The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmab View Post
Thanks for the info.
So this means that the 16a must be connected at all times via Ethernet.
No, if the 16A is connected to a computer that has wi-fi (or even bluetooth I think), it should be seen by the iPad or iPhone. I have no wifi in my studio, and my phone can see my AVB network through connection to the computer.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Make sure you are running the current 1.2.3.994 firmware. Manually go into the directory to deleTe the remnants of the install files and then reinstall. I had no problem and am running 8.1 64bit.
im am running the most current firmware. i am able to connect via ethernet, and direct ip address, but via usb.

how do i manually delete remnants of the install. i uninstalled and then deleted the remaining motu file under programs x86. didnt work. are there more remnants somewhere else?.. thanks.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
After several days of tweaking, searching, installing....reinstalling...and after Many bad words reverberating throughout my neighbourhood...it seems that I finally have the 16A working. In short , I would describe it as a very powerful tool that when, used correctly, will prove to be an invaluable asset. The patchbay-style functioning is very useful as well! The sound quality is refreshingly detailed and would appreciate if anyone can or would comment on the perceived and/or measured sound quality the unit has, vis-à-vis other comparable units. I would imagine, but am no sure, that the sound quality surpasses the new focusrite claret offerings. Most interested in hearing what you think of the sound quality of these units.
can i ask how you got it working. been pulling my hair out for 4 days now. thanks
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkyman View Post
can i ask how you got it working. been pulling my hair out for 4 days now. thanks
Lol! No worries it will work.
Load v1.4.
Do not plug in the USB for 16a as yet.
Reboot your computer.
Plugin the USB to16a,
Access the web program as it will appear on your desktop.
Once you do this, it should say that it has found device 16a.
If this does not work, please describe the sequential problems as your are experiencing it.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
im am running the most current firmware. i am able to connect via ethernet, and direct ip address, but via usb.

how do i manually delete remnants of the install. i uninstalled and then deleted the remaining motu file under programs x86. didnt work. are there more remnants somewhere else?.. thanks.
If you running via Ethernet...that's good. If you still cannot use USB via 1.4, try 1.2. I was able to use 1.2 with success. 1.4 is also working well.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Thanks everybody for the reports! We're aware of the issues with the Windows 1.3 driver release and are working on a fix. I'm really sorry for the trouble and lost time spent debugging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
No, if the 16A is connected to a computer that has wi-fi (or even bluetooth I think), it should be seen by the iPad or iPhone. I have no wifi in my studio, and my phone can see my AVB network through connection to the computer.
Thank you for the info. I tried , but my iPad does does see the 16a....says there are no devices. Did you somehow program the iPad via an Ethernet-based initial hookup?
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Sorry, missed that you were in Windows. My experience is Mac. I would think you could enter the device address directly in the iPad browser window if you have wifi connection between PC and iPad. No idea how PC's do networking.
Old 12th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Thank you for the info. I tried , but my iPad does does see the 16a....says there are no devices. Did you somehow program the iPad via an Ethernet-based initial hookup?
I use Windows 7 on my 16A with iPad and iPhone connectivity, and although I sometimes cannot articulate exactly how I got it to work, maybe this could help..

When connecting to the program on my iOS mobile devices, I've only been able to get it to work via the MOTU app available in the App Store. I've tried to connect through their web browsers like on the computer, but have yet to get it to work that way, although I haven't attempted to do so in a few months given the reiliability of the mobile app as of late. I believe it's the only MOTU app there other than Digital Performer, so you can't miss it. I will then need the iPad/iPhone connected to the same network through Wi-Fi, as I normally would. Then I would need the 16A connected to the same network either through the ethernet plug or USB. Since my router is far, I would usually plug directly into the computer when going the ethernet route. But since doing this will sometimes cause random changes to the sample rate, I try to minimize ethernet connection to only when I update, although since the issues I was having with the 1.3 update, I have kept both the ethernet cable and USB connected and haven't had any problems the past week

. In your computer's web browser (I stick to Chrome), you can press the ID button on the front panel of the 16A to get the IP address and then simply enter that into the web browser to connect via ethernet. The other way is open the MOTU AVB WebUI Setup icon which will take you to the "localhost" address through the USB connection. You probably already know that part, but for the sake of being thorough, that's pretty much it.

There have been some instances, mainly when I first got the unit and was trying to figure everything out where I somehow got it to work a couple other ways by screwing around with some of the Windows settings. One way was to open up Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) or entering "Task Manager" in the bottom left search bar when opening the Start menu. I would then go to the "Services" tab, and go to the process called MOTUAVBHTTPServer. Rick click, and then click "Start", and that would seem to usually get it to work through the USB connection again. You can tell if this is the problem because it will say "Stopped" on the far right column. I don't really know why this randomly happens despite me configuring all my settings to disallow such behavior, but it is what it is.

Another way i've got it working was to go to my Network connections, then click on "Change Adapter Settings" in the left column, find the MOTU 16A (I think it lets you name it, so I went with the obvious), right click, and then selected "Add to Bridge". Then I would go to the name of my computer's connection (since we're assuming being plugged into the computer by ethernet), right click, and then also select "Add to Bridge". I really have no idea why that worked and instantly re-connected the iPad/iPhone the times I resorted to that, but maybe it's worth a shot if you get as desperate as I was.

I can't explain why those last two troubleshooting options worked or if it's even the right thing to do, but it was effective in getting everything connected and synchronized with each other. That's every way I know how to get the 16A and iOS mobile devices to work through Windows 7, and if there are any other ways, I wouldn't mind knowing just in case.
Old 13th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Lol! No worries it will work.
Load v1.4.
Do not plug in the USB for 16a as yet.
Reboot your computer.
Plugin the USB to16a,
Access the web program as it will appear on your desktop.
Once you do this, it should say that it has found device 16a.
If this does not work, please describe the sequential problems as your are experiencing it.
thanks for your help but i have already done that about 100 times. i have successfully installed on a different computer so i know its not the hardware. i just installed mbox (out of necessity) so i know its not my computer. it is only the motu software that is corrupt. for some reason it wont install the drivers.....

the thing that pisses me off so much is that they knew, according to this thread, that the 1.3 update didnt work but they kept it up anyways. this never should have happened. worked flawlessly for like 6 months until i installed 1.3 and it hasnt worked since.

most likely gonna sell it so if anyone's looking make me an offer.
Old 13th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
thanks for your help but i have already done that about 100 times. i have successfully installed on a different computer so i know its not the hardware. i just installed mbox (out of necessity) so i know its not my computer. it is only the motu software that is corrupt. for some reason it wont install the drivers.....

the thing that pisses me off so much is that they knew, according to this thread, that the 1.3 update didnt work but they kept it up anyways. this never should have happened. worked flawlessly for like 6 months until i installed 1.3 and it hasnt worked since.

For what it's worth, I also struggled with install, but it did finally work and I also agree that 1.3 should have been beta-tested more than it obviously was.
I experienced a problem that may surprise you! Try swapping out the USB ports!! Believe it or not, sometimes it's the port, at a software level, that is the culprit.
Since you have come this far....give that a try. I had endless problems with a midi device, until I swapped out the port.
Also, if you were happy with it when it was functional, I would suggest you wait it out until motu get their act together and find the resolution....it may be worth it. On the other side of that argument, I too wasted a couple of days and was frustrated at what arguably , should not be occurring with a $1500 unit!
Old 13th September 2015
Gear Head

Thanks kindly, I will let you know!
Old 14th September 2015
Gear Addict
Please MOTU release a Thunderbolt/AVB Mixer/Controller Console it would the last piece of the puzzle in your AVB product line. Include Talkback Mic, Dim, Mute, Mono, and ability to A/B at least two speaker outputs. DAW control and plugin support would make it great for studio and live applications. A hybrid of something like the Presonus CS18AI and MOTU 1248.
Old 14th September 2015
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear things aren't working. I'm going to send you a PM so we can set up a call of some sort and resolve this for you ASAP.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Hi Guys I'm very impressed with specs and thought of selling my fireface 800 and replace with the 1248. Is the latest drivers as stable as RME? I'm on windows 7 cubase 8.03. Plus does the Wireless control work on iPhones/ipads properly on these units? as in I don't want to reboot turn off units during sessions.
Old 15th September 2015
Quote:
You should be able to access the interface via the computer and its wifi connection without connecting your interface directly to your wifi. Accessing the interface by its IP address won't work because it doesn't have one. The interface itself is not actually on your network. Instead, you'll be connecting to the MOTU AVB HTTP proxy server running on your PC on port 1280. This is also how you access it locally via USB (http://localhost:1280 refers to the computer itself).

One thing to check would be the Windows Firewall settings. As a quick test, if you turn off the firewall, does the device show up in the Discovery app? Can you access it via the computer's IP address on port 1280 (e.g. http://192.168.0.3:1280 Be sure to turn the firewall back on afterwards. If that works, though, you can open up port 1280 specifically in the firewall, and make it accessible only to the local network.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Addict
Many pages of stuff here that I dont have the time to read through, and the obvious search terms hit a number of posts that dont answer my question (I am sure some do). How are the preamps on these? Comparable to RME interface preamps? I really like my SCA C84 preamps (Millenia clone). Would love to find a box that allows me to ditch the outboard.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
You should be able to access the interface via the computer and its wifi connection without connecting your interface directly to your wifi. Accessing the interface by its IP address won't work because it doesn't have one. The interface itself is not actually on your network. Instead, you'll be connecting to the MOTU AVB HTTP proxy server running on your PC on port 1280. This is also how you access it locally via USB (http://localhost:1280 refers to the computer itself).

One thing to check would be the Windows Firewall settings. As a quick test, if you turn off the firewall, does the device show up in the Discovery app? Can you access it via the computer's IP address on port 1280 (e.g. http://192.168.0.3:1280 Be sure to turn the firewall back on afterwards. If that works, though, you can open up port 1280 specifically in the firewall, and make it accessible only to the local network.
Thank you MrMiller
I tried this without success.
Starting from square one.
I power up the 16A, I can access the device well via USB on my Windows 8.1 PC.
I then take my ipad and open the MOTU AVB icon from the ipad. I then see "No MOTU devices found".

I believe that it is the "connecting to the MOTU AVB HTTP proxy server running on my PC on port 1280." that is the issue. I am not sure how to do that.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the AVB network is disabled on the 16A....is this a factor and if so, how is it activated?

Last edited by lgmab; 15th September 2015 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: detail
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Head

One thing I forgpt to mention is that the AVB network is disabled on the 16A....is this a factor and if so, how is it activated?
Old 15th September 2015
Quote:
One thing I forgpt to mention is that the AVB network is disabled on the 16A....is this a factor and if so, how is it activated?
Nope, not relevant. That's because you are not connected to a network via the ethernet port on your interface.

Quote:
Thank you MrMiller
I tried this without success.
Starting from square one.
I power up the 16A, I can access the device well via USB.
I then take my ipad and open the MOTU AVB icon from the ipad. I then see "No MOTU devices found".

I believe that it is the "connecting to the MOTU AVB HTTP proxy server running on my PC on port 1280." that is the issue. I am not sure how to do that.
Just to confirm:
1. The Windows Firewall is OFF.
2. Your computer is connected to your WiFi network.
3. Your iPad is connected to that same WiFi network.

On your PC, open up the Command Prompt (right-click the start menu). Type 'ipconfig' and hit enter. We're looking for the IP address of this PC in there for your WiFi interface. On the PC still in your browser, navigate to http://{ip}:1280, where {ip} is the IP address above, something like 192.168.0.3. That should show you the web app. Next, try navigating to the same address on your iPad.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Nope, not relevant. That's because you are not connected to a network via the ethernet port on your interface.

Just to confirm:
1. The Windows Firewall is OFF.
2. Your computer is connected to your WiFi network.
3. Your iPad is connected to that same WiFi network.

On your PC, open up the Command Prompt (right-click the start menu). Type 'ipconfig' and hit enter. We're looking for the IP address of this PC in there for your WiFi interface. On the PC still in your browser, navigate to http://{ip}:1280, where {ip} is the IP address above, something like 192.168.0.3. That should show you the web app. Next, try navigating to the same address on your iPad.
Hello MrMiller,
I have NO CLUE whatsoever as to how this worked but somehow it works!! I was consistently getting errors and then just as I was about to shut it off....I went into the MOTU AVB ipad app and saw the 16A!! I hope that I wll be able to replicate this as I, embarrassingly, don't know what I did!
THANKS for your help and patience.
Old 15th September 2015
Quote:
Hello MrMiller,
I have NO CLUE whatsoever as to how this worked but somehow it works!! I was consistently getting errors and then just as I was about to shut it off....I went into the MOTU AVB ipad app and saw the 16A!! I hope that I wll be able to replicate this as I, embarrassingly, don't know what I did!
THANKS for your help and patience.
Glad it's finally working! I would not recommend running with the Windows Firewall off, however. You should be able to setup a Firewall rule that allows incoming connections on port 1280 for your local network, however, that should have the same result you're seeing now with the benefit of keeping the firewall running.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Head

To confirm , you are correct, the firewall MUST be off for it to work. Of course, the port 1280 is opened as an exception while leaving the global firewall intact.
Old 16th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Quote:

I'm sorry to hear things aren't working. I'm going to send you a PM so we can set up a call of some sort and resolve this for you ASAP.
thanks. i had been working with someone from tech already. couldnt figure it out. ended up having to do a clean install of windows. been installing stuff for a day and a half now, but its finally working.

on a side note. i spent a couple days in the midst of this trying to find something to replace the 16a so i could sell it, but i couldnt find anything. at least not for pc. this thing really has no peers. makes me appreciate it even more now, but made me even madder a couple days ago.
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
thanks. i had been working with someone from tech already. couldnt figure it out. ended up having to do a clean install of windows. been installing stuff for a day and a half now, but its finally working.

on a side note. i spent a couple days in the midst of this trying to find something to replace the 16a so i could sell it, but i couldnt find anything. at least not for pc. this thing really has no peers. makes me appreciate it even more now, but made me even madder a couple days ago.
Oof—I'm sorry you went through all that. I've been there myself many times over the years. Never a good time. At least everything's working again after the whole ordeal.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Head

Just a recap then.
I finally am UP and RUNNING! with the 16A. The MAIN points I absorbed are the following;

The new 16A and its siblings are bringing several new and innovative features to the fore. It is normal therefore, to experience "some" growing pains as well as some discomfort....
From all that I have learned here however, I would attribute half of the malaise I experienced to my lack of technical knowledge and the other half to motu for lack of troubleshooting-guidance and premature launch of 1.3v.
In all fairness however, their videos are well presented and generally DO show the "how" function well. I would venture to say that it is all the "holes" in between that were not addressed and/or anticipated. Windows is at best...complicated and as such a truly step-by step guidance is imperative.

Having said that however, once the 16A (and most likely its brothers) are up and running....I believe that you will be hard-pressed in finding anything that is as POWERFUL! These are powerful beasts that can do MANY things when and where our wills and determination to step up to the learning curve is addressed.

For those in the know, I would greatly appreciate it if you would comment on the sound quality of these...in comparison to other units. Unfortunately, my scope is limited to MOTU , focusrite and Tascam. I am curious about how these compare to the Apollo, Apogee and any other units that fit within its range.

From My experience, the Focusrite was a step or three above the Tascam and the Motu was similarly above the focusrite. The imaging was more defined and the bottom end is tighter and more controlled with the Motu.
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Glad it's finally working! I would not recommend running with the Windows Firewall off, however. You should be able to setup a Firewall rule that allows incoming connections on port 1280 for your local network, however, that should have the same result you're seeing now with the benefit of keeping the firewall running.
I noticed something interesting this morning and am wondering if anyone else has as well:

When accessing the 16A's mixing tab via an ipad, the "controls" parameters are limited to only one selection; eq, gate comp etc...whereas I can select all of them via a windows-based usb connection.

Have any of you remarked this?
Old 18th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
I noticed something interesting this morning and am wondering if anyone else has as well:

When accessing the 16A's mixing tab via an ipad, the "controls" parameters are limited to only one selection; eq, gate comp etc...whereas I can select all of them via a windows-based usb connection.

Have any of you remarked this?
when you speak about the motu avb app, yes there is only one category choosable at a time. i guess it is meant like this, to avoid scrolling and accidentally changing parameters with that. tribute to the small screenspace ...

i still vote for a dedicated channelstrip view, where all channeleffects are conveniently laid out for touchcontrol! i hope we will see this soon ...
Old 18th September 2015
Lives for gear

Question

New MOTU Ultralite AVB owner. I'm impressed but also VERY confused. First off the construction of this unit is top notch. Looking at pictures of MOTU units I guess I just assumed they had plastic cases. Not so. Nice solid metal case.

So I installed it under Windows 10, managed to allow it to firmware update and I'm getting really bad clicks and pops no matter what I do. I'm talking about hitting 2 notes on Ivory and it clicks and pops. Raise latency, USB, buffers it gets better but of course performance and RTL sucks.
So, I unplug the Ethernet connection to my router and bingo I'm running at the lowest settings (64 samples and minimum latency on the USB buffer.
I've got Ivory running balls out with 1000 voices, large memory model and all options turned on and in Reaper I'm getting 4.8 msec RTL (2.4 in and 2.4 out).

That's just 0.4 msec higher than my PCI Delta card, also under Windows 10.

Any idea why having the Ethernet and USB connected at same time screws things up?
I probably have some setting somewhere set incorrectly, which brings me to......

The Mixer...

I am COMPLETELY and TOTALLY flummoxed by this beast.

For example, I'm trying to use the RTL utlity from Oblique to do a true hardware RTL even though with my Delta card Reaper's number are spot on.

So I run a TRS patch cord from Input 1 to Output 1, turn off monitoring, assign Analog Input 1 to Analog Output 1 in the Routing Tab and try to run the utility.

It's not seeing any signal. Nothing on the AVB software meters either.

So, is there any Youtube or other video on how this mixer works?
The manual is very poor IMHO and doesn't go into the routing much.

I know I am missing some basic part of all this but I just don't get how this thing works.
At all.
Old 19th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

i don't know, if i understand correctly what you want to do.
in your RTL tool, you choose the asio usb driver from motu, correct?
the routing for a hardware roundtrip has to be "analog in" to "to computer", and "from computer" to "analog out".

in the routing matrix you have all the in- and outputs of the interface itself, plus the in- and outputs of the usb driver that connects to the computer.
it is pretty powerful to route anything anywhere, but can get confusing ...
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopy View Post
So, is there any Youtube or other video on how this mixer works?
The manual is very poor IMHO and doesn't go into the routing much.

I know I am missing some basic part of all this but I just don't get how this thing works.
At all.
Yes.
Look here.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search