The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
the new driver works for me win 7 64bit, but the web discovery app does not work well (connected ethernet & usb sends me to the router page or the the ip of my pc)... so I turned off "run at startup" I don't need it...
I have same problem w/1.3v try 1.2 and it works.
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Nut

Times like these I wish I had my own IT staff....

So I uninstalled everything and went back to retroactively apply the previous update, 1.2 instead of 1.3...

I can finally get connected via the iPad again, but I keep getting this error message when trying to do so over Chrome on my PC. It's the same one I was getting after I first installed 1.3, and i'm still getting it now despite going backwards in a system restore three (3) times now. 1.2 was working gloriously until I read the words "new update", and impulsively installed it in a rush of mismanaged expectations..

Thing is, I've never even seen this error message before, and have about exhausted what little intellectual horsepower I had left in figuring how to troubleshoot it. Perhaps a better mind out there might recognize what this means; until then, I wouldn't recommend PC owners follow in these footsteps and likewise install 1.3 just yet.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-webapp-error.jpg  
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmab View Post
I have same problem w/1.3v try 1.2 and it works.
Same here... just rolled back and finally can use USB without the Ethernet connection. Yay!
Old 8th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeraz View Post
Same here... just rolled back and finally can use USB without the Ethernet connection. Yay!
Thanks everybody for the reports! We're aware of the issues with the Windows 1.3 driver release and are working on a fix. I'm really sorry for the trouble and lost time spent debugging.
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Nut

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
Thanks everybody for the reports! We're aware of the issues with the Windows 1.3 driver release and are working on a fix. I'm really sorry for the trouble and lost time spent debugging.
Good to know. Initial frustration aside, the product is brilliant. The only thing *I* can think of right now that would blow me away more, is if it could record direct to (PC) disk like the Metric HALO I used to have, bypassing the DAW completely Then I could record and edit from my iPAD in addition to doing the mixing thing.

Well done. A few months ago if you told me I'd own a MOTU, I would have politely pointed out that they are nice interfaces/products, but not aligned with my needs and purposes. Now I am a fan.

~Mark
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

I remember something about this question way back in the thread, but can't find it:

If DP is set for 32 bit float, is the path from DP to an AVB interface 32bf? And from one AVB interface to another? Is the entire AVB path always 32bf (I see that mentioned in the general AVB spec) regardless of source word length?

The AVB mixer is identified as 32bf.
The AVB interfaces are identified less specifically with regards to DAC, though the Sabre32 Ultra overview sheet refers to 32 bit input and filter architecture, soft mute and volume control.
With DSP volume manipulation in the DAC output itself, or with AVB mixer volume manipulation, or even a 32bf source sent directly to the DAC at unity: is dither applied, or is it straight word length truncation to 24 bits? It may differ for each case, and the mention of 32 bit filter architecture in that context may or may not imply dither.

I see Audio/MIDI describing the 16A as 32bit float with DP8 set for 32bit float recording.

Last edited by emrr; 9th September 2015 at 03:03 AM..
Old 9th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

congrats to the new member of the family, stage b16 !
great to see the concept evolving with the new stagebox.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Addict
I'm glad to see more units being developed for AVB. The Stage B16 is a great stagebox.
Old 10th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

has anyone else noticed, that the makeup knob from the leveler in the dsp mixer, shuts the channel completely down, when set to 0% ?
this seems like a wrong behaviour to me.
makeup at 0% should do no gainchange at all to my understanding of a "makeup" function. that point is at ca. 20% right now and from there to 0% it seems to go from 0db to -infinite.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
has anyone else noticed, that the makeup knob from the leveler in the dsp mixer, shuts the channel completely down, when set to 0% ?
makeup at 0% should do no gainchange at all to my understanding of a "makeup" function. that point is at ca. 20% right now and from there to 0% it seems to go from 0db to -infinite.
Yeah, I've noticed some other weird behavior, too, like when you increase the reduction past a certain point on, say, a snare. I get this weird affect like I am losing the connection with the signal intermittently, haha—almost like a gate is set behind the scenes. I figure they'll get it all sorted in future firmware updates... that and the silly reverb, let's hope.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Nut

Oh... and on the "wish list"? Dim and Mute buttons on the Device tab Phones, Monitor and Main controls!!! :-)
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
The leveler is an LA-2A model, that knob at zero is off on an LA-2A.
Old 10th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
The leveler is an LA-2A model, that knob at zero is off on an LA-2A.
just to be sure, with "off" you mean "no sound gets through", audio is silenced completely?

if that"s how the hardware behaves, so be it.

what is the benefit of this? anybody using this range to bring the level down?
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Yes.
'The benefit' is it's an accurate model. Whether that's truly useful is a different question. It could be said that the gain range is skewed today because we tend to run much hotter signals than were ever anticipated when the LA-2A was designed.
Old 10th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

now i am through the manuals and schematics of the teletronix la2a.
i don't see any mention of this anywhere???

the makeup-gain in the schematics is an amplifier, that is capable of 40 db of gain amplification.
so setting it to 0, would mean no gain added after the compression stage.
that would still let audio through, with the reduction applied by the compression circuit.

but what i talked about is, that the audiostream is totally silenced.
is there some kind of switch incorporated in the hardware, that is not mentioned?
there is no sign anywhere of signal attenuation, done by the makeup knob.

i am wondering ...
i never used the hardware, so i respectfully accept any education on this from the hardware-users
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Look at the schematic again. The gain reduction section is before the control in question, if it's all the way down the amp has no input, therefore no output.
Old 10th September 2015
For those of you on Windows, we just released a driver update (1.4) which fixes the aforementioned issues with local web app access over USB introduced in 1.3. See MOTU.com - AVB for the download. Let us know if you have any issues.

EDIT: Seems like the website is having issues right now. Here's a direct link:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/a...ller%201.4.exe

Last edited by mrmiller; 10th September 2015 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: Link update
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Sweet!!!!
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Hello All,
I am running a 16A, via windows. I am able to use the USB facility to access the mixer and routing app.
I would like to know if it is possible for me to also use my iPad via my home wi-fi , without needing to use an Ethernet connection to the hub?
Thanks
Old 11th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Look at the schematic again. The gain reduction section is before the control in question, if it's all the way down the amp has no input, therefore no output.
thanks for patience!
i got it now
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello All,
I am running a 16A, via windows. I am able to use the USB facility to access the mixer and routing app.
I would like to know if it is possible for me to also use my iPad via my home wi-fi , without needing to use an Ethernet connection to the hub?
Thanks
If the 16a is connected to your network via ethernet to your wi-fi/router and if DHCP is enabled (usually is) it is assigned a private IP address. You should be able to open a browser on your iPad and punch in that private IP address to gain access to the mixer.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

ever since the last update i havent been able to get my unit to work again. even after going back to restore point, windows doesnt detect a driver. i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling from 1.0 to 1.4. every time i turn the motu on i get "device driver was not successfully installed. tech support had me try it via Ethernet and still nothing. device manger has little yellow exclamation mark. under "Device status" it says

"The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

There is no driver selected for the device information set or element.

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver."

when i click update driver windows cant find any. when i click driver details it says "no drivers are required or have been loaded for this device.

theses are Hardware ids

USB\VID_07FD&PID_0005&REV_0105&MI_03
USB\VID_07FD&PID_0005&MI_03

win 7 pro i7 -2600 3.4 ghz 32 gb ram samsung evo pro. im connected through usb 2.0. all ports are 2.0

PLEASE HELP!!! i havent gotten anything done for 3 days.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

there was a thread on motunation with the same problem but it ends with no resolution. so im not the only one

MOTUnation.com • Unable to install drivers for 16A on Windows 8.1 x64

thanks
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Addict
Is thunderbolt now supported in Windows 10 with the new drivers? I also agree that we need Talkback, Dim/Mute and Mono switch on the Web App.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mulcahy View Post
If the 16a is connected to your network via ethernet to your wi-fi/router and if DHCP is enabled (usually is) it is assigned a private IP address. You should be able to open a browser on your iPad and punch in that private IP address to gain access to the mixer.
Thanks for the info.
So this means that the 16a must be connected at all times via Ethernet. In my case my router is about 60 feet away and it's not possible to have a permanent connection to it.
What a bummer , as it would have been great to be able to use the iPad wirelessly via my existing home wi-fi.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkyman View Post
there was a thread on motunation with the same problem but it ends with no resolution. so im not the only one

MOTUnation.com • Unable to install drivers for 16A on Windows 8.1 x64

thanks
Make sure you are running the current 1.2.3.994 firmware. Manually go into the directory to deleTe the remnants of the install files and then reinstall. I had no problem and am running 8.1 64bit.
Old 11th September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
So this means that the 16a must be connected at all times via Ethernet. In my case my router is about 60 feet away and it's not possible to have a permanent connection to it
You can use an inexpensive Wi-Fi range extender to get around this, such as this one:

300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender TL-WA850RE - Welcome to TP-LINK
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Budd View Post
You can use an inexpensive Wi-Fi range extender to get around this, such as this one:

300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender TL-WA850RE - Welcome to TP-LINK
Thanks
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

I am experiencing an issue with the 16A, and wonder if any others have.

When I open the USB-based software link for the routing and mixing sections, I usually DO NOT get all the inputs showing. Most times, the first few channels show and they flicker on and off rapidly. The way out of this is to re-enter the software so as to reset. This works most times as I then get the full input/output channels showing up. The issue seems to only occur when I am accessing the "Mixing" section and is more pronounced when accessing the full controls options enabled.

Does anyone have some insight as to why this is occurring?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Head

After several days of tweaking, searching, installing....reinstalling...and after Many bad words reverberating throughout my neighbourhood...it seems that I finally have the 16A working. In short , I would describe it as a very powerful tool that when, used correctly, will prove to be an invaluable asset. The patchbay-style functioning is very useful as well! The sound quality is refreshingly detailed and would appreciate if anyone can or would comment on the perceived and/or measured sound quality the unit has, vis-à-vis other comparable units. I would imagine, but am no sure, that the sound quality surpasses the new focusrite claret offerings. Most interested in hearing what you think of the sound quality of these units.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search