The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd August 2015
Gear Addict
Lenovo announced a pair of the new Thinkpad P Series workstations that have two Thunderbolt 3 ports. I'm hoping Motu will release thunderbolt drivers for Windows.
Old 22nd August 2015
Lives for gear

I've given up on getting the Presonus RM32/CS18ai config since it lacks the number of mix busses as the MOTU stuff, and the CS18ai keeps getting delayed interminably.

I'm looking at this primarily as a synth patchbay with easy submixes to a large number of external effects (8 stereo send/returns), and with at least 24 line level inputs. Based on that I think I could do a 24ai + 16A and I'd be fine?

Assuming that's good, then I'm fine with a dedicated PC/Mac to control the mix -- I hate having a PC in the loop, but it seems that controlling from a PC is more reliable/better than trying to manage it from an iPad? Does that seem right? If so, if I purchased a dedicated large form factor touch PC to control would that essentially give me an entirely integrated solution?
Old 24th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
I've given up on getting the Presonus RM32/CS18ai config since it lacks the number of mix busses as the MOTU stuff, and the CS18ai keeps getting delayed interminably.

I'm looking at this primarily as a synth patchbay with easy submixes to a large number of external effects (8 stereo send/returns), and with at least 24 line level inputs. Based on that I think I could do a 24ai + 16A and I'd be fine?

Assuming that's good, then I'm fine with a dedicated PC/Mac to control the mix -- I hate having a PC in the loop, but it seems that controlling from a PC is more reliable/better than trying to manage it from an iPad? Does that seem right? If so, if I purchased a dedicated large form factor touch PC to control would that essentially give me an entirely integrated solution?
a touch pc (with at least 24" screen) to control the dspmixer of the interfaces seems a good idea to me.
yes, it would give you an entirely integrated system, with the additional option to record inputs and effect returns, when you need to.
controling the dsp mixer via ipad is not really a solution right now, imho.
too small and sluggish, not really laid out for touchcontrol on smaller screens (apart from aux gains maybe).

what you need to think of is, that when you connect one unit to the pc via ethernetcable, you can't connect the two via avb/ethernet without a switch.
you can connect to the pc via usb though.

the presonus rm32 looks very interesting too, especially the controlsoftware seems to be much more advanced regarding usability on different devices.
why did you gave up on it? because of having only 8 return channels (4 stereo), when using 24 channels for inputs?

i am really hoping that motu will come up with a dedicated control app for touch devices (via osc maybe). they could write a template for touchosc, which should not be too much of a hassle for them ... crossing fingers ...
Old 24th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
a touch pc (with at least 24" screen) to control the dspmixer of the interfaces seems a good idea to me.
But that rules out a Mac, which seems to be more reliable for the MOTU gear in general.

Quote:
yes, it would give you an entirely integrated system, with the additional option to record inputs and effect returns, when you need to.
That's what I need.

Quote:
controling the dsp mixer via ipad is not really a solution right now, imho.
too small and sluggish, not really laid out for touchcontrol on smaller screens (apart from aux gains maybe).
Well...I'm probably stuck with a mouse/keyboard setup, which breaks my heart =(

Quote:
what you need to think of is, that when you connect one unit to the pc via ethernetcable, you can't connect the two via avb/ethernet without a switch.
you can connect to the pc via usb though.
I'm assuming I'd need an AVB switch.

Quote:
why did you gave up on it?
Limited number of internal mixers compared to MOTU, and ergonomically the RM series have front mounted XLRs which are ergonomically crappy for a studio installation.

Quote:
i am really hoping that motu will come up with a dedicated control app for touch devices (via osc maybe). they could write a template for touchosc, which should not be too much of a hassle for them ... crossing fingers ...

The Presonus app seems really nice. The MOTU one (CueMix?) is TouchOSC based but I've never used it (I don't believe it has a demo mode).
Old 24th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
The Presonus app seems really nice. The MOTU one (CueMix?) is TouchOSC based but I've never used it (I don't believe it has a demo mode).
the motu app for the avb line is not cue-mix, that's for their other line of interfaces. the avb web app is running inside the interface itself and is viewed/controled via webbrowser. it has the ability to receive osc commands. there is no app on the computer to install, just type the http adress in the browser. alternatively there is an option to connect via usb to it.
Old 27th August 2015
Quote:
But that rules out a Mac, which seems to be more reliable for the MOTU gear in general.

That's what I need.

Well...I'm probably stuck with a mouse/keyboard setup, which breaks my heart =(

Not necessarily. I bought an ASUS for a relatively small amount of money just to control the mixer using touch. Working great when accessed via chrome. Edge and IE is a mess. My main DAW is hosted on a MacMini 2011 server.
Old 27th August 2015
Here for the gear

I've been experiencing some issues getting AVB discovery server to connect over thunderbolt. Has anyone else noticed this? If I connect via ethernet AND thunderbolt everything seems to work fine. Disconnecting ethernet and trying to connect hangs at the bar animation loading icon. This isn't a major issue. When I need to make changes I can always connect the ethernet cable which I leave next to my thunderbolt display for the occasional firmware update. It would be nice to have it fixed though.
Old 27th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
Not necessarily. I bought an ASUS for a relatively small amount of money just to control the mixer using touch. Working great when accessed via chrome. Edge and IE is a mess. My main DAW is hosted on a MacMini 2011 server.
i am investigating the use of an all-in-one touchcomputer for controling the avb mixer (or maybe a 13" touchpad, but that seems still too small to me).
what model are you using? screen size?

at the moment i am building a touchOSC layout for controling the mixer, which is an option to get it working with an ipad (the "normal" webapp mixer layout is not really controlable conveniently and securely on small touchscreens, apart from faders and some buttons maybe).

but i hope motu will add some more tabs to the web app, to make touchcontrol also possible on smaller screens like ipads. or maybe write their own avb touchcontrol app.
who knows ...
mister miller did not elaborate about future plans regarding this matter.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Speaking of AVB. It would be over the top if the AVB switch had a direct link to the computer.

So on say a tighter budget you could put a 1248/16a/8m in one room and setup shop as engineer in another room. Particularly useful for remote recordings getting rid of the snakes.
Old 27th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

here is an idea i had recently:

what about another product for the avb line for parallel safety backup-recordings, when working with avb interfaces.
i am imagining a small "interface" with avb ethernet input and a usb output, that allows for connecting harddrives directly. it should allow to record avb-ethernet audiostreams direct to disk.
to specify what channels should be recorded and for specifying a naming scheme, there could be a small webapp, like with the other products of the avb line.
options to control this on the interface itself could be discussed, but maybe simple record, pause, stop buttons are enough. or just switches to activate record for groups of 8 channels.
overall it should be easy and fast to record things in parallel to the daw recording as backup.
Old 28th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

or used as a simple digital harddrive-recorder.
Old 30th August 2015
Lives for gear

I'm intrigued by a touch screen option for controlling the mixer. The best AIO system I can see that supports touch is the Dell XPS 27 AIO, but it lacks TB (USB3 only). So now my choices boil down to touch + Win8.1/USB3 or non-touch + iMac/TB.

Any thoughts on those? I run Mac and Windows normally so I'm agnostic, but I feel like being stuck manipulating the AVB mixer with a mouse + keyboard will suck, but that connecting over USB will be just as bad in a different way.
Old 30th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

i am stuck with usb, because of the older macbook pro i have.
it has never let me down though.
i would not rule it out as an option.

right now i am investigating lemur on ipad for building a controlsurface with a channelstrip for convenient mixer control over OSC. the options in lemur are very flexible.
it is possible to switch eq bands on, when touching the freq slider for example.

the only problem i have right now is a long lag between moving a control and hearing a change in sound with the lemur controlsurface i built. visually the change is reflected instantly in the browser webapp.
could be a conflict of having usb and ethernetconnection (via wifi) at the same time with the machine (it's osx yosemite in this case).
if i get this to work properly, live mixing only through the motu will be a joy.
building the controler in the lemureditor takes time and dedication, but hopefully it will be worth it.
one downside right now is, that the avb mixer is only receiving over OSC and not sending.
i hope that will change in the future, this is also a question to mr. miller.
any chance to see an update of the OSC behaviour in the near future?
Old 30th August 2015
Quote:
...one downside right now is, that the avb mixer is only receiving over OSC and not sending.
i hope that will change in the future, this is also a question to mr. miller.
any chance to see an update of the OSC behaviour in the near future?
This is my main complaint about the OSC implementation of the AVB series. One touch in the web app, or another OSC remote, and everything is out of visual sync.
Old 30th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
This is my main complaint about the OSC implementation of the AVB series. One touch in the web app, or another OSC remote, and everything is out of visual sync.
yes, sad story ...
for smaller setups with only one remotecontrol it's not too bad, but still uncomfortable.

i really hope they will adress this in the NEAR future. it would make the whole concept of the avb units much more usable!!
Old 30th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

@rolandvg99

how is your experience with controling the webapp mixer via your touch pc?
Old 30th August 2015
Quote:
@rolandvg99

how is your experience with controling the webapp mixer via your touch pc?
My best experience yet, but it's very browser dependent. IE and Edge is not great atm, but Chrome works ok. Mostly tap and enter a value for those small sliders and knobs. Faders are easily controlled by "grabbing" a fader and slide it to the apropriate position. Response is way faster than my aging iPad rev 3.
Old 30th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
My best experience yet, but it's very browser dependent. IE and Edge is not great atm, but Chrome works ok. Mostly tap and enter a value for those small sliders and knobs. Faders are easily controlled by "grabbing" a fader and slide it to the apropriate position. Response is way faster than my aging iPad rev 3.
ok, thanks.
yes, chrome is the best option here too on the macbook with osx yosemite.

a channelview tab in the webapp mixer with an easy to view "switchtable" with channelnames would be a great help in controling those small eq, comp, gate, hpf controls more conveniently.
they should be much bigger, maybe more sliders for control via touch.
Old 30th August 2015
jyc
Gear Addict

Does anyone know if the 16A can be used as a standalone ADAT converter?
Old 31st August 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
I think yes: MOTU.com - AVB Presets
Old 31st August 2015
Lives for gear

So ive been using my 1248 for 4 months in my live rig. ZERO issuues at all. rock solid! Routing synths internally and externally with stems to FOH. in ear monitor for myself. Using Ableton live 9. 128mb buffer. Sounds incredible too. Gonna add the Monitor 8 and AVB switch soon as well as 4 in ears for the other guys. I gotta say the routing on this thing is so amazing. I also agree that the internal reverb is just plain horrible. Lol they gotta change that. Overall an incredible value and a rock solid performer.
Old 31st August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
definitely yes.

44.1/48khz:
16 analog line in to 16 digital out adat (2 banks of 8 channels),
16 digital in adat (2 banks of 8 channels) to 16 analog lineout.

for 88.2/96 khz you've got only 8 channels adat in/out.

on top of that, everything is freely routable via a routing table which is incredibly flexible (as said in the post above).
plus the dsp-mixer inside the interface, which can be integrated in the audiostreams in every imaginable way via the routing table.

once you've got your setup programmed and saved, the device powers up in the last state.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Just wanted to give motu and Mr. Miller props for helping me out with my 1248 that failed. They had a replacement out to me two weeks after I shipped my unit and paid for the return shipping. Here's the kicker: I'm in the Philippines and I originally bought the unit in the US and had it shipped here so I was figuring there would be a lot more headaches involved, but it was quite painless, really. Mr Miller helped me out with this even though it's not even his department, so thanks him!
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

I dove in and got a 1248 + 24ai for my Win10/iPad setup, and so far it has been great. Haven't put it through its paces 100% just yet though.

But I do want to echo the sentiment that the pre and post-sales support from MOTU has been nothing but stellar.
Old 1st September 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
I dove in and got a 1248 + 24ai for my Win10/iPad setup, and so far it has been great. Haven't put it through its paces 100% just yet though.

But I do want to echo the sentiment that the pre and post-sales support from MOTU has been nothing but stellar.
So you have your 1248 installed and working with Windows 10? I installed the drivers yesterday but I couldn't get the 1248 to be recognized. I'll troubleshoot it later I guess. Thanks.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgage View Post
So you have your 1248 installed and working with Windows 10? I installed the drivers yesterday but I couldn't get the 1248 to be recognized. I'll troubleshoot it later I guess. Thanks.
Sort of =) I haven't actually recorded anything with it, I'm just using it as a standalone mixer right now. I installed the software and access it via Chrome on Win10 and iPad via AVB Discovery.

Unrelated: uh, how are people checking to see if their levels are too hot? I don't see any clipping indicators anywhere, and I'm DEFINITELY getting some clipping.
Old 1st September 2015
Lives for gear

Also, I'm still waiting for my Switchcraft TRS/DB25 pass through panels to arrive, so I haven't done a full hookup (one synth + a ton of external effects).
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

I don't seem to be able to find the dimensions of a MOTU 16A online. If anyone could let me know them it'd be much appreciated. It's the front to back depth I'm particularly concerned with.
Old 2nd September 2015
Lives for gear

So I'm on Windows 10 and even over usb the latency is awesome. I'm getting sub 4 seconds round trip at 64 samples. I wasn't able to run it this low with the old drivers under Windows 8.1.
Old 2nd September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar View Post
I don't seem to be able to find the dimensions of a MOTU 16A online. If anyone could let me know them it'd be much appreciated. It's the front to back depth I'm particularly concerned with.
My 8M has a depth of <20 cm. Fits in a SKB shallow rack (sans connections).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search