The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface Audio Interfaces
Old 12th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgkenney View Post
Using a MOTU AVB Ultralite of Windows 8.1 and so far I am very pleased in the sound quality, buid, etc. Running an Audient ASP880 via adat and all works well in clocking and routing. Originally had the ASP880 running through a Audient ID22 but decided I need some addition analog i/o for external processing. I also like the "live mixer" capability and portability of the Ultralite.

One small problem keeps haunting me, however. Every other day or so I will get an error when attempting to launch (or relaunch in the middle of a previously instantiated session that was running fine) The error is something like, "Unable to communicate with driver" Relaunching the App and/or the DAW does not seem to restore the communication. The only remedy I have found is to reinstall the driver software. At which time the MOTU app works fine for a day or so until the problem reccurrs.

Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting this?
Wow. Nice to see someone did the same transition I did - (Audient ID22 to Ultralite AVB), I loved the audient, but needed more inputs. And the ultralite avb definitely doesn't skimp on sound. I chimed in also because I use firefox and don't have the communicating problem you have. I'm on Windows 8.1 / Asus ROG Series Laptop. I'm wondering if your problem has something to do with chrome?
Old 12th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparqee View Post
Hmm.... that doesn't bode well for real time playing of VSTi's. Bummer.
I have mine set at 256 buffer size and "Safe" usb streaming mode, and run multiple virtual instruments with plugins with no problems. I use Kontakt - scarbee bass, guitar, virtual organ, studio drummer, session horns, etc, and Sample Tank 3 - sometimes multiple instances - live and at the studio. All running from inside pro tools 11.
Old 12th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxmaestro View Post
I have mine set at 256 buffer size and "Safe" usb streaming mode, and run multiple virtual instruments with plugins with no problems. I use Kontakt - scarbee bass, guitar, virtual organ, studio drummer, session horns, etc, and Sample Tank 3 - sometimes multiple instances - live and at the studio. All running from inside pro tools 11.
What kind of latency are you seeing with such setting?
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nms View Post
Not if you're intending to use his computer. Since you have no idea on the details of his computer how can you possibly place this in any useful context? The more powerful the computer and better configured it is, the better your low latency performance will be with any interface.
All to true, which is why I'm asking Windows users for details about their experience. I can't seem to find much information on how the Motu 16a Windows USB drivers perform in low latency situations so I'm asking. If people can give details about their system that's great but even incomplete information is better than no information. If anyone would care to give more exacting details then a more "useful context" would appear but until then I'll take what I can get.
Old 13th June 2015
RTL

Using RTL Utility, I'm getting 911 samples / 18.979 msec
Attached Thumbnails
MOTU 1248, 8M, 16A Thunderbolt interface-20150612_194401.jpg  
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Using RTL Utility, I'm getting 911 samples / 18.979 msec
Thanks for that.
Old 13th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
It's a little hard to tell from the URL bar in Safari, but are you connected to localhost:1280? That's the proxy server for connecting over Thunderbolt, if so. Make sure you're viewing the web app via the ethernet cable. The AVB Discovery app should prefer the ethernet port to Thunderbolt or USB if available so perhaps try loading again from there. If that doesn't work, you can navigate manually to the web app via its IP address or Bonjour name (http://1248.local./ in this case, unless you change the device's name).
Thanks, I´ll take a look at that next time. The update banner is only visible when the ethernet cable is connected simultaneously with the tb cable. If I disconnect the tb cable, the connection is lost completely. That seems to be a little bit weird. Using OS X 10.10.03...
Old 13th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Wow. Nice to see someone did the same transition I did - (Audient ID22 to Ultralite AVB), I loved the audient, but needed more inputs. And the Ultralite avb definitely doesn't skimp on sound. I chimed in also because I use firefox and don't have the communicating problem you have. I'm on Windows 8.1 / Asus ROG Series Laptop. I'm wondering if your problem has something to do with chrome?
Yeah, I, too, loved the Audient. It's all the fault of Bryce over at Warm Audio making those affordable 1176 and Pultec clones. Made me want more analog i/o for external processing. As I said, I still use the ASP880 as my main set of pres and conversion while tracking but I now can use the externals in mixing more easily. I have not noticed any significant change in the results of the hw change and the workflow and possibilities are much greater. As noted earlier, I also like the mini portable mixer concept of the Ultralite.

Anyway, your suggestion in trying a different browser seems interesting. Of course as soon as I posted the problem here, it has failed to materialize. I was mixing and rerouting all day today without incident. We'll see what tomorrow brings. In any event, thanks for your suggestion
Old 13th June 2015
Quote:
Yeah, I, too, loved the Audient. It's all the fault of Bryce over at Warm Audio making those affordable 1176 and Pultec clones. Made me want more analog i/o for external processing. As I said, I still use the ASP880 as my main set of pres and conversion while tracking but I now can use the externals in mixing more easily. I have not noticed any significant change in the results of the hw change and the workflow and possibilities are much greater. As noted earlier, I also like the mini portable mixer concept of the Ultralite.

Anyway, your suggestion in trying a different browser seems interesting. Of course as soon as I posted the problem here, it has failed to materialize. I was mixing and rerouting all day today without incident. We'll see what tomorrow brings. In any event, thanks for your suggestion
Ahh.. Just like going to the doctor. You have a pain, then when you get there it's all gone! But yea, if it pops up again, I'd give another browser a shot, and see what happens.

I made some comments in another thread about the ultralite avb as well. I was skeptical about getting it - especially given how the audient id22 at it's price point really stood out with its preamps and conversion compared to a lot of others out there. But when i got the ultralite avb, like you, I haven't noticed any significant loss in quality. The da and the headphone amps are very good.
Old 13th June 2015
Gear Nut

Maybe this is the right place for my question

Thinking of buying one of the MOTU AVBs. I'm using a Win 7 PC with Studio One 3, can anyone tell me his experience with driver stability, latency, converter quality and so on?
Can't belive how hard it is to find information about the MOTU stuff...

Can't decide if I should get a Motu, an UAudio Apollo Quad Firewire or some RME -.-
Old 13th June 2015
Gear Addict

GitcheeGoo: Isn't the Apollo stuff Mac only?
Old 13th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmiller View Post
In the Services application (shows up as "View local services" on Windows 8 when typing into the start screen), what is the status of the MOTUAVBHTTPServer? If blank, does right-clicking and selecting Start fix things?
OK so it happened again today after working fine yesterday. I opened "Service" and the MOTUAVBHTTPServer was in fact blank. Right clicking and selecting "start" restored the app's normal functioning. Any clue on the cause of it shutting down? Could it be browser specific?
Old 14th June 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodreb View Post
GitcheeGoo: Isn't the Apollo stuff Mac only?
Rodreb:

They released a firewire version of the Apollo Quad. It's the only one you can run with Windows. Did not hear good things about the latency though...
Old 15th June 2015
Here for the gear

Just got a Motu 1248 3 days ago and have had a play over the weekend.

I'm using it on windows 7, 64Bit on a 8 year old PC with the old quad core processor (the ones before i5 and i7). My DAW is Cubase 8 Pro.
First thing to say is that with a PC running windows I didn't find the 1248 plug and play. I had to come back to this thread a couple of times to get the unit working on my setup. In fact without this thread I'm not sure it would ever have worked and I feel for anyone who has a PC and is not aware of this thread. All it needs is a rewrite of the manual and all would be good. Even a little bit about setting up on a PC would be nice, as in my manual it only covered Macs. So in the future when this is sorted out, this issue won't arise. My unit also had the first version firmware and could not even load the drivers to work until I updated to the latest firmware. Again in the future when units ship with newer firmware this won't be an issue. The latest firmware allows me to use the 1248 over USB without having to connect a Ethernet cable at the same time. I did have to connect both USB and Ethernet to perform the firmware update, and had to go to the 1248 and get its id number and enter it in the browser to be able to connect. If the manual had said this it would have helped a lot, even a separate sheet with this info on would have been enough. I really was starting to think that Motu would like the whole world to own Macs from my experience of setting up a 1248 on a PC with windows 7.

I found the software really easy to use. I was worried about this at first from looking at the tutorial videos, but it only take 10 mins and you 'get' what it's about. I'm finding the 1248 to be very stable in use with Cubase 8 Pro and I've had no issues with drop outs or crashing. Getting the lowest latency involves some work. I read on this thread to put your PC in high performance mode and did this before I installed the 1248. To be free of and clicks or pops in the audio I have to set to 'standard' in the Cubase latency setup window and set to 512 samples. This gives me and input latency of 9.3ms and an output latency of 9.3ms. Cubase does not state the round trip latency, but I'm guessing its 18.6ms. This is workable for playing in most things from the keyboard, but I do notice a slight delay when playing in drum parts from a keyboard. The notes are just a bit late when you view in the midi grid editor. My workaround for this is to put Cubase into low latency mode and drop to 256 samples. This then gives me an input latency of 4.5ms and an output latency of 4.5ms, so 9ms roundtrip which is quick enough for me to not notice any delay when inputting from a keyboard. The audio does have a few clicks and pops, but only when I use 4 or 5 VSTi virtual instruments. In fact with that many instruments going on my processor load is around 80% as this is an old PC. I'm sure if I ran an i7 PC, I could run with 9ms latency and not have any problems with the audio. I'm also pretty sure that if all my work was done with recording and playing back audio I could run at 9ms latency. That's a test for another day. I did manage to get Cubase to run in super low latency mode at 128 samples, which gave me a round trip latency of just 5.2ms, but there was quite a lot of clicks and pops going on, but I put this down to my old PC and me just running VSTi virtual instruments during the test. I would love to run the 1248 on an i7 with Cubase 8 Pro, as I'm sure if you only did audio with a few virtual instruments you might get away with that 5.2ms round trip latency setting.

As for the sound. We hard to tell at this point as I've not recorded anything in yet. So far I just used the outputs with virtual instruments so it's difficult to say what the convertors sound like. I've got some other high end converters and will do a test in the future to see how the 1248 compares.

So far I'm liking the Motu 1248, but it would have been nice to not lose half a day of my life to get it to work on a PC. If someone reads this in a year's time when all the units ship with a newer firmware and the manual acknowledges that PC's exist, then they will have a plug and play solution and will be wondering why I had such a hard time during the setup.

It's there, but for a PC user, unless you're willing to put in a bit of work, it's not quite there just yet. it will be though, and the competition should be very worried then.
Rog.

PS... @Mr Miller

Only one problem with the software. When I go to save in the main setup window, after clicking save a whole load of words appear with an error issue somewhere in the list of words. I'll do a screen shot. This does not happen when I save in the routing window.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
One small problem keeps haunting me, however. Every other day or so I will get an error when attempting to launch (or relaunch in the middle of a previously instantiated session that was running fine) The error is something like, "Unable to communicate with driver" Relaunching the App and/or the DAW does not seem to restore the communication. The only remedy I have found is to reinstall the driver software. At which time the MOTU app works fine for a day or so until the problem reccurrs.

Any thoughts on where to begin troubleshooting this?
Assuming you've already set your power settings to the High Performance plan, I'd start by disabling USB Selective Suspend under the advanced power settings option for the plan. I don't have a MOTU interface to test, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's going into suspend mode and not waking up properly.

I'm considering replacing my Echo Audiofire with an Ultralite AVB or Mk3, but their track record on Windows makes me really nervous. It would be great to know if this resolves your problem.
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

@owned. Thanks for chiming in on your experience and for giving such detail.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Addict

So good to finally see some real info on how the MOTU products work with a PC/Windows. I really feel that the lack of information on this scares a LOT of PC/Windows users away from MOTU stuff. I know it has me for years. However, my next move will be to a MOTU 16A, if I hear enough good stories from people having good experiences.
Old 15th June 2015
Here for the gear
I just bought a 8m days ago and had the same issues about setting up to work, but in my case, with Cubase 5 I'm having some freezings of the hole system for some seconds and then it returns to play again. It got a little better with buffer settings at 8192 but this is a non working setting for low latency.
I have also a profire2626 and it runs fine, even with buffer setting like 128, but its firewire working.
If someone has some good configuration ideas and want to share I will be thankful. My laptop is a HP Zbook 15 i7 8gb RAM running win7 64bit.
I also run pro tools 10 at this system with no problems but with pro tools I just do some drums editing so I didn't tested it with a high pluging loaded project.
Its also interesting that every time cubase freezes with motu, right after comming back from freezing I hear the processor fan speeding up. Maybe this gives a clue of what's happening.
Old 15th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuestro View Post
... freezings of the hole system... high plugging loaded...
Be plugging the frozen hole whilst loaded, man!

Sorry. That post was gold to me. Thank you for the feedback, nuestro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owned View Post
Just got a Motu 1248 3 days ago and have had a play over the weekend.

I'm using it on windows 7, 64Bit on a 8 year old PC with the old quad core processor (the ones before i5 and i7). My DAW is Cubase 8 Pro.
First thing to say is that with a PC ruining windows I didn't find the 1248 plug and play. I had to come back to this thread a couple of times to get the unit working on my setup. In fact without this thread I'm not sure it would ever have worked and I feel for anyone who has a PC and is not aware of this thread. All it needs is a rewrite of the manual and all would be good. Even a little bit about setting up on a PC would be nice, as in my manual it only covered Macs. So in the future when this is sorted out, this issue won't arise. My unit also had the first version firmware and could not even load the drivers to work until I updated to the latest firmware. Again in the future when units ship with newer firmware this won't be an issue. The latest firmware allows me to use the 1248 over USB without having to connect a Ethernet cable at the same time. I did have to connect both USB and Ethernet to perform the firmware update, and had to go to the 1248 and get its id number and enter it in the browser to be able to connect. If the manual had said this it would have helped a lot, even a separate sheet with this info on would have been enough. I really was starting to think that Motu would like the whole world to own Macs from my experience of setting up a 1248 on a PC with windows 7.

I found the software really easy to use. I was worried about this at first from looking at the tutorial videos, but it only take 10 mins and you 'get' what it's about. I'm finding the 1248 to be very stable in use with Cubase 8 Pro and I've had no issues with drop outs or crashing. Getting the lowest latency involves some work. I read on this thread to put your PC in high performance mode and did this before I installed the 1248. To be free of and clicks or pops in the audio I have to set to 'standard' in the Cubase latency setup window and set to 512 samples. This gives me and input latency of 9.3ms and an output latency of 9.3ms. Cubase does not state the round trip latency, but I'm guessing its 18.6ms. This is workable for playing in most things from the keyboard, but I do notice a slight delay when playing in drum parts from a keyboard. The notes are just a bit late when you view in the midi grid editor. My workaround for this is to put Cubase into low latency mode and drop to 256 samples. This then gives me an input latency of 4.5ms and an output latency of 4.5ms, so 9ms roundtrip which is quick enough for me to not notice any delay when inputting from a keyboard. The audio does have a few clicks and pops, but only when I use 4 or 5 VSTi virtual instruments. In fact with that many instruments going on my processor load is around 80% as this is an old PC. I'm sure if I ran an i7 PC, I could run with 9ms latency and not have any problems with the audio. I'm also pretty sure that if all my work was done with recording and playing back audio I could run at 9ms latency. That's a test for another day. I did manage to get Cubase to run in super low latency mode at 128 samples, which gave me a round trip latency of just 5.2ms, but there was quite a lot of clicks and pops going on, but I put this down to my old PC and me just running VSTi virtual instruments during the test. I would love to run the 1248 on an i7 with Cubase 8 Pro, as I'm sure if you only did audio with a few virtual instruments you might get away with that 5.2ms round trip latency setting.

As for the sound. We hard to tell at this point as I've not recorded anything in yet. So far I just used the outputs with virtual instruments so it's difficult to say what the convertors sound like. I've got some other high end converters and will do a test in the future to see how the 1248 compares.

So far I'm liking the Motu 1248, but it would have been nice to not lose half a day of my life to get it to work on a PC. If someone reads this in a year's time when all the units ship with a newer firmware and the manual acknowledges that PC's exist, then they will have a plug and play solution and will be wondering why I had such a hard time during the setup.

It's there, but for a PC user, unless you're willing to put in a bit of work, it's not quite there just yet. it will be though, and the competition should be very worried then.
Rog.

PS... @Mr Miller

Only one problem with the software. When I go to save in the main setup window, after clicking save a whole load of words appear with an error issue somewhere in the list of words. I'll do a screen shot. This does not happen when I save in the routing window.
I cannot thank you enough for posting all this info, owned! Even the bit about finding the software easier to understand than you expected meant an awful lot to me, as I've found the literature confusing and "worrisome" without being able to mouse around with the actual app/s.

I'll be running the AVB system on a 2012 Mac via USB2, and as I've said in this thread, I've been very keen to hear feedback on how things work with USB. Even 'though you're on a PC, I still consider the limitations you experience good references for me.

Anticipating running 3 or 4 interfaces and utilising the max channel count of 64 (for USB), and so have been very nervous about the switch from my trusty PCI424e system... especially in light of the lack of real-world USB2 feedback (for me at least).

Looking forward to your next report - the one on how things run once you're done tracking and commence mixing / rendering VIs and what not.

Awesome, man. Thank you again; I really appreciate it.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Addict

My worries were finally overwhelmed by gear lust and I pulled the trigger on an Ultralite AVB today. I run Windows 8.1 x64, so will try and do a little write-up for people curious about the PC side of things by this weekend.

I'm hopeful this new series represents something of a change for MOTU's rep. Even Mac using friends who praise the stuff up and down warned me away in years past, but the level of community engagement and transparency lately is really encouraging.
Old 15th June 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by drosophila View Post
My worries were finally overwhelmed by gear lust and I pulled the trigger on an Ultralite AVB today. I run Windows 8.1 x64, so will try and do a little write-up for people curious about the PC side of things by this weekend.

I'm hopeful this new series represents something of a change for MOTU's rep. Even Mac using friends who praise the stuff up and down warned me away in years past, but the level of community engagement and transparency lately is really encouraging.
It's running rock solid on Windows 8.1 for me. I did a brief write up of my experiences with it a couple of pages back, and on another thread. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it as well.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I have it running on Win 8.1 also and despite my early posts of an occasional "cannot communicate with app" I am quite pleased with the unit. Even the error is not a big deal since it does not affect the current operational situation and only comes to play when you want to change the routing for example. When it does occur it is an easy fix by restarting the server process within Windows - a couple of mouse clicks.

Of course I would prefer it doesn't do this, but I am not convinced at this point it is a MOTU problem. The app uses one's browser to launch and I am beginning to suspect Chrome is the culprit. I know I have had several problems with chrome and java based apps in the past (don't know if the MOTU app is java btw) so there might be an issue. Based on another posters suggestion I have switched over to Firefox and have not encountered the problem. Too soon to tell, however, since the "problem" only happens once every couple of days or so. Might just be wishful thinking on the browser change but we will see.

Otherwise, at the price-point, I don't think there is anything that can touch it for flexibility and sound quality.
Old 15th June 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Of course I would prefer it doesn't do this, but I am not convinced at this point it is a MOTU problem. The app uses one's browser to launch and I am beginning to suspect Chrome is the culprit. I know I have had several problems with chrome and java based apps in the past (don't know if the MOTU app is java btw) so there might be an issue. Based on another posters suggestion I have switched over to Firefox and have not encountered the problem. Too soon to tell, however, since the "problem" only happens once every couple of days or so. Might just be wishful thinking on the browser change but we will see.

Otherwise, at the price-point, I don't think there is anything that can touch it for flexibility and sound quality.
Can you report back how the change to firefox works out for you in the long run?
I have the same ocassional "could not communicate with the device" bug. I am also using chrome.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirky View Post
Can you report back how the change to firefox works out for you in the long run?
I have the same ocassional "could not communicate with the device" bug. I am also using chrome.
Of course, be happy to
Old 16th June 2015
Here for the gear

I’m glad my post has helped.

I just checked my power setup and it had reverted back to basic. So I changed it to high performance and I am now able to use the low latency mode in Cubase 8 Pro, which gives me a round trip latency of 5.2ms. I’m really pleased with this small amount of latency and it means I won’t need to do any direct monitoring though the 1248, I can set up all my headphone mixes from my analog desk. I can’t vouch for any other DAW’s, but for Cubase 8 Pro on windows 7 64bit on an 8 year old PC its rock solid. Just did a 5 hour session last night without any problems.

When I get time I’ll write a short step by step supplement on how to setup an AVB product after you have taken it out of the box for use on a PC with windows. If Motu have any sense they will make a PDF file from it and put it on there website saying, please download and read this PDF before installing on a windows PC. I really should not be the one who has to write this, and a windows install supplement in PDF format should already be on the Motu website.

If you have the step by step guide to setting up on a PC it could be a pain free task. You could be up and running within 15 mins of taking the unit out of the box.

I’ll get back soon with a test on the converters, but this won’t be for at least 2 weeks as I’m away on business.

Rog.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
It's running rock solid on Windows 8.1 for me. I did a brief write up of my experiences with it a couple of pages back, and on another thread. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on it as well.
I started leaning toward MOTU based on the price point and use of questionable parts in cheaper offerings, but I also wasn't sold on paying more than twice the price for a comparable RME, particularly if they're stuffed with Su'scon capacitors like I saw in photos.

The drivers were/are the last remaining piece to figure out, and you and dgkenney really helped spur me into a final decision. Can't wait to get it!
Old 16th June 2015
Quote:
I started leaning toward MOTU based on the price point and use of questionable parts in cheaper offerings, but I also wasn't sold on paying more than twice the price for a comparable RME, particularly if they're stuffed with Su'scon capacitors like I saw in photos.

The drivers were/are the last remaining piece to figure out, and you and dgkenney really helped spur me into a final decision. Can't wait to get it!
Yea. I remember a producer I work with from time to time, telling me years ago about Motu. I thought he was crazy (based on the motu bashing I read). I got the 4pre earlier this year, and it definitely was a surprise to me on how it sounded - not bad at all, and the drivers through usb were good. I had a little playing to do with firewire - I have a thunderbolt to firewire adapter (asus laptop with thunderbolt port), but eventually got it sorted out. I needed more inputs than I had with the Audient I was recently using. So, I took the plunge based on a few remarks about it, and am certainly glad I did. I'm a computer tech, so it was pretty straightforward to get it up and running on pc. The routing/mixer is different, but a quick email to support (in minutes the guy responded), got it sorted out. Whatever issues they had with support in the past (from what I've read), they're on top of it now.
Old 16th June 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by owned View Post
I’m glad my post has helped.

When I get time I’ll write a short step by step supplement on how to setup an AVB product after you have taken it out of the box for use on a PC with windows. If Motu have any sense they will make a PDF file from it and put it on there website saying, please download and read this PDF before installing on a windows PC. I really should not be the one who has to write this, and a windows install supplement in PDF format should already be on the Motu website.
hey, I think this PDF exists already:
http://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/avb...user-guide.pdf
you can find it here:
MOTU.com - AVB
Old 16th June 2015
So I won't lie, I haven't kept up with the thread (too busy working with my 16a haha), but I do have a few questions/suggestions/problems. First one is, when I turn my 16a on first, and then my iMac, my Mac hangs on the grey apple logo. It's wired in with TB currently. Second, and this is more of a suggestion, is it possible to delegate which ADAT port will be TOS and which one not? I know they both can't simultaneously be, but I'd much rather have my second one do it than my first one, so I can hook up 8 more channels and keep the counts in order, instead of splitting them up!

That's it! No reverb cares, or latency issues here
Old 16th June 2015
Deleted f4b0007
Been having some really weird issues when trying to setup my 16A's and 1248. I have one 1248 and two 16A's that I'll be using for 40 i/o. 1248 as the master, the first 16A connected with AVB and the other 16A connected with optical. I don't know what motu is doing, but something seems REALLY off with the clocking on these units. Like, really bad. Tested it by using just the two 16A's first, then adding the 1248 later. One 16A is the master connected through thunderbolt and the other is slaved to it with AVB. If I run a sin wav from an output of each device and loop it back into itself and have it sum in the box, I get a HUGE phase cancellation. It drops nearly 40db. It's not a perfect phase cancellation either. Inverting the polarity on one of the signals doesn't affect the signal that much. There's a BIG clocking issue with these units. Same applies when linking the two 16A's with optical too. Bad phase between the two signals.

Has anyone else had issues when using multiple units? This would wreak havoc if I went to use this setup with all my outboard and summing. I'm about to return these units. Already talked to MOTU tech support and they're trying to test the issue themselves. Even they seem stumped. How could they not have found this issue before?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search