM..
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, you should have one as the master otherwise they won't be synced up and you'll get distortion.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
Yes, you should have one as the master otherwise they won't be synced up and you'll get distortion.
That's what I assumed however the docs make it clear that if you're only using the analog inputs that it shouldn't matter? So I hadn't bothered.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Argh, this is frustrating. Lack of documentation is just killing me here as I spend hours trying to track down issues. The "Clock Status" icon isn't actually documented, so if I'm not getting proper clock I have no idea why -- and I have a relatively bog standard setup without any optical or external clock. Sometimes it syncs, other times it doesn't.

Sometimes I get it all configured perfectly, then I come back and I can't hear one of my synths. I look and there's signal on the interface...but now the other interface (e.g. 1248) isn't seeing that AVB stream anymore! I have to remove AVB streams and add them back, and then it syncs back up.

This is pretty bad so far. The theory behind the software is good, but it's pretty undercooked right now.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

You haven't identified your platform. The last firmware update has performed flawlessly on both OS X 10.10 and 10.9 for months. You did the firmware updates, right? You haven't described how this is all hooked up either, outside of mentioning AVB.

Always use the 'sync units' button, or whatever it's labeled as on your master unit every time you fire up. It should remember it, but you'll save yourself the hassle should it not by doing this.

Always glance to see that AVB streams are active. I haven't lost them since before the last update.

Open various windows in multiple browser tabs. I've said this a half dozen times in this thread. Much faster than moving within one window, and my system remembers all tabs that are pointed at the main interface. Any pointed at other interfaces come up as the main interface and get redirected at startup.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

This is on Win10. All firmware is up to date. Hooked up as:

1248 => USB
1248/24Ai/16A => MOTU AVB hub
Old 13th October 2015
Here for the gear

MOTU AVB 8M USB 2.0 Crackling/Popping

Windows Pro 7, 64 bit PC with all known Windows Audio Optimizations applied.
UPDATE: On playback I get crackling and popping when any application is open and running in the foreground. As soon as I move my DAW (Pro Tools 12) back to the foreground the crackling/popping INSTANTLY stops.

MOTU AVB Audio Installer v1.4 | Sept. 10, 2015

Firmware v1.2.3+994 (Release Date 2015-08-04)

Anyone ever run into this issue?
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Any way to turn off the LCD display on the Ultralite AVB? I know I can change the contrast but I would like to turn the display off completely when I'm doing mindless stuff like listening to YouTube and posting to GearSlutz

Might be a feature for MOTU to consider assuming it;s not there already.
Old 13th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
Any way to turn off the LCD display on the Ultralite AVB? I know I can change the contrast but I would like to turn the display off completely when I'm doing mindless stuff like listening to YouTube and posting to GearSlutz

Might be a feature for MOTU to consider assuming it;s not there already.
I asked earlier in this thread and there is no way to turn off the LCD. However, when you identify the units, the LCD flashes on and off so it seems like they could make a setting to turn it off.
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I asked earlier in this thread and there is no way to turn off the LCD. However, when you identify the units, the LCD flashes on and off so it seems like they could make a setting to turn it off.
Thanks!
Makes sense.
Old 14th October 2015
Here for the gear
No USB connection with 1248

I have a 1248 connected to my for audio optized PC (W7 professional 64) with USB. But the discovery app reports 'no motu device connected'
Not strange while the MOTUAVBHTTPServer is not running. Starting the HTTPserver manualy gives after 30 sec. error 1053.

The connection via ethernet to the webinterface is OK, but that doesnot give me recording functionality.

I contacted MOTU and the supplier of my dedicated audio PC on this problem without any result. So I am stuck right now.

Does anyone has suggestions about possible causes or on the error 1053

Thanks
Hans Huisman
Old 14th October 2015
Lives for gear

Question:
on the 8M, 16A, 1248 (AVB) there are 2 x 8 Adat ports. Can you have both analogue Ins/OUts and Adat Ins/Outs running at the same time?
E.g. the 16A has 16 analogue Ins and 16 analogue outs, + 2 x 8 Adats.

Does this mean you can have 32 Ins and 32 Outs all in use at the same time?

Could you use converter cables to have the 16 Adat Ins as 16 Analogue Ins (and 16 Adata Outs cable converted to 16 Analogue Outs?) If yes would this be a low quality conversion (for the Adat-to-analgoue 3rd party cable-box converter)
Old 15th October 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohHuisman View Post
I have a 1248 connected to my for audio optized PC (W7 professional 64) with USB. But the discovery app reports 'no motu device connected'
Not strange while the MOTUAVBHTTPServer is not running. Starting the HTTPserver manualy gives after 30 sec. error 1053.

The connection via ethernet to the webinterface is OK, but that doesnot give me recording functionality.

I contacted MOTU and the supplier of my dedicated audio PC on this problem without any result. So I am stuck right now.

Thanks
Hans Huisman
did you try to uninstall/reinstall the usb driver? tried different usb ports on your machine? unplugged other usb devices to see if there are conflicts?

maybe the machine is overoptimised for audio, meaning there are some windows services stopped, that are needed?
Old 15th October 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokut View Post
Question:
on the 8M, 16A, 1248 (AVB) there are 2 x 8 Adat ports. Can you have both analogue Ins/OUts and Adat Ins/Outs running at the same time?
E.g. the 16A has 16 analogue Ins and 16 analogue outs, + 2 x 8 Adats.

Does this mean you can have 32 Ins and 32 Outs all in use at the same time?

Could you use converter cables to have the 16 Adat Ins as 16 Analogue Ins (and 16 Adata Outs cable converted to 16 Analogue Outs?) If yes would this be a low quality conversion (for the Adat-to-analgoue 3rd party cable-box converter)
the adat in- and outputs can be used independently of the analog in/out on those interfaces.
so, yes you could have additional 16 channels with a thirdparty analog to digital converter which provides adat in/out, which makes for a total of 32 channels, usable at the same time (this is true for 44,1/48khz only, for 88,2/96khz you get only 8 channels adat, because two channels are combined to transmit the data)

don't know what you mean with adat converter cables???
the third party a/d converter is responsible for the quality of the conversion.
the digital adat interfacing via optical cable does not introduce any kind of degradation to the signal (the two devices must be clocked together, one as master, one as slave. this is possible via the adat cable, there is a clocksignal embedded in the stream).
Old 15th October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohHuisman View Post

Thanks
Hans Huisman
First things first, when I was initially running on Windows 7, make sure the USB is connected to a dedicated port and not a hub device. Another thing to do is access the MOTUAVBHTTPServer in Windows Task Manager and then take a look at the settings you have running on it. Those are a couple quick and easy checks that worked for me in the past before considering more advanced troubleshooting options.

At one point I was getting a strange error when trying to access the web app via the WebUi app icon (this was before the most recent update), but had no issues when entering the address in my web browser which I subsequently favorited (should've done that months ago, of course) and was able to access as a webpage favorite from there on out. Since the most recent update, i've switched to Mac w/thunderbolt and have zero instances of freezes or drop outs. I can't say I miss my PC now that i've spent enough time on both operating system platforms.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
the adat in- and outputs can be used independently of the analog in/out on those interfaces.
so, yes you could have additional 16 channels with a thirdparty analog to digital converter which provides adat in/out, which makes for a total of 32 channels, usable at the same time (this is true for 44,1/48khz only, for 88,2/96khz you get only 8 channels adat, because two channels are combined to transmit the data)

don't know what you mean with adat converter cables???
the third party a/d converter is responsible for the quality of the conversion.
the digital adat interfacing via optical cable does not introduce any kind of degradation to the signal (the two devices must be clocked together, one as master, one as slave. this is possible via the adat cable, there is a clocksignal embedded in the stream).
Hi tft, thanks for your reply
Ho I mentioned converter cables in case there were some cable based design, but yes I guess all I would need to do is use something like one of these:
- Behringer Ultragain ADA 8200
- SM Pro Audio Q-ADAT Analog-to-ADAT Converter
- ONYX 800R
- or other better box (these are just examples)... and I should be able to use the MOTU Adat inputs as Analogue inputs...

Thank you
Old 15th October 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
did you try to uninstall/reinstall the usb driver? tried different usb ports on your machine? unplugged other usb devices to see if there are conflicts?
maybe the machine is overoptimised for audio, meaning there are some windows services stopped, that are needed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
First things first, when I was initially running on Windows 7, make sure the USB is connected to a dedicated port and not a hub device. Another thing to do is access the MOTUAVBHTTPServer in Windows Task Manager and then take a look at the settings you have running on it. Those are a couple quick and easy checks that worked for me in the past before considering more advanced troubleshooting options.
Thks tft and Rafter Man,
Yes I tried uninstall/reinstall, different USB ports ect. I think tft is right in that some services are stopped. Tried to start all of the stopped services , but there was no difference. Additionally I noticed that some services were lacking at all compared to a standard PC.
In the meantime MOTU techsupport has contacted me, so hope they can help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search