The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 24th June 2015
thanx mrmiller for your help, i'll let you know when i get a replacement. thanx
Old 25th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I still haven't seen any comment about direct hardware playthrough for DP. Anything there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
We're actively thinking about ways of adding a similar feature to DP for the AVB line. The architecture is so different compared to the CueMix FX boxes, though, that it's a little tricky and takes some doing.
Anything surface in DP9?
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Anything surface in DP9?
Dang. You beat me to it again, Doug!

MOTU? DHP for DP? How's it coming?
Old 28th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Anything surface in DP9?
Not for 9.0, no. It's still on our list though.
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

Woohoo!

Thank you, Mr. M!
Old 29th June 2015
tft
Gear Nut

while working with the new avb line mixer, i was thinking about a feature, that would be veeery helpful:

- a channelstrip view, that fills the whole screen only with the controls of one channel.
with bigger buttons/sliders for easier and more exact tweaking. would be best to have a line with tracknumbers/names on top for easy and fast channelswitching.

how about that? anything like this already planned mr. miller?
at the moment it is a bit unconvenient to tweak settings in the mixer.
especially on an ipad it is pretty much impossible to really finetune parameters.
bigger interface elements are very much needed there.
Old 29th June 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
Reporting back from an earlier post re: driver disconnect.

Since switching my browser from Chrome to Firefox, I have not had the "can not communicate with driver" error message.
I switched from Chrome to Firefox and still get the "can not communicate with device" error.

My setup is a 8M connected to a 16A per AVB and the 16A is connected to the computer with thunderbolt. At the moment I can't even save patches or change device settings on the 8M without connecting it directly with thunderbolt to my laptop. Sucks.
Old 30th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
I switched from Chrome to Firefox and still get the "can not communicate with device" error.

My setup is a 8M connected to a 16A per AVB and the 16A is connected to the computer with thunderbolt. At the moment I can't even save patches or change device settings on the 8M without connecting it directly with thunderbolt to my laptop. Sucks.
What you're trying to do is not possible without adding an AVB switch to your setup. You can however plug the USB of your 8M to an available USB port on your laptop for controlling the 8M.
Old 30th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
These are more questions for Apple. As a result, I don't really have an answer. It really comes down to driver support. Our interfaces support 44.1khz-176.4 kHz via AVB already and our latency is guaranteed .625 ms across 7 hops. But when Apple's driver will support those rates or achieve lower latency, I don't know.

If you want the lowest latency solution, I would recommend using Thunderbolt given your iMac supports it. You'll get as many channels as you would via AVB and it's a much simpler protocol, meaning less CPU overhead among other things. Using Thunderbolt does no preclude you from using AVB down the line as the driver improves, though.
Will Apple ever improve their AVB drivers? Why should they? Don't get me wrong, I really hope they do, but is it something they plan doing?
Old 1st July 2015
yosemite 10.10.4 is out. Some network things have been updated (not the avb driver) anyone testing it with avb sound card? thanx
Old 1st July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandvg99 View Post
What you're trying to do is not possible without adding an AVB switch to your setup. You can however plug the USB of your 8M to an available USB port on your laptop for controlling the 8M.
It absolutely is possible. According to motu you should be able to control all devices in an AVB-network from one device which is connected to your computer. It even works sometimes. But in 2 out of 3 cases, the GUI freezes and the connection drops.
Just feels really unstable to me. I was really exited for these interfaces, since theres so much innovation in them. But all that doesnt help if the drivers are that unstable...
Old 2nd July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
It absolutely is possible. According to motu you should be able to control all devices in an AVB-network from one device which is connected to your computer. It even works sometimes. But in 2 out of 3 cases, the GUI freezes and the connection drops.
Just feels really unstable to me. I was really exited for these interfaces, since theres so much innovation in them. But all that doesnt help if the drivers are that unstable...
We're tracking some issues where accessing the web app via Thunderbolt or USB is flaky. For now, I'd normally suggest also connecting it via ethernet and accessing the units via their IP addresses or .local host names instead of the localhost TB/USB proxy server. That should be rock solid while we sort out the issue with the web app and the driver. Unfortunately, if you don't have a switch and you're using two interfaces, that's not a viable workaround.
Old 2nd July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
We're tracking some issues where accessing the web app via Thunderbolt or USB is flaky. For now, I'd normally suggest also connecting it via ethernet and accessing the units via their IP addresses or .local host names instead of the localhost TB/USB proxy server. That should be rock solid while we sort out the issue with the web app and the driver. Unfortunately, if you don't have a switch and you're using two interfaces, that's not a viable workaround.
Thats good to hear. Could I work around the problem by connecting the second unit also with usb to my computer?
Old 3rd July 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:

I kind of had to figure this out through trial and error, and while getting into the web app is for the most part, stable and consistent via entering the IP address into the web browser of my computer, it doesn't however seem to ever work that way when trying to access it from my iPad and iPhone, where I can only get in by going through the web app installed on those devices. So if I want to use it on those devices when the web app can only connect to my computer through entering the IP address into it's web browser (Chrome), the only consistent way I've found to fix it has been to first reboot both my computer and my MOTU 16A. Once I do that, the computer can get back into the program through the MOTU AVB WebUI Setup application and the device will also once again become discoverable on the iPad and iPhone through the installed MOTU app.

Normally, I wouldn't find it such a big deal having to do this, but over the course of a day, I may need to do this at least a few times so as to keep the app functional on all devices. I haven't exactly noticed a specific pattern for what's causing this, but it does seem to happen more often if I leave my computer and the MOTU on for about a couple hours between use, but i've also had it lose communication while still working on the machines.

I already tested all options I had available regarding one of the solutions mentioned earlier in the thread about disabling the computer taking control of the device with sleep modes and power conservation settings activated, so i've kind of reached a dead end as far as finding a stable and consistent solution on my end that hasn't resulted in a reboot of all my hardware. I should also mention that i've found one other way to apply this fix without any rebooting, and that has been to unplug the ethernet cable from the computer and back into it again. However, doing this seems to only work sparingly, so I almost always opt for the sure thing, which is the hardware reboot solution.

My setup is a Windows 7 PC with the MOTU 16A. I always keep the ethernet cable along with the USB plugged in on those devices, so if anybody else has a similar setup and have these same issues, I just wanted to share what has worked for myself, at least.

And if there's anything mrmiller or anyone else can gather I'm not doing correctly or knows a better way, ideas are most certainly welcome. Otherwise, I'll just keep using this work around and consider it a small inconvenience until it's stability can be addressed in future updates.
Old 4th July 2015
Gear Nut

I guess I spoke too soon, because I found a better work around solution for maintaining connection with my MOTU 16A and Windows 7 PC that doesn't require rebooting the hardware or disconnecting anything.

Whenever I get the "Cannot Communicate With Device" error, in order to get into the web app, there's a few options that have worked consistently depending on what you're trying to do. If you only need to get in from your computer's web browser, you can of course just enter the device's IP address into your web browser and that should work consistently.

But if you need to get into it from your tablet or phone, I'm unsure if it's even possible to get into it by entering the IP address into the web browser on those device's, because I never got it to work that way on those; thus as far as I can tell, to use the web app on such devices requires going through the downloaded app and being connected to the same wifi source as your MOTU. So I've found 2 consistent ways to get the MOTU discoverable again through the localhost that have been working consistently for me.

1. Rebooting the computer and MOTU device. Kind of annoying, but at least it's worked consistently for me.

2. Once again, i'm on a Windows 7 PC, so I can't say for sure if this works if you're using a different OS. What I would do is start the Windows Task Manager and go to the tab marked "Services." Once there, I will scroll down and look for the process called "MOTUAVBHTTPServer". If it isn't working, you'll see in the next column called "Status" that it will say "Stopped", instead of "Running". So all you have to do is right click on "MOTUAVBHTTPServer" and click "Start Service." And that's it. You should be able to get in through the localhost at the MOTU AVB WebUI Setup app on your computer and also through the downloaded app on your mobile devices. So far in the past day I haven't had this fail yet, so I think this is the best way to get everything fired up again without having to reboot or rely only on entering the IP address into your computer's web browser. Hope that helps anyone who were having a similar issue. I attached a snapshot of the process to change in the Windows Task Manager in case you're unfamiliar with it.
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-motu-work-around.jpg  
Old 6th July 2015
Gear Maniac

I have a 24 Ai, a 24 Ao, and a Monitor 8 hooked up to a Windows 7 64bit PC through a Motu AVB Switch. Previously I had MOTU PCI-424 with 4 boxes. Running Protools 11.3.1 with no issues.

The AVB has not been stable in Protools at all. When I switch to AVB protools gets lethargic and any move or click I make results in a 2 min spinning wheel. When I go back to PCI424 I have no issues. I have tested AVB with Studio One 3 with no issues.

Anyone else having issues with Protools on Windows 7?
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear
As I told before, I had problems using my Hp Z book 15 i7 4 cores 8gig ram with Motu 8m in Windows 7 64. Several freezings during payback in Cubase 5.
I solved the problem by reinstalling windows 8.1 64 and by NOT installing that bunch of HP drivers nor video drivers. I still don´t know exactly which drivers are the troubled ones but I guess it was the Nvidea drivers as I was monitoring with Latency monitor before and it was the most heavy loaded driver in the system. I also have a desktop computer at my studio which is an asus p6x58d Premium mobo, i7 950 and 8 gig ram and with windows 7 64 I had the same issues with the 8m. I ended up by also installing windows 8 64 in this PC and even that I reinstalled the Nvidea drivers on the desktop computer the 8m is working fine now. I am not able to have less buffer settings than I can with my profire2626, but most of the time, using 256 was fine to record. Now I can have 256 with Motu 8m in both computers by selecting usb streaming mode Low latency or lowest latency and 256 buffer size with no problems (But you can´t be copying files at the same time from any usb external hard drive for exemple). I guess that most of the time the problem is about drivers, specially in notebooks. Using USB, the system works pretty close to the limit. I can also acess the mixer with Chrome by usb or just by typing the IP number (I also conected the network cable from 8m to my router). To be able to save presets we HAVE to access the mixer by typing the IP number. (There´s a bug in motu USB access to the mixer and configs). I had no issues accessing the mixer, router and config using the IP number. I can also access the mixer with ANY cel phone or tablet connected at my wi fi connection just by typing the ip number (android devices, but I believe its gonna be ok to any tablet or cel system like Apple or Windows phones..).
Pro tools 10 is working fine here as much as Cubase 5 and Cubase 8 (Which I´m testing a trial version).
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
while working with the new avb line mixer, i was thinking about a feature, that would be veeery helpful:

- a channelstrip view, that fills the whole screen only with the controls of one channel.
with bigger buttons/sliders for easier and more exact tweaking. would be best to have a line with tracknumbers/names on top for easy and fast channelswitching.

how about that? anything like this already planned mr. miller?
at the moment it is a bit unconvenient to tweak settings in the mixer.
especially on an ipad it is pretty much impossible to really finetune parameters.
bigger interface elements are very much needed there.
I would like very much the possibility of changing colors of each channel at the mixer. Would help a lot being fast to access the channels!!
Old 6th July 2015
To access the web interface of the USB/thunderbolt connected PC/Mac from outside sources one might need to add the 1280 port to the host computers IP-address. Something like this http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1280 (Fill the x's with your host computers ip-address.
Old 6th July 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafter Man View Post
2. Once again, i'm on a Windows 7 PC, so I can't say for sure if this works if you're using a different OS. What I would do is start the Windows Task Manager and go to the tab marked "Services." Once there, I will scroll down and look for the process called "MOTUAVBHTTPServer". If it isn't working, you'll see in the next column called "Status" that it will say "Stopped", instead of "Running". So all you have to do is right click on "MOTUAVBHTTPServer" and click "Start Service."
I just got back from lunch and couldn't access the web interface any more. I had just read your tip this morning and was easily able to get access again. Thanks.

@Mr. Miller; what is causing the MOTUAVBHTTPServer process to stop? I have had this happen several times during actual use. One time was during live mixing of a play using my Motu 1248. Fortunately a set change was coming up and I was able to reboot the laptop.
Old 7th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
I just got back from lunch and couldn't access the web interface any more. I had just read your tip this morning and was easily able to get access again. Thanks.

@Mr. Miller; what is causing the MOTUAVBHTTPServer process to stop? I have had this happen several times during actual use. One time was during live mixing of a play using my Motu 1248. Fortunately a set change was coming up and I was able to reboot the laptop.
We're not quite sure yet but we're working to track it down. We've had trouble reproducing it in-house, unfortunately. If this is happening to you consistently and you've got some bandwidth to try out some debugging steps with me, please shoot me a PM.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post

Same problem for me using Firefox. Actually Firefox promted me once with a warning that mentioned the MOTUAVBHTTPServer not working anymore. I then was able to click "continue running" (or something similar) and after a few seconds the connection was there again. But strangely that happened only once and never again when the Interface disconnected on other occasions. Wierd...

It's also strange that it's such an inconsistent problem. Someday it doesn't happen at all, the next day I have disconnects every 30 min.
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Maniac

I fixed my protools issue by stepping the buffer size down to 1024 from 2048. Protools does not support 2048 and it was causing things to lock up. I ran a 6 hour session today with no issues. No drop outs on the browser for me, (using Chrome).
Old 8th July 2015
Gear Addict

I'm looking at possibly getting a 16A, using it by itself, on a PC, using USB.
Is a browser or Ethernet connection, or anything other than just the USB required? I see everybody talking about browsers and Ethernet. I assume they are either running more than one interface or trying to use an iPad or something as a controller. My main concern is just one, single 16A interface. Am I confused or missing something here?
Old 8th July 2015
Lives for gear

You can control the 16A's mixer via browser with just USB connected.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Okay, I just read...this whole thread. In one sitting. Took almost three hours.

And I still have questions =)

I have a synth heavy studio with a lot of external effects processors. Assume I need 24 line inputs and then additionally 10-16 aux returns, and that I also want to be able to track direct to computer and then run computer back for final mix/effects -- what would the right set of hardware be for this, and what does the workflow look like (using a Mac running Reason or Reaper).

At first blush I was thinking 2 x 16A, giving me 32x32. Reading the docs it seems to support 7 aux sends and 3 group sends (what's the difference?) at the default 44K -- does this mean the rest of the routing is just unity gain, unmixed, 1:1? If I have 8 stereo effects processors and don't want to use a patch bay how would I have that hooked up?
Old 9th July 2015
8M input Pad not working

Hi. My 8M has worked up a problem with the pad on input 6 not activating. The light goes on, but there is no click and no gain reduction. If I take the TRS-jack out it clicks, but it doesn't respond to the front switch or the remote switch. Power cycling the unit doesn't rectify the problem. Any ideas?
Old 9th July 2015
tft
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Okay, I just read...this whole thread. In one sitting. Took almost three hours.

And I still have questions =)

I have a synth heavy studio with a lot of external effects processors. Assume I need 24 line inputs and then additionally 10-16 aux returns, and that I also want to be able to track direct to computer and then run computer back for final mix/effects -- what would the right set of hardware be for this, and what does the workflow look like (using a Mac running Reason or Reaper).

At first blush I was thinking 2 x 16A, giving me 32x32. Reading the docs it seems to support 7 aux sends and 3 group sends (what's the difference?) at the default 44K -- does this mean the rest of the routing is just unity gain, unmixed, 1:1? If I have 8 stereo effects processors and don't want to use a patch bay how would I have that hooked up?
do you need these channels right from the DAW and then right back to it?
then you are correct with your 32x32 assumption. and all channels can be routed freely through the routing grid to different inputs of the audiodriver and vice versa.

do you need the dsp-mixer of the interface inbetween? for what exactly?
it can be inserted into the signal flow, but does not have to.
Old 9th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tft View Post
do you need these channels right from the DAW and then right back to it?
Ideally, yes. The workflow I imagine is this:

-compose/sequence externally while running through OTB effects
-once happy, print direct outs from all line ins to individual tracks to DAW
-edit in daw, while playing back through interface (and through OTB effects)
-do final mix down (via DAW) through OTB and back into DAW

Quote:
do you need the dsp-mixer of the interface inbetween? for what exactly?
it can be inserted into the signal flow, but does not have to.
Not sure I understand? I won't use any DSP effects (no EQ, etc.) but will be outboard on almost everything (with tweaks via plugins), but I do want to be able to mix arbitrarily inputs to arbitrary outputs if possible, which would give me way more sends than just 7.
Old 10th July 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModularOverkill View Post
Ideally, yes. The workflow I imagine is this:

-compose/sequence externally while running through OTB effects
-once happy, print direct outs from all line ins to individual tracks to DAW
-edit in daw, while playing back through interface (and through OTB effects)
-do final mix down (via DAW) through OTB and back into DAW

Not sure I understand? I won't use any DSP effects (no EQ, etc.) but will be outboard on almost everything (with tweaks via plugins), but I do want to be able to mix arbitrarily inputs to arbitrary outputs if possible, which would give me way more sends than just 7.
The AVB boxes let you route anything everywhere.

You can run a total of 11 stereo sends from the internal DSP mixer. If you run it in a regular analog mixer config, you can have 14 mono auxes and 4 stereo at most from the internal DSP mixer. The 3 regular groups and the reverb group can easily be used as stereo Aux sends due to the extreme flexibility of these boxes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search