The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
The AVB boxes let you route anything everywhere.

You can run a total of 11 stereo sends from the internal DSP mixer. If you run it in a regular analog mixer config, you can have 14 mono auxes and 4 stereo at most from the internal DSP mixer. The 3 regular groups and the reverb group can easily be used as stereo Aux sends due to the extreme flexibility of these boxes.
This sounds about perfect then. I assume that that's a hard cap, i.e. even if I have 5 AVB boxes I'm still stuck with that number of sends in total?

EDIT: Also, and this is important -- how easy is it to go from "inputs from gear" to "inputs from DAW", i.e. can I just 'flip' between two settings or do I need to reroute manually each input each time? I want to be able to track while listening to my synths and external gear while recording to computer, but then immediately play back from computer while playing through external gear. Various mixers allow this but with varying levels of complexity.

Last edited by ModularOverkill; 10th July 2015 at 01:10 PM..
Old 10th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
This sounds about perfect then. I assume that that's a hard cap, i.e. even if I have 5 AVB boxes I'm still stuck with that number of sends in total?

EDIT: Also, and this is important -- how easy is it to go from "inputs from gear" to "inputs from DAW", i.e. can I just 'flip' between two settings or do I need to reroute manually each input each time? I want to be able to track while listening to my synths and external gear while recording to computer, but then immediately play back from computer while playing through external gear. Various mixers allow this but with varying levels of complexity.
Depends on the amount of connected gear you have. The DSP mixer has 48 channels and you can save routing presets that can be recalled from software, or through the front panel. If you want to aquire 2 16A units the can each run their own 48 channel mixer while sharing all ins and out accross an AVB network.
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends on the amount of connected gear you have. The DSP mixer has 48 channels and you can save routing presets that can be recalled from software, or through the front panel. If you want to aquire 2 16A units the can each run their own 48 channel mixer while sharing all ins and out accross an AVB network.
I'm definitely looking at 2 x 16A. So would that give me two of their mixers, and thus actually 14 sends? For some reason I thought the 48ch mixer was shared among all connected devices.

And it sounds like I can just toggle presets between 'Tracking' and 'Mixing'?
Old 10th July 2015
Quote:
I'm definitely looking at 2 x 16A. So would that give me two of their mixers, and thus actually 14 sends? For some reason I thought the 48ch mixer was shared among all connected devices.

And it sounds like I can just toggle presets between 'Tracking' and 'Mixing'?
Each 16A can each mix 48 channels using the internal mixer from analog, ADAT, AVB, computer out and mixer sends.

I'm using the 8M connected through ADAT to my Yamaha 01V96 which gives me this live setup (amongst others):

- 24 channels of FOH with 4 aux sends for wedges.
- 24 channels pre DSP direct to DAW recording.
- 24 channels to the 8M DSP mixer for 5 stereo IEM mixes. Using an Art 5 channel headphone amp. (I would love a Monitor 8 for this, but funds are limited atm).
- 24 returns from DAW/Computer out to the 8M mixer.
- 8 returns from DAW/computer to the 01v96 for added FX.

If I need backup recording I can connect my Macbook Pro using USB and my Mac Mini via AVB and feed both 24 channels.
Old 10th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Each 16A can each mix 48 channels using the internal mixer from analog, ADAT, AVB, computer out and mixer sends.

I'm using the 8M connected through ADAT to my Yamaha 01V96 which gives me this live setup (amongst others):

- 24 channels of FOH with 4 aux sends for wedges.
- 24 channels pre DSP direct to DAW recording.
- 24 channels to the 8M DSP mixer for 5 stereo IEM mixes. Using an Art 5 channel headphone amp. (I would love a Monitor 8 for this, but funds are limited atm).
- 24 returns from DAW/Computer out to the 8M mixer.
- 8 returns from DAW/computer to the 01v96 for added FX.

If I need backup recording I can connect my Macbook Pro using USB and my Mac Mini via AVB and feed both 24 channels.
That sounds magical.

I can't think of any other interfaces this powerful? I was originally looking at getting an SSL Matrix or Midas M32 to ease patching but this sounds like it'll be even better.
Old 11th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
I'm looking at possibly getting a 16A, using it by itself, on a PC, using USB.
Is a browser or Ethernet connection, or anything other than just the USB required? I see everybody talking about browsers and Ethernet. I assume they are either running more than one interface or trying to use an iPad or something as a controller. My main concern is just one, single 16A interface. Am I confused or missing something here?
You will need a browser to access the control software for the interface and configure it. You don't need to be connected via ethernet, though, as you can access it using your browser over USB. If, for example, you want to access it from your phone without being connected to a computer, you could connect it to your wifi router.

Quote:
Hi. My 8M has worked up a problem with the pad on input 6 not activating. The light goes on, but there is no click and no gain reduction. If I take the TRS-jack out it clicks, but it doesn't respond to the front switch or the remote switch. Power cycling the unit doesn't rectify the problem. Any ideas?
Hmm... that sounds like some sort of physical issue with that jack. I'll ask the hardware team and see what they think.
Old 11th July 2015
Lives for gear

Silly question -- is there a control surface (a la Nuage, Avid, Mackie) that works with the A16 et. al. without a DAW open. In other words, it supplies the equivalent functionality of the browser/iOS app but via a physical surface?

EDIT: Actually, that brings me to another question -- how does the on-board mixer interact with the DAW mixer? If I have Nuendo open and I'm mixing in Nuendo, but also have different mixer settings in the AVB mixer, I assume that will lead to madness, or should I leave the DAW at unity settings if I'm using the onboard mixer?

Last edited by ModularOverkill; 11th July 2015 at 03:06 AM..
Old 11th July 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Silly question -- is there a control surface (a la Nuage, Avid, Mackie) that works with the A16 et. al. without a DAW open. In other words, it supplies the equivalent functionality of the browser/iOS app but via a physical surface?

EDIT: Actually, that brings me to another question -- how does the on-board mixer interact with the DAW mixer? If I have Nuendo open and I'm mixing in Nuendo, but also have different mixer settings in the AVB mixer, I assume that will lead to madness, or should I leave the DAW at unity settings if I'm using the onboard mixer?
Yeah I asked that before, specifically around Mackie Control as the old Cue Mix software supported Mackie Control, but the AVB mixers currently do not, which is a shame.

Especially with issues with the HTTP server crashing, it would be great to be able to control the mixers natively - e.g. I could see some set up where I quickly scroll through the Aux mixer tabs using the function keys on my MCU - F1 = Drummer mix, F2 = Bassist mix etc...

That would be my ideal!
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollumsluvslave View Post
Yeah I asked that before, specifically around Mackie Control as the old Cue Mix software supported Mackie Control, but the AVB mixers currently do not, which is a shame.

Especially with issues with the HTTP server crashing, it would be great to be able to control the mixers natively - e.g. I could see some set up where I quickly scroll through the Aux mixer tabs using the function keys on my MCU - F1 = Drummer mix, F2 = Bassist mix etc...

That would be my ideal!
I think you look for something like this: PreSonus | StudioLive CS18AI

perhaps it works with the motu interfaces as it is also AVB?
Old 11th July 2015
Lives for gear

Requiring an iPad and/or a computer at all times may be a deal breaker, which is heart breaking because this is otherwise perfect. I've started looking at the Midas M32 (again) since it provides a lot of the same power but with a mixing surface, however it is less than perfect (e.g. AES50, Dante via add-on card).
Old 11th July 2015
It is possible to remote control the mixer using MIDI to OSC conversion. My biggest problem with this is that I can't get it to work bidirectionaly. I can get my BCF2000/Yamaha 01v96 to regulate faders, auxes, operate mutes, pan a.s.o., but if I move something using the web interface it doesn't reflect on the outboard unit. Can't get OSC to work bidirectionaly what so ever. Might be a software limitation.
Old 11th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
I think you look for something like this: PreSonus | StudioLive CS18AI

perhaps it works with the motu interfaces as it is also AVB?

Oooh, that might be the ticket right there. Unfortunately reading through the various previews it seems that it works only with the Presonus RM series of AVB mixers?

It's also not out for another month or so, so no real reviews. But control surface + AVB would be ideal.

That may get me what I want, I think you can scale up to 64x64. And you have a physical control surface.

I think I'd prefer the MOTU stuff, but I really don't want to be stuck with an iPad or forced to use a computer for control.
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Nut

Anyone using a Motu avb interface with an Avid S3, yosemite and pro tools using the avb? Can they both be connected via avb. Any info on how routing works in pro tools- ie can you use all the available ins and outs of both interfaces simultaneously? Can you route a Motu input signal into to pro tools and then route that input back out through the S3? What's the latency like?
Questions questions questions...
Old 11th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
It is possible to remote control the mixer using MIDI to OSC conversion. My biggest problem with this is that I can't get it to work bidirectionaly. I can get my BCF2000/Yamaha 01v96 to regulate faders, auxes, operate mutes, pan a.s.o., but if I move something using the web interface it doesn't reflect on the outboard unit. Can't get OSC to work bidirectionaly what so ever. Might be a software limitation.
What software do you use for the midi to osc conversion? And would it be possible for you to share a preset or something like that with me? I'm not good at programming :(
Old 11th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
What software do you use for the midi to osc conversion? And would it be possible for you to share a preset or something like that with me? I'm not good at programming :(
I use Osculator running on a mac, but I'm pretty sure it's doable using Pure Data as well. There is a user created template if you have the Lemur ios app by Liine:

https://liine.net/en/community/user-library/view/541/
Old 12th July 2015
Here for the gear
No support for Windows 7, and support were somewhat rude when I asked.

They not getting my business. Anyone who's offering Windows support and doesn't include Windows 7 in their considerations is insane, IMO. All the serious PC peepz I know are still using this OS and will never upgrade to Windows 8. Can't speak for Windows 10 yet, though I'm suspicious... surely will be more resource-hungry and more cloud-oriented than Windows 7, yes? For offline, studio work, there's really no other Windows-based OS to use...

MOTU designers have had their heads stuck up their MACS for too long, IMO...
Old 12th July 2015
Lives for gear

My 16a just arrived. I'm trying to make sense of headphone monitor mixes. So there's the main monitor mix, and you can make AUX bus mixes. But you're limited on the number of AUX buses the higher you go up on the sample rate. That wouldn't be that big of a deal if you could break up the AUX buses into separate mono AUX buses.

Say for example instead of having a AUX 1-2 (stereo) you could break it up into AUX 1 (mono) AUX 2 (mono) with separate mixes for each output. If say I use 88.2 kHz sample rate I'm currently limited to 3 AUX buses to give me a total of 4 headphone mixes.

Is this something that could be added on a future firmware release? Is there something I'm missing aka a workaround?
Old 13th July 2015
Gear Addict

Aux sends (mixes) can be either mono or stereo.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
Aux sends (mixes) can be either mono or stereo.
Thank you! I supposed one should read the manual first?
Old 13th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbro View Post
No support for Windows 7, and support were somewhat rude when I asked.

They not getting my business. Anyone who's offering Windows support and doesn't include Windows 7 in their considerations is insane, IMO. All the serious PC peepz I know are still using this OS and will never upgrade to Windows 8. Can't speak for Windows 10 yet, though I'm suspicious... surely will be more resource-hungry and more cloud-oriented than Windows 7, yes? For offline, studio work, there's really no other Windows-based OS to use...

MOTU designers have had their heads stuck up their MACS for too long, IMO...
Actually, that is misinformation: the AVB interfaces all run on Windows 7.

I'm sorry to hear that info came from our support and they were rude to you. Please send me a PM with either the name of the support staff you spoke with or, if you don't recall, send me your info so we can cross-reference it with our phone log and sort out what happened.
Old 13th July 2015
Lives for gear

Hey @mrmiller, what's the mixing surface situation for the MOTU's AVB stuff? Is it computer/iPad only or are there plans for a proper mixing surface? I like the MOTU AVB gear in a lot of ways more than what I'm seeing from the competition, but availability of a physical surface makes a huge difference.
Old 15th July 2015
Quote:
Hey @mrmiller, what's the mixing surface situation for the MOTU's AVB stuff? Is it computer/iPad only or are there plans for a proper mixing surface? I like the MOTU AVB gear in a lot of ways more than what I'm seeing from the competition, but availability of a physical surface makes a huge difference.
The AVB interfaces all support OSC and we've got an HTTP API, too. In theory, someone could write software that converts from, say, the Mackie Control protocol to OSC. But I'm unaware of any such software currently available. As such, anything would be pretty homebrew and require a computer currently. I can't speak to any future plans, unfortunately.

Quote:
Hi. My 8M has worked up a problem with the pad on input 6 not activating. The light goes on, but there is no click and no gain reduction. If I take the TRS-jack out it clicks, but it doesn't respond to the front switch or the remote switch. Power cycling the unit doesn't rectify the problem. Any ideas?
I spoke with the hardware team and they were surprised by the behavior you're seeing. We think it would be best to send it in for repairs / get a replacement unit. I'm going to send you a PM and we can continue the discussion there.
Old 15th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
The AVB interfaces all support OSC and we've got an HTTP API, too. In theory, someone could write software that converts from, say, the Mackie Control protocol to OSC. But I'm unaware of any such software currently available. As such, anything would be pretty homebrew and require a computer currently. I can't speak to any future plans, unfortunately.
Thanks for the response. Unfortunately lack of a physical interface is pushing me towards the PreSonus option then (although their surface isn't available until next month anyway).
Old 16th July 2015
Lives for gear

So how can I set this thing up to tweak mixes in a garaged '76 Camaro?
Old 17th July 2015
Gear Head

Hey mrmiller, it would be nice to hear something from you to my thoughts on page 56 https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11106857-post1658.html , Thank you very much from Berlin
Old 17th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGPS View Post
Feature Request
That would be a great solution, the more analog inputs/ Interfaces you have, the bigger the mixer would be... (sorry for this english, I don't know if it is correct)
We've talked about different ways to automatically aggregate the DSP resources across the network. It's a fairly tough abstraction and involves doing a lot of behind-the-scenes magic to route everything properly over AVB to the correct box to do the processing. It's a major engineering challenge and we would want to make sure we got it right if we did it.
Old 18th July 2015
tft
Gear Nut

any news about updated reverb, channelstrip view, etc. .... any planned features that are worked on and are coming in the near future?
thanks!
Old 20th July 2015
Here for the gear

Mr Miller,

I have been using Motu monitor8 and love it. I have the following ideas. Any thoughts or plans on any of them?

1. EQ curve - It is hard to eq channels without being able to visually see the eq curve
2. Create individual reverbs sends while in an aux. Basically now all users have to share the same amount of reverb sends from the mixer. I realize they can control the reverb return, but they can't set the send levels on their own. I see you guys updated the panning so that aux's can set their own pan levels on each channel. This is great! Reverb send would be a logical next step in my mind. Roland M-48's allow users to "send" to a reverb processor on each aux mix. This change may be big but it would really give musicians the ability to fully customize their mix.

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 20th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpguser View Post
Mr Miller,

I have been using Motu monitor8 and love it. I have the following ideas. Any thoughts or plans on any of them?

1. EQ curve - It is hard to eq channels without being able to visually see the eq curve
2. Create individual reverbs sends while in an aux. Basically now all users have to share the same amount of reverb sends from the mixer. I realize they can control the reverb return, but they can't set the send levels on their own. I see you guys updated the panning so that aux's can set their own pan levels on each channel. This is great! Reverb send would be a logical next step in my mind. Roland M-48's allow users to "send" to a reverb processor on each aux mix. This change may be big but it would really give musicians the ability to fully customize their mix.

Thanks,

Jerry
Some good ideas there. I've also bought myself a Mackie DL1608 (got it for a real bargin) for those casual small jobs I do with my band(s). First comment from the other members was: "This is so much easier, and faster, to use than the other system (being my Motu 8M)"

Reason number 1: The Mackies control response, which is very fast as it's a dedicated app rather than a more universal web application like the Motu.
Reason number 2: Longer faders which again gives more precise and forgiving control.
Reason number 3: Each Aux has it's own channel mutes
Reason number 4: 31 band GEQ and comp/limiter on all outs.
Old 20th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Anyone else have trouble un-muting by pressing the buttons on front?

For instance, I mute my speakers when I want to use my headphones... and visa versa. When I want to unmute either of them I usually press the physical button, but it often doesn't work. I'll have to either dial it back up by twisting the knob a zillion times, or revert to the browser.

Are my buttons broke or is something in the firmware not working right?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search