The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
We're at August 2015 and still no new driver for WIN. Latest WIN driver is MOTU AVB USB Installer 1.1.exe which is dated Feb 18. It is clearly a driver issue, there is a CPU usage from system interrupt process in Win 8.1 64 bits which is sometimes above 5-8%.

When will the new WIN driver come out?

By the way also latest firmware for the UltraLite AVB (1.2.2+139), which is dated June 3, 2015 does not fix "saving presetes thru USB issue". This is not really a fast and responsive customer care.
Hey Joel, not sure how far back you posted your original issue but what exactly is going on maybe we can help?
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
When will the new WIN driver come out?

By the way also latest firmware for the UltraLite AVB (1.2.2+139), which is dated June 3, 2015 does not fix "saving presetes thru USB issue". This is not really a fast and responsive customer care.
Sorry for not being more active recently! We just released a driver update (1.2) and firmware update today (1.2.3+994) that fixes the above issue with saving presets on Windows, among other things. The driver now includes an audio analysis suite with a spectrogram, phase plot and more. Let me know how if any of you run into any issues or, positively, if you notice things are improved for your setup!

Here's the changelog:

- The web app Device tab now displays AVB stream connection status notifications.
- When another AVB device comes on the network, existing audio streams on the network are no longer interrupted.
- Improved AVB compatibility with non-MOTU devices, including support for n-channel AVB streams.
- Improved how the AVB network handles sample rate changes.
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli View Post
Anyone have both headphone jacks working on their 1248 ?

I have the first jack working normally... and by normally I mean I can hear audio from my computer.

For some reason I can't get the second jack to work normally. It seems like it's set up just like the first jack but nothing comes out.

The goal is to have a performer tracking, using one headphone jack to hear themselves from the DAW (in this case, Logic). And then have me using the other headphone jack to monitor their performance/DAW.
Try checking the Routing tab to make sure you have the intended audio routed to the second headphone output. If you see a blue activity indicator next to the headphone output when you have audio going, then you should be hearing something from that output. If so and you're still not hearing anything, double check in the Device tab that the headphones aren't muted and the level is high enough.
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaBrain View Post
Is it acceptable to have both the thunderbolt cable and AVB ethernet cable connected to the computer at the same time? I intend to run in TB mode for lowest latency, but my reasoning for this is leaving things set up for updates. Firmware updates are only allowed over network. My rack is inconvenient to access from the rear. It is a major pain to plug in the network cable every time a firmware update issues. If this causes problems, I may just leave the cable attached at the rear of the 1248 and leave it disconnected at the computer side ready to plug in where access is more convenient.
It should be okay, but you probably want to make sure that the Mac doesn't acquire your interface over AVB. If you go into Audio MIDI Setup and go to the Network Devices (Window > Show Network Device Browser), uncheck your interface and you should be good to go.
Old 5th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
The driver now includes an audio analysis suite with a spectrogram, phase plot and more.
I updated but can't figure out where the audio analysis suite is. Nothing new I see in either the WebUI or the USB Audio app. I'm on Win 7 64bit if it matters.

Also, can I make a suggestion for the routing tab? I'd like the option to flip the input and output sections. For me it seems more natural to view the audio flowing from left to right versus the current way which has audio going right to left. A toggle would give users an option.
Cheers,

KanaryProduction
Old 5th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanaryProduction View Post
I updated but can't figure out where the audio analysis suite is. Nothing new I see in either the WebUI or the USB Audio app. I'm on Win 7 64bit if it matters.

Also, can I make a suggestion for the routing tab? I'd like the option to flip the input and output sections. For me it seems more natural to view the audio flowing from left to right versus the current way which has audio going right to left. A toggle would give users an option.
Cheers,

KanaryProduction
The installer should've installed an EXE called "MOTU Audio Tools." Try typing the name into the start menu to see if it shows up.

As for the orientation of the routing grid, it's something we've talked about in the past. It seems like there are dueling conventions in the audio world and both orientations are common.
Old 5th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

KanaryProduction
I have the 16A on a Win 7 PC. At first I was having an issue locating this as well, but I was able to get it after first updating the new 1.2.3+994 firmware update. I ended up having to go back to the MOTU site and going into the "history" of all the driver updates. I attached a screenshot of the URL and what the page looks like for anybody else having a problem. After the driver update was applied, there was an icon called "MOTU Audio Tools", which could also be found by searching for "MOTU Audio Tools" in the Start Menu like mr.miller mentioned. From there you can access the spectrograph, which I included in another attachment. It's separate from the web app, I guess.

Going to play with it a bit now...

mr.miller, will there be any update in the app store for iPad tablets and iPhones? It looks like the firmware update applied since they're connected via the same wifi connection at the MOTU, but figured I might be missing a step on this.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-motu-driver-update.jpg   MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-motu-audio-tools.jpg  
Old 5th August 2015
Lives for gear

Audio Tools is dang handy! Excellent.
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Try checking the Routing tab to make sure you have the intended audio routed to the second headphone output. If you see a blue activity indicator next to the headphone output when you have audio going, then you should be hearing something from that output. If so and you're still not hearing anything, double check in the Device tab that the headphones aren't muted and the level is high enough.
I checked the routing. Didn't see a problem until I clicked the expander button on the From Computer column. Setting Phone 3 & 4 to From Computer 1 & 2 did the trick.

What are all those different From Computer settings for anyway?
Old 6th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
I have the 16A on a Win 7 PC. At first I was having an issue locating this as well, but I was able to get it after first updating the new 1.2.3+994 firmware update. I ended up having to go back to the MOTU site and going into the "history" of all the driver updates. I attached a screenshot of the URL and what the page looks like for anybody else having a problem. After the driver update was applied, there was an icon called "MOTU Audio Tools", which could also be found by searching for "MOTU Audio Tools" in the Start Menu like mr.miller mentioned. From there you can access the spectrograph, which I included in another attachment. It's separate from the web app, I guess.

Going to play with it a bit now...

mr.miller, will there be any update in the app store for iPad tablets and iPhones? It looks like the firmware update applied since they're connected via the same wifi connection at the MOTU, but figured I might be missing a step on this.
Hmm... the driver download URL may have been wrong earlier but it appears to be the same as on the update history page now.

As for the iOS Discovery App, there are no changes on that end so there's nothing to update on your phone or tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli View Post
I checked the routing. Didn't see a problem until I clicked the expander button on the From Computer column. Setting Phone 3 & 4 to From Computer 1 & 2 did the trick.

What are all those different From Computer settings for anyway?
Glad it's working now! The different From Computer channels are the available outputs from the DAW's perspective. Unlike a lot of audio interfaces, the streams going To Computer and From Computer are not tied to specific physical ports. You can route them however you please in the Routing tab. If you send a stereo pair from your DAW to outputs 3-4, those will show up on From Computer 3-4, for example, which you could then route to any available output such as AVB, the internal mixer, analog outs or even back into the computer. And you can mirror From Computer 1-2 across multiple outputs, as you're doing with the headphones currently. Or run it through the mixer to combine with a raw mic signal for a low-latency submix.

It's incredibly flexible and powerful but it's a little mind-warping and can take a bit to wrap your head around. If you haven't already, check out the Routing tutorial videos at motu.com/avb and the long-form written tutorial:
MOTU.com - Tech Tips | MOTU AVB | AVB Routing Tab
Old 6th August 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
The installer should've installed an EXE called "MOTU Audio Tools." Try typing the name into the start menu to see if it shows up.

As for the orientation of the routing grid, it's something we've talked about in the past. It seems like there are dueling conventions in the audio world and both orientations are common.
I upgraded directly from the device tab page and confirmed the new driver version. I tried Rafter Man's solution of downloading the v1.2 installer and that worked so it must have been a link problem.

Audio Tools looks great! Is there a manual for it? I couldn't find one on MOTU's site or on my PC where it installed.

As for the grid orientation, making it a toggle the user can set would satisfy both conventions. Hopefully, that's not too difficult to implement.

Cheers,

KanaryProduction
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Head

Quote:

Audio Tools looks great! Is there a manual for it? I couldn't find one on MOTU's site or on my PC where it installed.

Cheers,

KanaryProduction
http://cdn-data.motu.com/downloads/a...er%20Guide.pdf
Old 6th August 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Sorry for not being more active recently! We just released a driver update (1.2) and firmware update today (1.2.3+994) that fixes the above issue with saving presets on Windows, among other things.
I confirm it works now! I just installed Latest firmware (1.2.3+173) for the UltraLite AVB (August 4, 2015) and now I can save presets from USB!

I will give feedback on driver performance in the next weeks.

Last edited by JoelFan; 6th August 2015 at 06:05 PM..
Old 6th August 2015
Quote:
Unfortunately the bug's still there on my Ultralite AVB. I just installed Latest firmware (1.2.3+173) for the UltraLite AVB (August 4, 2015) but I cannot save presets from USB! Still!

I will give feedback on driver performance in the next weeks.
Sorry, there appears to be some general confusion about this last update. You're not alone in this and I'm looking into ways to make it clearer going forward. We simultaneously released both a firmware update and a driver update. You should update both the firmware on the interfaces (as you've done) and the driver on any computers that are using the interfaces. Once you've updated the driver as well, the preset saving should work.

The driver updates are available at MOTU.com - AVB in the big blue boxes under step 1. I've talked to our web crew about cleaning up the wording there to make it more clear that those are the drivers and that an update is available. It's admittedly quite opaque right now.
Old 7th August 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Sorry, there appears to be some general confusion about this last update. You're not alone in this and I'm looking into ways to make it clearer going forward. We simultaneously released both a firmware update and a driver update. You should update both the firmware on the interfaces (as you've done) and the driver on any computers that are using the interfaces. Once you've updated the driver as well, the preset saving should work.
Yes it works now. Confirm. You're right when you say that the new driver is mandatory to have it all working. I'm so glad now.

I'm also trying to stress my configuration to see if the driver performance and stability has improved. But I will tell later on.

Thank you very much for your support.
Old 7th August 2015
Gear Nut
From first checks I've made, the new WIN Driver is outstanding. I can easily reach 64 buffer and minimum latency with my I7-4710 and WIN 81. Reaper is showing a wonderful latency of 2.4/2.4 ms. I love you MOTU.

By the way, even the out volume seems louder now, maybe it is an improvement coming from new firmware.
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

I'm having a problem with the Motu AVB HTTP Server Service stopping as well, seems to happen after my laptop is on for a few hours. I'm running windows 7 64 bit service pack 1 on my thinkpad t410. I used to just use my 1248 for extra converters in the studio but just tried setting it up to use it for live recording with my laptop. Seems to work well other than the http server service stopping and needing to be manually restarted
Old 8th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
From first checks I've made, the new WIN Driver is outstanding. I can easily reach 64 buffer and minimum latency with my I7-4710 and WIN 81. Reaper is showing a wonderful latency of 2.4/2.4 ms. I love you MOTU.

By the way, even the out volume seems louder now, maybe it is an improvement coming from new firmware.
Has anyone else noticed lower latencies with the new driver? I'd try it myself but my 1248 isn't with Mr St the moment.
Old 8th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Audio Tools is dang handy! Excellent.
+1176 Awesome!
Old 8th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

yes, it's a handy little tool. thanks for that.

to be honest, i was hoping for an analysis solution that would run inside the web app on the units dsp, so it could be inserted anywhere in the audiostream.
also the new analysis tool takes quite some cpu to run on my older core2duo 3ghz processor on win8 (around 30%), so its only for some special cases applicable here i guess.

absolutely highest on my list for new features/changes are better options for controling the mixer of the units (running a 112D here).

- a channelview page, with all effects and controls of one channel laid out for easy controlability.
- faster reaction of the webapp mixer on tablets. here on my ipad it is way to slow to come even close to a comfortable feeling of controling it. with the same wifi connection through the computer connected at the same time, it is much better, but could still be a little more "immediate".

i have to test the new usb driver a little more, to see if it is more reliable now.
i had some seldom dropouts of the audiostream on playback and one time )after hours of recording) with recording. left me a little unsecure ...
Old 8th August 2015
tft
Gear Nut

thoughts on the new analysis tool:

- the size of the settings (fontsize, sharpness, brightness) on the sides of the display is hard to see. it needs to be bigger, sharper and maybe brighter, to be easily seen and edited.

- maybe add the possibility for choosing output channels from the daw?
Old 9th August 2015
Here for the gear

Hello All,

I´m gonna go 50 pages back and talk again about the A/D converters.

I was planing to get the 24Ai and 24Ao until I read about the difference in A/D converters of the 24Ai with the other models.
I guess it was an engineering need, cause it was a bummer.

Has anyone actually compared the A/D of the 16A to 24Ai ?
16A uses CS5381
24Ai uses CS5368

I didn´t see any reference to the 24Ai in the AD-DA loop topic

I know in paper the ones of the 16A should be better, but I would like to get a confirmation from someone about how much of a difference it is, if possible someone who actually heard both (I know it may be biased and subjective).

I have patch panels with DB25 outputs, so I was really hoping to just plug the 24Ai and 24Ao with DB25 to DB25 cables, plus the 24 chanels per module was what I was after. I rather not have to use 2x 16A, and DB25 to Jack cables.

If it helps, my circuit is:
Mics -> PatchPanel -> Pres (Tubes, 500Series, etc.) -> PatchPanel -> A/D -> DAW
I do all the mix, effects, etc. in the DAW

I would love to do the test myself, but no-one has stock in my country (I´ll be in NYC next month, so I wanted to define the purchase beforehand)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 10th August 2015
Lives for gear

I believe the Monitor 8 uses the same A/D as the 24ai. I hadn't use the A/D side of it, only using my 16A, until last week. I have not made a direct comparison, but can say I was not dissatisfied with the result. I was tracking a live acoustic americana band in front of a small private audience with a stereo ribbon pair, and I don't find the detail level lacking in any way. Without knowing it, I wouldn't proclaim them to be obviously different converters. Direct comparison might reveal something, YMMV, etc.
Old 12th August 2015
monitor 8 mono switch

Hi,

Really enjoying working with the 16a for a few months and about to add a monitor 8 and was wondering if it's possible to add a mono switch to the main outs in a firmware update.Talkback would be another great addition utilizing one of the inputs with a software switch. Perhaps a separate "studio control room" page similar to routing, mixing, aux etc could facilitate this. Going further, perhaps a breakout cable leading to a small box with a bigger master volume control, mono and talkback buttons and little mic would be cool.I plan to use a small touch device on the table to control the master volume for now so I can leave the m8 in the rack.Thanks for these great boxes motu and MMiller for all the great input

Mike
Old 15th August 2015
Got my new ASUS TP300LA working good using Chrome. One thing though: The fact that the faders pop to the spot where you press in the fader area can in some cases lead to rather unpleasant situations. Any possibilities for an option to make these react to movement only?
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Maniac
Does anybody have roundtrip latency numbers (in ms) of the ultralite AVB? Doesn't matter what system, as long as you declare what you're running with. Thanks!
Old 20th August 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Does anybody have roundtrip latency numbers (in ms) of the ultralite AVB? Doesn't matter what system, as long as you declare what you're running with. Thanks!
I was running win 7 64bit on an AMD 1090t @ 4GHz 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM RTL latency of the ultralite AVB (USB) was 7ms @ 48k 128 sample in Ableton Live 9

I just built a new comp running win 10 64bit with a i7 5820k @ 4Ghz 16GB DDR4 2800 RAM RTL latency was 7.3ms in Ableton Live 9

Old 20th August 2015
Gear Maniac

Any tech info on the mic pres in the 1248? They sound amazing! Are they IC's, what kind, extra components, etc... Definitely a big step up from my track 16... Making me think of just getting rid of my isa one as well...
Old 21st August 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by noize_unit View Post
I was running win 7 64bit on an AMD 1090t @ 4GHz 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM RTL latency of the ultralite AVB (USB) was 7ms @ 48k 128 sample in Ableton Live 9

I just built a new comp running win 10 64bit with a i7 5820k @ 4Ghz 16GB DDR4 2800 RAM RTL latency was 7.3ms in Ableton Live 9

Thanks, that helps a lot!
Old 21st August 2015
Gear Nut
My numbers are declared some posts above this one.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search