The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpguser View Post
Mr Miller,

Reverb send would be a logical next step in my mind. Roland M-48's allow users to "send" to a reverb processor on each aux mix. This change may be big but it would really give musicians the ability to fully customize their mix.

Thanks,

Jerry
but then you need more than the only one Reverb that is in the Motu Mixer, i think. You'll need one reverb per aux, so for 4 auxes and 1 mixer reverb, you'll need 5 instances, I don't think the DSP would do that.
Old 22nd July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoli View Post
Anyone else have trouble un-muting by pressing the buttons on front?

For instance, I mute my speakers when I want to use my headphones... and visa versa. When I want to unmute either of them I usually press the physical button, but it often doesn't work. I'll have to either dial it back up by twisting the knob a zillion times, or revert to the browser.

Are my buttons broke or is something in the firmware not working right?
I have the same problem. It happens when I power cycle my 1248. It doesn't seem to remember the previous level before I muted it so you have to turn it all the way back up again.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Nut

16A owner on a Windows 7 PC here again....My issues of losing communication with the device hasn't happened in over a week now. I'm really not sure why it's been more stable all of the sudden. There hasn't been an update since June 3, and nothing had changed aside from me keeping the MOTU HTTP item in the Windows Task Manager "Services" column in a minimized window for quick recall whenever I need to select "Start Process" whenever it would switch to the "Stopped" state randomly. I doubt that had anything to do with this current streak of stability, but I feel it's worth mentioning for any other interested folks who run a similar setup to not let that be a reason to discourage confidence in the unit. It's a pretty damn sweet setup, and it seems like it has only gotten better since purchase. Looking forward to the next update and what this would entail. I've been visiting the MOTU site daily, but still haven't found much of anything new lately.

Has anybody else been having markedly improved stability in maintaining communication with the device on all their platforms? It's been solid on everything for me the past week. Iphone, iPad, computer web browser, all perfect.
Old 22nd July 2015
Gear Maniac

Just purchased a 16A and used for the first session...amazing sound..thanks Motu guys,awesome. I do have a question tho...using the unit as an interface only through Thunderbolt,, when I go into record,I lose monitoring on channels one and two...any help on this? I wastold ifI disablelow latency monitoring, this does not occur..Thoughts? Thanks,Mario
Old 23rd July 2015
Here for the gear

i agree, but it would be really cool. I have been using a roland m-48 in church for a long time and it is very spoiling. we have 16 encoders, we have a reverb send on every channel, a 3 band eq on every channel and panning on every channel. You can dial up an amazing iem mix.
Old 23rd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
Just purchased a 16A and used for the first session...amazing sound..thanks Motu guys,awesome. I do have a question tho...using the unit as an interface only through Thunderbolt,, when I go into record,I lose monitoring on channels one and two...any help on this? I wastold ifI disablelow latency monitoring, this does not occur..Thoughts? Thanks,Mario
Could you describe your setup a little more and which DAW you're using to record? It's possible you have your DAW set to not monitor record-enabled tracks for low latency monitoring. If you want a setup like that, you'll have to do some additional setup on the interface to use the 16A's mixer. Instead of routing From Computer 1-2 directly to your monitors, you'd route your analog inputs into the 16A's mixer along with From Computer 1-2 and route the mixer's outputs to your monitors. Otherwise, if you're fine monitoring through the computer, try changing the preference in your DAW to monitor while recording.
Old 23rd July 2015
Gear Maniac

mrmiller...yes, can describe more..Thanks for the assistance. Trident console/outboard preamp line outs into the Motu, using Motu as an interface only, not using the Motu mixer..Thunderbolt into Mac Mini/Protools 11. Routing PT out to Motu... 1-16 individual outs to trident line ins for monitoring. 3-16 worked fine while recording, was just was issue with outs 1 and 2.
Old 27th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
Reporting back from an earlier post re: driver disconnect.

Since switching my browser from Chrome to Firefox, I have not had the "can not communicate with driver" error message.

It is hard to say that this is the fix for that problem since the problem was periodic and it just might not have popped up over the last day or two. (Sort of like disproving the negative) But after two days of light to moderate usage, I have had no problem.

Will continue to monitor and report if anything changes
Well, I doubt it is the solution, although it might help, Chrome being reportedly somewhat less stable than firefox.

It happens to me still, no matter what browser I use and it often happens with the tablets / phones that are communicating wit the device via the wi-fi router. I use it as a FOH and monitor mixer for a band and the instrument players can set their own aux mixes, which oft gives the same error message.

I usually control it via usb though, and also found out that the sound itself (that is streaming from the computer via usb) can drop out or cut indefinitely if I unplug the router, which is also weird.. Also, it matters not, whether I control it via usb or over the internet, it still comes up wit the error code from time to time..

I hope @mrmiller and his folks are hard at work to hammer this out. I supplied a bunch of experiences / windows event log info on the problem and it seems to be around still after a couple of firmware updates.
Old 27th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus1 View Post
I lost my 1&2 outputs awhile back and spent about 20 minutes checking my routing until I realized the Mute was enabled on my computer routed to those outputs.
Old 28th July 2015
Gear Maniac

Robby, Thanks...The issue is the unit mutes output when recording with playback working fine during playback. This occurs without changing anything. Just automatically mutes 1-2 during recording. Thanks,Mario.
Old 28th July 2015
Here for the gear

Is it acceptable to have both the thunderbolt cable and AVB ethernet cable connected to the computer at the same time? I intend to run in TB mode for lowest latency, but my reasoning for this is leaving things set up for updates. Firmware updates are only allowed over network. My rack is inconvenient to access from the rear. It is a major pain to plug in the network cable every time a firmware update issues. If this causes problems, I may just leave the cable attached at the rear of the 1248 and leave it disconnected at the computer side ready to plug in where access is more convenient.
Old 28th July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaBrain View Post
Is it acceptable to have both the thunderbolt cable and AVB ethernet cable connected to the computer at the same time? I intend to run in TB mode for lowest latency, but my reasoning for this is leaving things set up for updates. Firmware updates are only allowed over network. My rack is inconvenient to access from the rear. It is a major pain to plug in the network cable every time a firmware update issues. If this causes problems, I may just leave the cable attached at the rear of the 1248 and leave it disconnected at the computer side ready to plug in where access is more convenient.
It's totally fine to have both plugged in and active at the same time. the device was designed to work that way
Old 28th July 2015
Gear Nut

Does anyone have the Motu 8M and 1248 mic-pre E.I.N (Equivalent Input Noise) specs? a-weighted is fine.
Old 28th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by magoostus View Post
It's totally fine to have both plugged in and active at the same time. the device was designed to work that way
Initially it was not, and would freak out with both connected. We covered this many pages back. I haven't noticed my system respond any differently so far, I can't keep them both connected. Latest firmware, etc etc.
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Oh Doug, you poor bugger. Still.

Then there's DHP...
Old 30th July 2015
Lives for gear

Hey Doug, I have the 16a and was thinking about picking up the monitor 8 and hear you have the same setup. I was wondering if this has replaced your previous headphone amp setup? I'm wondering about volume (loud enough for the drummer etc), and if it offers any special routing for headphone mixes? Not a lot of info about it on the web.
Old 1st August 2015
Lives for gear

I have not replaced my existing headphone amp with it, wish I could report more. In a quick test they get very loud, I have not tried 2 sets on the same channel yet of given them to a loud drummer though. You can get any stereo signal you create in the AVB mixer or preceding workstation to any individual headphone channel.
Old 1st August 2015
Gear Nut

For any 16A owners, has anybody tried plugging their headphones directly into one of the analog outputs rather than using a dedicated headphone amp?

That's what I currently have been doing, and since it seems to work reasonably fine from what I can tell, I've yet to feel compelled to change that.
Old 1st August 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
For any 16A owners, has anybody tried plugging their headphones directly into one of the analog outputs rather than using a dedicated headphone amp?

That's what I currently have been doing, and since it seems to work reasonably fine from what I can tell, I've yet to feel compelled to change that.
Yes. I'm doing this with my band's in-ear monitors. Works fine. Only drawback is, that you don't have a hardware knob for the volume. But you can always change the output level in the AVB app or use a passive monitor amp as I do.
(like that one: Fischer Amps Mini Bodypack Jack with VC - Thomann UK)
Old 2nd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Yes. I'm doing this with my band's in-ear monitors. Works fine. Only drawback is, that you don't have a hardware knob for the volume. But you can always change the output level in the AVB app or use a passive monitor amp as I do.
(like that one: Fischer Amps Mini Bodypack Jack with VC - Thomann UK)
I have my 8M paired with an Art HeadAMP 4 PRO which works great for a relatively small amount of money.
Old 2nd August 2015
Lives for gear

hey all does any one here own a motu 8m? i'm looking to record synths and drum machines in to reaper on windows7, i will not be using any rooting or effects on the 8m its self i will be handling all the rooting and effects from with in reaper would the 8m be a good fit for this way of working? thanks trey.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Nut
MOTU AVB installer 1.1

We're at August 2015 and still no new driver for WIN. Latest WIN driver is MOTU AVB USB Installer 1.1.exe which is dated Feb 18. It is clearly a driver issue, there is a CPU usage from system interrupt process in Win 8.1 64 bits which is sometimes above 5-8%.

When will the new WIN driver come out?

By the way also latest firmware for the UltraLite AVB (1.2.2+139), which is dated June 3, 2015 does not fix "saving presetes thru USB issue". This is not really a fast and responsive customer care.
Old 3rd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
We're at August 2015 and still no new driver for WIN. Latest WIN driver is MOTU AVB USB Installer 1.1.exe which is dated Feb 18. It is clearly a driver issue, there is a CPU usage from system interrupt process in Win 8.1 64 bits which is sometimes above 5-8%.

When will the new WIN driver come out?

By the way also latest firmware for the UltraLite AVB (1.2.2+139), which is dated June 3, 2015 does not fix "saving presetes thru USB issue". This is not really a fast and responsive customer care.
Having a 14 year background in MIA I'll say Motu is clearly above average when it comes to support and development. The fact that they still develop drivers for their old interfaces says it all. After 10 years of battling audio in Windows I went OSX back in 2007. Not saying OSX is that much better than Windows, but Apple develops for 100s of combinations of known hardware while Microsoft battles millions of dodgy hardware combinations which is more or less compatible.
Old 3rd August 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
Having a 14 year background in MIA I'll say Motu is clearly above average when it comes to support and development. The fact that they still develop drivers for their old interfaces says it all. After 10 years of battling audio in Windows I went OSX back in 2007. Not saying OSX is that much better than Windows, but Apple develops for 100s of combinations of known hardware while Microsoft battles millions of dodgy hardware combinations which is more or less compatible.
You are suggesting me to switch to MAC?

Not acceptable.
Old 3rd August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelFan View Post
You are suggesting me to switch to MAC?

Not acceptable.
Not telling you to switch anything. Thing is after doing digital audio for close to 30 years, including my Amiga years with Bars & Pipes, Music X and various sample players, I've found that OSX is the most stable and efficient OS for my needs. That being said: I will not buy another Mac if Apple doesn't allow user upgrades and repairs. I'm using Windows 10 atm, running under Bootcamp on a Mac Mini 2011 with 16GB of ram. My Motu 828MKIII and 8M runs satisfactory, but at a higher latencies than in OSX. This ain't a MOTU thing as it is the same with my Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Zoom H6, iConnectMIDI4+ and Presonus AudioBox 22VSL. (I haven't tested all in Win 10 yet, but they've done this in Windows 7 and 8).
Old 3rd August 2015
What's the best way to connect AES (Bricasti) to a digital input of the 16A?
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
What's the best way to connect AES (Bricasti) to a digital input of the 16A?
I'm using a Hosa Optical->AES converter box to route my UA 2192 I/O to my 16A. No issues whatsoever.
Old 4th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleen View Post
I'm using a Hosa Optical->AES converter box to route my UA 2192 I/O to my 16A. No issues whatsoever.
Ordered - Thanks Don!
Old 4th August 2015
Gear Maniac
Anyone have both headphone jacks working on their 1248 ?

I have the first jack working normally... and by normally I mean I can hear audio from my computer.

For some reason I can't get the second jack to work normally. It seems like it's set up just like the first jack but nothing comes out.

The goal is to have a performer tracking, using one headphone jack to hear themselves from the DAW (in this case, Logic). And then have me using the other headphone jack to monitor their performance/DAW.
Old 4th August 2015
Lives for gear

Has anyone in here compared the A/D conversion of the newer Motu boxes with the Antelope Orion?

Looking for a new setup that will get me 24-32 inputs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search