The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
Just wanted to give motu and Mr. Miller props for helping me out with my 1248 that failed. They had a replacement out to me two weeks after I shipped my unit and paid for the return shipping. Here's the kicker: I'm in the Philippines and I originally bought the unit in the US and had it shipped here so I was figuring there would be a lot more headaches involved, but it was quite painless, really. Mr Miller helped me out with this even though it's not even his department, so thanks him!
Glad to hear everything's sorted now. Happy music-making!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
But I do want to echo the sentiment that the pre and post-sales support from MOTU has been nothing but stellar.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
I don't seem to be able to find the dimensions of a MOTU 16A online. If anyone could let me know them it'd be much appreciated. It's the front to back depth I'm particularly concerned with.
Hmm... we should really list the physical dimensions in the tech specs on the site. I'll relay that to the web crew. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaws View Post
So I'm on Windows 10 and even over usb the latency is awesome. I'm getting sub 4 seconds round trip at 64 samples. I wasn't able to run it this low with the old drivers under Windows 8.1.
I really hope you mean 4 milliseconds... but great that things are working even better in your setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
So you have your 1248 installed and working with Windows 10? I installed the drivers yesterday but I couldn't get the 1248 to be recognized. I'll troubleshoot it later I guess. Thanks.
We just released a driver update for Windows today, actually. It includes the new AVB Discovery app for Windows as well as full compatibility with Windows 10. Grab it at MOTU.com - AVB. Let us know whether that resolves your issue.
Old 3rd September 2015
Lives for gear

It took me a lot of head scratching before I got my 24ai and 1248 to work the way I expected in Win10, and I'm still not sure they do, but part of that is because the patchbay I got (Switchcraft) uses the TASCAM/AES pin outs and I bought TASCAM TDIF db25 cables instead.../facepalm. Anyway, I think it's working now. The 24ai gets VERY warm I've noticed.

Routing is complex as hell, but I'm not sure how the could make it easier. I have the 24ai setup as "input expander" and funneling 6 AVB streams out of it into my 1248. This means the 1248 is the only aux mixer in the system, which I guess is unavoidable? I'm not sure what kind of spaghetti would result if I tried to have the 1248 and 24ai both sending streams to each other...
Old 3rd September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

here is a work in progress of my growing lemur touchcontrol surface:
touching the freq slider will enable the eq band, doubletapping the gainslider reset the gain ... lemur is pretty powerful ...
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-image_4089_0.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-image_9605_1.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-image_6771_2.jpg  
Old 3rd September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

the only problem atm is a big lag in reacting to osc messages (soundwise) in the avb mixer.
already sent my description to support and hope to hear back soon, as this makes it unusable right now.
Old 3rd September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
here is a work in progress of my growing lemur touchcontrol surface:
touching the freq slider will enable the eq band, doubletapping the gainslider reset the gain ... lemur is pretty powerful ...
Great!
Old 3rd September 2015
rlg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
So ive been using my 1248 for 4 months in my live rig. ZERO issuues at all. rock solid! Routing synths internally and externally with stems to FOH. in ear monitor for myself. Using Ableton live 9. 128mb buffer. Sounds incredible too. Gonna add the Monitor 8 and AVB switch soon as well as 4 in ears for the other guys. I gotta say the routing on this thing is so amazing. I also agree that the internal reverb is just plain horrible. Lol they gotta change that. Overall an incredible value and a rock solid performer.
That's great. I've taken some 1248s on the road for a few live shows this summer, but we did have some hiccups, though. Our setup has each band member with his own 1248, taking care of his own guitar, synth, vocals, etc. through individual laptops, sending relevant channels to an AVB stream, receiving other's AVB streams for personal in-ears, and all the AVB streams go to another 1248 at FOH. In total, 4 1248s and an AVB switch on stage, 1 1248 and an AVB switch at FOH, connected by a long tactical ethernet cable.

In the end, it worked out fine, but there were some gray-hair-inducing niggles:
- Heat and sun. We did one midday gig in 90+ degree weather in direct sunlight. During soundcheck, this caused a couple of 1248 boxes (individually, at random) to lose AVB sync, and would only resync after rebooting. Held up fine during the show, though.
- Routing. So flexible, but so fragile. With 4 band members each delivering their own AVB stream to the network, channel assignments really need to be coordinated and locked down in advance. Even then, with one inadvertent flick of the mouse if you happen to be on the routing tab, all hell can break loose. There was no bass going to FOH (fine in in-ears) at another soundcheck, creating consternation - the problem was an accidentally mis-ticked box in the routing tab of one 1248, and it took a while to track it down. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a lock/unlock button for the grid on that tab, because there's just danger aplenty. Also, does the AVB protocol not support channel names? Or does MOTU not implement it? Would be very helpful.
- Control surfaces. The OSC implementation of the AVB boxes is incomplete. I've mentioned before in this thread that not all published functionality actually works (e.g. controlling channel trims via OSC). Also, the lack of 2-way OSC really hinders any serious control surface implementation.

Otherwise, really good boxes, and this modular approach suits our band -- everyone can go work on their sounds individually, add recorded tracks with great audio quality at home or wherever, and just plug in for rehearsals, performances or joint recording sessions.
Old 3rd September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
- Control surfaces. The OSC implementation of the AVB boxes is incomplete. I've mentioned before in this thread that not all published functionality actually works (e.g. controlling channel trims via OSC). Also, the lack of 2-way OSC really hinders any serious control surface implementation.
that's what i am experiencing right now ...
i hope motu will take the time to make the OSC implementation complete asap.
to have OSC working reliably would suit the flexibility of these interfaces very well!

thanks for sharing your experience! interesting to read, what setups others are using.
regarding a safety feature for the routing, a big LOCK switch would be great!
Old 3rd September 2015
rlg
Gear Maniac

Further to my note two or so posts up, another issue we noticed live was that laptop connections to the MOTU box web pages via thunderbolt and USB were unreliable. We don't notice this in the studio, because the AVB network is connected to the wireless router, which connects every laptop, so there are at least two possibilities for network connections. But when that network infrastructure was taken away, and laptops were only connecting to individual AVB boxes via thunderbolt or USB, and not to each other, web connections would drop and we couldn't get them back. We'd have to do hand signals to someone with a working connection to remotely log into a relevant AVB box and adjust in-ears or whatever. Not optimal, and an unpleasant surprise. I'll note that this experience was in July. Perhaps drivers have been updated to fix some of this since then.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlg View Post
]
- Heat and sun. We did one midday gig in 90+ degree weather in direct sunlight. During soundcheck, this caused a couple of 1248 boxes (individually, at random) to lose AVB sync, and would only resync after rebooting. Held up fine during the show, though.

Also, does the AVB protocol not support channel names? Or does MOTU not implement it? Would be very helpful.
They run really hot. I can imagine them getting flakey at an outdoor gig in the sun.

You can rename almost anything if you click in the right place. I addressed good naming conventions in an earlier post here.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
They run really hot. I can imagine them getting flakey at an outdoor gig in the sun.
Yeah...they run super hot. I'm not even sure it's safe to run them stacked? Anyone doing that with good success or are people leaving 1U in between?
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
It may work but it's certainly not ideal. If you want the best sound from your box, use TRS going into a balanced input and TRS with the ring lifted going into an unbalanced input.
I'm still confused on this. I have some effects devices that take unbal inputs and outputs. I can't just use TS/TS cables to hook them up without getting distortion? If I need TRS/TS then would that just be a regular insert cable?
Old 4th September 2015
Quote:
I'm still confused on this. I have some effects devices that take unbal inputs and outputs. I can't just use TS/TS cables to hook them up without getting distortion? If I need TRS/TS then would that just be a regular insert cable?
For inputs to the interface, it doesn't matter—either balanced or unbalanced is fine. For outputs from the interface to an unbalanced destination, however, you should use a modified TRS cable with the ring lifted. A reamping box might be a viable alternative as well.
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah...they run super hot. I'm not even sure it's safe to run them stacked? Anyone doing that with good success or are people leaving 1U in between?
The manual says not to run them stacked, leave a space between.
Old 4th September 2015
rlg
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
You can rename almost anything if you click in the right place. I addressed good naming conventions in an earlier post here.
Yes, you can click and name anything in your own routing page, mixer, etc., but if I name the channels of my outgoing AVB streams, all of the other boxes only see generic AVB Stream X... Would be so much more useful to see what the providers of any AVB stream have named their channels, instead of listening to them, guessing, or doing cumbersome manual coordination. Or am I missing something?
Old 4th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
For inputs to the interface, it doesn't matter—either balanced or unbalanced is fine. For outputs from the interface to an unbalanced destination, however, you should use a modified TRS cable with the ring lifted. A reamping box might be a viable alternative as well.
I can't seem to find these modified cables anywhere -- I'm not exactly handy with soldering iron either. Any ideas how to make this work?

In my case I'm using this for effects send/return with unbalanced gear, and I have a lot of it (Strymon, OTO, etc.).
Old 4th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I can't seem to find these modified cables anywhere -- I'm not exactly handy with soldering iron either. Any ideas how to make this work?

In my case I'm using this for effects send/return with unbalanced gear, and I have a lot of it (Strymon, OTO, etc.).
Just buy standard TRS cables and cut the connection going to ring. Get cables with metal solder on connecters that you can open up. Molded cables won't work.
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Nut

I received mine yesterday.

Brilliant. Beautiful sound, crazy feature set.

Works great with my MacBook pro. Insane that I can control the mixer from an iPhone. Nicely done.

That said, no Web app functionality for me with my PC. 8-core tower with 9 USB ports, two of which are USB 3 and can charge USB devices. Class compliant works fine, just no control from any browser. Tried every port.

Bought a 50' Ethernet cable, and plugged right into the router so it is on the network. Upgraded the firmware.

Can control the mixer over Ethernet, but the AI heavy lifting is all over USB. Weird, huh? Support says I should not run both Ethernet and USB at once, but my Ethernet cable is to the router, not the computer, and it works perfectly that way. The USB applet launches, but Neither "Discovery," nor the Web UI setup are successful.

Still, I wish I could access the browser with USB only.

All and all, really like the product so far. hoping I can resolve the USB issue.

Last edited by Jeraz; 5th September 2015 at 03:55 AM..
Old 5th September 2015
Gear Nut

Hi,

Long time MOTU user here. I will be getting a 1248 when I upgrade my MacPro to the latest model. Right now I use a MOTU 1224 but with a Mytek Stereo 192 ADC as the front end for A/D. With all of the good reports on the 1248 sound, I was wondering if anyone had compared it to the Mytek? Because if it was that good I could sell the Mytek. I would be surprised if it were that good though.

If I keep the Mytek I will need to get some sort of converter to switch its AES/EDU output to the 1248 SP/DIF. Is there any audio disadvantage to doing this? And in DP can I select the 1248 SP/DIF as the clock source?

Regardless, looking forward to the DA improvement over the 1224.

Thanks,

Spoff

Last edited by Spoff; 5th September 2015 at 10:36 PM..
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Head

Motu 16A USB access error

Hello All,
PLease help.

I am unable to access my 16A via USB (Windows Setup) via

Congratulation

I receive an error with no access.

I am updated with latest firmware.

PLease let me know how I may access the 16A via USB. As a sidenote, I can access it via Ethernet-cabled connection.
thanks in advance!
Old 6th September 2015
Here for the gear
Does anyone else find the MOTU Discovery IOS experience a bit clunky? On my iPad mini the faders are tiny, and on iPhone the faders don't fit on the screen fully.

Am I missing something?
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmab View Post
Hello All,
PLease help.

I am unable to access my 16A via USB (Windows Setup) via

Congratulation

I receive an error with no access.

I am updated with latest firmware.

PLease let me know how I may access the 16A via USB. As a sidenote, I can access it via Ethernet-cabled connection.
thanks in advance!

Either the MOTU AVB WebUI Setup app or press the ID button on the front panel, scroll down to "Network", take note of the IP address, and enter it into your web browser. I recommend Google Chrome, as it seems to have the highest overall rate of success both personally via my own 16A and from what other posters have indicated.

If you have the lastest firmware and drivers, that should be all you need. Otherwise, you should call their tech support on the next business day, which should be Tuesday because of the Labor Day holiday.
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Head

THank you for the reply!
I tried this and still I am not ale to access.
PLease note that I DO have access when plugged in via Ethernet connection.

The problem is access via USB.

I did install the software and when I try to access :

http://localhost:1280/

I am given a
The webpage cannot be found

response.

Any other ideas?
Thanks again!

Also, when I access the network via sel key, the IP: is blank! No IP shows up.
Old 6th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

It does get hot, and I recall the manual recommending leaving at least a unit's worth of clearance for ventilation, although I recall mrmiller saying something about having a couple of these units stacked on top of each other for 8 hr intervals per day without consequence. I rarely turn mine off since I use it nearly every day and only shut it off if i'm going to be away for more than a day at a time. I currently keep my 16A in the top slot of my rack, set atop a Portico II channel, which can get fairly hot as well, although I usually power it down when I'm not using it. I still have some clearance above though, and always indoors at room temperature. I frequently check on it and I haven't suspected a reason to be concerned so long as it stays in climate controlled conditions and isn't left unsupervised for days at a time.

So I guess if you're in a climate controlled environment leaving at least some space above or below and on the sides along with not leaving it running while unsupervised for long periods of time, I haven't seen evidence to suggest that would damage the unit; but if you have the space to allow clearance on all sides of the unit, it would surely not hurt to practice such precaution.
Old 7th September 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zygmunt View Post
Does anyone else find the MOTU Discovery IOS experience a bit clunky? On my iPad mini the faders are tiny, and on iPhone the faders don't fit on the screen fully.

Am I missing something?
yes, i am too. even with a normal ipad. the faders are ok to control, but everything else is clunky. no way to finetune an eq for example.

i am investigating the use of lemur (ipad app) via OSC, but having an unususal lag in the mixers reaction soundwise (visuals are immediate).

support has not answered my question regarding this since a week.
if this would work, i'd be totally happy with that solution.
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

Hello MrMiller,

in the new driver description / release notes for Win Driver 1.3 it looks like thunderbold with windows 10 (7/8) is now supported, is this right?

MOTU.com - Driver Download Links and Change Log - MOTU Hardware :
Quote:
MOTU AVB Installer v1.3 (Release Date 2015-09-02)

Added AVB Discovery app for Windows, which locates all MOTU AVB interfaces connected, either directly through USB or Thunderbolt or on your network, and displays them in a list.
is this right or is it a simple c&p error from the mac driver description?

Thank you in advance
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

Hello All,

After much pain and MANY MANY bad words...LOL! I have found something that will help Windows-based users here. The new 1.3v is NOT working. I tried the covertly obvious but not so "obvious" trial of using an older (1.2v) software and I WAS able to load the 16A as a local host.
I hope that they fix 1.3v asap.
Hope this helps to alleviate the frustrations windows users WILL experience via 1.3v as I have endured it.

All told, however, the 16A is POWERFUL, sounds great and is likely to remain an integral part of my setup.

I know that this question has been beaten to death: but does the sound quality of this unit remain among the best at this price point? I am coming from a Focusrite 2i2...LOL! background. When I plugged the 16A in....I heard things in my mix I had not previously and as such....cannot be a reliable reviewer of the sound quality vis-à-vis other "pro" units. Thanks!
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Hello MrMiller,

in the new driver description / release notes for Win Driver 1.3 it looks like thunderbold with windows 10 (7/8) is now supported, is this right?

MOTU.com - Driver Download Links and Change Log - MOTU Hardware :

is this right or is it a simple c&p error from the mac driver description?

Thank you in advance
I was NOT able to get 1.3V to run on windows!! After days of frustration and many bad words....LOL! I used the retro 1.2v with success.
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmab View Post
Hello All,

After much pain and MANY MANY bad words...LOL! I have found something that will help Windows-based users here. The new 1.3v is NOT working. I tried the covertly obvious but not so "obvious" trial of using an older (1.2v) software and I WAS able to load the 16A as a local host.
I hope that they fix 1.3v asap.
Hope this helps to alleviate the frustrations windows users WILL experience via 1.3v as I have endured it.

All told, however, the 16A is POWERFUL, sounds great and is likely to remain an integral part of my setup.

I know that this question has been beaten to death: but does the sound quality of this unit remain among the best at this price point? I am coming from a Focusrite 2i2...LOL! background. When I plugged the 16A in....I heard things in my mix I had not previously and as such....cannot be a reliable reviewer of the sound quality vis-à-vis other "pro" units. Thanks!

Ok, I see what you were talking about now, as on my 16A with Windows, I installed the latest firmware update and all I can say is that I highly regret having done that now. I've been banging my head against the wall for the better part of the last 6 hours troubleshooting this and i'm ready to give up. I probably should've done what you did 5 hours ago, but at least maybe I can still salvage this day somehow now...

I wonder how other Windows users are getting along with this update?
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

the new driver works for me win 7 64bit, but the web discovery app does not work well (connected ethernet & usb sends me to the router page or the the ip of my pc)... so I turned off "run at startup" I don't need it...
Old 7th September 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
Ok, I see what you were talking about now, as on my 16A with Windows, I installed the latest firmware update and all I can say is that I highly regret having done that now. I've been banging my head against the wall for the better part of the last 6 hours troubleshooting this and i'm ready to give up. I probably should've done what you did 5 hours ago, but at least maybe I can still salvage this day somehow now...

I wonder how other Windows users are getting along with this update?
Hello,
Yes I too spent the better part of an entire day swearing!
The firmware 1.2.3 is fine and required for Windows function, it is the 1.3v software that is errant.
YOu should load the latest firmware and then you should load 1.2v NOT 1.3v(latest) software, you will find the 1.2v in the historical software section.\
Hope this helps.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search